I'm 10w4d today and feeling exhausted, so I'm spending the day on the couch watching some documentaries on 9/11 and looking back. So much has changed for me - married and now pregnant, 13 years in public safety as an EMT and now an MD.

September 11, 2001 I was newly graduated from college and had just moved into my first apartment on my own the day before. Since I had no power or cable at home yet, I decided to tackle my list of shopping errands. I remember walking into a Michael's looking for storage containers and little shelves for my walls when right there a the customer service counter they had a TV with the news on, showing Tower 1 burning. I didn't think too much of it and went on to my next stop. On the radio in the car, I remember the DJs being very confused, and saying what a "strange day" it was so far. After my next stop and back in the car, the DJs were now talking about terrorists and how we were very likely a target. (The Norfolk, VA area is the Atlantic Coast base for all US Naval operations). I remember being scared and feeling at war.

Thankfully I don't think about that every day, or else I'm sure I couldn't do my job, couldn't live a normal life. But today it's been good to spend some time remembering, being appreciative of what I have, and being thankful for those willing to help and fight.