I'm 36 weeks pregnant and baby is still breech, well more in transverse lie, with no intention to move.
If we don't see a change by Wednesday my OB wants to talk about an external cephalic version (ECV). I'm not sold on it.
Have any of you tried it? Did it work? What was your experience? Were you able to have a vaginal birth or still ended up with a c-section.
I've already been doing Chiro, acupuncture, moxa sticks, on hands and knees for two 1.5 weeks. No change so far.
pear / 1718 posts
@elchalten: I was in the same situation as you, doing inversions and going to acupuncture at night to convince LO to flip around. I opted against the ECV with the idea that if the baby can move on its own, he will move naturally. I didn't want to force it because I was paranoid about the cord being too short or tangled.
Of course, he never ended up moving and I had to have an automatic c-section when my water broke at 38 weeks.
In the end, it wasn't the picture perfect natural birth that I had wanted by any means, but it was still a very pleasant experience and I had a perfectly happy and healthy baby at the end. Overall, I had a wonderful experience even though it wasn't what I first imagined.
Everyone is different of course and its such a personal choice. I hope you are able to make a decision about the ECV and wish you the best!
apricot / 360 posts
I was is your same position last month... 36 weeks and breech. I had a scheduled consult for and attempt at and an ECV at 38 weeks but my water broke that morning and I went into the hospital for a csection. The two weeks prior I went to the chiro and accupuncturist multiple times. I also did pretty much everything on the spinning babies website. I had planned an unmedicated birth at a birthing center but the little guy had other plans. I was very upset at the time but now four weeks later I've accepted it.
Sorry, I realize this isn't much help but thought I'd share that I know how you feel.
pomelo / 5073 posts
My baby was breech from 33 weeks on. My dr advised against an evc being of the mindset that the baby would move head down if it come and if it doesn't move down it is because it can't or something would go wrong. I didn't want to do an evc either. LO was born at 38 weeks via c-section. She didn't have any room to turn, so I'm really glad we didn't try an evc. Marionberry had an evc that didn't work and I think kemma had a successful one. Hopefully they will chime in!
grapefruit / 4291 posts
Just saw this thread!
@elchalten: I had a successful ECV at 38 weeks and went on to have a vaginal delivery at 41w 2d.
My LO flipped herself extended breech at 35-36 weeks but I could often feel her trying to turn herself and she would hang out kinda transverse. I had one OB decline to do the ECV but two other OB's were happy to do it (my platelets were dropping and i was starting to swell so i had other complications) and like one OB said to me, the statistics / 50% success rates don't mean alot when dealing with each individual case.
The actual procedure was the biggest non-event and the monitoring before and after took longer than the ECV which took about 30 seconds! I think even the OB was surprised how quickly she turned and said that I'd made his day
My philosophy was that without trying the ECV a C-section was my only option and even if baby was distressed she would only arrive one week ahead of a potential c-section but the risk of an emergency delivery was only 0.5%.
pear / 1614 posts
@elchalten: I found out DS was breech at 36 weeks 4 days and they offered an ECV at 37 weeks. We tried it but after a half hour or more of pushing they could not get him to budge. I know he had been breech the whole time because his position felt the same as it had for weeks. In retrospect I wish we hadn't tried, It is a little uncomfortable (not physically but the thought) to have them pushing and not knowing exactly what they are pushing. I agree with PPs that if it were possible to move, maybe they will move on their own.
I also tried every pose on spinning babies, acupuncture, moxa sticks, etc and he refused to turn. I had a scheduled c section at 39 weeks 1 day and the OB said when they pulled him out that he was really wedged in there.
As for the c section, I had a great experience. It wasn't the birth I had dreamed of but I'm glad I accepted it a couple of days before delivery and stopped obsessing over getting him to turn, I was able to enjoy the last couple days of pregnancy and get excited to meet my son!!
apricot / 288 posts
I did ECV. The baby was monitored the whole time so I saw no risk and if it triggered labor, well I was fine with that and I was already full term. It was painless and completely worth the chance of avoiding a c-section if it worked, but it did not. I ended up with a planned c-section at 39 weeks and glad I did because her arms were caught up in the cord preventing her from turning (although she was not in danger). Personally, from everything I read and speaking to my OB and a good friend who is an OB, I think the other methods you try yourself are more risky. There is still a chance of turning on its own but if there is a reason the baby is not turning, the other methods can be dangerous or induce labor.
pomelo / 5041 posts
I had a breech baby from almost 20 weeks in. Honestly looking back my torso is so short I just think he couldn't change back after that. I tried the ECV which was suggested to me by my OB. It wasn't done until almost 38 weeks. As I was preparing, all of the nurses told me how painful of a procedure it was. I'd heard happy stories online (maybe their drs did it under anesthesia) so I thought I would be different. While it was important for me to try I will never do it again. I have a huge pain tolerance and this was the most painful thing I have felt or ever will feel. I screamed at one point but the nurses say women are usually bawling and that I did better than most. Afterward you feel like you got hit by a car. When the baby never budged they stopped and scheduled my c-section. I don't regret it because if wanted to try every option but if you don't handle pain well I would just skip it. You can pm me for additional details or questions.