Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Gardening 2015

1. chopsuey

hostess / wonderful honeydew / 32460 posts

@Grace: We picked up a few bags of peat moss from home depot/lowes! $13 bucks for a 40+lb bag! Dug a large hole, threw in the peat moss and planted the blueberry plant x5!
    My dad says they should be ready for picking come june!

2. regberadaisy

GOLD / wonderful pomegranate / 28905 posts

@Grace: coffee grounds help to add acidity! And thanks for those tips. Those are great.

3. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@Grace: Maybe a day or two but I think it's pretty much over. We only got a few good rains this winter. We have severe drought conditions in California right now. It totally sucks because I love the rain!

Where is everyone else from?

4. regberadaisy

@MrsHansen82: I'm in upstate (not westchester, real upstate ) NY. No planting till after memorial day and it started getting cold end of August / early September. Super short growing season here.

5. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@chopsuey: @regberadaisy: So you're saying I should bite the bullet!

@MrsHansen82: I'm in Canada, on the prairies. We plant on our long weekend, which is a week earlier than your Memorial Day. The growing season lasts until September, I'd say. I'm super jealous of your long growing season. Although, your water bill must be atrocious if you have to water the plants every day. Always a trade off, I guess.

6. SugarplumsMom

bananas / 9227 posts

@Grace: I usually bury down my tomato seedlings each time I repot them. I like to baby them in the beginning When it's time to plant them out, I say goodbye and hand them over to DH.

This thread has gotten me so excited for the new season!

7. SugarplumsMom

bananas / 9227 posts

@chopsuey: Your blueberry bushes look great! Ours isn't doing too good. DH's tried adding coffee grounds, we'll see if it helps.

@regberadaisy: Did your bin have holes in the bottom? It needs holes for the worms to get in and help do their work

8. jedeve

pomegranate / 3643 posts

@MrsHansen82: Montana! Tomatoes are a struggle here (my early girls weren't ripe by the first frost!). We can get snow as late as Memorial Day and as early as Labor Day. But summers are actually pretty nice.

I am soooo tired after a cruddy night of sleep. But this is supposed to be the only nice day all week so I want to prep my raised bed and plant some spinach!

9. jedeve

pomegranate / 3643 posts

@chopsuey: what zone are you in? I want to order some bushes online but I am worried they will be too young to put outside yet.

10. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

We have two small raised garden beds. We're still trying to figure out what we're going to plant this year but so far we know we'll have:

Heirloom tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Edamame
    Basil
    Lettuces
    Mint
    Not sure what else - carrots or peppers. Did broccoli last year and wasn't a fan. Did cucumbers and they just take over everything

11. chopsuey

hostess / wonderful honeydew / 32460 posts

@jedeve: I'm 20 miles north of Atlanta, GA!
    Had freezing temps over night the last few nights, but it's gonna warm up into the 70-80s this upcoming week

12. Chaosmaven

apricot / 315 posts

@jedeve: We ordered ours from Stark Bros. Nursery, based in Missouri. Great customer service and lots of different plants for all different zones. I didn't know much about blueberries, but depending on which zone you live in, there are special northern bush types that can handle cold temps and others that do well in warm temps. I used this book for all my fruit growing research - http://www.amazon.com/The-Fruit-Gardeners-Bible-Complete/dp/160342567 - It is really fantastic!

13. SugarplumsMom

bananas / 9227 posts

Sad, sad news about my tomatoes They're obviously stunted. I figured it's due to the large container, which affected the air circulation and kept the soil too moist. They've been on the windowsill now for the last 2 weeks (since the sun is out) but they're still puny. We put them out of their misery tonight and they barely had any roots. After years of successfully growing heirloom tomatoes from seed, we've resigned to buying a plant from Ikea We'll likely grab a few other varieties at the garden center as well.

But our pumpkin seedlings are looking good! How is everyone's plants looking?

14. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@SugarplumsMom: Oh no! I bet you are right though. I know when you buy the Jiffy seed starter kit they say to take off the lid once it sprouts or else it will get too moist.

I'm hoping to seed the cold weather plants in a couple weeks. And my tulips and irises and daylilles are all up. It's getting closer to summer!!

15. regberadaisy

So the seedlings in the indoor pots didn't take off. We ended up buying plants from a local nursery. They're doing very well! We've got basil, thyme, curly parsley and dill

Trying container gardening for the first time this year. Did a bit of reading up on it and hope it takes off!
    We've got tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cukes, yellow squash, green beans, yellow/red/green peppers and sugar snap peas.

16. Greentea

pomelo / 5678 posts

OOooo! We just started our garden plot at our community garden. I started tons of:

Beets
    Broccoli
    Kale
    Tomatoes
    Peppers
    Cucumbers
    Marigold mix
    Marigold cottage red
    Cardinal flower vine
    Sunflowers
    Lupine
    Lavender
    Mint
    Strawberries

I hope to attract some hummingbirds!

@sandy: that's so cool you are doing edamame! Great idea...

17. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

My first harvest! These are the Early Girl tomatoes in the last picture. I have some Bush Goliath ripening too(middle). My squash got attacked by aphids so it's a little behind.

18. regberadaisy

@turquoisemama: amazing you grew them in a cardboard box!!!!

19. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@turquoisemama: lol - i only saw your first pic and could only think "where's the tomatoes"? They look great. Mine have just started blooming and everything else is small. It's all up though!

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee