Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2015 Labor and Deliveries!

1. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@ndepet: congrats!

@Aria: good luck! With #1 my water was leaking for about 2 hours then contractions started. Maybe your contractions will start on their own soon

2. Mrs. Rabbit

blogger / clementine / 750 posts

@Aria: YAY! hope it all works out how you want it too and that contractions start on their own!

3. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

I guess I've been having contractions but I couldn't feel anything. I was only 2cm when they checked me when I got there but because my water broke they admitted me. They just started pitocin so I imagine I'll be feeling the contractions soon. I'm having a baby today!

4. youboots

honeydew / 7622 posts

@Aria: yay, thanks for the update. You are going to do great mama!!

5. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Aria: that's how mine were, I couldn't really feel the contractions, and they started me on pitocin since my water broke. It wasn't bad, hope yours is the same. Good luck!

6. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Aria: good luck!!!

7. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@Aria: Good luck!! Thinking of you today!

8. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

Well baby Charlotte arrived at midnight on the dot today. 7lbs, 6 oz and absolutely perfect.

9. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Aria: yay congrats!! Love her name. Hope you're doing well!!

10. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

@Aria: congratulations!

11. MrsMccarthy

honeydew / 7295 posts

@ndepet: ccongratulations and enjoy your boy!

@Aria: hooray! How wonderful. Enjoy the snuggles

12. Mrs. Lion

blogger / grapefruit / 4836 posts

@Aria: Congratulations!!!

13. mrs. tictactoe

blogger / pomegranate / 3201 posts

@ndepet: congrats!!!

14. mrs. tictactoe

@Aria: congrats!!!

15. mrs. tictactoe

Wow, these babies are really coming!!! I can't believe how fast time is flying!

16. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Aria: Yay - congratulations! What a great name! Hope you and Charlotte are doing well today.

17. Mrs. Rabbit

@Aria: Congratulations!!!

18. Mrs. Coral

clementine / 812 posts

@Aria: Congratulations!!! Beautiful name!

19. ndepet

pea / 24 posts

thanks so much all! i never thought i could love something so much.

20. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@Aria: Yay!! Congratulations, Mama!!!

21. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@ndepet: Congratulations!!! Yay for babies!!!

22. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

Here is how Baby C joined our family!

Throughout my pregnancy, my BP was pretty much perfect, but starting at my 32 week appointment, it was just a little bit higher than usual. On 1/15 I went to the OB for my 36 week appointment, and again, my BP was slightly elevated, but nothing Dr. J was too worried about. He indicated we'd just check it again at my appointment the following week. DH asked Dr. J if it would be a good idea for us to monitor my BP between appoints. Dr. J said if we wanted to, we could, but we didn't need to be too worked up over it. He did tell us that if the reading was higher than 150/100, to call the office.

On Friday, my MIL came over to our house to help us out - she did some deep cleaning and organizing for us. She also brought her BP cuff for us to borrow. DH & I decided to hit our registry stores to make the final purchases of things we felt like we needed before the baby came. We bought and DH installed the video monitor. That night, we were sitting on the couch watching TV, and I felt like my heart suddenly started racing. I was concerned, because I just *knew* if we checked my BP it would be high enough that we would need to call the office. Long story short, we ended up in L&D triage at about 9 p.m. on Friday, 1/16.

Once in triage, they monitored by BP and did a urine test, and they also tested my reflexes. The urine test was negative for protein, but my BP stayed elevated, and my reflexes were "brisk". (Side note - I never knew that this could be a red flag. Also, some people just have brisk reflexes, and because they never tested my reflexes before that night, they had no baseline to know if mine were out of the ordinary...) The nurse told us that while this information was a little worrisome, we would likely be sent home. In fact, she told us to get dressed, and that the doctor would be in to see us before discharging us. When Dr. S, who was on call that night, made it to our room, though, she told us she wanted to keep us overnight. She ordered a 24-hour urine sample and wanted to monitor my BP every 4 hours.

Around 1 a.m. on Saturday, 1/17, we were admitted. We thought we'd see Dr. S before 8 a.m., when her shift ended, and that we'd be sent home with instructions to complete the 24-hour urine and stay off my feet. But we didn't see Dr. S before she left. Dr. J was the next doctor on call, and we were told he'd come up to see us very soon, and again, we were expecting to be discharged with some specific instructions. Dr. J delivered a TON of babies that day (including 5 babies in a single 40-minute stretch!), and it was 5 p.m. before he made it to my room to see me. 5 p.m also happened to be just minutes after a BP reading...my highest reading yet. Dr. J was concerned about the number at that point, and he recommended an induction. Suddenly it looked like we'd be having a baby soon! Since we were 36+ weeks, the risk to DS was greater in the womb than out. But, because I was only 36 weeks, Dr. J warned us that it might take a couple of days before I would actually deliver!

We decided to start by taking Cytotec to ripen my cervix, and I'd also get an Ambien to help me sleep (which was super appealing because I didn't sleep at all on Friday night), and then start Pitocin around 8 a.m. on Sunday. He said we'd have a baby probably Sunday or Monday, but maybe even Tuesday, depending on how stubborn my body was to go into labor.

We checked into our room in L&D at 9 p.m. on 1/17. When Dr. J checked my progress before administering the Cytotec, we got our next surprise - I was already 2cm and 70% effaced. I wouldn't need the Cytotec! Instead, my Pitocin IV started at 9:50 p.m. Honestly, I was bummed to miss out on the Ambien!

I labored all night with the help of some narcotics, and the pain was mostly manageable. The contraction monitor showed slow, rolling contractions, nothing too serious, so my Pitocin was increased incrementally overnight. The pain starting getting more intense the closer we got to daylight, and I asked for an epidural. At 5:45 a.m., my water broke on it's own. Then I REALLY wanted the epidural! Once the epidural was in place, things became much more manageable, though I could still feel each contraction. The Pitocin was doing it's job, and the nurse started backing off on the dosage since things seemed to be moving along.

Dr. S came back on call at 8 a.m., and when she checked me, I was 3cm and 90% effaced. I was also bummed. This was going to take a while! I continued to labor, and all the while, they checked my BP every 30 minutes. Around 10 a.m., my BP spiked again, and I developed a fever. Dr. S told me that if I were a good patient, when she checked me, I'd be at 10cm and ready to push. Otherwise, they would have to start magnesium for the BP, and an antibiotic for the fever, which would automatically mean a trip to the NICU for DS. She wanted me to be able to avoid both of those things. As it turns out, I'm a good patient, and I was 9.5cm! She said I had a small lip, but that we could get ready to push, and I could avoid the magnesium and antibiotic. Between 8 and 10 a.m., I finished dilating - so crazy!

I officially started pushing at 10:45 a.m., and DS made his grand entrance at 12:21 p.m. on Sunday, 1/18. He weighed 5lbs 12oz, and was 18 inches long. He is just perfect! He passed all of his tests and screenings in the hospital with flying colors, and he was able to come home with us on Tuesday 1/20. He was a little early by our standards, but for him, he was right on time!

(Thanks for bearing with me on the novel of a birth story!)

23. Mrs. Lion

@HeartAbandoned: wow what a story!! I am so glad everything worked out and you were able to avoid the nicu congratulations!!

24. MrsMccarthy

honeydew / 7295 posts

@HeartAbandoned: amazing story!!!! So glad it all went well.

25. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

Hi ladies. So I'm currently in the hospital with cervidil, step 1 for my surprise induction because some labs came back a bit concerning and they are calling it mild pre-eclampsia so far it's no fun being hooked up to all these machines when I had my heart set on laboring at home for the majority of my labor and then going to a birth center instead of a hospital... Just mourning my original plan over here and hoping I can get a good nights sleep tonight and then have a healthy delivery tomorrow

26. Mrs. Coral

clementine / 812 posts

@Circusbee:thinking of you and wishing you a healthy delivery! I hope it goes as closely to what you had in mind as possible. Will be thinking of you tonight.

27. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Circusbee: Thinking of you. Something very similar happened to me, and I was really disappointed too, but I had to mentally switch over to believing it was the best thing for me and my baby and becoming excited to meet him. You'll do great!

28. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@Kbee: thanks, I'm trying to do that. The more info I get about how my labs were not the greatest the more I know this is right. I'm trying not to think about what I'm missing out on too much and just make the best of it... Like having cable tv for the time being (no cable at home)

@Mrs. Coral: thank you!

29. Mrs. Lion

@Circusbee: good luck momma! We are in trouble....all these babies seem to have a mind of their own already! I hope all goes as smoothly as possible!

30. MrsMccarthy

honeydew / 7295 posts

@Circusbee: have a beautiful birth! I was induced and it was not what I wanted but I still think of it pretty fondly. You will do great.

31. mrs. tictactoe

@Circusbee: lots of love!

32. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

Ahh I had a baby! Luke was born last night, February 10th at 8:08 pm - 37w3d, 6lbs 13oz, 20 in, and the most shockingly different birth than I ever imagined I would have. I will definitely write up my story in great detail but... My contractions were mild and 8+ min apart from 6-7pm. At 7:15pm my water broke violently and we barely made it to the ER of the closest hospital by ambulance by 8pm and he was born in one shocking push He is healthy and gorgeous and DH and are totally in love but so so shellshocked!!

@Circusbee: good luck!! You will do beautifully. I am also wrapping my head around a change in plans... It's a lot to take in!!

33. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Mrs. Lion: lol I just read your comment about the babies having minds of their own! They certainly are giving us all a run for our money

34. Mrs. Lion

@loopedd: eek!!! Congratulations momma!!

35. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@loopedd: Oh my goodness!! Congratulations! What an insanely short labor. I'm glad you made it to the hospital and that everyone is doing well!

36. mrs. tictactoe

@loopedd: wow!!!! Congrats!!

37. MrsMccarthy

honeydew / 7295 posts

@loopedd: wow! That's amazing! Congratulations!!!

38. Mrs. Rabbit

@loopedd: holy cow, congrats!!!!

39. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@loopedd: Wow!! Congratulations mama & welcome baby Luke!

40. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

Ruby arrived this afternoon - 20.5 in and 8 lb 4 oz. via an (unexpected) c-section. She was frank breech, and has a huge head, so we are confident the c section was the best choice. Latched on like a pro! We are in love.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee