Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

What is the violent crime rate/100k people where you live, and do you feel safe?

1. Tanjowen

nectarine / 2521 posts

Mine pulled up percentages, and for violent crime we are only 4% per 1,000 people. Property crime is way, way higher, 28% per 1,000.

I echo what @Sapphiresun: mentioned in her post: most violent crime is not stranger related. I work for a prosecutor's office and I can think of less than 10 random violent crimes in the past 9 years I've worked there (and to clarify, we live in an outlying suburb of Atlanta, not the city). You are much more likely to be a victim of property crime and those status would matter more to me if I wasn't planning on living in a major city.

2. Ra

honeydew / 7586 posts

My city is consistently vying for the top murder rate in the country and our violent crime rate is about 1200/100k. That being said, I have never felt unsafe here. Most of our violence is drug or gang related and very seldom are bystanders involved.

3. JerricaBenton

pomegranate / 3872 posts

30/100k. Small town, east coast 'burbs. We definitely feel safe here.

4. ms.line

pear / 1770 posts

351 here. I've never really felt unsafe, especially in my neighborhood.

5. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

NYC is a big place... 623.9 for the whole city. My general area says 305, it's still a big area and includes some of the largest housing projects in the city. I feel really safe. There are always other people around, the deli on the corner and lots of doorman buildings. But it also takes a lot for me to get worried, I venture far and wide (not so much lately) but often late at night and rarely have felt like i was somewhere I really should be.

6. Orchid

clementine / 927 posts

16/100k. We live in a small country town.

7. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

548/100,000. I live in Columbus Ohio. Like any city, there are better and worse parts. And like most cities I'm aware of, the good and bad parts are pretty interspersed and sometimes close together. In my actual neighborhood I feel pretty safe. We walk to and from friends' houses a few blocks away with no worry. There isn't going to be a drive by or random violence in our neighborhood. That being said, I don't know that there is anywhere in the city I wouldn't be aware of my surroundings in because bad things can and do happen everywhere and I'm pretty careful.

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee