Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016- Gear, Registries, and Nurseries

1. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@ShootingStar: @pwnstar: Both strollers for sure have their 'pros'/cons. What is that other bar over top the basket?

2. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@pwnstar: Yeah, we initially ruled it out because of how it maneuvered in the store as a double. But with constantly bumping into things in the b-ready it wasn't easy for me to push except outside. Plus I decided I didn't think DS would do well with it as a double and needing to be on the bottom. I don't even know much much we'll actually use the stroller as a double anyways though. I think it'll probably be for bigger outings like the zoo. A huge plus for us too is that our carseat clicks into the CS. I hated using the universal adapter on the b-ready and always felt like it wasn't that secure.

3. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I think it's just for stability. It's never bothered me because we actually have our seat in the lower position. There's a higher and a lower position you can put the seat in, and in the lower one I think the bottom is so close to that bar it doesn't affect the basket anyways. What's nice about the basket is that it zips out so it looks kind of like the UBV (which has the awesomest basket). I never have a problem getting stuff in there.

4. T.H.O.U.

@ShootingStar: We have LOVED our Britax car seats so that was always a no brainer for us. We are actually really excited to get to use the new B Safe this time around. Last time we had the Chaperone.

5. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@ShootingStar: We have a Britax car seat, so we are also able to click in and go with the BR (I don't have any experience with the universal adapter). That was also a huge plus for us. It is just so hard to know what will fit a user/family best until much later (and after a few uses).

6. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@T.H.O.U.: We originally bought the Chaperone and it wouldn't fit in my car . We tried out the b-safe too and no dice. I have really long legs and I'm claustrophobic so I like to sit far back, especially when pregnant. So I had a tough time finding seats that worked in my car, even though it's an SUV.

7. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

Good to know about the height issues -- I didn't notice when I was pushing the strollers around, but I'm a shortie (5'3"). I'll definitely want my husband to try them out. He's not super tall, but at 5'8" definitely taller than me

8. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@mrschickpea: I really can't wait to see what you do with the closet. Mine is also big - the entire length of a wall in the room. I have an old ugly dresser in the middle of it. It has a three huge panel ugly closet doors. And one little wire across the whole thing to hang close. I, too, think there is so much potential in the closet. Just nervous about jumping into the project! DH and I aren't too handy.

@pwnstar: Thank you for the great advice!! And lucky girl, being so tall.

@T.H.O.U.: Can you please share a picture of your teal/blue nursery??? And you are tall, too! So many tall girls in this group!

@Pirouette: I would leave the wall color and theme too! Its nice to take the easy route, you know??

9. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

@agold: lol, we really aren't all that handy either which is why we went with a closet system instead of trying to create our own I'm going to paint the back wall light grey so it pops a bit more, I think it will be neat!

10. T.H.O.U.

@agold: This is a really bad old picture.

We now have the crib more centered and dont have the giraffe stuff. I think this time since we know its a girl, maybe when I move her in there, I will put up some girlier curtains.

11. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: I'm NOT tall. LOL. 5'2" over here with proportionately short legs We used the frame stroller with the Chicco Keyfit 30 and then switched to the City Mini once he outgrew the bucket seat. Worked great for our needs.

@T.H.O.U.: Looks so cool!

@ShootingStar: Nice job on the nursery! We really need to get cracking on ours. It's currently yellow -- which we decided to paint it when we moved into the house 4 years ago. I've since decided it's just not the right color. I think we'll just paint the room the same color tan that DS's room has. Then use accessories to bring in color. I'm such a chicken for color on the walls.

12. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: That is an awesome deep blue. And I do love the giraffes! I think its a great nursery. Where did you have your baby's picture taken? It looks so cute up on the wall!

13. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@pregnantbee: Thanks! It looks a little funny because nothing's on the walls right now. We're going to try to put everything up this weekend, because that chair actually goes in DS's room! Eventually we'll buy him a new one that just rocks and put the recliner in the baby's room.

14. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

@ShootingStar: So so jealous of how far you have gotten in your nursery! Looks great!

15. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

@MrsSCB: We bought our B Agile solely based off online reviews, its worked out fantastically, and we will reuse with DS. However, we never went to BBB or any of the other baby stores to test drive a stroller (we also only went to Target), and if we would have, I think I would have ended up with an Uppababy Vista or a City Select... so so fancy Anyway I recommend going to the baby store and looking at the 50 + strollers before you buy!

16. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I love the navy!

17. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@ShootingStar: I may have asked you this before, and I"m sorry if I did. But does the weight of the Mesa car seat bother you at all? I'm planning to get that car seat and I'm happy to hear from you that it fits in your car well.

Also, any thoughts on sedan vs. suv? I have a good sized sedan right now but my lease is up between now and august and DH thinks I need a small suv. I'd like to keep the sedan. So girls with kids already, are you okay with getting the kids in and out of a sedan?

18. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

@agold: SUV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a tiny Jetta (we got it pre-baby) and the only reason we haven't upgraded is because it is paid off, only has 45K miles on it so still has a lot of life left in it, and the cash outflows to daycare now and come next January too.

Every single day, every single day, I have to remind myself that in like another 5 years I can get my big SUV (thinking Honda Pilot or something else with the 3 rows).

I have to bend DD and myself awkwardly to get her into her convertible carseat. With a SUV, even a small one, you will get that extra foot of height so you hopefully wont have this problem. She was RF but it got to be too annoying, so we ended up switching her to FF sooner than I would have liked. She has a Clek Foonf, and they can RF until 4.

19. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@MrsBeluga: I hear a lot about the bending. But my sedan is certainly bigger than a jetta. Do you think a bigger sedan would make a better difference, or no difference at all?

20. ClairHuxtable

olive / 52 posts

With all the talk of double strollers, I have a question for the moms of 2+. Did any of you survive without a double stroller? I did a lot of babywearing with my LO, and I'm thinking that (after the baby arrives and during those times when we would use a stroller) I may be able to get away with wearing LO2 while pushing LO1 in the stroller. Is there something I'm not considering? We have the opportunity to get a hand-me-down City Select, but we don't have a lot of space (so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take it or we should pass on it).

21. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

I brought DH to test strollers and we're now leaning toward the City Mini. But that means we need to figure out which car seat to get that can clip into it. Seems like there are a lot of choices (like with all baby items apparently...) Any carseat recs?

22. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@MrsSCB: We bought a City Mini when I knew DS would be too big for the infant bucket seat and the frame stroller we got to go with it. We got the Chicco Keyfit 30 and then the (about) $100 frame stroller that it snaps into. The frame is really light, has a large basket, and you don't have to buy anything extra for it to work together. We never used our car seat with the City Mini.

23. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

I just ordered my crib! I ordered the matching changing table, too. It will be delivered mid-May. I can't believe it!

24. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

wonderful pea / 17279 posts

@agold: that's going to look fabulous with your glider #glidertwins!

25. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: Ha! Thank you for saying that! I was actually really worried about whether or not this crib would look okay with the glider. Did you see LON is now doing 15% off of upholstery? I haven't ordered the ottoman yet so I'm contemplating doing so now. Also, have you had the glider delivered yet? I got called last week about delivery but haven't called yet to set it up! I'm so nervous to start getting all of this delivered!

26. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

wonderful pea / 17279 posts

@agold: mine arrives on Wednesday ...don't remind me of the sale. I only got a 10% discount. I'd like to get one of those fancy leather Moroccan poufs to go with it. HA! Deliveries galore! Our house looks like a warehouse at this point. Everything for baby is still in boxes.

27. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: I'm starting to look like a baby ware house too! And shoot. I'm going to have to look what discount I actually got off my glider. If it wasn't 15% I'm going to throw a fit.

28. T.H.O.U.

@agold: very pretty!

That big consignment sale is next Thursday so I'm sure we will have some gear around after that point!

29. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@agold: That's a gorgeous crib!

30. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@AprilFool: Thank you! Now I'm just hoping I can make the room overall feel as cool as I think the crib looks.

31. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

I'm bored out of my skull already and can't believe August is so far away.
    I compensate by buying things,obviously.

I've just been going through old clothes and removing stuff I don't like anymore or anything that I saved that I now see a stain on.
    I loved those little sleeper gowns with my daughter, but am realizing they may not be as useful with a baby who is little during the fall since feet and legs won't be as covered.
    I'm trying to put myself on a purchasing hold because when we go to Maine in the summer we stop by the Hanna Andersson outlet....❤
    We are also going to need cold weather stuff in size 6mos. I have a couple fleece snow suits that I was handed down or bought used, but they are both 3 mos. - my daughter was on the small side, but even if this baby follows her growth trajectory I think we will need the next size up to get us through the end of winter. I will probably wait to purchase those though.

I got some new diaper covers last week, so now we just needs new more cloth wipes and we are pretty set in that department.
    I finished my first crib sheet, have another one to sew and then the changing pad covers. Our glider should be delivered next week! And w are painting at least the first coat this weekend.
    My husband has sanded about half the crib, and we got the paint so I can finish that up soon too.
    Trying to get most of these indoor projects done by mid May when gardening/ planting will start in full swing and we will have our hands full outside!

Where is everyone else in their preparations?

Oh! And I purchased a ring sling of the Facebook swap and I love it. I'm recklessly considering buying a woven wrap, too, even though I've never tried it before,...

32. T.H.O.U.

@Silva: Yes to the shopping to pass time! I'm really trying to hold off but its hard! For some reason going through things, DD (also born in August) had a lot of short sleeve stuff. I'm not really sure what all she wore through winter.

33. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@T.H.O.U.: @Silva: I am with you on buying stuff sort of just to buy...

On the topic of strollers and seats...does anyone use or know of anyone who uses Recaro products? They're made here in Michigan and my DH supplies them with material. It looks like they're just breaking into the infant bucket seat market (main industry is race car seating and convertible child seats) but we may try and test drive one in the next few days if I can find a store that stocks them.

34. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@Silva: I know, it seems so far away, right?! It's like you're supposed to feel "yay, half way done!" and instead I feel like "OMG, all the time I've put in I now need to do it all over again."

@MrsKerch: Recaro always seems to get really good reviews here on HB. I'm sure if you do a search for it you'll see lots of stuff about them. My biggest advice about carseats is to make sure it fits in your car! I'm tall and I'm claustrophobic, so having to have the seat of my car all the way up is just a no-go for me. We had bought a car seat and because I drive a large SUV we just assumed it would be fine. We didn't realize until we went to install it that it wasn't going to work. We were luckily able to return it on the last possible day.

I also really regretted I didn't figure everything out with the carseat sooner, because we had bought a stroller to work with the carseat that we had to return. I wish I'd made a better choice from the beginning about both. I know a lot of people use snap n go's at the beginning and get another stroller later, but I wanted a nicer stroller and I figured why use a cheaper one that doesn't drive as nice instead of using the good one from the beginning?

35. T.H.O.U.

@MrsKerch: A local store carries them and Ive seen them in person. They have always seemed a bit bulky to me but Ive never really compared side by side.

This is a great site: http://carseatblog.com
    http://csftl.org
    http://thecarseatlady.com

36. T.H.O.U.

@ShootingStar: Agree! I think step 1 with baby gear should be the car seat!

37. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Silva: The baby's room is painted, we have the crib and bedding (we just need to put the crib together), and a dresser and glider for the room. I still need to buy and put up blackout curtains. And in addition to the very few clothing items I have from DD that are neutral, I have one new outfit for him (and that was a gift from a good friend!). I can't believe I haven't bought him any clothes yet! I was really preoccupied with getting DD's room together (we're almost there!) before putting the nursery together . . . I don't think I'm too far behind . . . ?

I do a lot of window shopping though! I love to shop online anyway, especially when I'm procrastinating at work(!).

@MrsKerch: I don't know anyone who has Recaro products (but it's not like I go around checking in other people's cars either!). We had a Britax infant seat and now have two Clek Foonfs (and have a B-Ready and an UB G-Luxe for strollers). But when I hear Recaro, I think racing (seats)! Is it the same company?

38. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

@Silva: I keep wanting to BUY ALL THE THINGS!! It's just a bit harder as we are team green and I want to save a bit of the shopping for after the birth when we know the sex! We have a couple of drawers full of clothing already and some fitted sheets so we should be good for a bit. We'll be getting a keekaroo changing pad so that we won't have to get changing pad covers so that will be nice.

Hopefully, we will get the closet organizer in this weekend so I can start putting some things away!

39. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@pwnstar: They are the same company! And its like the ONLY thing DH has commented on regarding baby gear other than the price tag so I want to try and honor that if he's taken the time to inquire.

40. T.H.O.U.

@MrsKerch: Here is the direct link.

http://csftl.org/recaro-performance-coupe-review/

Here is what I would mention:
    Good - No rethread seat strap; tall shell height (if you have tall babies); Double crotch strap positions;
    Cons - Long base (measure for sure in your car); Handle must be in odd position while in vehicle.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee