Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2014 Moms: Birth stories

1. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@snowjewelz: amazing job! You worked hard to get that baby into your arms

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@snowjewelz: Fantastic story!!! I'm so happy for you!! What a long induction though! And pushing for two hours - exhausting!! I had to push for an hour with Xander and didn't think I'd be able to make it! Congratulations again!!!

3. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@snowjewelz: Wow, amazing job mama! That's quite a story!

4. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

I don't even know how I pushed that long. I def remember thinking this is the last push I can muster up haha.

The best part for me besides meeting K was prob the epidural. Getting it was pleasant and feeling like jello was pretty awesome too!

Worst part was the beginning with the meds but no dilation; and of course the pushing.

I really love reading everyone's experience! It's crazy how we have anticipated this for 9 months and here we are, home with our brand new LOs!

5. Adira

@snowjewelz: I'm amazed that you pushed for that long. I pushed for 10 minutes and was crying "I can't I can't I can't" the whole time, haha. I'm a wuss.

Also, are you home already?? Or are you still in the hospital?

6. snowjewelz

@Adira: trust me I was pretty whiny through it all lol. Got home in the afternoon. Our stay was shorter since I didn't have Her till late Thurs night. I just didn't want to be at the hospital anymore!

7. Adira

@snowjewelz: I don't blame you, especially given how long your induction was!!

8. snowjewelz

@Adira: I don't think I ever replied about your birth story, but having gone through birth now you deserve some amazing applause for being meds free (doesn't matter if it's not of free will hehe). Towards the end I just couldn't take that feeling of having so much rectal pressure!

@MrsF: I'm going back to read your birth story again... I had the same thing w/ the epidural, it was so weird! I was complete jello for a pretty long time, but towards the end this one spot on my left was painful and I knew that the epidural can miss a spot so I knew there's nothing they can do, but I was being a pretty pathetic whiner about it!

9. Adira

@snowjewelz: haha, thanks! I think it made it easier the fact I didn't have a choice!

10. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

Micah's birth story:

I had to be at the hospital at 5:00am- needless to say we didn't get much sleep the night before. They checked me in and I was about 2cm dilated and 80% thinned out. They hooked me up to the monitor and wanted to watch Micah a bit before starting the pitocin. When the nurse came in to start the pitocin, (probably around 6:30) I asked her how soon contractions would start. She told me that I actually was already contracting. I guess being a FTM I had no idea what to expect the contractions to feel like so I had been passing them off as something else. They started the pitocin slow and gradually moved it up. Contractions started picking up but they weren't very painful yet. My doctor then broke my water and inserted internal monitors. I wasn't progressing very fast until I was given the epidural at 3cm dilated. By then though I was begging for that epidural. Contractions had started becoming more intense. The epidural relaxed me for awhile and I started progressing really quick from there. I no longer felt them on my stomach but started feeling them down low and on my back. The epidural didn't touch that pain. I started screaming and crying through the contractions. Gene was on one side of me letting me squeeze his hand and giving me words of encouragement. My mom was at the other side with a cold wash cloth wiping my face and she took control of helping me get through the contractions one by one. My nurse and doctor came in and I told them it felt like I needed to push, they checked me again and in no time I went from a 3 to a 7. That was pure relief. I couldn't wait to finally start pushing so that the pain would stop. Honestly, the pain totally consumed me and it was all I could think about. But I was getting more excited to meet my baby. When I got to a 10, it was time to start pushing. Little did I know pushing would hurt worse than the contractions. I was totally and completely exhausted. It took absolutely all of my strength and I felt like I needed to vomit with each push. I pushed for an hour. I really wanted to avoid a csection so my doctor was trying to help me, but by the way my pelvis and tailbone was shaped, baby just couldn't get passed it. I actually begged for the csection and my doctor agreed that I could push all night and he didn't think baby would be able to pass through. They got me prepped and wheeled me to the OR. And man was it freezing in that room. After the spinal block, I felt so much better. Once they pulled baby out and we heard his first cry, my heart totally exploded. That sound will ring beauty for me for the rest of my life. I can't even explain the emotions I felt. I was able to hold him for a few minutes before they had to take him to the nicu for a few hours (standard precautions) and Gene and I both cried. Our baby boy is the most beautiful creature that I have ever laid my eyes upon. He was absolutely worth every second of pain that I went through. He was born at 5:08 pm on 12-16-14 weighing in at 7 pounds 2 ounces and we couldn't be more in love.

11. Adira

@whenoceansrise: Wow! What a story!! It sounds like you experienced back labor, which is what both my labors were as well. I've heard that back labor is worse than normal contractions and that epidurals often don't help, so I'm sorry you experienced that!!!! But YAY for baby Micah!!! He's adorable!!! You did a fantastic job getting him here!!!

12. snowjewelz

@whenoceansrise: pushing was the worst for me too! I felt the intense pressure even with the epi. And I pushed for almost 2 hrs so I know how exhausting it was! I kept saying I couldn't do it anymore lol! Micah is a cutie! Enjoy him!

13. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

Here is baby winniebee 2.0's birth story!

A little background. I had been monitored by high risk doctors since 28 weeks for having a potentially growth restricted baby (something I didn't really talk about on the boards). Our first son, Tyler, was born at 5lb 5oz and 17.5 inches at 38.5 weeks. So when my doctors found that this baby was measuring small, it came as no surprise to us. After all my husband and I are small people and T is still a peanut (but totally proportionate) at age 2.5. So I really wasn't all that concerned about having another small baby. What concerned our doctors was that this baby showed assymmetrical growth - his head to belly ratio was not proportionate, which sometimes can be a sign of IUGR (intrauterine growth retardation). As such, I had bi weekly growth scans and bi weekly ultrasounds from 28w on. At my 36 week growth scan they estimated the baby at just over 5 lbs. At my 38 week growth scan, the high risk doctor concluded that the baby had not grown since 36 weeks so it was time to induce. all of this is sort of ironic since I had been having preterm contractions and modified my activity from 30-37 weeks. When I heard that my baby was no longer growing, I was pretty panicked. But I also knew that at 38 weeks he would probably be just fine. I was also at the point of being over contractions and late pregnancy aches, and was feeling ready to have him. We knew that my cervix was favorable (2cm and 80% effaced at 37 weeks) so were hoping for a quick induction.

We arrived at the hospital at 11:30 on December 9. Because I was an induction on doctors orders, I didn't have to go through triage and immediately got to go to my (pretty awesome) labor and delivery room. Took awhile to get checked in by nurses, get an IV etc. On the monitor I was having mild contractions about every 10 mins on my own. Chatted with OB who said she could either start pitocin or just break my water since I was already at 2cm. We decided that The L and D floor was pretty quiet so I actually ended up with a nurse all to myself! Got checked by my OB and I was 2-3cm and mostly effaced and very soft so she went ahead and broke my water at 1:45. From there, contractions started coming closer together (every 5 mins or so) and started becoming more painful. I ate lunch (my hospital allows food in l and D so long as you haven't had an epidural) and then we walked the floor for a bit. Contractions were more painful but not quite painful enough for my epidural. My OB came and checked me again at 530 and I was dilated to a 4. I was annoyed I hadn't made more progress, but my doc assured me that second time moms progress pretty quickly after 4cm.

We decided to eat dinner (I wasn't hungry) before I got an epidural. I ate and at 630 the contractions were coming fast and furious so I requested the epidural. But the anesthesia team was in an emergency c section. Bad news because by 7 pm I was noat the point where I was screaming and crying through contractions. My nurse wasn't sure when the epidural team would be able to fit me in and I started panicking a little. They offered an alternative pain relief (some narcotic I forget but my OB didn't recommend it Bc it can make you feel drunk). We tried lots of different techniques to get through the contractions (I never planned on a med free birth so never even took a birthing class!!) I tried using the tub around 815 and that helped a little. Finally the epidural team came in at 820. Right on time because I started shaking like crazy and was so nauseous.

Got my epidural at 830 (relief set in soon after) and my OB checked me again - I was 7cm and she told me I would be ready to push in an hour. I relaxed for that hour and around 930 had an intense urge to push - by that time I was fully dilated. By the time my team was assembled (nicu had to be there because of my IUGR diagnosis) it was 945 and I was ready to push. My epidural was great I could still feel pressure from contractions and could use my legs and could feel pressure while pushing.

After 15 mins of pushing, Ryan Joseph was born on December 9 at 9:59 pm. He was 5 lb 6 oz and 19 inches and totally healthy. They monitored his sugars in the hospital for 24 hours and we did supplement with a syringe of formula a few times to keep his sugars up. We left the hospital when he was 5 lbs even. But he seemed like a natural nurser and since getting home his output has been great. By one week old he was back to his birth weight.

We are settling into a "new" routine as a family of 4. Big brother is enamored and kisses baby brother about 100 times a day and has been so sweet with him but has had some meltdowns and trouble sleeping. I'm sure it's a big adjustment for him. But at 9 days old, we are all in love with our new little man!

14. snowjewelz

@winniebee: So glad he was born super healthy despite all the growth concern earlier on!!

15. magnolia

persimmon / 1168 posts

Here is a link to my baby boy's (very long) birthday story
    happybirthdayharvey.tumblr.com

16. Adira

@winniebee: I don't know how I missed your story!! So glad the baby was fine despite the growth concerns! And that's awesome that your induction went so well. I totally feel you when it comes to laboring med-free. With Xander, I had every intention of getting an epidural and never took a birth class, so I was totally lost when I couldn't get one! Glad you eventually got yours!!

17. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

WOW! I had the time to read all of these beautiful stories!!!!
    I think child birth is just amazing no matter what it took to get them here!

We all do what we have to, to welcome them to this world!

Here is Ms. Giuliana's Birth Story: "Hopefully I can finish before she wakes"

We went out to dinner for some Hot wings....lol well at 1 a.m. I woke up and went to roll over in bed and realized my side was soaked. I knew immediately that my water had broke... I woke up DH and said Hey My water broke.... we looked at me and said "Ohh stop!" at this point I was 3 days over due so we both felt like it was never going to happen....lol

Once we both got up and ready we were on the way to the hospital in 45 mins.

Once admitted I was checked and at 5 cm so to labor and delivery I went.

Contractions started and walking the halls through them def helped with the pain.

I was hooked up to IV rather quickly because I knew I wanted an epidural at some point. I got my self to 8cm and then couldn't take it anymore.

I asked for the epi and of course the anesthesiologist was in a surgery, to take the edge off I was given Sadul...spelling? Kind of like having many cocktails in one.....lol That helped and apparently I told DH I kept seeing the snowman from frozen when I closed my eyes...hahah

A few minutes later the epidural was given, I think being "drunk'" on that medicine helped because I was not nervous at all about getting it anymore.

I was also given a little Pitocin to help speed it up at this point it was about 1:00 p.m.

Finally I was 10 cm and ready to push, I felt as if the epi wore off, and the midwife basically told me it is better that way so I can push more.

I pushed for 2 1/2 hours, each push was intense, and I will never forget that feeling, but pushing actually made it better!

After baby's head passed my pelvic bone I touched her hair/head and DH and I lost it.... we were a crying mess.

She was born at 4:17 p.m. on 12/17 8lbs 7 ounces.....21 1/2 inches long and had such a cone head, poor girl.
    She is perfect and I would do it again in a heart beat!!!!!!!!!

18. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: I had that medicine that makes you feel "drunk" it truly only lasted about an hr... I took it as I knew it would be gone by the time baby was here, but it def made me feel "drunk".....lol

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee