Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2015 Moms!

1. Foodnerd81

wonderful cherry / 21504 posts

Question for you ladies- what are you doing for swim suits this summer? Last time I was due end of July, so I most definitely needed a maternity tanking top. Now, when I go to the beach its with a toddler, so I have been wearing a rash guard- I like the sun coverage and the fact that I don't have to worry about my toddler pulling my top off or my tummy looking weird when I'm in a weird position chasing her.

I'm trying to figure out if a regular rash guard will work through the second trimester or if I need a maternity top. My regular bottoms should work. What are you all planning?

2. lovehoneybee

GOLD / wonderful pea / 17697 posts

@Foodnerd81: I bought a maternity rash guard. I didn't have one to start with, our pool is open until mid-Sept, and I already look like I did at 5 months pregnant last time, so I wanted something with more give.

I had bought a cute maternity tankini from Target, but after weeks of shipping hell it was returned and I was refunded (I can't find it in stores). I couldn't find anything similar I liked at the mall when I was looking (a little loose), and the maternity store at the mall only had big tent tops and rash guards, so that was what I got (we are leaving for vacation this weekend).

3. HappyBluebird

clementine / 957 posts

@lovehoneybee: I think it's awesome your DH wants to carry around a balloon to tell! Fingers crossed you can find out that day!

@skipper2010: We've gone public on Facebook. If it had been up to me, I'm not sure we would have announced but my DH really wanted to so I agreed. It's a little scary having everyone know!

@yerpie110: Yay for a girl! So sorry about your loss but I'm glad everything is going well now!

@Foodnerd81: I'm not going to lie, buying a bathing suit now that I'm showing and bigger is something I am not looking forward to. So much that I've been putting it off. We are going on vacation at the end of July so I don't have much more time to delay! But I might look into the rash guard idea, if only because I get sunburn so easily!

4. cheesetomywhine

pear / 1586 posts

@Foodnerd81: Thus far I am just going with my regular rash guard. It is somewhat loose. I like that I don't have to sunscreen my whole top. I also have a loose swim skirt that I'll wear. I will just keep my bikini top for under the guard. If I get too big for the guard I will probably just get a larger size.

5. Foodnerd81

@cheesetomywhine: I am hoping a regular one will work. I have one I really like that isn't super tight, but I don't want to stretch it out and have it not work next summer. Hopefully I can find a cheap one that's pretty long (I have a longish torso to begin with.) I just hate to spend much on a maternity top that I'll wear a handful of times and never again.

6. cheesetomywhine

pear / 1586 posts

@Foodnerd81: I hear you! I got mine last year at Kohls for ~$15 if that helps.

Unrelated question- anyone who lives in a cold climate slightly worried? Our house is usually pretty cold in the winter but my babes were 6 and 8 months old by then so I wasn't overly concerned. We are going to get new windows and hopefully a new boiler and convert to gas heat. But yes, my strange new worry.

7. Foodnerd81

@cheesetomywhine: I'm less worried about the new baby in the winter than I was about c this past winter. Her (soon to be their) room is the coolest in the condo for some reason, and once she stopped wearing a sleep sack it was hard to keep her warm enough at night, without blasting the heat everywhere else. I never felt comfortable with a space heater, and definitely don't now that she's trying to get out of the crib.

I figure infants are easy to just put in warm pjs, onesie underneath, swaddled, so the baby should be fine. Plus he or she will be in our room for a while which is warmer anyway.

We live in a newish condo with brand new windows and the difference in temp between rooms is still like ten degrees in the winter.

8. cheesetomywhine

pear / 1586 posts

@Foodnerd81: thanks! We use a space heater in the room if the baby is in a crib. So that was S this year. Thankfully R LOVES blankets so she literally slept under 7 and we'd do t-shirt then footie jams. But yes when I say cold...I quite literally mean it gets frigid upstairs. I hope the new windows make a difference! You could always try the sleepsack with feet holes?

ETA- our home was built in 1900.

9. lady baltimore

persimmon / 1196 posts

To anyone shopping for a rash guard: I am looking at an SPF shirt from Land's End that has a full zipper in the front. I like the option to unzip if I get too hot, but it might also be a good option if you are worried about fit by the end of the summer.

10. HappyBluebird

clementine / 957 posts

@cheesetomywhine: We live in a cold climate and we do have drafty rooms but the nursery isn't one of them. So we're lucky there. I'm the most worried about there being a snow storm but hopefully in early December it won't be too bad!

@lady baltimore: Thanks for the heads up! I might look into that!

11. Yogini bee

coffee bean / 32 posts

Lovely to see everyone doing so well, and a nice mixture of people finding out the sex and waiting for a surprise

@skipper2010: I haven't put an announcement on Facebook yet but everyone I'm friends with knows already. I can't stop telling people now

@yerpie110: congratulations on a girl! Two girls will be lovely.

@lady baltimore: Glad you're feeling better... It's such a relief when the sickness ends! Hope your appointment went well today.

@foodnerd81: I actually bought a tankini from mothercare (not sure if you have this shop?) just last week. It's got tiny sail boats on it... Very cute. I actually had to google 'rash guard' (maybe we don't wear them enough here or it's an american word). They look pretty comfy anyway

@cheesetomywhine: I can't wait to feel movement either I haven't really thought about the practicalities of a winter baby yet. It doesn't get too cold here in the UK... Just lots of rain!

12. Foodnerd81

@lady baltimore: I didn't realize they have full zip ones- that does sound nice. Though I want to get C a full zip one too- too matchy matchy?

@HappyBluebird: I'm also more concerned about a snowstorm while I'm in labor. We had the most awful winter last year- literally the snowiest winter in boston in history- so yeah... But a bad snow storm before Christmas is pretty rare, it usually kicks up more around mid January, so I'm just hoping.

13. Foodnerd81

@Yogini bee: oh- and rash guards are mainly for surfers to prevent a rash from their surf board, but then the rest of us realized that it's way easier to put on a shirt than sunscreen every inch of skin. Plus they prevent grabby toddlers from pulling bathing suit tops off. I'm a fan, even if I sometimes feel a little mom suit in them.

14. HappyBluebird

clementine / 957 posts

@Foodnerd81: We had a lot of snow in Maryland too, but not nearly as much as you got! It is good that generally it doesn't snow until January, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us in cold climates that it stays that way this winter too!

15. HappyBluebird

clementine / 957 posts

Is anyone taking bump photos? Or did you take them with your first?

I love the idea but I feel like I am huge compared to other people I've known at 16 weeks! I might start taking them soon so I don't regret it. I can always delete them if I hate them!

16. Foodnerd81

@HappyBluebird: I took them sporadically with C- like on days when I felt like I looked nice and DH was there to take them. So far I took one at 12 weeks at a wedding and I'll probably try for every four weeks or so? I don't really do anything with them but it's fun to look back on anyway.

17. MamaBehr

pomegranate / 3275 posts

@HappyBluebird: TAKE THEM! With my first, we took them. They are so fun to look at. With my second, we didn't. I felt fat and I figured I wouldn't care, I totally regret it. So, with my third we took them again, this time we put the other two kids in the pictures too, and they are so neat to look at.

18. lovehoneybee

@HappyBluebird: I think I've been better about taking them this time then I was with my first...I have an app on my phone that will do a slideshow progression!

19. lady baltimore

persimmon / 1196 posts

@HappyBluebird: I've been taking weekly bump photos since the day of my BFP. I'm definitely starting to show a bit in real life, but I don't know that it's really showing up in the pictures. I hope that by taking them every single week, I'll end up with at least a few that I like.

@Yogini bee: Appointment did go well, thanks. They are so quick at this point! Baby was squirming all over the place, but the heartbeat sounded good (140, I think he said?). I got some reassurance about laying on my back, too, so I feel better about that.

20. HappyBluebird

clementine / 957 posts

@Foodnerd81: @MamaBehr: Thanks ladies! I think I'll start taking them, if for no other reason then to look back on them!

@lovehoneybee: That sounds fun! What app is it?

@lady baltimore: I think I'll try and take one every Friday when a "new" week begins. I'm sure I'll forget here and there but I'm sure it will be nice to look back on.

21. mrszack

pea / 16 posts

Hi guys! I hope it's okay if I join in, even if I'm a little late to the party. I figure we all have a way to go though!

EDD: 12/3/16

How far along: 16w6d

First child? Nope, third! I have an 11 year old, and an almost 2 year old

First doctor appointment: My first appointment was 4/23 at 8 weeks

Any symptoms so far? I had a fairly symptom-free first trimester except for major fatigue, but the fatigue seems to be hanging around into the second trimester. Hopefully, it will subside soon!

Who have you told? Pretty much everyone knows at this point.

22. HappyBluebird

clementine / 957 posts

@mrszack: Congrats! Welcome to the group! We are almost due date twins! You are one day before me!

23. mrszack

pea / 16 posts

@HappyBluebird: Thank you! I'm excited to have some other ladies to share this with, especially ones that are going through the same things.

24. cheesetomywhine

pear / 1586 posts

@mrszack: Welcome! I'm also on my third except my DD just turned 3 and my DS is 14 months

25. lovehoneybee

@mrszack: Welcome!!!

December Mamas

December 1st: skipper2010 (#2)
    December 3rd: berly (#1), mrszack (#3)
    December 4th: happybluebird (#1), shortiecake (#1), hummusgirl (#2)
    December 5th: truth bombs (#2), Lady Baltimore (#1)
    December 6th: lulabee (#3), Mrs Hedgehog (#2)
    December 7th: myboxerstella (#1)
    December 8th: Running Elley (#3), sotofamilia (#2)
    December 10th: maybebaby (#2), mrstiz (#2)
    December 11th: Yogina Bee (#1)
    December 15th: nyxee (#1). yerpie110 (#2)
    December 16th: cheesetomywhine (#3)
    December 17th: foodnerd81 (#2)
    December 19th: Mrs. Taco (#2)
    December 20th: littlemisskeiko (#1)
    December 22nd: mamabear2 (#2), Kali (#1), Elizachase (#1), tjbishop (#1)
    December 24th: lovehoneybee (#2)
    December 29th: MamaBehr (#4)

@HappyBluebird: the slideshow I use is on Nurture, but I bet there are other non-pregnancy apps that will do it, I'm just too lazy to figure out which ones. I usually snap a pic at work, upload it to a baby center app (I like the week stamp) which saves it to my phone, then I upload it to Nurture. Takes maybe 5 minutes total (depending on how long it takes to get a picture I like).

26. Yogini bee

coffee bean / 32 posts

@foodnerd81: Thanks for filling me in re: Rash guards The sun's never too strong here and, to be honest, any we do have we tend to want our sun deprived skin in it! I really like them though

@happybluebird: I haven't taken any bump photos yet but like the idea. I've got a nice little bump now so might start this week.

@lady baltimore: congratulations on a great scan I have my regular 16 week midwife check up on Tuesday and I'm hoping she'll listen in to the heartbeat then.

@mrszack: congratulations and welcome.

Time's really flying now. It's crazy to scroll through the due date board list and now see Jan, Feb and March 2016. December will here before we know it!

27. MamaBehr

pomegranate / 3275 posts

@cheesetomywhine: I live in a warm climate now, but my daughter was born in March in NY. It snowed while we were in the hospital. We just layered. If you are having a girl, I highly recommend tights under everything. They are SO much better than socks!

@mrszack: Welcome!!! With this baby we are graduating from three to four! Three is a nice number of kiddos

I can't remember, is this anyone's last baby? This is our last baby and we just found out it is a boy (we have a 5 year old girl, 3 year old boy, 18 month old boy)! I can't believe I'm going to have three boys! We all (including DH) wanted another girl to finish off our family, but it seems like the big guy upstairs had other plans

Oh, and does this work for names Bennett, Everett, Beckett? Beckett would be the new baby's name. We feel committed to double tt's at the end of the name, but that leads to very little options for a THIRD boy (oh man, still in shock!)

28. Foodnerd81

@MamaBehr: this is our last (at least we are 99% sure, but won't be taking any permanent measures for a while just in case). So, either DH gets his son, or C gets her sister. We will find it end of July.

As for Beckett- I do feel like it's very similar to Bennett and it could get confusing for people (and you). I am one of five K names and I know my mom was always going through a few names before yelling at the right kid. Wyatt is another TT but I like Beckett better.

29. MamaBehr

pomegranate / 3275 posts

@Foodnerd81: I love the name Wyatt, but it is more popular than we like. We tend to choose names out of the top 100. Do you think it would be weird if we just did another double letter, not necessarily a double tt. DD's name has double nn's. Maybe if we found a double nn name? Or have we committed to double tt's?

30. Foodnerd81

@MamaBehr: I don't think you have to commit to any double letters. It's not like you have 3 Ks and want the last one to be a different letter or something. And your first doesn't have the double T. Are there many NN names you like? Can't think of any off the top of my head...

31. cheesetomywhine

pear / 1586 posts

@MamaBehr: oooh that is a good idea about the tights if we have a girl, thank you! This hopefully won't be our last (barring any unforseen issues).

As to the name, it looks similar in writing because of the Be--ett but it doesn't sound too similar. Especially if you do nicknames as Benny and Beck aren't similar. My mum gets my name messed up with my brother (Bentley) all the time and ours aren't similar lol. I love the idea of a double n name though!

Some ideas though I'm not sure if you want them:

Flynn
    Finn
    Wynn

Or for double t
    Elliott
    Merritt
    Garrett

ETA-
    Pruett
    Prescott
    Abbott
    Emmett (love this name!)
    Rhett
    Barrett

32. lady baltimore

persimmon / 1196 posts

Oooh, I love name brainstorming (especially because we have gotten nowhere on names over here)!

Quinn, Bennett, Everett and . . .

Brett
    Corbett
    Scott
    Glenn
    Johann
    Penn

I also like Emmett, Beckett, and Elliott from the previous suggestions. Like @cheesetomywhine: said, while Beckett and Bennett have similar spellings, they don't sound overly alike.

33. Kali

pea / 9 posts

@FOODNERD81 I'm going to have to buy a new swimsuit anyway, because I ended up gaining some weight last fall, before even getting pregnant lol. So for sure my old swimsuit won't fit. Normally, I like wearing tankinis, but I'm thinking maybe if I go with a bikini, I can get away with buying a regular one. I just have to find something that'll fit my newly giant boobs.

As for having a snowstorm while in labour, I'm actually a little worried about that too. In the last few years, December has been pretty mild here though, and the real snow storms only started in January so hopefully this year will be similar.

34. mrszack

pea / 16 posts

Hi ladies! I have noticed the past couple of weeks that I am having a good bit of hair loss - very similar to what I've had post-partum in the past. I'm 18 weeks. Is anyone else experiencing this?

35. Foodnerd81

@mrszack: mine is nowhere near as bad as postpartum, but yes, I've noticed more hair loss than seems normal. I thought I was supposed to be getting those luscious pregnancy locks by now. Meanwhile I still have crazy 4 inch long pieces all over from when it all fell out a year and a half ago.

So, C has been sick and just generally in a bad sleep place for a week or two. Anyone else feel like they will never be not tired again? Last night I seriously considered just leaving and checking into a hotel somewhere. (DH was home but sleeping while I dealt with a toddler who refused to fall back asleep). After 3 hours trying to get her to sleep (12 am to 3 am) and went and got DH up to take over because I was losing it. I just really miss not being tired.

36. Yogini bee

coffee bean / 32 posts

Sorry to read that you're having a hard time @foodnerd81. This is my first so I can't relate directly but I'm certain all mums feel like this and I'm sure I have it all to come. This pregnancy is making me really tired and I'm spending most evenings just lying on the settee, so I really admire you guys who have little ones to look after too. Glad you got your partner to help you in the end - keep asking for help. Hope you're feeling a bit better today

37. mrszack

pea / 16 posts

How's everyone doing? I'm 19w1d today, and looking forward to my anatomy scan next week. We're still team green, but we're just anxious to see the little peanut again and make sure everything is okay. I just barely feeling a little movement very sporadically (and only slightly), so this ultrasound is much needed! Hope everyone is enjoying the second trimester.

38. Mrswonderwoman

cherry / 104 posts

Can I join? I'm super late to the party and there's no way I'll ever catch up on reading all the previous posts, but hopefully I can jump in and be part of things

EDD: 12/15/16
    How far along: 17w6d
    First child? It's #2! My DS will be 3 on new years eve, so they will be almost 3 years apart.

First doctor appointment: My first appointment was in June. I'm doing a home birth and my midwife is about 90 mins from me, and since it's my second, she was fine waiting a little while. Everything was great!

Any symptoms so far? Mostly just tired and hungry I was lucky to not have any true morning sickness, though I did have some strong cravings and food aversions during the first tri. Pretty similar with #1, just more intense this time around.

Who have you told? We've done a FB announcement, so everyone knows.

Thanks!

39. Foodnerd81

@Mrswonderwoman: hello and welcome! We have almost the same due date (12/17). Was your first a home birth? I have no desire to have one but I'm fascinated by them. I'll be having this baby with the same hospital based group of midwives as I had C- it's a good combo for me of hospital and low intervention.

40. Mrswonderwoman

cherry / 104 posts

@Foodnerd81: Yes, I did a home birth with my first as well. Initially, I was a little unsure if it was the right thing for me, but after the experience I had, I would do it again in a heartbeat and highly recommend it to anyone who is open to the idea. It was so SO nice to just be at home, be comfortable, and just do what I needed to do with not much pressure at all. It also made recovery very smooth and seamless.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee