Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@MrsB2012: we are using cloth too! Although we are really going back and forth since my little nugget only fits in a few of his diapers right now. I've been using disposables at night, but I think I may switch to cloth at night starting tonight since last night he peed through his disposable! No hydration issues over here that's for sure!

2. autumn865

persimmon / 1147 posts

@MrsB2012: we're in the same boat with toddler sleep! My toddler wakes up equal to or more times a night than the baby for things like "more water" or "i'm hungry (at3am)" and is up for the day in the 5am hour. DH has been a trooper and will get up with her to let me sleep a bit more after dealing with two at night. She's also developed an intense daddy preference and will tantrum when DH holds the baby it will get easier.... Eventually right?!

We've been venturing out more to places like target and shop rite when the weather isnt 10 degrees or bad. Sitting around the house trying to entertain a toddler day in and day out with the baby is enough to drive a person crazy. I forgot how much like groundhogs day having a newborn is.... Sometimes you wake up and every day is pretty much exactly like the last.

3. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@LAZB: Honestly I feel like if I can figure out the Boba, anyone can! I used these instructions and after a few practice runs I think I've got it: http://www.boba.com/support/boba-wrap/boba-wrap-tying-101

@Kbee: SO glad to hear that things have improved!

@autumn865: Groundhog's Day is right… and the time passes so strangely. Eat sleep poop repeat… with lots of crying thrown in!

4. Mrs. Rabbit

blogger / clementine / 750 posts

Hi ladies! i've been a little MIA lately. I've been reading everything, just not commenting.

We're actually in the hospital right now—my little one was diagnosed with RSV on Sunday, so she's here fighting it, and I'm here with her 24/7 (with a few breaks in between and company from my husband and mom). She probably caught my cold, but since she's so new, it turned into RSV. She's a little fighter, though, and things are looking good for a recovery, but we'll probably be here for at least a couple more days.

Bright side: no more fever, everything else they tested her for is negative, and breastfeeding's going really well. And with that, I need to try to sleep since she's actually sleeping—the days seem like weeks over here, and I sometimes forget she's still only a week and a half old!

5. Mrs. Coral

clementine / 812 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: I'm so sorry about the RSV! You and your sweet babe will be in my thoughts and prayers!

6. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear she's been sick. I hope that she gets well soon and that you're getting enough rest in the meantime!

7. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: I'm so sorry she's been sick. I hope she gets better soon and you can all go home.

8. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: I'm sorry she is sick, I hop she recovers quickly! And I hope you're getting rest, being in the nicu is tough.

9. Mrs. Lion

blogger / grapefruit / 4836 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: praying for you all

10. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: so sorry to hear she's been sick, but thankful she is improving! Get well soon, little one!

11. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: Oh no! You seem to be handling everything remarkably well - you are one strong mama. Fingers crossed she gets better quickly!

12. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: How are you and your girl doing??

And how is everyone else? It's been quiet so I assume we are all just trying to stay alive Luke had his 2 week appt on Friday and is up to 7lbs2oz after a full week exclusively on the breast so I'm happy we're moving in the right direction. My nipples are destroyed though which has caused lots of tears (for me) this week. I spent this morning topless to get some air flowing and have been slathering on the lanolin, which helps. I just can't imagine how they are ever going to have time to heal when I'm nursing for 30 min every 2.5 hours! Going to go to Babies R Us today and get some of those cooling gel pads people rave about.

@cmomma17: How are you guys doing??

13. Mrs. Lion

@loopedd: I bought some medela soft shells and they saved my life! They allow the air to get to your nipples all day long and it helps them heal. Bonus, if you wear them on the side you aren't feeding baby on while you nurse it collects milk that you can save for later.

14. Mrs. Rabbit

@loopedd: Thanks for asking! She's still in the hospital, but we think (hope) we're at the tail end of this thing? She's been a trooper and keeps showing signs that she's getting well, so now we just needs her numbers to back her up.

15. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: So glad to hear it! What a little fighter

@Mrs. Lion: that sounds amazing! Will look for those!

16. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@loopedd: I second the soft shells @Mrs. Lion: recommended if you have to wear a shirt. I'm sorry you're in pain. Been there, and my nipples are only just now starting to feel better a week and a half after starting to use the nipple shield.

As for me we are now starting our second week of all day guests at our apartment and I am just concentrating really hard on trying not to show how annoyed I am.

@Mrs. Rabbit: Glad to hear she's getting better!

17. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

My little guy is looking a bit jaundice. I am trying to nurse lots and lots and keep him near the window. He's more orange today than yesterday... I am hoping it starts to turn around by tomorrow doctors appointment.

I think nursing is going well. I have blisters and it's so hard to wake him up in the middle of the night. Neither one of us wants to be up.

I hope everyone is getting a little rest.

18. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Aria: @Mrs. Lion: Thank you for the reccs! I went to BRU and got two kinds of soothing gel pads, extra lanolin and the soft shells. Hoping this gives me some time to heal! Some feeds are worse than others - the bad ones make me want to scream, but I am loving being able to BF him after our tough first week so I really want to make it work.

@maddyz: I think "neither one of us wants to be up" is SO true over here too! My guy gets frustrated during the nighttime feeds… like he can't decide if he's more starving or exhausted, so he's just mad!

19. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

We got our newborn photos back today and I love them so much! I love that you can see her dimple in this one. She has just one on her right side just like daddy.

20. Mrs. Lion

@Aria: so precious!!

21. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Aria: OMG she is gorgeous! Love her little smile!!

22. Mrs. Rabbit

@Aria: SO adorable!!

23. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Aria: soooo cute!

24. autumn865

persimmon / 1147 posts

@loopedd: for sore nipples I used earth mama angel baby nipple butter and it really seemed to help. Bonus no weird blisters/ film for your LO that the lanolin gives after awhile and it smells yummy

25. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Aria: oh my goodness, how sweet!!

@loopedd: So glad BFing is going well and he is gaining weight! I bet you are so happy The downside is everything that our nipples have to go through. But I hear it gets better as time goes on. I picked up another pack of Soothie gel pads for myself yesterday. Based on everything you all have been saying, I think I'll order some of the soft shells too!

@maddyz: Hope his appointment goes well today. Keep us updated!

26. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

Little guy had to get blood drawn to check on his jaundice. I asked if it was going to be harder for new or him and the nurse said defiantly me and she was right.

We are nursing lots and lots and my milk is in as far as I can tell, poops are changing and we have lots of wet diapers. So here's to hoping it's on its way out and to another night of nursing every two hours even when we are both so sleepy.

I hope you are aol doing well!

It's really lovely to have this internet community to share this trip with. So helpful and warm!

27. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@maddyz: my little guy had some jaundice as well but with lots of nursing and sun through windows, we didn't have to do anything else, so here's hoping you'll have a similar experience! The blood draw was tragic... The nurse had to squeeze his foot for a painfully long time to get enough to fill the vial! It's great your lo is having lots of wet and poopy diapers.

We are going to see an LC tomorrow to get some help with our latch/work on weaning from the nipple shield. I hope it helps, I would love to stop using the nipple shield.

28. Mrs. Lion

@Circusbee: I can't wait to hear what your lc says! Things are going so wonderfully for us with the nipple shield I am terrified to wean off of it. I need to make an appointment myself because I am way too scared to try weaning on my own! Nipple pain is no joke!

We have an ultrasound appointment to get something checked out that the doctors discovered when she was born. I don't want to share too many details out of protection of baby girl's future privacy, but it could either be totally normal or really scary depending on the results. I've been trying not to think about it but today is ultrasound day, and we could use some prayers

@maddyz: yay for nursing going well hope you are able to get a little rest! I went to bed at 8 the last 2 nights haha she definitely sleeps better the first part of the night. After 2 am it's a lot rougher.

@autumn865: where do you get that nipple butter from? Is it greasy like lanolin? I may need to try it!

29. Mrs. Rabbit

@Mrs. Lion: Definitely sending you prayers today for you and little Lion!!

30. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

@Mrs. Lion: praying for you today!

I also second the earth mama nipple butter. It is greasy/oily, but I'm not sure how it compares to lanolin , since I've never used it. I just found mine at the grocery store, but I think BRU carries it too, and I know you can get it on amazon.

31. Mrs. Lion

@Mrs. Rabbit: @Circusbee: everything was normal! Hurray!

32. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@Mrs. Lion: So glad everything is ok! What a relief!

33. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Mrs. Lion: so glad everything was normal, what a relief!

We gave L a pacifier for the first time last night, she is just over three weeks old. It worked at keeping her calm and putting her to sleep in the bassinest instead of on my chest, so that was awesome. I didn't want to introduce a pacifier, but hopefully if it's just at night it won't create too big of an issue. Have any of y'all been using a pacifier?

34. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Mrs. Lion: Just saw your note about the ultrasound and your update that everything is okay. SO good to hear that. Also, I've been going to bed so early too because D also has his longest stretches at the beginning of the night. Have to take advantage of that!

@LAZB: We introduced a pacifier around the same time - I think he was right at 3 weeks. I wanted to hold out too, but I was noticing that he was constantly showing "hunger cues," even when he wasn't hungry, and just wanted to comfort nurse, or nurse himself to sleep. So we introduced the pacifier, and it has helped him go to sleep. We only have to use it about once a day or so, and only when we're putting him down for sleep. It's been a week so far, and it hasn't caused any issues with breastfeeding. It's been a lifesaver!

35. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Kbee: that's great to hear, hopefully it's the same for us. L acts like she's still hungry even though I know she's not, and she overeats and spits up a bunch right before bed. Hopefully the pacifier is the magic piece to fix that.

36. Mrs. Lion

@LAZB: I actually sent my husband to walmart to buy some while we were in the hospital because she wanted to comfort nurse and I was in agony. We have been using them occasionally since then but she doesn't really love them. I used them with my first as well. I am team paci all the way. only for soothing or for sleeping though.

37. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Mrs. Lion: good, glad I'm in good company!

38. Circusbee

apricot / 390 posts

I am pro-binky, but I'm nervous to introduce it before we have a really good nursing relationship. I'm hoping by the time he's 4 weeks that I'll feel good enough about it to give him a binky. I think he comfort nurses quite a bit, so I hope binky will mean more sleep for me!

We saw the LC today and it went really well! A is now 6 lbs 15 oz, and we were able to latch well without the nipple shield during the appt. She says I have a bit of an over supply, so probably the reason why he detaches frequently without the nipple shield is because my milk is too fast for him. She taught me to sit/lay back at an angle so he can control the flow better. Since coming home, we've latched and nursed successfully on both sides, but also had to resort to the nipple shield once when he was just too upset. It will take a lot of work, but hopefully we are on our way to being really good at this!

39. Mrs. Lion

@Circusbee: that's great news! I hope it gets easier every day!!

40. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Circusbee: glad you had such a great appointment!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee