Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@maddyz: very interesting! I don't think I'm brave enough to try something like that!

We're hanging in there. Nights are still tough more often than not, but she's been making up for it by giving us her first real smiles. Pretty much the best thing ever.

2. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

@Aria we have been handed down pretty much every baby carrying thing out there. I have not for the hang of the boba. So far, love the ring sling, woven wrap and beco soft carrier. I don't like the old baby Bjorn either...

3. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Aria: those smiles are amazing! I make DH jealous because right now she only smiles at me haha

4. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

I wouldn't write replies on my phone while nursing... I meant to @lazb about the wraps!

@aria I can't wait for real smiles!

This morning we are nursing ever hour... This guy had some real growing to do I guess.

The interrupted sleep is one thing, and hard, but I hadn't thought about the interrupted eating. Oh to eat a whole meal at once when it's warm.

5. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@maddyz: Long nursing sessions are rough! And YES, trying to eat an actual meal while it's warm, without stuffing it down my face knowing he's going to wake up/start crying at any moment would be nice...one day!

How's everyone doing? My little guy is pretty high maintenance during the day. If he's awake he tends to be crying, either because he's hungry (so we're nursing a LOT) or due to gas/reflux. It's really tough to get him down for naps too, which wouldn't be as much of an issue if he was awake and content, but he's usually awake and crying. Thankfully his amount of awake time without crying is starting to gradually increase, and we're getting some fun interaction and smiles from time to time. I hope it continues to get better because this is hard! He's gaining weight like a champ, already up 1 more pound in the last week, so at least I know his constant crying isn't because he's hungry.

6. Mrs. Lion

blogger / grapefruit / 4836 posts

@maddyz: we are nursing constantly too. It's literally making me crazy. It's been like this for 3 days. I just don't get it

7. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

I have some questions for those of you that are pumping. How much do you give your baby at each feeding? If you're also breastfeeding, when do you pump and do you pump both sides or just one? Bottle recommendations? Pumping is so overwhelming!

8. Mrs. Lion

@Aria: I try to pump once for any feeding I feed a bottle. Dh does her late evening feeding and one mon feeding so I pump right before bed (after she eats) and first thing in the morning (after she eats) we are up to 3 oz bottles so that's what I try to pump each time. I stop when I get there because I don't want to create an oversupply.

I use the Avent natural bottles and like them. They just came out with a super slow flow nipple (level 0) which is what is recommended for breastfeeding babies.

9. Mrs. Coral

clementine / 812 posts

@Aria: I started out EP (due to latch issues) so take this with a grain of salt. We are now nursing during the day for most feeds. Still bottle feeding at night.

I pump everytime she has a bottle. She is taking 4 oz a time. Like Mrs. Lion, I make sure I get 4 oz everytime I pump. I pump both sides.

Still trying to figure out whether to pump or not when she nurses. I have been, but might start dropping some once I know she is still gaining well now that we are mostly nursing.

We are using Playtex Drop-Ins and I am extremely happy with them.

10. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

I just started pumping to try get get a small stash going... So far I arm pumping after a morning feeding and only getting about 1.5oz. It's depressing. Maybe I need to try another time or pump more often during the day. Any suggestions?

11. Mrs. Lion

@maddyz: That is totally normal! Save two days in the fridge and then freeze when you have 3 ounces (or wait for 4 ounces if you will need 4 oz for a bottle). If you are feeding your baby exclusively you shouldn't be able to pump much. If you can, that means you have an oversupply and it makes life difficult...harder for baby to eat, engorgement, plugged ducts, mastitis....no bueno! You are doing great!

12. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@Mrs. Lion: @Mrs. Coral: thanks for the help!

13. Mrs. Rabbit

blogger / clementine / 750 posts

Hey February mamas! Just wanted to share that I blogged my daughter's birth story today http://www.hellobee.com/2015/03/25/baby-bunbuns-birth-story/

14. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

We're struggling with SO much spit-up over here. He's always spit up a lot (and even earned us a trip to the pedi about 11 days ago), but in the last 24 hours it's been so bad. He's definitely been spitting up all that he's eaten and then is hungry again just minutes later. I feel so bad for hm, but he doesn't seem to be in distress, so I guess it's nothing to be concerned about yet. I've got to head out today and buy more blankets, burp cloths, and onesies because we can't do laundry fast enough!

15. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@Kbee: Ugh, I'm sorry. It's so distressing to watch them spit up so much! And ditto on the massive amount of laundry, I'm doing a load now!

How's everyone else doing? It's been quiet around here.

16. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Aria: I was just thinking it's been so quiet… then I realized that I wasn't getting the emails that people had been posting! I just read what you wrote last week about the real smiles… OMG they make everything so much better!! In the mornings he's been giving DH huge grins before he goes to work and it just melts my heart. Agreed on the laundry -- I am so grateful for my washer and drying!

Our nights have kind of settled into a routine of a feeding around 10-11pm, then around 2-3am, then 6-7am. That 2-3am one is the only real "MOTN" one so it feels tolerable, and he's been a champ about going back to sleep after that one.

We are still the combo feeding champs over here -- I LOVE that this kid will eat anything. We're prob around 75% BFing - I wish it could be more but my supply never recovered after the mastitis It's really nice that other people can feed him though. My MIL has been coming over about once a week and at first I was only napping but lately I've been sneaking out for grocery shopping or a manicure and it feels so nice and normal!

17. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: Just read your birth story -- so wonderful! And so neat that she was born en caul. Congrats on the med-free birth -- I never thought I would've been able to do it either. I love when we surprise ourselves!!

18. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

We have major spit up issues too. L's gas seems to be a little better, but still crazy bad, so maybe cutting dairy helped? Her rash also got better, but then it got a little worse, and now seems to be more like eczema poor baby.
    She is definitely growing, and that makes me happy! She is just about out of newborn sizes, still long and skinny, but putting on a little chunk

19. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@loopedd: that's great he'll eat anything! Hopefully that continues when he's older too.

20. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@LAZB: OMG that pic is amazing!! Such a beautiful growing girl

21. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@loopedd: That's really great that he'll combo feed so easily. We introduced a bottle last week and she didn't mind the first one, but had a screaming fit the next time we tried. I feel so bad, DH really wants to feed her.

@LAZB: Adorable! It's crazy how fast they grow isn't it? I packed away her newborn clothes last week and cried.

22. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@loopedd: @Aria: thanks! I can't believe that she willbe 7 weeks tomorrow!

23. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Aria: Ahhh everytime I realize a newborn outfit doesn't fit my heart sinks a little… I love that he's growing but man is it bittersweet!

24. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@LAZB: She's adorable!

Does anyone wake up their LO to feed them? D is 7.5 weeks, and maybe around 9.5 lbs or so. He will sometimes take 3-3.5 hour naps, and has been doing 5-6 hours for his first sleep stretch at night. I am tempted to love this pattern, of course, but these long stretches mean that he is only eating 6-7 times per day, and almost 4 hours apart. I feel like that's not enough for him since he's still so young??

25. Mrs. Lion

@Kbee: I think it's fine! I wake her to make sure she eats every 3 hours during the day so that she won't need as much at night. As long as they are gaining like they should you can trust their hunger to guide their intake.

26. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Kbee: my ped said same as Mrs. Lion - wake during the day, enjoy the long stretches at night!!

27. Mrs. Coral

clementine / 812 posts

@Kbee: My LO hardly naps (like, not at all), but she sleeps 5 to 6-1/2 stretches at night. The peds office knows and never suggested waking her up. She is also gaining well. Enjoy!!!

28. maddyz

persimmon / 1270 posts

Sometimes I think about waking the longer nap/first sleep because it means he Wales up after 4+ hours so hungry he has to eat every 40 minutes 2 or 3 times and I am up for hours. It's not so bad because he is generally calm and happy. But it's still not sleep.

He is also not a big daytime napper. I have been popping him in the wrap and going for walks, he sleeps and I get outside and a break.

Something has changed a little and we are in a fussy time. But we are also starting to get out first responsive smiles so it's all worth it.

Still struggling with how to fit pumping into our days... It's getting better and I get 2oz at least in a 10 or 15 minute pump and nothing more if I pump longer. Pumping for 10 minutes is so much more doable, but I still pump longer if I have the time.

29. Mrs. Lion

We are coming up on the 6 week growth spurt and I thought I would share this. I've read it a hundred times and I still cry every time. Hang in there mommas

http://nurshable.com/2012/05/27/six-week-growth-spurt/

30. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Mrs. Lion: @Mrs. Coral: @maddyz: @loopedd: Thanks ladies! I'm trying to decide whether or not I'll wake him from his naps or not. I was doing that about a week and a half ago, and that was when he was still being very fussy. Then the first day I went back to work for half a day, DH let just let him nap until he woke up (he forgot I told him to wake D up at certain times), and D was happy as a clam that day! He seems happier when we just let him sleep, but it means he's not eating very often. I'm also worried a little about my supply, because if for some reason he's not eating as much right now, then what happens if it changes? So many worries as a first-time mom

31. Mrs. Lion

@Kbee: go with what makes him happy

32. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@maddyz: Love those first smiles! I also have a hard time fitting in a pumping session when I'm home with D by myself. It's hard!

@Mrs. Lion: I read this a few weeks ago! D had his 6-week spurt around 5 weeks, and oh man that was just a terrible, terrible time for us, and I was praying it would get better. My MIL definitely kept asking if I had enough milk since he was so hungry all the time. So frustrating! But at almost 8 weeks now things are definitely better!

33. Mrs. Rabbit

blogger / clementine / 750 posts

For those of you breastfeeding and giving your baby a bottle here and there: how much are they eating? I'm pumping some milk here and there, but I have no idea how much to give her, and I'd hate to waste milk! (she'll be 7 weeks on friday if that matters!)

34. loopedd

kiwi / 536 posts

@Mrs. Lion: Thanks for posting the 6-week growth spurt article… it really gave me strength earlier this week! My guy is feeling a lot heavier so at least at that eating is making a difference.

@Mrs. Rabbit: When L gets a bottle he takes between 3-4oz depending on how hungry he his. But I usually give him 2 first, then another ounce at a time if he wants it, to avoid wasting a drop!

35. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: We didn't know what to give D either, but yesterday he got 2 bottles while I was at work. He ate about 3.25 oz the first time, and then 4 oz later in the afternoon. He's 8 weeks today, and eats about 6-7 times a day.

36. Mrs. Coral

clementine / 812 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: DD is also taking 3-4oz right now.

37. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: C is 7 weeks and she takes 3 oz right now. We tried 4 but ended up wasting it, I was so bummed!

I went out by myself for the first time Monday to go to band rehearsal! I was glad I went because we have a concert at Carnegie Hall I didnt want to miss, but it feels weird being without her.

38. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Mrs. Rabbit: we've only given L a bottle a few times (she's also 7 weeks), but do 2.5-3 oz. she could probably do more, but it's generally just to tide her over until I can feed her an hour or two later.
    @Aria: isn't it strange being away from your baby? I hate it, I can't believe I have to go back to work in a few weeks

39. Kbee

kiwi / 560 posts

@Aria: @LAZB: I've returned to work, some weeks part-time and other weeks a little closer to full-time depending on my appointments, but it is so hard! I'm at work right now and I miss my baby so much...

40. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Kbee: I wish I could ease back into work, but I'll be going back 40 hours from the beginning. I have a feeling I'll be working from home and cutting out early a lot though

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee