Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2016 Postpartum Chat

1. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

I don't instagram but I've considered making a private one for the grandparents, maybe I could include HB too....

Also, all you 2nd or 3rd time mamas with toddlers, you amaze me! I hope to be there in a couple years, but maybe I don't know what I'm hoping for I wish you all lots and lots of sleepy dust! I have been so thankful for DH, when he gets home from work he takes care of all baby tasks except nursing (obvi). LO lovessss being bounced on the exercise ball but I'm not doing that, not with what happened down there with labor!

As for sleeping, is this normal at all? Is there a normal for a 3-week old? I feel like it's a lot of awake time in the mornings.....

8 or 9am: Wake up
    9-1: Awake regardless of what I do, sometimes fussy
    2-6: Naps off and on
    6-10: Solid sleeping, barely even awake to nurse
    10-12: Fussy, nursing, witching hour?
    12-8: Solid sleeping, wakes to nurse, goes back down

@Brady80: Baby acne over here too, hospital & ped said nothing to do, just wait it out

@littlebug: Congratulations! Love the name!

@bisous: Any update from you?

2. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@littlebug: Congratulations!! Love the name! I'll wall you my IG name too!

@DesertDreams88: I feel like anything goes for sleep at this point. And it looks like your LO knows the be more awake during the day and sleep at night which is awesome. 12-8am- I'm jealous!

After two nights of no sleep, and a toddler with croup, I sent DH out to buy a rock n'play yesterday. Grace actually slept in it from 8pm-2am and then 3am-7am, so I feel like a human again! And the steroids worked for my son so he slept for 12 hours without coughing, which was amazing. Phew, I was really starting to lose it yesterday!

3. Worrywart

apricot / 394 posts

How are you all getting such big blocks of sleep time?!?! DS is 7 weeks old and he's never done more than 3 hrs. I'm EBF and it seems like he snacks a lot during the day. Should I try to get him to eat longer 'meals?' I'm totally exhausted. I have him in the RNP at night swaddled (which he hates but is getting used to). I'm desperate for any advice. DD was FF and was doing much longer stretches by now. Help?!

4. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

DS2 has RSV and spent a night in the hospital last week, mostly due to his age. Fortunately no fever, and he seems to be getting better. He nursed okay throughout, but ate less than usual, and I am a bit nervous about my supply, especially because I am going back to work soon.

5. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Worrywart: Has the sleep improved this week? I wish I had advice to give but I don't think we're doing anything special. I hope you are get some longer stretches soon!

@mdf106: Oh no! Sorry you had to go through that but glad to hear everything ended up okay. When do you go back to work? How is your supply this week?

6. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Hows everyone doing?? Highs, lows??

High: DS is starting to become more aware and notice things around him. I think he is starting to recognize DH & I.
    Low: He resists daytime naps but this is getting better, I think. I've been trying some different things that seem to be helping.

7. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@DesertDreams88: Love that he's starting to recognize you guys! My DD still gives her dad a wide eyed, terrified look when he comes home from work and tries to hold her- lol!

I love the idea of highs and lows!

High: DD slept 9.5 hours on Tuesday night! Ironically, she sleeps better than my toddler and dog, who wake me up at least once a night.

Low: It getting harder and harder for her to fall asleep. At night, it's been taking us 2-3 hours of nursing and rocking and shushing and some crying before she finally gets into a deep sleep.

My parents watched the kids for 2 hours last night while I went out to dinner with DH. I was able to have a fancy cocktail for the first time since May and it was amazing! I think I guzzled it down in about thirty seconds...

I have my 6 week pp check up this afternoon. I'm curious to see if I'll be cleared for everything!

8. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@QueensBee: I am back at work this week. My supply seems fine, DS2 is generally a really good nurser. DS2 is over the RSV, but has a cold now. At least his breathing has been fine.

DS1 was very hard to get down but would sleep great once down. DS2 had his first five hour stretch this week, although he usually does at most three hours.

@DesertDreams88:
    High: Watching DS1 interact with DS2.
    Low: Currently, going back to work so early. My leave was unpaid, and I am the primary breadwinner. Going back to work has been a lot harder than last time, even though I have the same (very short) leave.

9. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

I don't know how I missed all the updates on this board! Sorry I haven't responded to anyone...
    @Worrywart: I'm sorry you are struggling with sleep. Mine is sleeping one 5 to 6 hour block, but it is early so I'm not getting that sleep. Then he's up a lot in the rest of the night. We are very tired too.
    @mdf106: RSV is so scary! Glad everyone is OK. And I can't believe you're back at work already
    @QueensBee: what!? Nine hours is crazy amazing! I couldn't be more jealous. I had my postpartum appointment this week and am cleared for everything but I have mastitis and she put me on antibiotics.

@DesertDreams88: we need to work on consistency with naps. I've been really bad about just letting him nap wherever he wants.

Highs:he's been happy, smiling, and even this cute little laugh
    Lows: I'm still getting over the flu that went around our house and now I have mastitis. I really want to find a solution for him waking up every hour or so after 2 o'clock in the morning. Ugh - so tired...

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@travellingbee: Ugh to mastitis! It must be hard to recover when you aren't getting much sleep. I hope the antibiotics work quickly. I know you are sensitive to antibiotics, hopefully they clear up the problem without creating new ones!

The 9 hour stretch of sleep was definitely a one time thing. She does sleep for some decent 6 hour stretches but Tuesday night's marathon of sleep was the exception rather than the rule!

11. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@worrywart: Oh, I didn't mean to imply DS sleeps 12-8am with no wake ups... haha no way! He wakes every 2-3 hours to nurse, which takes a total of about 45 minutes with a diaper change and soothing back to sleep. It is definitely exhausting! I have been reading this website and it's been very helpful to me as a FTM: http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2012/12/sleep-by-age-index.html

@Queensbee: Lol on the terrified-by-Dad look! We plan to introduce a breastmilk bottle sometime next week, I'm hoping that will help connect DH and DS more and help DH feel like he can soothe DS with feeding if necessary. I here you on the 2 hours of intense soothing.... we have had a couple of nights like that recently Yesterday we finally went out and bought a used bouncer; bouncing on the exercise ball was just too exhausting! And so glad you got a date night!!! My dad is visiting for 10 days mid-March so we have our first date nights planned.

@mdf104: Glad to hear that your supply and nursing relationship has stayed strong despite the early return to work! I have been very blessed to have this mat leave covered by 6-years-worth of saved sick time and short term disability, but future mat leaves will be very difficult as they'll be totally unpaid; leaving us to actually fall below the poverty line during that time stinks that most of the time we have to choose between providing for our children or being with our children.

@travellingbee: Mastitis sucks! I had it last week, plus clogged ducts every 2-3 days. Hopefully the antibiotics are kicking in, and you can get more sleep soon, which will help as well.

12. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

How's everyone doing this week?

My son has a mild stomach virus and G has a clogged tear duct, so we had two separate trips to the pediatrician yesterday. And, despite the fact that we introduced a bottle early, she decided this week to refuse the bottle! I'm going to try each day and hope that she'll drink from it again eventually.

But other than that, things are going well. My dad took a bunch of photos of her yesterday and I was amazed at how animated she looks in them. She's smiling, smirking, giving a furrowed brow...! So expressive! You can see she's much more alert and her personality is starting to emerge! I can't believe she'll be two months old in a few days...

13. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@QueensBee: I can't believe it's almost been 2 months either! I feel like she is so alert and expressive these days. She smiles and coos and flails her arms & legs around when she plays. Those moments are so much fun. I'm worried about the bottle thing. She took one just fine a few weeks ago, but I better try again before going back to work to be sure.

@DesertDreams88: my first maternity leave was definitely better than this one. I had only 6ish weeks of paid leave, but we had a lot in savings so I was able to take 4 months, because of my school's break schedule. This time I only have 5 weeks of paid time, so I'm going back next week at 8 weeks. Thankfully my husbands job gives 3 paid weeks, so C gets to stay home until 11 weeks.

@travellingbee: booo to mastitis! I got it at like 4 weeks, but it must have been a mild case because the fever/clog/redness was gone in a few days and I didn't need to take the antibiotics. I hope you're doing better now.

High: seeing her smile so much, being able to figure out her natural schedule (she eats & naps like clockwork!)
    Low: going back to work, the witching hour(s!), figuring out just the right amount of diary so that she doesn't have tummy trouble.

14. travellingbee

@QueensBee: same! He was taking the bottle fine and now is acting like he's drowning when he drinks out of one and then cries and pulls away😣

15. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@JoyfulKiwi: Wow, I'm impressed and jealous you have a handle on daily schedule! That's great! Each day, it feels like a bit of a gamble when we leave to do something. I'm never quite sure when she's going to want to sleep, wake up, eat or poop!

@travellingbee: Good luck with it! It was so nice being able to leave at any time, knowing that her sitter could just give her a bottle. Now I have some anxiety when I'm out on an errand bc I know she might be home screaming for milk! I guess she'll have to adapt eventually. Are you going back to work before the end of the school year?

16. travellingbee

@QueensBee: I just went to babies R us and picked up a couple different preemie flow nipples to see if that helps. We will see.

Little guy is consistent in his schedule about a few things. He always stays up for about an hour. In his crib he will nap for 45 minutes. In his swing he will nap for up to 2 1/2 hours if it's earlier in the day and an hour if it's later in the day. He wants to eat about every 2 to 3 hours. I think he is having a major growth spurt right now. He is gaining a bunch and sleeping a lot throughout the day. He is up to 15 pounds already! Two months old tomorrow.

17. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

DS2 will take a bottle, but he is unenthusiastic. I am not sure about the details, because I am away when he gets bottles. He is always starving when I get home from nurse, and will nurse for at least an hour. This really interferes with spending time with DS1, because it is almost bedtime by the time I am done nursing.

18. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

In the thick of the 6 wk growth spurt! Wow this kinda stinks! He fed for about 2 more hrs and slept for about 2 less hrs than usual. He was pretty much awake and so cranky from 8-3 yesterday, partially bc I didn't recognize it was a growth spurt so I was trying comfort measures other than nursing every 2 ish hrs. And for the past 2 days he's nursed to sleep sometimes during the day (which I usually try to avoid ), but NOT at night, which is when I want to!

Anyways... just kvetching.

On the upside, my bleeding stopped and I rejoined my gym / yoga place.

19. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@DesertDreams88: Oh man, growth spurts are hard! It's hard to realize when they've started - it's like you're baby has been broken and then you realize Duh, it's a growth spurt! Congrats on being 6 weeks and physically feeling healed. The end of the elaborate bathroom routine is so great!

I'm not 100% sure C is colicky, but she sure does cry A LOT in the evening hours and is impossible to settle. We can't get a read on why either. Sometimes it's a need to poop, sometimes it's a large spit-up, sometimes it seems to be overstimulation, sometimes it's nothing we can tell at all. She's never consistent though (some poops she cries, but others she doesn't). She also is a car seat screamer which is so unsettling. I'm wracking my brains trying to figure out how to comfort her, but the crying is so discouraging. I had a little meltdown a few nights ago and my husband wants me to go see a therapist. He thinks I have PPD, although I don't think he knows what that is really, but I told him I'd call on Monday. Blerg, I don't really want to go but I suppose it'll make him feel better.

20. travellingbee

@JoyfulKiwi: oh man Car seat screaming is the worst! I'm sorry. I hope this colic phase passes quickly for you. My First was like that in the evenings and it was hard. This one isn't as fussy and he goes to bed earlier so that helps too.

We are doing well. Settling into a routine and some decent sleep stretches at night. So mamma is happier. We had our two month check up and vaccinations today:
    24" long
    15lbs3oz!!!! Whoa big guy! He's in 6 month clothes already. This kid!

21. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@JoyfulKiwi: my LO wails in the car seat too unless I have my white noise app on, all the way up, and an A&A blanket over the top to block out the (blinding) sun. It took a lot of trial and error (AKA wailing) to figure this out! And it still only works about 60% of the time and if I start off wrong, forget it....
    As for the colic & being upset, that's totally understandable. I hope it's "just" sleep deprivation / stress / a stage; and not PPD like your husband thinks. I think you're going back to work this week, or next week; and your husband is staying home for the next 3 weeks? Best wishes for that transition, maybe that will take the "edge" off - I know you'll miss LO for sure but getting out into the "real world" and not being at the beck and call of a newborn 24/7 could also be a bit of a relief.

@travellingbee: Great job growing a healthy baby, mama So glad for you that this one seems to be a better sleeper! I imagine you go back to work soon, too? It will be so good to have a rhythm done before having to go back. We're still fumbling around but we've got 4 more weeks so hopefully it works itself out.

22. travellingbee

@DesertDreams88: I go back April 5th so 3 1/2 weeks. I'm sorry your LO is not a fan of the car. Mine usually just passes out immediately which actually can be a pain too because it throws off naps. Not as big a deal at this age. But a pain once they are on an actual schedule.

23. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

You guys are stressing me out talking about work! I'm ready for the stimulation (I've been home for 14 months now) but I'm happy with my little girl posse right now...

24. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@travellingbee: thanks, it's always good to hear that someone made it through a colicky baby & there will be an end to the madness! It's great that your little (big) guy is growing so well, although carrying him around must be killing you already!

@DesertDreams88: ugh, I'm sorry your guy hates the car! My first loved the car, so I was blindsided. The white noise is a good tip. I've been trying static from the radio, but my older son isnt a fan. I'm hopeful she'll outgrow this (she has had a few cry-free moments yesterday and today) You have a great memory, too! I go back to work tomorrow. C will come with me for the rest of this week, but then is home with DH until April. I'm looking forward to the adult interaction/work, but nervous about the transition.

I did made an appointment with a counselor for Saturday. I feel like it can't hurt to go. And, of course!, C has been awesome & way less fussy these past few days. Or maybe I'm just feeling calmer?

25. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@JoyfulKiwi: I hope your first days back at work have gone well. I have found the transition more challenging this time than last time. I hope C's colic improves, and that you feel better. Also, me being calmer has always caused my children to be less fussy, especially as babies, who seem to be really in tune with my stress level. DS2 does not seem to enjoy the car unless he is asleep, preferably already asleep when he gets in the car.

@travellingbee: DS2 is 12lb 13 oz, and a whopping 24.5 inches. He has grown 4 inches in two months.

26. travellingbee

@mdf106: my first did that- 2 inches per month- it was crazy!

27. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@mdf106: thanks for the well-wishes! I did a 1/2 week (wed-fri) and it was good overall. All the kids and parents welcoming me back made me feel so loved and I'm fortunate to be able to split up my lunch break to feed C 4x a day (we're in the same building). But having no lunch break = no downtime/decompressing time for me so I'm pretty drained come 6pm!
    On the bright side, C slept straight through last night from 7pm - 4am!! I had to get up and pump at 3, but I was so excited!

28. travellingbee

Check in survey?

LOs Age:
    Weight:
    Recent Milestones:
    Current Struggles:
    Random Tidbit:

29. travellingbee

LOs Age: 11 weeks
    Weight: 15.5lbs (maybe a little more now)
    Recent Milestones: he has rolled tummy to back three times but doesn't do it consistently, smiles and laughs a lot, and now does a lot of "talking", slept through the night several times and was even doing it fairly consistently but now it's back to waking up once to eat
    Current Struggles: trying to gear up to transition to the crib before I go back to work in a couple weeks
    Random Tidbit: he has recently started chewing on things, like my knuckles and even my nipples a few times! Grrrr... I hope he isn't going to be in early teether. My first son was.

30. arosebyany

clementine / 955 posts

LOs Age: 13 weeks
    Weight: 12lb 12oz two weeks ago
    Recent Milestones: he just went to one wake up a night!!! It's been about a week now, I'm super excited
    Current Struggles: everything else lol. My child refuses to be set down, he screams if he is not being held. Makes my life very complicated 😕
    Random Tidbit: he's doubled his birth weight!!! And also about 2 weeks ago I noticed one of his pupils is bigger than the other, we have an appt. with the optometrist next Monday. I'm trying not to worry because it can be hereditary, and he's not acting an differently, but still it's really bothering me.

31. arosebyany

clementine / 955 posts

@travellingbee: awesome on the rolling over! DS is still only doing side to back and back to side. Lots of baby smiles though. I love baby smiles! Good luck with the crib transition, I gave up lol

32. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

LOs Age: Ten weeks

Weight: 14lbs 15oz at her eight week appointment, off the charts in height, weight, and head circumference. I'm actually hoping her growth slows a bit eventually. The goal is not to have the biggest girl in school.

Recent Milestones: STTN! She's been randomly rolling but isn't consistent with it.

Current Struggles: getting an earlier bedtime. She's a 9:30 girl which means I'm having to wake her up in the mornings to get her biggest sister to preschool. I hate waking babies!

Random Tidbit: she has a double crown, two whorls on the back of her head. Haircuts will be tricky when she gets older!

33. travellingbee

@Jackiedavis87: oh no! Well, try to enjoy the baby snuggles and not worry about the stuff to do? Hard I know.

@oliviaoblivia: Did your other Girls slow down as well? At some point? They were all big when they were babies right?

So I was wrong. I just weighed him this morning and he is 16 pounds 2 1/2 ounces. Yikes! No wonder my back hurts!

34. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@travellingbee: big sis stayed big (high 90s) until around two and is now 75ish percent for weight and 85%for height. Little sis was big (small for me though!) at birth and is 50ish percent for weight and 80ish for height. So bigger than average but at least on the chart. Baby sister is about 12oz above the highest curve for girls. I've already cracked open the size threes.

35. travellingbee

@oliviaoblivia: for diapers? Yeah me too. This guy is even bigger than his brother was.

36. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@travellingbee: L (my oldest) was in threes at 12 weeks, but C (my middle) didn't wear them until six months. Using them at nine weeks feels crazy but twos were blow out city. I think I actually should have moved her up earlier but was in denial. Just be a bitty baby for a little while baby girl! These chubby babies.

37. travellingbee

@oliviaoblivia: I know. He didn't get to wear most of his three-month size clothes because he went almost straight from newborn to six month clothes. I was so sad that he missed out on some of those cute outfits I had saved for him.

38. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@travellingbee: yeah we started out in the three month stuff. Only my eight and a half pounder was able to wear our newborn stuff and only for a week. At least the middle kid gets something to herself. Haha. All those beautiful baby clothes I bought while pregnant with my first were pretty much a waste.
    I have so many 6-9 summer outfits that I'm throwing sweaters on and leggings under because there's no way they'll make it to see the warmer weather.
    I mean it's great they're so big and healthy but as a mama it's hard to give up the idea of a little bitty baby when you're lugging a tank around.

39. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

LOs Age: 10 weeks
    Weight: 12 lb 13 ounces at 2 months
    Recent Milestones: Lots of smiling
    Current Struggles: I am still struggling with being back at work. We are at one wake up, which I can't complain about at this age, but it will be much easier when he STTN. I have gotten longer stretches, so we seem to be heading in that direction. I feel like I hardly get to spend time with DS1 during the week, and most of my time with DS2 is nursing or getting him to sleep. My evening routine is not so much fun, with no downtime.

Random Tidbit: I am amazed how different my two sons are in both looks and especially personality. They are both easy babies, though.

@travellingbee: My pediatrician said to expect teeth with similar timing to older brother.

@oliviaoblivia: We actually have a similar bedtime, maybe a little later. I actually like it, because I can sleep during his long stretch. He only sleeps until around 7, though. It is an improvement over my first, who would not go down for the night until at least midnight.

40. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

LOs Age: 10 weeks
    Weight: I'm guessing somewhere between 11.5-12 lbs? She was almost 10lbs at 6 weeks.
    Recent Milestones: grabbing on to hanging objects, lots of new gurgling noises, & she was sleeping well until she got a head cold.
    Current Struggles: she's got a cold so she's all stuffed up and miserable. We're also trying to figure out if she has a food intolerance ; probably dairy.
    Random Tidbit: her colic-y behaviors seem to have decreased a lot! Yay! Also, she'll be getting some pictures taken at daycare tomorrow

I'm jealous of all your good sleepers! She was doing 2 wake-ups (with one being at 5 or 6 am which is when we're up for the day), but with this cold & being back at work, she's back to 3-4. Whomp whomp.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee