Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2013 Babies First Birthday Thread

1. sheskrafty

persimmon / 1165 posts

I love all these themes!! You all are so creative - I can't wait to see the pictures afterwards!!

We're going to have K's birthday at a nature center so we're going with a Woodland One-derland/nature theme. DH is really into the outdoors (as am I and K to an extent) so the theme is perfect. Hopefully K will think its fun too.

I am trying to think of an activity for the older kids - I thought about a scavenger hunt but you aren't allowed to disturb any of the plants. Oriental Trading has a lot of good stuff for the goodie bags. For the older kids I'm going to get a carabiner, compass, binoculars, magnifying glasses, flashlight, and smores to go. For the younger babies I was thinking of a food pouch and maybe a sippy cup/bento supply? We recently got a sippy cup in a goodie bag and it was great.

We're inviting around 80 - 25 are kids. Hopefully only 40-50 will show. There's a fireplace in the room so DH is really hoping it is cool on March 22 so they can light the fire. Weather can go either way around that time.

So many more fun things to plan!!

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: I was looking for star ones and I saw these. Not sure if you are going to do favors or not. But 9 for $3.14
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/154631746/mini-robot-shaped-crayons-set-of-9?ref=shop_home_active_2

3. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: Ahhh!!!!! I love them!!!! I will be ordering these right now!

ETA: And ordered! Thanks!!

4. Smurfette

@Adira: Let me know how they are. I am 90% sure I will order the star ones. 24 for $17 something, so $1.35 a piece.

5. Adira

@Smurfette: kk - I'll let you know once I get them!

6. Adira

Gahh, should I order these?? I can't decided...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/72672474/robot-lollipops-12-dozen

You get 6 of any one color/flavor for $10... so I'd probably have to order a few to get different colors...

7. Smurfette

@Adira: How old are the kids coming? I think they are super cute. And with the crayons and maybe some stickers, would be a great favor.

8. Adira

@Smurfette: The kids ages range from 1.5 to 8 years. Specifically 1.5, 1.5, 2.5, 4, and 8. Maybe the three younger ones are too little for lollipops?

9. Smurfette

@Adira: I think it depends on the parents. I know my family would have no issues with giving their 1.5 a lollipop but I have friends that wouldn't be happy.

10. Adira

Maybe for favors I can do the crayons, some robot stickers, and this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0449810798/

What do you all think?

11. sheskrafty

persimmon / 1165 posts

@adira; the book, crayons and stickers would be awesome!!

@smurfette: those crayons are the best! I'm totally ordering some frogs. You should be getting a commission!

12. Smurfette

@Adira: Love the book!!
    @sheskrafty: Haha!

13. Adira

@sheskrafty: @Smurfette: Thanks ladies!! I think that's what I will do then!

14. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

@Adira: Those crayons are freaking adorable.

15. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

Ok here's my belated birthday inspiration/idea post:

It's going to be a jewel tone bird themed tea party, with chalkboard details. Since its an afternoon tea, I'm just serving light food. I'm planning on doing a crostini bar and then tea, Izze sodas, cookies, and berry shortcakes? I think.

Here are a few inspiration pictures:

16. Adira

@Arden: That theme sounds adorable!! And I love the chalkboards! And those Crostinis sound delicious!!!

17. mole

apricot / 373 posts

How fun! I love reading about all of the themes. We just sent out invitations this week for our kiddo's party. No real theme: just lots of cheerful colors. We rented out this adorable indoor play space, where all of the materials and toys are Waldorf style, so the only thing we need to worry about is food! The party won't be during a meal time, and we are planning on doing fruit and veggie trays, chips and dip, sandwich trays, cookies, cupcakes, fancy sodas, water, and beer (for the adults, haha). I think we might give out board books as goodie bags for the kids who come; it just depends on how many RSVP and if I can find some good deals!

We also hired a photographer, but we might instead do a family/baby/cake smash session the week before.

18. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

I need help finding an invitation! I think I want to do something chalkboard style, but everything is in pastels and I either want white or with vibrant jewel toned colors! Anyone want to help me track something down?

19. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

I found this one but I wish it had more colors in it:

20. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

And I love this one, but soft pink is the only color option. Why must everything be pastels?!?!

21. mole

apricot / 373 posts

22. Adira

@Arden: This is similar to what you posted, but different colors:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/175827788/custom-1-year-birthday-chalk-invitation

and here's another chalk option:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/158914087/childrens-birthday-invitation-chalk

23. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

How did I miss this thread?!! such lovely ideas!! tagging so I can come back later.

24. Smurfette

@Arden: https://www.etsy.com/listing/165983247/winter-one-derland-chalkboard-printable?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_query=chalkboard+invitation+birthday&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=all

This one has a bird and I am sure the shop owner will make it any color you want
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/174143496/bird-invitation-chalkboard-birdie-first?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=chalkboard+invitation+birthday&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=5&ga_search_type=all

My friend has a shop on etsy. She did R's invitation and has done numerous shower invitations for me. I show her ones I like on minted, etsy, etc and then she makes. I am sure she could do the one you like but in colors you want. Wall me if you want her shop name.

25. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

Add me to the birthday list! E's bday is April 5. So far, I've settled on an aqua/pink/silver glitter theme. Just doing colors. We've decided on 4-7 on a Saturday afternoon/evening.

How early are you sending out invites? i'm thinking early march for an april 5 party?

Appetizers:
    Smokies in the crockpot
    Pink dyed deviled eggs
    Smurfette's red pepper jelly/cream cheese dip

Main dish:
    korean pork tacos (catered)
    Salad

Desserts:
    Cake
    Polish cookies
    Mochi

Drinks:
    pink punch (strawberry soda+ice cream)
    blue lemonade
    various booze and beer for the adults

I found this cute invitation online, too. Lots of aqua and pink balloons and I'm going to order some matching straws and silverware. I figure pink will not go to waste here! I'm going to pick up some outdoor kiddie games for the young kids that will be there (age 2-6).

I also need to rent some tables and chairs

Outfit-wise, I'm going to sew something like this:

26. Smurfette

@blackbird: I love that invitation!! So cute. And I expect my invitation in the mail, your menu sounds delish!! I still need to figure out what we are doing. I think I am going to mail ours out around Feb 15, so 4 weeks before the party.

27. blackbird

haha. you bet! I even am doing glitter lined invitations. Frivolous and I WANT THEM. I can't wait to make your dip! I have to make the jelly soon (i'm using my coworker's recipe cuz it was sooo good). Since we're doing it during dinner time, we figured we needed more food-food, ya know?

28. Adira

@blackbird: Early March for an early April party sounds right! I think I've heard you should send invites 4-6 weeks in advance? And I'm loving that invite and outfit!!!

29. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

Ahh- I just found this! I wanna join! Lil B's Party is April 13th. We are renting out a space since our house cant host all the people we are going to invite (which we learned the hard way when it was his baptism party!)
    I wanted to do a Micky Mouse themed party but my niece just did that with her twins (their birthday was at the beginning of Jan) so I don't want people to think I am snatching her idea (although I have been planning this since he was born and even his monthly stickets have mickey them.... BOO)
    So now we are doing a Very Hungry Caterpillar Theme...below are some inspiration pictures:

30. blackbird

I saw a really cute inspiration pic where the caterpillar was a bunch of roll up sandwiches!

31. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@blackbird: I love that idea!

32. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

I've been avoiding this thread because I didn't want to get overwhelmed! Our birthday party is coming up at the end of February. We reserved a local park and the party is starting at 11 am.

No theme for us, we're just doing colors… two shades of blue and orange. I'm going to make a chalkboard sign, I'm working on making paper mache yarn letters for his name, and they are definitely a labor of love! Some letters are hard!

For food, we're doing a huge spread of catered Korean food so there will be plenty of food. I'll be making cake pops, brownies, and cupcakes for desserts.

Decor will just be streamers and lots of balloons.

Trying to figure out what I want to do for favors or if we'll even have favors.

33. Smurfette

@Mrs. High Heels: How are you going to make the chalkboard sign? I would love to have one but they seem so expensive and I know that I don't have the skills to make one.

34. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@cheert16: Oh this is soooo soo cute!
    @Arden: Have you checked Etsy? There are a lot of chalkboard styles adn most of the designers will change the colors for you for free. I did that for my sister's shower and printed them at Office Depot.

@blackbird: Wow! You are way ahead of the game in planning! So cute!

@Mrs. High Heels: Seriously. I'm overwhelmed.

I just ordered a bunch of colored party stuff online. Between nap schedules and feeding, I can't even figure out when I'll have the time and focus to go search for stuff in stores.

I'm trying to figure out FOOD right now. I'd love to have some "Brazilian" style meats, since we're doing a Rio theme. But I'm not sure how to do it. If I hire the taco guy we usually do, I'm not sure what kind of meats to ask him to cook. And I need to figure out if there is a place allowed outside the clubhouse for him to cook. I can't deal with having to make anything myself the day of/night before. Anyone have ideas? Maybe I'll just ask my brother to man the BBQ and buy a ton of Costco meats?

35. blackbird

A rio theme is adorable! Love that! I think you could easily marinate hunks of beef and chicken the night before then grill them up. Brothers usually work for beer, right?

36. Mrs. High Heels

@blackbird: I used the colors aqua and pink for Noelle's first birthday!

@Smurfette: I'll link some websites later when I'm at a comp! I think you can do it! A lot of it is just imitation. I plan to use chalkboard spray paint on a canvas board as my base (so I can hang it in J's room as decor after all this is done).

37. Smurfette

@Mrs. High Heels: You haven't seen my handwriting!

38. Smurfette

@blackbird: glitter lined invitations, jelly!! I think that I am going to make the dip too. Only I will buy my jelly from Whole Foods.
    @cheert16: This is so cute!!

39. Mrs. High Heels

40. blackbird

@ms HH-great minds! Those chalkboards are cute but way more work than I'm interested in, since I'm already knee deep in food. And my handwriting is crap, too. But I love the look. What about an 11x14 print though? No handwriting involved!

Oh yeah the glitter invites are as frivolous as they come haha.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee