Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2012 babies chat

1. LuLu Mom

GOLD / wonderful olive / 19030 posts

I've been MIA lately, I had jury duty and wasn't allowed to be on the internet...boo! We are still dealing with teething and on top of that she had a little stomach bug...yesterday was a rough one. But she woke up happy as a clam this morning so it was good to see a smile from her again! I'm hoping that carries into this weekend, this momma needs some sleep again!

@Mrs.B: We have tried sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, carrots (stopped after 1 day she got a rash), peas, bananas, peaches, pears, & apples. Carrots are the only ones that gaves us troubles, and she hated peaches, but otherwise she devours all food given to her!

@antsmom: Welcome I'm glad you found the board! sounds like you have a happy little guy! My daughter has been chomping away on her teething toys as well!

2. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@hilsy85: I didn't even think of bundle me, duh! It won't be used soon (in her infant car seat we soon won't be using!) into the stroller it'll go! Thanks!!

3. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Just because we just ordered all our appliances for the new house, and I'm super excited (and now poor....!!) I'M GETTING A DOUBLE OVEN!!!! SO excited!

4. 2PeasinaPod

pomelo / 5524 posts

@Beebug: OMG...I'm so jealous of your double oven!

5. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@2PeasinaPod: I took my roasting pan to the store yesterday (hello crazy lady me, sales people were like wtf) because I wanted to be sure it'd fit in one of the two of them. Only getting it because through home builder we get them wholesale priced so it's sort of the retail cost of a regular stove, justified, right? Lol

6. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hellobeeboston: boo! Hope you were able to catch another flight.

@LuLu Mom: ah sorry you're dealing with the teething and stomach bug. Hope she feels better! Are you doing BLW or purées?

@Beebug: double oven, that's awesome!

@2PeasinaPod: where have u been? Haven't seen u on this thread in awhile.

I bought the baby led weaning book. Excited to start solids but we're going to wait until closer to 6 months. My little man is going to be 5 months next week! Time is flyin!

7. Kemma

grapefruit / 4291 posts

@mrskc: I've just read the BLW book and i thought it was great! I'm planning on starting Miss A on some veggie or fruit purees in a week or two once she's hit five months, Girlfriend is just sooo interested in my food and definitely knows what to do with a spoon...

@Beebug: Nice work on the double oven, I know that when we put our kitchen in a couple of years ago I went for the biggest oven we could afford and it was totally worth it.

@LuLu Mom: yah, teething sucks! I think we're in the process of getting some more teeth, I can't see anymore yet but A is definitely displaying the same behaviours she did before she got her first two.

We took Miss A to a first birthday party today and she was so good! She got handed round a fair bit and didn't bat an eye, she was really tired when we got home so we had a lovely nap together - bliss!

8. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@Beebug: jealous!! What did you do for a washer dryer? Just curious, we have to get new ones...

@LuLu Mom: sounds like she's loving food! We are going to start at 5.5 or 6 months...

@mrskc: @hilsy85: flight didn't get out BUT, we made the best of it - the one friend in NY came to Boston, we got a hotel room and hit the town! It was super fun. I should be sleeping in right now but can't! Ugh! Need to pump again, ha!

9. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@hellobeeboston: we got:

Maytag YMEDB750YW Dryer
    Maytag MVWB750YW Washer

We have HE front loader's now that will stay with this house. When we bought them we weren't told they needed pedestals, and spending $600 on two boxes wasn't a priority once we were in, so I've hated them from day one (and hate you have to buy them, lol). So the new one is an HE top loader, I missed not being able to soak things in the washer (like overnight) and then spin them out. With the ones we bought, I went to like 8 different appliances stores and asked what the best HE top loader was and the one we got or an LG set were the answer! Didn't get the LG because the wholesaler we got our appliances thru didn't carry LG.

10. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Kemma: that's great. I just started reading it this morning. Are you guys going to start with purées then move onto BLW?

@hellobeeboston: glad you were still able to have a girls night out!

@Beebug: I'm jealous of your washer and dryer. I'm not a fan of the front loaders so when we eventually buy a new washer and dryer, I want a HE top loader.

I'm off to go meet runningelley this morning! I wish I could meet all of you ladies.

11. sorrycharlie

hostess / watermelon / 14932 posts

I am so jealous of how active this board is! I kind of snoop because O is only 3 days shy of being an October baby!

12. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@sorrycharlie: aww you can join us! O is so close in age with all of our babies. I'd love to hear more about her. I guess the September thread never kicked off like the other months.

13. sorrycharlie

@mrskc: lol, I tried a couple times to get it restarted but it just doesn't really take off such a thread killer.

we just started solids this week (against Ped's recommendation..oops), but I feel like generally she's doing most of the stuff the October babies are! I'm going to read the last few pages and try to catch up!

14. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@sorrycharlie: boo to the September thread. why did the ped recommend against it? Are you doing purées? My ped said between 4-6 months but I don't think he's ready yet, so we're holding off.

15. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@mrskc: I'm hoping I like going back to top loader!! I was going to go back to non-HE top load as I really didn't care, but the water usage difference was more significant than I thought, so I thought while I have the choice, I better stick with he. Have fun with @Running Elley: this aft, say hello to her for me!!

@sorrycharlie: Join!!!

We had an ok night last night. Up for 20 mins around 3am, then 5:00am she was up, so I fed her, and I really don't think either of us went back to sleep, so DH got up with her at 6:30 and I slept until 8:30.....that was amazing, and I really appreciated DH letting me sleep.

16. sorrycharlie

@mrskc: well at the 4-m visit she just said, "no solids, her weight is fine keep nursing" which I agreed with, but lately she's been a beast at the dinner table. She sits with us while we eat and she slams the table, opens her mouth every time one of us takes a bite, and burst into tears the other day because I took a bite of my pizza, and DH said she had her mouth open! Haha.

So I called the Ped and asked about the fact that O will not take her Poly-Vi-Sol (don't blame her), and should I start oatmeal for iron. She said no, keep trying the vitamin, "recommendation is now 6 months for food allergies, readiness etc"...but the other Sept moms started earlier than 6, so I figured I would..lol.

But she actually eats all the food - we're doing purees for now, I'll slowly start making them chunkier and then do some BLW..maybe. But she doesn't play or spit it out - she lunges back for the spoon. So I feel like she's ready, I just feel like I'm going to get in "trouble" when I go for her 6-m visit haha! Kind of silly, I guess.

17. sorrycharlie

@Beebug: I missed most of the conversation but I have a top-loading HE and love it!! It was weird to get used to (I have to add soap and clothes, then shut it and then fill it) but we love it. And my husband is an electrician and gets filthy, and it gets everything clean.

18. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@LuLu Mom: aw glad E is feeling better!

@Beebug: woo hoo double oven! So exciting that you get all new appliances. @hellobeeboston: hope you had a fun night regardless!

@mrskc: so jealous!! I would love to meet all my Oct mamas! Maybe one day...
    @sorrycharlie: you can totally hang with us I feel like I know your LO through IG, lol. I actually thought that the link between starting solids earlier and allergies had been disproven? But either way, it sounds like your LO is totally ready....food before 1 is just for fun anyway, so I feel like it's not like it'll be taking away from her nursing! Ha, don't you hate when the pedi makes you feel guilty?

@mrskc: same here re: purees, but I am getting so antsy to start them!! I need to pick up the BLW book too and start reading.

@Beebug: we had a similar morning! Lo woke up at 3, ate, and then again at 5 and wouldn't go down so I fed him a bit, he woke at 6:30, DH got up with him and let me sleep til 8:30. Then I was up with him and DH slept til 11:3--lucky guy lol.

19. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@sorrycharlie: Awesome, I hope I love it!

Summary of why we were talking about it.....bought new house and just ordered all the appliances for it, I was tres excited about double oven, and then @hellobeeboston: asked what washer/dryer we got as she needs a new one!

Sounds like it's loaded like a front loading he! Can you stop the cycle and let stuff soak if needed?

20. sorrycharlie

@hilsy85: I thought it had been disproven, too! And we have no food allergies on either side of the family, so I wasn't too worried. sheesh, not like I'm starting her with peanut butter at 4 months to the day..lol! & I totally feel like I know all the Oct babies through IG! I'm a creeper.

@Beebug: yup! mine has a button that you press to stop the cycle and it won't automatically drain, so I guess I can soak that way..lol. But mine has a soak setting I think, I've never had to use it! I'll have to look in a little bit when I switch over the clothes.

21. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

I'm putting diapers out on clothesline here once cycle finishes, I am SO excited nice weather is coming and we have a taste of it today.

@sorrycharlie: Ohhh I wonder if "mine" will have a soak button, that's awesome!

Anyone doing anything tonight for daylight savings? Aside from changing clocks? lol. C's sleep is so messed, I feel like it might help us? Not sure how, but here's hoping.

@hilsy85: I am sure my DH would have loved to go back to bed, lol.

22. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

DH just left with C to go into the city for a hockey game.....first time they've ever gone anywhere together, kinda funny. He was definitely a little nervous, but trying not to show it. I made sure he was well packed and he should be fine! Definitely weird being home alone right now.

23. LuLu Mom

@mrskc: We are doing purees for the most part, however I will give her bananas and other mushy foods to chomp on when we are eating.

24. LuLu Mom

@Kemma: It's not fun! I think her top 2 will be in very soon even though I can't see them yet.

25. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@sorrycharlie: haha! You're a rebel.

Oh man, the time change messed with me. Didn't seem to affect DS much. He went to bed a little later last night than usual but he slept in until 7 am since it was still pretty dark out! Lately he's been waking up at 6 am every morning. Me on the other hand, I didn't get to sleep until midnight last night, so I'm pretty beat. Can't wait to get home and hopefully A is willing to take a nap with me. How did affect you ladies?

It's so hard to go to work on Mondays! A gave me the biggest smile before I left. It's so hard to leave that! I think he knows we're leaving, because he'll fuss for a bit right after we leave. I'm really missing him today.

I got to meet @runningelley: on Saturday! It was so fun! I really wish I could meet all of you ladies. I consider you all friends.

26. 2PeasinaPod

pomelo / 5524 posts

@mrskc: I've been around! I always feel bad crashing the October Mamas thread since I'm technically a September Mama! So fun that you and runningelley met on Saturday!!

27. 2PeasinaPod

pomelo / 5524 posts

@sorrycharlie: BTW, S started solids just before 5 months and he's a champ at it now! We've been doing mostly cereal, but I want to try some purees soon! Maybe tonight!

28. sorrycharlie

@2PeasinaPod: lol, I'm a Sept mama crashing the Oct thread too! our thread never really took off We actually skipped oatmeal and started with bananas, then the next night did peas. I mixed some (pre-mixed w/breastmilk) oatmeal in with the bananas because they were super runny though. She preferred the peas! She'll eat plain oatmeal, too. She seems to want to eat anything. I let her lick a pickle at lunch today and she tried to stuff it back into her mouth!!

@mrskc: Olivia's sleep has been crap since a little after 3 months..she caught a cold so i initially blamed it on that, but it never improved until a couple weeks ago when I moved her into her crib. now instead of hourly, she'll sleep at least 2, sometimes 4 hours before demanding food. usually she's up at 6:30 on the nose..the past 2 days after changing her, she's gone back down for another 2! I don't know what's up with her sleep. I miss before she got sick when she'd sleep 8 hours, nurse, then sleep 3. sigh.

29. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@mrskc: C was the same re: time change, a little later bedtime, and 7am wake up!

*knock on wood* last two nights have been GREAT and resemble something normal and totally ok, here's hoping it keeps up!

30. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

PS I totally want to give all of you Momma's who are back to work the biggest hug in the world.

We checked out a daycare today for the Fall and it was awesome, but the moment we got out the door to go the car I started bawling. Poor DH was like wtf...I was a mess. We are going to two more this week before we make our decision. My feelings/emotions shocked me a little because more often then not I'm so "I want a break", "I could go back to work now" but I really do need to value the position I am in and appreciate more of what our current situation is. Oye. I hope I'm not as emotional at the other two spots we check out.

We asked two friends of ours (married on C's bday, I was supposed to be in the wedding party) to be C's godparents today, they came over for brunch and we hadn't planned on asking them today, but DH wanted to, so he did, they were thrilled and of course so are we.

DH and I are splitting mornings this week, every other day I can sleep in, today was a sleep in morning for me and it's been awesome. C slept great last night, but I was awake when she has been, so the sleep in was much appreciated.

31. Kemma

grapefruit / 4291 posts

How are all the October Mama's doing at the moment?! Our thread has been quiet this week

I'm enjoying a Friday night gin, lime and lemonade to mentally prepare myself to fly solo for a week. DH is away for work from 730 tomorrow morning so it will be just Miss A and I at home (thank God my parents only live five minutes away!)

We've had a pretty exciting week developmentally, Miss A has really got the hang of rolling and can now go back and forth like a yoyo (fun to watch!), she can also shuffle herself backwards off her playgym - this kid is mobile! I can definitely see that we're going to need to start baby proofing sooner rather than later.

We're getting ready to start solids in the next couple of weeks, Miss A is five months old tomorow (how did that happen!?) and I think the menu will start with purees and then move onto BLW finger foods. We're still EBF but I've been experiencing pain due to bad habits and a lazy latch the crept in when A was teething and having her nursing strike. Thankfully we've had a really good latching day today which I think is a result of bettter positioning.

Anyways, hope everybody is well and looking forward to the weekend!

32. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: so jealous of your meet up! Wish I could meet you guys too. The time change hasn't really seemed to affect us...Lo still goes to sleep around 630 and has been waking up around 630. i''m surprised he's able to go to sleep then though, because it's pretty light in his room!

@Beebug: that's great that her sleep has been better! And big hugs about returning to work...I guess touring daycares made it feel more real?

@Kemma: aw cutie! And so exciting about the rolling. LO has only rolled tummy to back once! Good luck this week, I'm sure you'll do great.

We are currently attempting our first swaddle free nap, which is not going well at all--LO is flailing around in the crib. i'm trying to swaddle wean cold turkey now in preparation for sleep training, which I'm guessing we'll do sometime next week or so, after we go to the pedi for his weight check. He has been up like 2-4 times every night--it is BRUTAL. He doesn't even really want to eat sometimes. I can tell he's tired and just can't put himself back to sleep. Sleep training in the MOTN is going to be a biatch though--I am totally going to want to take the path of least resistance and just nurse him back to sleep! Waaah

33. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@sorrycharlie: "lick a pickle" I don't know why but this made me giggle. My son's sleep has been crap too. I miss the nights where he would go down at 7 pm and sleep until 5-6 am.

@Beebug: How did the other daycare checks go? It's really rough leaving my son every morning. As much as the break is nice, I want to be the one taking care of him! I'm jealous you guys get a year in Canada!

@Kemma: good luck with flying solo this week! I think I would go a bit crazy taking care of the baby 24/7 for a week! She looks so happy! And how fun with the rolling. I keep thinking DS is going to roll back to tummy, but he hasn't yet! He keeps getting on his side but doesn't go all the way over.

@hilsy85: Good luck with the swaddle weaning and sleep training! A's sleep has been crap too. What happened to my good sleeper?! Last week we had a great week of sleep and now this week he's up at least 4 times. I don't always feed him and my DH will help soothe him back to sleep. I don't know what's going on. Ever since around 4 months his sleep has been getting worse. I thought this regression would end already? If I knew there was an end in sight, I would feel better, but it's not looking like it. Maybe we're ready for some kind of sleep training. We're considering trying him in his crib. Maybe us moving around is waking him? Or I've thought about trying him out in our bed. But I don't sleep well when he's in bed with us. What method are you thinking about? Sorry for my ramblings.

34. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@hilsy85: Sleep was better, now she is sick. Poor thing, her first cold. Mega fever and mega runny nose. Last night was more awake then sleep, I don't even want to put her down, she's so much more congested horizontally. What are you going to do for sleep training? I don't think I'll be far behind you once she is healthy again and rolling back and forth.

@mrskc: Other daycare checks were ok, we settled on one of the home daycare options, right near my work, she totally would have been fine at all of the ones we went to, but DH especially liked where we settled on, and I am happy too. Come Fall she will be taking care of her youngest, and three other full timers (incl C), whereas we saw her at her worst this week with March Break at her max of her own (3) plus five others....it was busy! Lucky for us we will have her out for March Break with DH off and I would assume I would take the week off too when back to work.

I know this sounds bad but I am trying to compartmentalize the daycare, we hope she is only in X amount of time as we hope to be preggo again mid/later this year and would take her out again after the initial few weeks with LO #2 so she may only be there Oct to May or June.

@Kemma: Gin, lime and lemonade? Mmmm!! I haven't really drank at all and I don't even think about it really, but that sounds yummy, ha!! I hope C follows Miss A on the back and forth rolling....so exciting! Cute pic!!

This week has been great with DH home, and it makes me look forward to summer off together sooo much. I hope C gets better soon, poor thing, hate the sound of her all congested.

We bought and installed her next step car seat and she loves it, she can really look around a lot more, but the only thing she doesn't have now is her hanging toys that she loved in her infant seat, so hopefully looking around more will be an ok trade off? Haha, not sure.

35. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beebug: @mrskc: I think probably controlled CIO--like Ferber, with checks. I am going to wait at least another week or so though..have to build up my courage and do some reading on it.

I am SO annoyed...Dh and I have been trying to buy a vacation home upstate, and we put in a bid on a house at the beginning of the week. The couple has been giving us the run around and now we finally find out they re listing the house at a higher price and aren't willing to budge $1 from their asking price! So frustrating!

36. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@Beebug: aww yeah - going back to work is tough - and thinking about it made me cry so much - I've been back about 4 weeks now and it definitely gets better. I have my days when I miss him so much, but once you get into a routine it is better.

@hilsy85: Good luck with the swaddle weaning... I hope the sleep training goes OK - I hear ya, doing it in the MOTN is tough. we are transitioning J to his crib but doing it really slowly -- last night when he was up for his MOTN feeding (which hopefully he will stop doing soon?!) and I put him back in the crib, but he was up an hour later, instead of letting him work it out on his own & get back to sleep I picked him up, he immediately fell asleep & I put him in the Rock n Play. Oops... i needed to sleep though.... BUT he did sleep for 5 hours straight in the crib which is a new record.

Also - ANNOYING about the house upstate - that stinks... But maybe they won't get any offers and come back to work with you down the line?

@mrskc: hope A's sleep gets better... as I mentioned above - we have been transitioning to the crib. We're doing it slowly - we put him down in there, and let him go as long as possible.. First night was 30 minutes, then we got an hour, then the next night was 1.5, and last night we got 5 hours.... so i'm hoping we keep going down this path. I would be too nervous to have him in our bed - i would never sleep - part of our crib transition will also hopefully be better sleep for me since having him next to me in our room keeps me up a lot!

37. singingbee

pomelo / 5073 posts

Okay, ladies----I'm an October 2013 momma, but I wanted to ask you a question. Did y'all send out separate birth announcements and then holiday cards? Or just combine the two? I'm thinking since LO is due mid to late October that I'll have trouble getting my stuff together for announcements and holiday cards. What did y'all do?

38. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Jennimac: can't say congrats enough/so happy for you, yay Oct bbaby!! What's your due date!

We just did holiday cards we didn't do newborn pics, so perhaps if you plan to do birth announcements with those pics then a separate holiday card would definitely be awesome!

Bahhhh ladies, poor C. Last night was awwwwful. Up every hour/hour and a half. Her fever has broken, but so, so congested. We're seeing a lot more come out today (yellow phelegm, mmmm) so hopefully out is better than in!!

I'm tired!!

39. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Hahaha DH and I totally just got in a "fight" about whether or not we'd paint her room whatever colour she wanted (pinks, bright kid fun rooms) when she's a little older. DH was no, and I would so love to give her whatever crazy theme room she wanted.

I think I lost, he said let's paint one colour, then with decor, themed bedding (of whatever she would want) to have a colour explosion. I sort of agree now, lol.

We were also talking last night about LO #2. DH says "we'll keep trying til we get a boy". I nearly died laughing, I think he wants a boy more than I thought, and now I'd like all girls! I think we're back on to wanting 3, but have a 2nd and go from there....we'll see how we feel after 2, ha.

40. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@Beebug: DH and I have started talking about baby #2. We are looking to start again around June. Presently my family is planning a 10 trip to Hawaii in October. I would like to go and be comfortable for the whole trip. I have always said when we had kids that I wanted a boy first then two girls and then a boy. So far we are on track for that.

Presently DH, lo, and I are sleeping on the couch. We just had new flooring put in and we have to let it set. We get our room back tomorrow. Tomorrow night DS will be sleeping in his crib in his own room for the first time ever. I am a little nervous about it. I love having him in our room.

Things have been crazy at work. I have been working a lot more lately. At work we are undergoing a huge changeover. I am lucky enough that my mum is more then willing to watch him so I can work. I am not comfortable with any of the day cares in the area. I don't like working so much, all day I think about N. I am always calling my mom to check on him. I just want to be at home with him. However I need to work.

I am almost to my 6 month goal of pumping. I am pretty sure I am done at 6 months. I have tons frozen and need to get on some strong antibiotics to get this sinus infection gone. I met with my doctor about my sinus troubles. She was extremely supportive about postponing until I am ready.

We always have lots going on here. Today DH, N, and I are just hanging out and enjoying the day together.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee