Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2012 babies chat

1. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@MrsRcCar: oh my goodness - i'm so sorry, so tragic.

@hilsy85: J always has cold hands! especially since they're always in his mouth & wet - doc said it was fine as long as his body was warm... sorry to hear he was up so much again! BOO - hopefully you're almost through it...

We finally had J's 4 month checkup today (at 18 weeks) - he's 15lbs and 26" --- he, like many of your LOs, also dropped a little in weight, he was usually around 50th percentile now he's in the 30th, but Ped thought it was fine, said it might be before a growth spurt... and he's still pretty long, but not in 99th% anymore.

trying to decide if we will start solids - I may wait a few more weeks. Interesting thing - the Ped recommended starting with pureed meats (gross, ha!) but she said they are the best source of iron out there which is what they need at the young age (6 months)... so, we'll see. We might just try the rice cereal first & see how that goes.

J WAS waking at 3am to eat for the past 2 or 3 weeks and knock on wood, has been sleeping through the night again, so hopefully we're back to normal... Now I'm FINALLY going to try to get him into his crib. I think it's going to be a rough transition but I think now is the time - I just noticed that I think he is aware that we are next to him when sleeping & I don't want him to get used to that. I love having him in our room, but I think it's time our babies are getting so big!

2. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@MrsRCCar: I'm so sorry about your aunt, that is so horrible, I can't imagine.

@Beebug: Nice, I would love to see your album! That's such a great idea.

@Hilsy85: I heard that babies' hands and feet can be cold and that's not a problem - we keep J's room around 72-73 degrees (with a little heater/fan) - I understand that's even warmer than a baby's room is supposed to be at night - and his hands are still sometimes cold when he wakes up. I try not to worry too much about it.

@SleepyMonkey: I'm glad L is feeling better! J misses her. I showed him the photos from your vacation and he actually started cooing at them (could be a coincidence, but I'd like to think he was happy to see her!)

J just had his 4 month checkup today (2 weeks late - too difficult to get appointments at his doctor's office!), and he's still too skinny! 26.1 inches (up to 78th percentile, from 59th) in height and 13 lbs 12 oz in weight (down to the 19th percentile, from 31st). Oops. The doctor said I should pump after each feeding to get my supply up. The strange thing is, J doesn't seem hungry after each feeding, and he's able to go at least 3 hours between feedings now, so I don't know what's up. Maybe he should just be eating more. Or maybe he wants to be a male baby model, Zoolander-style. She said if his weight keeps going down in percentiles and doesn't stabilize, we'll need to discuss supplementing. Interestingly, she said she wanted to stabilize his milk intake before introducing solids, which seems different from what some of you guys have been doing.

He's been rolling like crazy the last couple days. At every opportunity he'll roll from back to front, and most of the time he'll forget that he's able to roll from front to back and get agitated after a while. Love the drooly mess he makes underneath his head when he's on his tummy!

3. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

Oh, I forgot to ask - we're thinking about changing pediatricians for J. The one we go to is highly recommended and people seem to love the doctors there, but we think they're not very nice. They seem very rough and not very sweet. I know they need to manipulate the babies' joints and pull them up and poke them and everything, but I think you can do that in a nicer way? Are your pediatricians gentle?

4. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

5. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@hilsy85: she was perfectly fine after her shots, woke up from a long nap and was cheerful. Phew! Sounds like L isn't ready to give up the swaddle yet then! I think if it works for you guys then that is the right thing to do. Btw L's hands are always cold too. We keep it 71-72 in her room and she has a footie and fleece sleep sack and her hands are still cold. I might even be overdressing her?

@Beehive: L misses J too! We should try to get together maybe when the weather is warmer? Sorry about J dropping some percebtiles, but LOL about the baby zoolander! Good luck with the pumping! If he isn't hungry, how are you going to get him to eat? I know if L isn't hungry she will scream if I try to put her back on. Hopefully J is more amenable there are two PEDs at my place and one is cold and has terrible bedside manner. But she is gentle physically...the other is warm and gentle...I prefer the latter obviously but she is leaving in May. Then we will just have to go to the cold ped. But its a block away and its convenient....plus she is well qualified I think. I can stand a little coldness I suppose. Anyway maybe some of the moms in your moms groups will have suggestions?

6. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@MrsRcCar: Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt. Thinking of her and your family. That was my worst nightmare at the end of pregnancy.

7. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Beebug: How fun you got to meet up with some HB ladies!

8. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hilsy85: A had cold hands too when we leave one arm out. I'm not sure what to do about it, but he seems to sleep ok. Sorry sleep hasn't been great. It's not great for us either. Some nights he does great and other nights, like last night, he was up 4 times. How is nursing going? Are you still having issues with him fussing? Someone posted this article. It got me thinking, maybe your flow is too slow for him? Maybe you could add a pumping session in once a day to boost supply?

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/mm/article-milkflow.aspx

@hellobeeboston: pureed meat?! sounds gross. Glad his sleep improved. I'm still waiting for my little guy's sleep to get better again. ETA: And good luck trying to move him to his crib. We haven't attempted that yet. Let us know how it goes.

@Beehive: It seems like a lot of our LO's have dropped percentiles this month. Hope he gains some good weight! And my ped seems gentle. My baby cries sometimes but I don't feel he's hurting him... he's just cranky.

9. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beehive: @SleepyMonkey: @mrskc: @hellobeeboston: I guess the cold hands thing is common! I just felt so bad--his hand was ice cold. But the rest of him was warm...I don't know. His naps have been really good the last two days fully swaddled so I kind of don't want to mess with it now!

@Beehive: J and L have almost the same stats! L also doesn't seem hungry after nursing and can go up to 5 hours during the day between sessions (I hardly ever let him because he's so skinny)...I'll have to see what our pedi recommends when we go back for a weight check.
    @hellobeeboston: our pedi also recommended pureed meat as a first food! She said that she knows most parents won't do it, however, as it's kind of gross!

@mrskc: thanks for askinG! Nursing is going...ok. I did figure out that at least some of his fussing was because he was annoyed with a slow flow--which is ironic because I have a very fast/overactive letdown! I guess then it gets slow and he's not happy? So it helps if I massage my breast while he nurses--however this is really annoying and uncomfortable for me, but I guess I'll do what I have to do. However, a bigger issue now is that he just isn't really interested in nursing for a lot of the day. He'll only nurse for a few minutes for 3-4 of his nursing sessions during the day. I know they can get a lot in just a few minutes, but it still just doesn't seem like enough. As for supply, I really think I have enough milk--whenever he's on my breast, I can massage some out or have it spray out, so there's definitely milk in there. I've been drinking mother's milk tea daily though, just to help a bit.

I'm debating buying a baby scale so I can know how many oz he's taking per feeding. Part of me thinks it's silly when we have a weight check at the pedi in 2 wks, but I don't want to be really caught off guard if he hasn't really gained anything by then.

10. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@TurtleDoves: perhaps we can meet up this weekend. I know it is short notice but I am going to be in your neck of the woods. Shoot me an e-mail: photographybysamantha at hotmail dot com.

11. LuLu Mom

GOLD / wonderful olive / 19030 posts

@Beehive: Ours is super gentle, almost motherly toward DD! I wouldn't be okay with a mean/rough doctor either!

So it's official we have a baby girl with 2 bottom teeth! thank goodness her getting up every hour the last two night has had a purpose! I'm hoping now that they are poked through she will have a little bit of a relief and can sleep better.

12. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@LuLu Mom: Hopefully your lo gets relief soon. I am dreading when N starts cutting teeth.

13. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

Thank you all for the thoughts for my family. It is times like this I am glad that I am part of this community.

14. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@LuLu Mom: glad that the teeth finally sprouted! i am not looking forward to teething at all!

15. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@LuLu Mom: Yay! How Exciting!

16. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@LuLu Mom: So exciting about the teeth!!

DH is convinced C is going to pop any any time now, funny we were just talking about that about a half hour ago.

I worked today!! Totally voluntary. It was an event at work for 3000 people or so I used to plan/manage, so for the first time in like four years I attended with not a care in the world, VERY different feeling! I had a blast, honestly I probably did more social time, then work time, but whatever, ha! DH and C came at the end and I showed her off a little, it was too fun. I miss work.

@mrskc: I'm in the bad sleep party too, last night was rough. I am hoping tonight is better, just need one night to recharge!

Re: cold hands....C has cold hands some nights too, she sleeps with them out to her side when flat on her back, I read to always put a finger behind their neck to check for real temp if they are cold or not when sleeping!

@hilsy85: C was going for long stretches 4-5 hours and of course has cut down to 4x a day when I was nursing, she is a stringbean too, definitely had the same feelings and wondering if she was getting enough, but knew I had milk too, but yah...never seemed like she could be eating/getting enough.

We went to church last week for the first time, going to go again tomorrow morning. Not much else planned, I am craving pancakes.

17. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hilsy85: I hope things get better and he gains some weight. Do you think if you pumped once a day and increased your supply a little, it would make the milk come out faster? Just a thought. Can you take him in for a weight check sooner if it's stressing you out?

@LuLu Mom: Wow, teeth! How exciting.

18. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Ugh. Another not good baby story.

One of my bff's. Her bff was due around now, went into labour last week, for a couple days, trying to avoid any intervention, lack of progress, doctor's finally said they needed to do emergency c-section, baby was in distress. Lack of oxygen, baby born and died 12 hours later Hug your LOs tight, I don't even want to imagine.

ugh.

19. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Beebug: Oh my gosh! So tragic. I'm so sorry for your friend.

20. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@mrskc: So sad eh, : (

C didn't feed through night last night, just woke for paci early in the night twice and woke for day 6:30. Ummmm who whispered in her ear last night that I really needed that! I know it wont happen again tonight, but it is really nice to know it can happen!

21. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: I actually ended up ordering a baby scale off amazon, lol...it should be here tomorrow so I'm going to start doing weighed feedings. It's really weird thoug, he'll unlatch and there will be milk dribbling out of his mouth, so it's like he's just really not hungry/interested in eating! But it only happens during the day--his MOTN feedings and when I nurse him to bed are always good sessions. That also makes it hard to think about sleep training, since I don't want him to miss out on those good nursing sessions. @Beebug: oh my goodness, that's terrible. my heart goes out to her.

22. LuLu Mom

@MrsRcCar: @mrskc: @Mrs.B: It's very exciting, but I am one tired momma. Still no relief from the teeth, last night was another long night. I think I'm going to be struggling to stay awake today at work!

@Beebug: I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, I can't even imagine what she is gonig through. I will be giving extra kisses tonight when I go pick up LO!

23. LuLu Mom

@SleepyMonkey: It's been rough that is for sure. I'm thankful she did 2 at once though, only 18 more to go

24. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@Beebug: So sad I can't even imagine what she is going threw.

25. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

Alia is rolling back to belly and belly to back now. She is starting to do it with purpose which is really fun to watch.

For everyone that has started solids what foods have you tried? I've been really hesitant when trying new food because I'm terrified of an allergic reaction.

26. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hilsy85: I hope the baby scale helps give you a better idea! Maybe during the day he's more interested in other things rather than eating. I know my little guy will only eat 3-4 minutes and then just start looking around and smiling. But I don't worry too much because he's always only nursed around 5 minutes. On days it seems like he didn't nurse a lot, I don't mind waking up more in the night to feed him.

27. Kemma

grapefruit / 4291 posts

I'm sorry I haven't commented for awhile, sometimes this thread gets on top of me! Hope all your LO's are growing nicely and I can't believe that our wee babe's are going to be six months old in a month or two!

Anybody else feel like they're going through a bit of a slump at the moment? I'm not sure if it's sleep regression, teething or a combo of lots of stuff but I swear it's like we've gone back in time three months! Today started badly at 5am with me discovering I'd leaked breastmilk all through our bed (I've never leaked more than a few drops so this was a surprise!) followed by Miss A throwing up her entire feed all over the bed in her room and me (yay for a 5am bedding and pajama change for both of us) and then wakeups at 6am and 630am. We've also had a really fussy and non sleeping day so I hope tonight / tomorrow are better!

A's night wakings have been all over the place for the last couple of weeks, we've had a 630 sttn wakeup one night / morning (yay!) followed by a 430am, 530am, 630am the next, daytime naps have also been all over the place and I just feel.so.tired. I know this is just a phase and will pass but it's hard work...

@Mrs.B: I think we're going to start solids once A hits five months in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking of starting with pureed carrot or bananas and then moving onto baby led weaning after a wee while. I gave A a smear of icecream on a dessert spoon the other night and she just about fell over with excitement! Girlfriend definitely knows what to do with a spoon too

@hilsy85: Miss A is being funny with her feeding at the moment, she's definitely hungry but wants to arse round and bend away from the boob which is just so frustrating because it's negatively affecting her latch. I'm sure your LO is taking enough calories even if weight gain has slowed, as long as you're getting good outputs and he's thriving then you're doing good! From what I've read the slowdown in weight gain is really common at this age and several of the babies in my coffee group are going through the same slow down (Miss A on the otherhand is still packing on almost a kilo a month!)

@Beebug: So sorry to read about your friend, this would have to be any expectant parent's worst nightmare.

@LuLu Mom: Exciting news about the teeth!

@MrsRcCar: My thoughts are with your family, hope you're all holding together ok.

28. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: @Kemma: thanks guys! The scale came last night, so I am going to do a weighed feeding today, woo hoo!

LO slept 7-4 last night!!! LOngest stretch he's done in weeks....i'm sure tomorrow it will be all over the place again, but I got 5 straight hours and feel great today!

ETA just did a weighed feeding and LO took in about 5.5oz in 8 minutes or so! I'm pretty happy with that, makes me feel better about my supply for sure.

29. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@Kemma: Thank you for your thoughts. Everyone seems to be getting through, I won't say over but through. I hope A's sleep gets to be more regular.

DH and I have been traveling like crazy the last couple of weekends. N has handled all the traveling extremely well. I am blessed that he rides so well in the car.

This past weekend I met up with @TURTLEDOVES:. It was so awesome to meet up with another mom. Most my friends don't have kids or their kids are way older then N. I am hoping to meet up with more HB moms in the spring or summer.

As I wrote this post DH and I are driving back home from the ENT with N. They thought it best do clip his lip so they went ahead and did it in office today. Poor N screamed like crazy for about 2 minutes and now he is fine. In fact he is asleep in his car seat.

I hope everyone is well.

Ps. N is 5 months today. Time flies.

30. antsmom

pea / 23 posts

Hello, my son was born on October 17. He is just awesome! He coos and laughs so much. The teething giraffe is by far his favorite toy; he is constantly munching away at it. Last week he started oatmeal and he loves it. I was hoping it would help him to sttn, but it doesn't He goes to bed between 7-8pm and usually gets up for a bottle around 3am, and wakes up for the day between 5-6am. He is definitely a morning baby! Any advice on how to get him to be a better sleeper?

@MrsRcCar: You and your family are in my prayers.

31. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@antsmom: sounds like he's a pretty awesome sleeper!! I think one wake up at this age is really normal. As for waking up early some babies are just early risers I think...if you leave him in his crib for a bit will he be content?

@MrsRcCar: yay for getting the lip tie taken care of!! Have you guys tried nursing yet to see if it feels better? i'm so glad they did it--and that it was so quick and easy!

32. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Kemma: Oh yes, I feel like we've regressed. We've had nights where he's up multiple times!

@hilsy85: Woohoo for the long sleep! That's how I felt over the weekend. He slept 8pm-6am. It was awesome! It seems like we have more bad nights than good nights now. He used to consistently sleep all night and maybe have one bad night a week. Now it's the opposite. And 5.5 ounces is great!!! No reason to worry. I'm sure he's gaining enough weight.

@antsmom: Welcome! My son was born just 3 days before yours! And he also loves his Sophie the giraffe. His sleep sounds pretty good. Sounds like my son. He's usually awake at 6 am everyday. I'm lucky if he sleep in until 7am.

33. Kemma

grapefruit / 4291 posts

@hilsy85: 5.5 oz is an awesome amount for one feeding! With numbers like that you definitely shouldn't worry about your supply

@MrsRcCar: good stuff on getting LO's lip tie cut, I really hope it helps with the breastfeeding. It sucks to hear baby upset at having it done but they bounce back so quick!

@antsmom: My Lo was born on the 16th and still does one night waking!

@mrskc: This week feels like it's been hard work and I'm seriously hoping we resume normal programming sooner rather than later. DH has been working night shift this week and LO and I have been busy and our routine is way off.

34. antsmom

pea / 23 posts

@hilsy85: He does not really like to be awake in his crib. He will usually coo and smile for a few minutes right after he wakes up in the morning, but than he wants out. He also only does that if DH or I are leaning over the crib talking to him.

@mrskc: That's awesome that your son slept from 8pm-6am; mine has never gone straight through the night. I'm sorry your having lots of bad nights now though. Hopefully he goes back to his old sleeping patterns soon!

@Kemma: I didn't realize it was this common for 4.5 month olds to consistently do night feedings. I know routine is so important, and we finally have a pretty good one. Last week we were out well past LO's bedtime, and he ended up waking up multiple times during the night, and was really cranky the following day. It is impossible to not stray from his bedtime routine occasionally, but now we make every effort to stick with it or we end up with one unhappy baby.

35. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@antsmom: Welcome! My daughter was born 3 days after your son! Not sure on getting him to sleep longer, whatever you do in the hours from when he wakes to when you'd prefer him to wake could you be low key with him in his room (quiet, dark, not a lot of stimulation, etc?) and maybe that would push him to sleep longer (eventually?) maybe?

I'm the worst one in the world for any sleep advice right now.

@hilsy85: That is awesome about 5.5oz! Amazing!!!

Picked up C's next step car seat today, will be tricky these next few weeks, her "cozy" thing for her current seat makes it bulkier, but it's sort of starting to warm up, so not sure when we'll make the switch. It is so tight now (can't loosen it any further) with that (plus she's long, plus CDs). I pretty much carry her in to where ever I go now rather than leave her in the seat, so I don't think it'll be too much of a transition, except when she's fallen asleep in it and I can't just grab n go with the seat....

I've had a really tough few nights. DH is home for 9 days/nights as of Friday (March Break) so it might be time for some Paci weaning/CIO. She is rolling (just back to belly) like a crazy girl and getting herself stuck, so that on top of the paci and losing it (and now taking it out and chucking it (unintentionally, I think)) I'm a little spent. Last night I put a pillow and blanket beside her crib and just laid on the floor.

That being said she's currently sleeping on her belly. I'm beyond nervous about it, but if she can get herself there and stay asleep I have to let her, I guess??

36. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Beebug: We're thinking about switching to the convertible seat soon too. I can't decide which one to buy tho. We almost always never take the infant seat out anymore. It's sooo heavy! Hope your nights improve! My little guy hasn't rolled from back to belly yet.

So, A's sleep has improved sooo much over the last 3 nights. He's back to his usual sleep. Maybe this 4 month regression has ended? Whatever has happened, I'm happy to be getting more sleep. Last night he slept 11 straight hours. My DH only got up once at 4 am and moved him to his bouncy chair. That's the longest he's lasted in the pack n play! Yay!

Hope everyone else is doing great.

37. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: wahhh so jealous! We had two nights where LO woke up only once, but now he's back to 2-3 wakeups a night. And last night he WOULD NOT go back down at 5am so I had to rock him for a bit. Boo!

I have a feeling we'll be doing some sleep training after his 5 month appt. @Beebug: how was C last night?

38. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@Beebug: I have a lot of friends that said their babies slept better once they were on their tummies... So you are right, if she can get there she is probably OK.

@mrskc: awesome about A's sleep!! Lets hope it stays that way!

@hilsy85: I think I wrote on this board that J was doing better with sleep but totally jinxed it - he did like 5 nights, then started waking again.... Booooo.

In other news I am supposed to be flying to Baltimore today and the flight got cancelled because of this dumb snowstorm! Grr.

Me and my friends are hoping to get out later but we are so bummed -- so much planning and extra milk production to get a mommies night out! (3 of us were bringing pumps with, ha) Good news is I have 30oz of fresh milk in the fridge and 15oz frozen so we were all set for me to be gone 24hrs...

39. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@hellobeeboston: Hope you can get out on a flight today and get the night out, sounds exciting!

@hilsy85: Thanks for asking! I am not sure if she's getting better or I'm just get more used to the awfulness, lol. DH and I now tag team it, it was about an hour and a half last night after I fed her of lay down, roll, her cry, flip her back, paci in, paci thrown, paci in, roll, repeat 80 zillion times. I finally got two big pillows and from her waistline down wedged her so she couldn't roll. She cried for like 30 seconds and then was out cold on her back, once I knew she was out out, I took the pillows away and hoped for the best. She woke like 5 mins later, paci back in and actually stayed asleep until this morning.

DH and I have been talking about sleep training, and we decided until she's sleeping on her belly regularly or can roll herself onto her back it's not really fair to her. In the meantime we will tag team, reduce daytime paci use and try to get her napping on her belly and hopefully things will come together. DH waking with me through this has really helped me mentally, and made him realize that sleep training is definitely needed. Before I don't think he was on board with CIO at all, but I have been sending him lots to read about it and he almost seems to have a handle on our plan more than me now, which is really re-assuring!

All that being said she's napping on her belly right now!! She looks so cozy, I stayed with her a bit, but needed to have brekkie, so we'll see how long it lasts.

We went on a huge walk this morning, the nice weather is coming! It's above zero, I walked with no weather shield on the stroller for the first time and it was so fun, I think she loved it! I had the sun shade down all the way though, sun was so bright!!

Dumb question, when it's no longer cold enough for snowsuit (it really wasn't cold enough today, but I did it out of our norm) what will I put her in? Jacket with blanket on top? Lighter snow suit like one piece? What does everyone else do in warmer temps? All I have ever used to date (and in the carrier too) is a gap one piece snowsuit that's like an inch thick of fleece with whatever she has on underneath, and then in the stroller a blanket on top of her, and then the plastic weathershield. Why do I feel so dumb with what she should wear now, oh my.

@mrskc: It seemed to me there were like two options for convertible seats versus the oodles of choices for infant seats. Ours is a "safety 1st" brand one, black, I read the manual last night, DH and I going to install it this weekend.

40. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beebug: Do you have a bundle me or something similar? We're using this right now: http://www.amazon.com/Enfant-Evolution-Extendable-Adaptable-Strollers/dp/B002CZP8US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362756130&sr=8-1&keywords=7+am+enfant

and will switch to this when the weather is warmer, but LO still needs something: http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Bundleme-Stealth-Toddler/dp/B000G7YO7M/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1362756196&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=jj+cole+urban+bundle+me

The top zips down on the 2nd one so if it's warm, we can let more air in.

Glad you and DH are on the same page! It's the opposite with us--DH has been pushing for sleep training for a while but I've been holding out. I think we'll probably do something similar to Ferber, need to do more research thoug.

@hellobeeboston: ah so sorry your flight was cancelled!!! I hope you're able to get on a later one, although it's still snowing pretty hard here in NYC!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee