Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2018 moms

1. Littlebear

coffee bean / 27 posts

@yogifish @ANBANAN15 @yogirunner congratulations and welcome!!

@silva thanks for the clothes tips! I recently found some nice h&m maternity options that are under their “conscious” label, but i’m holding on ordering anything until after my u/s. I also want to find some nursing options as it will get chilly quickly after these October babies are born! Last time I did a lot of layering of nursing tank with regular shirts on top that could either pull up or down. I need to find some more top layers and will need a bunch of new nursing tanks and bras. Has anyone tried and liked h&m’s nursing tanks and bras? They are also under the conscious label and seem nice but I don’t like that I can’t try them on in person.
    @silva and @yogirunner i’m also in New England. Both my other kids weee born in CA, so this is my first pregnancy here. Did you all have your previous kids in the area? How was your experience? Any Boston- area hospital recommendations?

2. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Littlebear: I didn’t know H&M had a conscious label. I currently bring old fabric there for recycling so that’s cool.

3. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

@yogifish: Hi and congrats! Personally, no, I will not be continuing any hot yoga from here on out. I will still practice regularly in non-heated classes like I did for my last pregnancy, or maybe a warm vinyasa here and there, but I'm not comfortable elevating my body temperature that high. It's the one contraindication with pregnancy that I really pay attention to (same vein as hot tubs, saunas, etc). I'd ask your doctor his/her opinion though if you're dying to keep going to bikram! It's so addictive.

4. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

@Littlebear: Hey! You can't go wrong with Boston area hospitals, we're so fortunate. Even outside of the city there are some good ones (like Newton-Wellesley, where I lot of my local mom friends delivered). My OB has her practice in a suburb outside of Boston but delivers at Beth Israel. Beth Isreal a bit of a drive for me, but I liked my experience there and I LOVE my OB. Also, during my stay at the hospital, they had something called "cannoli day" and came to my room with a cart full of make-your-own cannolis frequently. Needless to say, I was a fan.

5. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@YogiRunner: I know right? I'm so bad I went until 10 weeks with my first and it was actually more how gross it smelled that made me stop going LOL! and as far as the heat goes, with my first I was again pretty bad, I'm also a swimmer in the pool 4x a week and would sit in the hot tub after each practice for at least 15 minutes. I would just sit half out if I started feeling fainty. Pretty sure my doctor would tell me to stop she's pretty crazy about things. She's not an OB though, we don't get referred to an OB until around 14-16 weeks here (ish again apparently I remember nothing from my first pregnancy).

I'll probably just end up going until my body says yuck and go from there. Bikram has a pregnancy sequence so I figure there is probably women in India doing yoga and really living where it's 42C daily just doing chores.

6. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@yogifish: I normally get really warm when I work out and lately it's been extra hot for me, so I'll skip anything heat based. I went to barre class tonight and was overheating like, ten minutes in.

7. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: ugh that sucks hey? You just have to listen to your body. So I guess I’ll just see how I feel. Last time I had more trouble working at higher intensity fairly early on so that was what made me slow down.

8. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@yogifish: I'm interested to see how this goes because I was in amazing shape my last pregnancy (exercising 2x a day through most of my first trimester; biking to work every day; running on weekends) and now I'm just....not. I work out like, 3x a week. So I'm curious whether I'll have to slow down sooner just because I'm not in as good shape. I hope I'm at least able to bike commute for as long as I was able to last time, but my route is really hilly now so I'm not sure.

9. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

Nausea is knocking me out this morning. Thankfully my son is at daycare today and I work from home, but I need to be productive. I'm brewing some peppermint tea now and ordering ginger pops, but any other tips? I can't remember what worked last time!

10. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: it's so hard to know hey? I feel like pregnancy is a super legitimate excuse to just listen to your body and be like oh well I need to rest even though I am not normally like that at all.

I'm kind of the anomaly I think. Not sitting at a desk all day for my year off, breastfeeding, and honestly no time at all to just sit and watch TV and snack mindlessly plus hours upon hours of walking my baby in the stroller helped me lose like 50lbs. I've been back to work for about 14 months and have put on ~10lbs from where I was when I came back to work (I blame sitting all day and breastfeeding less...but still enjoying treats ).

I am really hoping I don't end up gaining it all back this pregnancy since I'm still starting 40lbs lighter. However, and this is probably super selfish, but I am sort of bummed that I will have to work really hard to get back to this weight again after baby. And I hear parents of two say it's much harder to carve out time to exercise sigh.

11. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@YogiRunner: those preggie pop drops plus lozenges are saving my life. I ordered them in bulk on Amazon and keep a pack at work and one on my nightstand. It really helps to take one as soon as I wake up in the morning. I also love the Stash lemon ginger tea.

I’m also taking unisom and B6 and it’s keeping me from puking.

12. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@yogifish: my goal was to not gain much/any weight this time but the nausea just sucks. I had to go back to work at 6 weeks so I never lost all the baby weight. I had GD with my first and I’d like to avoid it so I’m limiting snacks and trying to snack on healthy-ish options like cottage cheese and I’m not drinking any soda this time (I drank a lot of ginger ale last time) so I’m hoping that helps.

13. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: oh my goodness! I don't know how you amazing moms in the US do it without maternity leave. Hopefully you'll start feeling less nauseous soon. I do think though there is something to be said for your body just gaining what it needs to when pregnant.

Also to qualify, I started at 195lbs before pregnancy and was down to 145lbs after, so probably a bit different than someone who started out at a much healthier weight.

14. Kmomartin

grape / 87 posts

Excited to have some more ladies on the October board!

I’m still feeling like a bloated whale but I guess that’s better than feeling nothing? 🤣 I’ve also been so freaking thirsty that I’m like pounding water the entire day- so I suppose that doesn’t help haha.

15. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Kmomartin: the water is the best thing you can do for the bloating. Mine is rough by the end of the day - but at least it’s dress weather outside!

Spent several minutes dry heaving into my trash can this morning, then called to ask for a prescription for dicelgis. I know I can take more unisom but the half tab is making me so tired already and caffeine is making me sick.

Did I mention I’m having an aversion to chocolate? This is such a magical time.

16. Kmomartin

grape / 87 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: I just went outside for lunch and the weather is glorious in Baltimore! Finally!

I haven’t had any morning sickness (my mom didn’t when she wasn’t pregnant with me, does that help? Haha), but like I said, bloated like crazy.

Ooh- sorry about the chocolate thing. That sounds...awful.

17. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Kmomartin: my mother and my sister both didn’t have any MS! I’m very curious if this means it’s another girl but the internet is divided on that.

18. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

I guess I’m joining in.

EDD: 10/22/18

First child? No. It would be my 4th. 5th pregnancy though.

Any symptoms? Ehhh nausea here and there. Missed period. The usual

Who have you told? Literally took the test this morning and SO came and looked at it in a groggy state. Not sure he really got the message.

Current thoughts/feelings/fears? Well I wasn’t planning on getting pregnant this soon after having my rainbow. I’m mostly in shock and scared. I’ll have 4 with my oldest turning 6 in August.

19. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

Well had my first super weird pregnancy thing in the middle of the night last night. Woke up super thirsty and had to have orange juice with salt and vinegar chips. At 2am!

Was finally able to tell my husband last night when he came home from work travel. Put the 2 year old in a thing one shirt and wrapped up a thing two onesie and a digital preg test. He didn’t even notice what the 2 year old was wearing and then initially thought the tiny onesie was for our giant 2 year until he realized it said thing 2! He’s super excited but I think still somewhat in disbelief too.

20. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

The dicelgis isn’t helping as much as I’d hoped. I’m currently waiting for a grilled cheese sandwich and the weird natural food store near my office sells Ginger Beer which I started craving yesterday. I’m debating not taking the decelgis tonight and seeing whether it’s working or not, because I’m as sick as I was last pregnancy without it. I miss Zofran.

21. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@YogiRunner: I took ginger capsules- I think 1000mg /day, but it could have been 1500mg. I had to take them daily, but I found they did help alleviate my nausea last time.

I also recently got some of this https://www.urbanmoonshine.com/collections/digestive-bitters/products/calm-tummy-bitters

and it works really, really well. My nausea tends to hit in the early afternoon, and if I drink some of this with/right after lunch it makes a noticeable difference.

I should add- I rarely actually vomit during pregnancy- last time I just had this intense, hangover type nausea.

22. Kmomartin

grape / 87 posts

Ok friends- what’s the deal with cleaning products and being pregnant? Follow-up- what type of products do you use (if different from your prepregnancy cleaning routine)?

A friend of mine hired a cleaning lady while she was pregnant because she was super concerned about cleaning products. I don’t necessarily want to hire someone to come in and do it if I am perfectly capable- haha- I may change my mind at 8 months pregnant

23. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Kmomartin: I switeched to eco-friendly products while pregnant because I wanted non-toxic stuff in the house, but we also hired somebody and also I don't clean. But I think as long as your house is ventilated and you don't like, trap yourself in the bathroom with no doors or windows open, its fine.

24. Littlebear

coffee bean / 27 posts

@yogirunner thanks for the hospital info! Beth Israel will be my choice if here’s anything high risk with my pregnancy, otherwise I hope to deliver with the midwives at the Cambridge birth center. That cannoli day sounds amazing! I just had my first appointment today and it went smoothly though I am disappointed that they didn’t do an u/s. I had to schedule it for 1.5 weeks from now, which isn’t far away but I would really like to see it now!! Patience is not my strong suit.

25. Littlebear

coffee bean / 27 posts

October moms

10/3: flowercrown
    10/5: littlebear, yogirunner
    10/6: anbanan15
    10/12: ms.mermaid
    10/12: kmomartin
    10/20: silva
    10/22: alwayssunny722, littleblessings
    10/24: yogifish

26. Littlebear

coffee bean / 27 posts

@kmomartin I switched over to more eco-friendly products in general (except still use bleach products for the toilets and showers). I think the big thing to avoid is inhaling those strong chemicals like bleach. I use simple green for kitchen cleaning and vinegar solutions for general house cleaning. During pregnancy, I try to have my husband do the bathroom cleaning... though we’ll see how that goes

27. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Kmomartin: I just read a study that said women are more susceptible to lung damage from using bleach and ammonia than men are, so no bleach/ammonia anyway and your spouse should be doing the scrubbing.

28. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

I didn’t take my dicelgis yesterday bc I don’t know if it’s actually working and I wanted to see how I did without it but it turns out it’s really helping my sleep. I’m off to try to exercise since that can help with nausea.

Has anyone thought about nursery themes yet? (It’s how I distract myself from my nausea.) We painted our third bedroom light green when we moved in so I’m thinking a woodland/adventure theme with foxes and hedgehogs and owls. With my daughter we didn’t go too deep into the theme besides matching colors and making a mobile but it was still fun to plan. This time, I’m not working around artwork that is already in the room so I get more freedom.

29. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: I’m in a huge debate for nursery stuff. I have 3 other kids. 5yo girl, 4yo boy and a 10 month old girl. I’m debating on bunking the older two in a room and making the other a nursery or keeping the sexes separate and hope that I’m having a boy. Lol.

30. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@littleblessings: How many rooms do you have and are you finding out the sex of this baby?

31. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

Is anyone else having massive salt cravings? I think I remember this from my last pregnancy but all I want to eat is salty everything.

32. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: we have 3 bedrooms. I don’t want to find out the sex but SO will probably fight me on that.

33. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@yogifish: If by salt cravings you mean cheese cravings, yes. If it is toasted and covered in cheese, I can eat it. Otherwise, GTFO.

I did go to acupuncture for my nausea today. Can't tell if it helped or not but I did just summon the energy to bake all the fruit I don't want to eat into a pie. Pretty excited about the pie.

34. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@littleblessings: I firmly believe that the person who cares more about finding out/not finding out should be the one that wins. My husband cared a lot about our first being a surprise and I could have gone either way. This one, I feel more strongly about wanting to know, although I think we will probably still not find out. I imagine with 3 other kids there aren't a lot of decisions you would make based on the sex of the baby, so it's really only helpful for culling hand-me-downs. You could let him find out and do all the culling for you, but not find out yourself. (My coworker did this and actually was able to keep it from his wife. I also got a sneak peak at an ultrasound so was pretty sure our first was a girl, but my husband didn't want to know when I asked him if he wanted to know my guess and so I didn't share it with him.)

35. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: haha yes so far mine seems to be vinegary stuff like pickles and olives and salad dressing. If those aren’t available I will take anything else salty.

36. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: @littleblessings: we found out the first time and probably will again. I just can’t wait for a surprise but I’m a A type planner so just want to know because I can!

37. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: @yogifish: I’m thinking about letting SO find out if he wants but he would have to NOT tell me or anybody else.

38. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@yogifish: @littleblessings: @Ms.Mermaid:

we didn't find out the sex with my first pregnancy (girl), and that was the plan the second time (boy).
    However, we had to do an ultrasound with maternal-fetal medicine because my OB was concerned about something- everything was fine, but when they linked the report to my online health account it listed the sex of the baby. It kind of happened in a weird way, so that it could have maybe been an error (it was printed twice, once it said "not reported" and the second time it said "male.")

I really preferred not knowing. But, I think we might find out this time. My daughter had a very difficult time adjusting to her new sibling- and while she is obviously older, and more accustomed to things not going exactly her way, I think that learning the sex of the baby earlier on might really help make it a little more concrete for her and hopefully help her prepare (she is a sensitive and somewhat anxious kid).

39. Littlebear

coffee bean / 27 posts

@yogifish yes! Salt is my jam right now. Salty eggs, potato chips, olives, bread with butter and salt- it’s so delicious right now and seems to calm my nausea a bit.

@silva @littleblessings @ms.mermaid we found out the sex for both our first and second (though kept the sex a secret from everyone else the first time). This time I am leaning towards a surprise. Given that this will be my last pregnancy, it would be special to have that surprise “it’s a ...” moment at the end. However I have a hard time coming up with boy names and it would be helpful to know how hard we need to try to come up with a good one. I’m not sure if my husband has a strong preference this time or not.

Does anyone already have names picked out? I have found that some of my favorites from last time just aren’t working for me this time. I also still love a girl name (Sofia) that has been really popular recently and can’t make up my mind on whether or not that should matter. On one hand, if you love a name then who cares if other people also do. On the other hand, I don’t necessarily want my kid to be one of four sofias in the same class. What do you all think about choosing a popular name?

40. Mrs.Someone

pomelo / 5228 posts

This comment has been deleted by the original poster.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee