Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Oh nice! I wonder when we're getting our supply list and stuff.

2. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Took Isaac to the dentist this week and he has three cavities! We have been referred to a Pediatric dentist for a consult and for fillings. He hates the dentist so this should be interesting.

3. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: You are not alone! Pete had two cavities at his recent trip to the dentist. Luckily, they were small and the dentist was able to use a new-ish treatment called SDF, instead of traditional fillings. It was very simple, quick, and painless! Definitely ask your dentist about it!

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/health/silver-diamine-fluoride-dentist-cavities.html

4. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: good to know, thank you. I'll have to ask about it.

5. Adira

@ALV91711: Oh no!!! Cavities in kids seem to be on the rise these days! Sorry you are dealing with this.

6. Adira

I know I'm probably the last person in this group to do this, but just ordered Xander a twin-sized bed!!

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Thatbis awesome. Are you doing mattress on the floor or a frame?

DH was just talking the other night how he wishes he picked something else for Isaac's bed instead of the jeep. Probably because he's going to have to move it in a couple weeks when we switch him rooms.

8. Adira

@ALV91711: I just ordered a pretty simple frame for him. A slat bed that won't require us to use a box spring.

9. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: that sounds perfect.

10. Adira

@ALV91711: I hope so!

11. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

We went for Isaac's consult at the dentist the other morning. It went ok. They weren't able to get an X-ray to see everything that is going in. They probably would have if I could have been closer to him. He has two major cavities in his back bottom molars which will have to be capped. The rest of his molars need to be sealed if not capped depending what they see when they get an X-ray. To do the work they want to put him out. They did mention SDF for his smaller cavity as an option. First we will get the caps and X-ray done and go from there.

12. Adira

@ALV91711: Ugh, that sucks. Hopefully it all goes well.

13. Adira

I've probably asked this already, but has anyone started their LO on an allowance? I was planning on starting to give Xander one soon, but curious what other people are doing!

14. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: No. But we have talked about it. Probably need to since she needs to learn how much things cost. And stop asking for everything she sees.

We start K on 8/6. Eck!

15. Adira

@Smurfette: OMG, that's so soon!!!! Is she excited?? Nervous?? We don't start until 9/5.

16. Smurfette

@Adira: Super excited. But I know she is going to be really nervous at the open house on the 3rd and then the first day. She is so shy.

17. Adira

@Smurfette: You'll have to let us know how it goes and then give us all your tips!!

18. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: DH made mention of an allowance last night. We have to talk about it but I think something small is good to teach them about money. A couple weeks ago I took Isaac and opened a bank account but he really has no idea about the cost of things yet.

@Smurfette: That is so soon! Hope it goes well and she has fun. We don't start until after labour day. I was just thinking today I'm going to have to come up with some ideas for easy/healthy snacks to send.

19. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, Xander also definitely doesn't understand the cost of things either! I want to teach him how to save money to save up for things he really wants. I saw a lot of suggestions saying to give them a ($1 x age) a week, but $5/week just seems crazy to me! I was thinking I'd halve it and do $2.50 a week to start.

20. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: We haven't yet but I just thought about it this morning that we should probably start soon. He seems to slowly grasp the concept of money and I think it will help. We'll start with 1€ a week, which is the amount recommended by the German CPS for children under the age of 6.

21. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

B will start Preschool/Kindergarten next week.. Wow time really does fly. The official start date is Aug 1st but they get to go by Monday. I think real school starts the Monday after when summer holidays are over. I think it won't be too bad for B as his whole preschool class is moving and while they are split in two and additional kids added it still means he knows about 50% of the kids of his class already. How big are the classes for you guys? It will be 20 kids in B's class.

22. Adira

@Pumuckl: I think 20 kids is about the class size for our Kindergarten classes too, though I won't know for sure how big Xander's class will be until closer to September, which is when they start.

I can't believe some of our kids are starting Kindergarten in August!!!!

23. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: I honestly have no idea how big the classes are. But I would guess about the same. We get a letter next week that tells us who the teacher is. I really hope we get a good one!

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: $5 seems like a lot. I was thinking more like $2 a week st this age.

@Pumuckl: Hope it goes good for him. It will definitely help that he knows some of the kids.

25. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, I agree! Especially if you think about increasing it by $1 every year!

26. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: yes! And really now it is more to learn about money, not like they need to buy anything. Are you going to tie allowance into chores?

27. Adira

@ALV91711: Exactly! Xander is big into collecting Hot Wheels sets, but if it takes him 5-10 weeks before he can afford one, I think that's actually a good thing!

I'm not going to tie it into chores. I know a lot of people do that, but I'm trying to teach that contributing to the house is what you do as a family and you don't get paid for doing it. The allowance to me is really just to teach about managing money, so I want to keep them separate.

28. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I totally agree that you help around the house because you are a part of the family. Isaac doesn't have set chores per say but he helps with what we ask. He has even been asking to do the dishes! I wish that would last forever.

I think a couple bucks a week to learn how to manage money and save for something you want is good. I took Isaac a couple weeks ago and we opened him up a bank account. He has just over $200 in his piggy bank. I think if we give him an allowance I want a small part of it that he has to save for the bank and the rest he can save for something he wants to buy.

29. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, I think that makes sense! I remember having a passport bank account when I was a kid. It was fun!

30. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: opening his account made me realize that he had no concept of money.

We moved Isaac to his new big brother room last week. He loves it and has spent lots of time in there playing on his own which has been nice.

31. Adira

@ALV91711: That's awesome!

32. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: @Pumuckl: How has the start of kindergarten been?

33. Smurfette

@ALV91711: She LOVES it!! The bus is her favorite part of course. She is mad she can't ride the bus home with her friend. I think it helped a lot that her friend is in her class. After school has been a little harder adjustment but she finally got the courage to ask where the bathroom was. She was holding it for a couple days.

Advice:
    Tell your LO it is ok to ask for a bathroom break. Don't be shy.
    We met her at school (she took the bus) on the first day which was good cause they both forgot how to get to the classroom. Then the next day her friend's Mom met them and helped them and taught them things to remember to find it. Like right at the computer, left at the water fountain. She went again yesterday but she said that they didn't need her help.
    If they are bringing their lunch, pack a lot. She eats at 10:30 but there is no morning snack so she is hungry! Then no snack till after school at 2:45 and then another one at 5.

34. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: Same as @Smurfette: he absolutely LOVED it. He even prepares his breakfast and afternoon snack boxes himself. School provides lunch. It was kind of funny. We told him he would have to bring those two meals and for him it was totally clear that he has going to take care of it. I was so surprised but figured it’s a good thing so we let him do it.

35. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: That is good that she loves it. What types of food are you sending for lunches? We will only have to send a snack since he will only be there 3 hours. I need to come up with some good ideas.

@Pumuckl: Glad he is living it. And how awesome is it that he is packing his own meals!

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: B usually makes himself a sandwhich and some fruit. Sometimes he'll take one of these small yoghurts (Actimel they are called here not sure whether you have those in N. America). We pack it in a box and the box goes in a little cooler.

37. Smurfette

@ALV91711: She wants a sandwich every day. Then I do some kind of fruit and then chips or gummies. She did tell me yesterday she wants me to get a thermos and send chicken nuggets one day.

38. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: That is so awesome that he does that.

@Smurfette: a thermos is a good idea.

I'm glad that all I have to do is send a snack for kindergarten.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Last day of work today! So crazy. I was supposed to work another week but my dr decided otherwise. He wants me to rest. Isaac still has one week of daycare then he will be home with me and off to kindergarten.

40. Adira

@Smurfette: @Pumuckl: How's Kindergarten going?? Xander starts next week and I'm so anxious!! The lack of communication is KILLING me. There's apparently a thing happening today to find out what teacher you have, but the only reason I even know about it is because I joined the school's PTO Facebook group. There's been no official communication about this AT ALL. And we've so far received NOTHING from the school. I hate this.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee