Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

@SunshineMcC: I ended up getting this pillow: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDG2W5G/ . A lot of the reviews for the fiberfill ones complained about them going flat or lumpy over time and that's a big pet peeve of mine for any kind of synthetic pillow. So far, I really like it.

I looked in to Gwynnie Bee a little further, and, if my problem was too-tight shirts, that month long trial would have been great for transitioning into maternity clothes. However, my problem is pants. Gwynnie Bee only seems to carry about 10 pants in sizes 12 or 14. And 3/4 of them are really not to my taste. Ok, actually they're hideous. So, I guess I'm going to just have awkward and somewhat uncomfortably fitting pants for a bit.

@Banana330: I'm worried about a coat too. I also commute on public transit with a mile+ walk at the start and end of my commute. I live in DC; before last winter, I would've said I'd be fine with sweaters and leaving things partly unbuttoned. But then last winter we had several long stretches of single digit temperatures. If that kind of extreme weather happens again, leaving my coat unbuttoned is not going to cut it. I've been eyeing this coat: http://www.amazon.com/Momo-Maternity-Daphne-Double-Breasted/ and a few other ones by the same maker. Right now I'm thinking I'll plan to do without, but if the weather is brutal again, I can order one with 2 day shipping.

@marionberry: Love your announcement picture!

2. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@lilyofthewest: Interesting... I never heard of that brand...

I was initially thinking of something like this but it depends if my coat still kinda fits or not. .
    http://www.kokoala.ca/index.php/extension-kokoala.html

3. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@marionberry: "all about avoiding tearing"....uh, yeah. My c-section recovery was sooo easy. I can't imagine how labor could be easier.

4. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

@Banana330: Oooh, that's neat! My day-to-day winter coat buttons, but, my outdoorsy adventure one zips. Might be worth considering if we have seriously cold weather again since I usually ditch the wool button-up for the ski parka then anyway.

5. loki

pear / 1787 posts

i'm stressed about a winter coat too! i want one of those old navy frost free puffy coats but in maternity. i wonder if that exists. they're great cuz they're cheap but super warm. it would kill me to buy an expensive winter coat for like 2 months. i feel like being super pregnant in the middle of winter is much harder than summer because you actually need to purchase so much stuff. if i have a second i will try to plan it so it's also due in spring so i can get double use out of everything i buy haha.

so even though i doubled my prescription and i was feeling much better yesterday... this morning i threw up for like 10 mins. wtf is going on?! feeling pretty awful again today. i'm sad because it's my birthday this week so my husband is supposed to take me out for dins tomorrow and my parents are coming friday to take me out... but all the restaurants i'd normally wanna eat at are doing NOTHING for me... all i want is cheese & crackers haha!

6. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: I'm sorry you don't feel well. I want you to enjoy your birthday!

@lilyofthewest: I think here the issue will be rain more than cold. I think I might get a bigger size North Face or see if I can just steal DH's when I get huge. It does suck to have to buy things like coats for a temporary period.

7. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@lilyofthewest: thanks for the details! I may have to try this!

@loki: I always envisioned being super pregnant in the summer so I could wear flip flops and cute flowy dresses, not leggings and a big coat! I have a down ski jacket that has zips and snaps, so I may be ok with that one this winter, we'll see . Here's hoping it's not as terribly cold this winter as it was last . Happy birthday week! Hopefully you get a reprieve from sickness and can enjoy dinner out!

@NeekieRose: @Marionberry: that tearing post gave me goosebumps, and not in a good way !!!

8. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@SunshineMcC: Ya sorry!!! Easy for us to say since we had c-sections lol.

9. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

This weather is crazy today... Anyone else having huge swings in temp? Yesterday was 80 and it's 47 out now!

Today is 13 weeks, into the second tri! I told DH I want to celebrate. It's amazing to think I'm 1/3 through this pregnancy already. In some respects, it's taken forever to get here but in others it seems quick!

I'm going to visit my sister and nephews this weekend and am going to tell my nephews in person about the baby. They're 9 & 4, and I can't wait to see their reactions. Any ideas for cute ways to tell little ones that aren't siblings of the baby to be?

10. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@marionberry: I feel like labor is something that hadn't even crossed my mind yet! DH & I were looking at something online about the birthing process and he looked horrified at a photo of an epidural, let alone labor itself. Is a c section ever a choice for first time, or only an option if something isn't going according to plan or taking too long?

11. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@SunshineMcC: haha i was watching america's funniest home videos the other day and a mom wrapped up a doll baby and gave it to her two sons. their reactions were HILARIOUS. they were SO disappointed it was a doll and did not care she was having another baby. the little one was like "IT'S NOT STAR WARS". probably not helpful but it was the first thing i thought of!
    and you're right, i always imagined dresses and great summer stuff. pretty maxis would be so cute. two of my close friends had september babies so i can't even borrow any of their maternity stuff! wah!

@marionberry: is it bad that i WANT a c section?! haha.

12. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@SunshineMcC: uhh, we are prone to crazy weather here but not that crazy! Holy crap! & I do believe some first time mom's opt for a c-section sometimes. I would talk to your doctor.

I know I am in the minority here but I had a vaginal delivery the first time & didn't have any recovery pain whatsoever. I had an episiotomy & still had little to no pain at all. Most of my recovery pain was from my uterus contracting back down to size which I would experience regardless. Maybe my experience can help mildly ease some fears. (Heck, I'm still afraid for the second one, so I'm sure it's only of little comfort! lol)

13. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@loki: ha, that's hilarious!

14. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: thanks for sharing! I like the idea of a vaginal delivery, if possible but who know what will happen. One of my close friends had an episiotomy and had an awful recovery, so I'm glad to hear your experience was different!

15. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: i have a friend who had 3rd degree tears but is having a great recovery and says she feels nothing now. and i saw her about 2 weeks post partum. with her first she had slight tearing but it never healed and she had to get cauterized a bunch and go for physio. so you really just never know which way it'll go! i'm sure lots of people have horrible c section recoveries too. i don't know why the thought of a c section appeals to me so much haha. i was a c section baby, maybe that's why! haha.

16. Mrs. Sunshine

@SunshineMcC: @loki: recovery was the part I was most worried about last time & this time! Either way it's an open sore in a sensitive area & that's pretty nerve wracking!

17. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: @loki: the joys never end!!!

18. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: They do have them on the US old navy site..
    http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=50200

be warned.. you can't get the extra discounts then they charge you an arm and a leg for shipping and duty and taxes. Still cheaper than other coats.. a plus they are on sale right now.

@Mrs. Sunshine: That's good to hear! I'm a bit worried about birth.. actually that's always been my biggest fear about pregancy - labour & Delivery! So much so I just pretend it's not going to happen...

19. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: i actually looked after my post! but good to know about the shipping and stuff. i considered putting together a cart and going through the process to see what they'd charge. sometimes i buy stuff from US sites and ship it to a brokerage and drive down to pick it up. it makes it worthwhile for certain items to avoid the shipping/duty. i don't LOVE any of those, i want it in a fun colour haha. the price is good though! i just feel like i won't even need it until at the earliest january so is it crazy to buy stuff now? i love all the sweater dresses and long sleeve shirts though!

20. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: awww look at your little baby! So sweet!!
    @loki: oh man I didn't even think about. Winter cost til you girls mentioned it. Crap. I was hugely pregnant in summer last time with an August baby so lots of my mat clothes are out of season Happy birthday and Sorry you're feeling shitty. I'm right there with you. This is the worst morning for me yet. It's one of those "sitting on the toilet barfing into the garbage can" kind of day.
    @SunshineMcC: congrats on getting to second trimester! Don't worry too much about labour, they're all different. I had a great experience and only a small tear. My recovery was a piece of cake (except for the 'roids). Looking back I couldn't have asked for a better L&D though.
    @Mrs. Sunshine: another good labour and delivery story! Someone told me the uterus contractions are worse the second time around. I'm not looking forward to that.

I have my first doctor's appointment this afternoon. There won't be an ultrasound or anything, it's just a prenatal visit. I'm hoping we can hear HB on the Doppler but I know at 10w it's hit and miss. I don't even know if my doc will try. I feel like crap so I can only hope everything is continuing to go well, I have two weeks until the NT scan. We are going to announce at our Thanksgiving next weekend to family though. I found out my brother and SIL are due the exact same day as we are! So crazy and we are super excited to announce together to our parents.

21. Mrs. Sunshine

@delight: we got the hb on the doppler yesterday at 10 weeks 5 days....I hope you will get to hear it. I hope you feel better soon!

22. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: I'm just worried I'll freak out if I don't hear it. I know it's hard to get it at this stage.

23. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@delight: awww sorry you're feeling so rough! i can't even imagine what your second time moms are going through because i COULD NOT do this with a toddler running around. it must be so awful. good luck at your appt today. my dr couldn't find the heartbeat on the doppler at 9weeks and it stressed me out soooo much i teared up. i don't even know why she checked so early! so don't worry if you don't hear anything... your sickness is a pretty good indication, i hear. hopefully you do get to though! and announcing will be so fun... i really wanted to try to wait until thanksgiving but i'm horrible at secrets so now i'm just so excited to see everyone for the first time since we spread the news!

24. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@delight: My midwife is unsure she'll even try with the doppler at 13w in case she can't find it...

and how crazy is it that you're due the same day?

25. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

I've been offline for a few days and I've missed so much!

@marionberry: Love your announcement pic! So lovely

@Mrs. Sunshine: such a cute little baby in there!

@delight: my OB tried to use a doppler at my 11 week visit and could only pick up my heartbeat, not the baby's. I was a bit freaked out but then she did an ultrasound right away and the little baby was bouncing around with a heart rate of about 155... so please don't worry if you don't hear it.

Ladies, I have also been thinking about labor and pp recovery. Actually like @Mrs. Sunshine, I am also probably more scared of the recovery than the actual labor. My OB said that she wants me to try and push, provided everything goes to plan and I think I am ok with that. I will have extra monitoring for my heart and there will probably be people from the cardiac team in the room.

For some reason I think DH wanted me to have a c-section (maybe labor freaks him out.. but I think he also assumed that I would need to because of my heart) but he is slowly coming round to the idea of me laboring, since the OB suggested it.

26. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: @Marionberry: what brand/model of fetal doppler do you have? @Marionberry - you shared this once, but I can't find it! I looked at one online at Buy Buy Baby, but the reviews were terrible and most people said they couldn't hear anything until the 3rd trimester. I'd like to get one, but one with good reviews and some success early on.

27. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@loki: I'm so torn between wanting her to try and just forgetting about it until next appointment! It is hard going through this with a toddler but she's at daycare and she's a really good baby and my DH helps a lot. She's not walking yet either so I don't have to chase her too much

@Banana330: I have heard lots of people don't try til after 13 weeks. I didn't hear it the first time until my 14 week appointment but I was with a different doctor. And yes it's so crazy my brother and I have the same due date. Our mom is going to lose her mind. Our first kids are just 8 weeks apart so this is Awesome!

28. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@lulu22: so glad they're taking extra precautions about your heart. that's gotta make you feel good. i'm mostly just trying not to think about labour & delivery yet because we have so much we still need to overcome before that point. crossing bridges when i come to them and all that.... it all does seem a bit scary when you think about the details but i keep telling myself that people do it ALL the time and keep doing it so it really can't be all that bad

29. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@loki: yes! people do it ALL the time and have been forever and at the end of the day we will have our babies in our arms and that's really the best thing to think about, right?!

30. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@lulu22: exactly. i'm kind of like whatever gets the baby here safe and healthy is good with me!

31. Jenn23

persimmon / 1085 posts

I just can't keep up with this thread, because I've been so busy. We listed our townhome for sale Friday and already had four showings in the last two days. I sprained my ankle and I'm now in a brace and can't take advil so I'm in lots of pain. It's been a rough few days. The good news is my morning sickness subsided in the last two days. Just stopped! I'm a little worried, but I know sometimes it goes away this early so hopefully everything is fine!

Scheduled my NT scan for next Friday so I'm excited about that!!

Can't believe so many of you are out of the 1st trimester and I'm excited to be there in just another 1.5 weeks!

32. meredithNYC

pomegranate / 3314 posts

@Jenn23: I'm with you - I feel like such a commenting slacker. Maybe because it's my second and so I have fewer questions/concerns?

All is good here, aside from still feeling shitty. One day I forgot my afternoon Diclegis and immediately realized I should NOT make that mistake again. On the bright side, looking forward to NT scan next Thursday.

For those worried about labor: honestly, with my first the worry consumed me. So of course I had a relatively easy labor with an awful recovery. I should have worried more about postpartum, lol.

33. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Jenn23: oh congrats on selling your home. so sorry about your ankle. sounds life a busy/stressful time!

i only post a ton because i am at work with very little to do and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORED.

first time moms: through some HB searching I found Lucie's List... google it!... i had never heard of it before but I've been reading up on it all day and i find it SUPER helpful. I was feeling really overwhelmed about all the stuff i felt like we needed to start getting. i think this is a pretty comprehensive but bare bones list of the essentials. you might not need it but i am LOVING it right now.

34. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@SunshineMcC: It depends on your provider and your hospital. It's not recommended usually that you opt for a c-section. Most of the time you get one because a) your regular labor has not progressed and it's risking the baby or b) your baby is breech. A c-section is a big surgery and it also limits how many babies you can have as only 3 c-sections are ever suggested - each becomes more risky after the first. While I loved my c-section I actually wouldn't have opted for one if given the choice. Oh and my doppler is a sonoline.
    @loki: I used lucie's list to buy much of my gear and swear by it. She's great! And if you sign up for her emails you'll be set all year long.
    @lulu22: Thanks!

35. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Jenn23: I have mine tomorrow and I'm so excited too! Sorry you have had a very busy couple of weeks!

36. Mrs.Pinecone316

persimmon / 1316 posts

@ineebee: Glad your trying not to worry and still celebrating your babies! I feel like .1 mm is so subjective and anyone measuring could get a different result in the normal range! Hoping for the best.

@loki:I will have to check out Luci's list, thanks!!

@Jenn23: wow you have been busy!! Hope you get your place sold soon!

I am a little worried about my blood work coming up. Since I lost 1 twin I read a lot of time the blood work comes back + for genetic issues due to the twin you losts DNA still in your blood. Hoping my NT scan next week looks good to put my mind at ease if my blood work is abnormal..

37. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Mrs.Pinecone316: hm that is something i never would have thought of. at least if the blood work does come back with some abnormalities you know there may be a good reason for it. i hope everything goes well with the NT and the bloodwork though and you don't need to worry at all i am STILL perusing lucie's list and it. is. amazing.

@marionberry: i was avoiding it but you convinced me to sign up! have fun at your NT! mine's on saturday and i cannot wait!

38. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

@Jenn23: I feel like my nausea is dissipating as well. Terrifying and relieving all at the same time. I have been crying at the drop of a hat so there is that.

39. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

I've been absent lately, but still reading and trying to keep up!

Congrats to everyone who has had great appointments, and to those who know the sex!

My NT results came back and it all looks good! The nurse said my odds are better than the odds for my age, so that's good I suppose.

Tomorrow I'm 14 weeks and still getting sick. AGH. I am so ready to be past that. I am starting to show more and have started using a Be Band that I got from Target so that I can wear my clothes as long as possible.

40. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

Updating with my next appointment and my anatomy scan in November!

Next Appointment
    10/1 - marionberry (#2, twins) - NT Scan
    10/02 - Banana330 - NT Scan
    10/07 - Rockies11 - NT Scan
    10/09- Boopers
    10/22 - SunshineMcC
    10/30 – NeekieRose (#2) Anatomy Scan!!
    10/17- Delight (#2) - NT Scan, marionberry (#2, twins)
    11/03- Boopers (anatomy scan!)
    11/18 - SunshineMcC (AS)
    11/20 - As Time Goes By (AS)

Due Dates
    3/28 – Neekierose (#2)
    3/30 - Astro Bee
    4/1 – Boopers
    4/3 – As Time Goes By
    4/6 – Lulu22
    4/7 – Pawprints
    4/8 – Ineebee, Dancingbee, Brownie, anonysquire (#2)
    4/9 – SunshineMcC
    4/10 – Windswept
    4/11 – Marionberry (#2, TWINS), BCHossley
    4/12 – Loki
    4/15 – Mrs.Pinecone316
    4/16 – Banana330
    4/18 – MeredithNYC
    4/19 – Lilyofthewest
    4/21 – Rockies11 (#2)
    4/23- Mrs. Sunshine (#2)
    4/24 – Jenn23 (#2)
    4/30 – Delight (#2)