Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 Mamas

1. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@JamieLee: I did. I had the hubby take a video instead of a picture because I knew there would be a delayed reaction, but sadly, there wasn't a change in facial expression once they did realize it was true. haha. Fail!

2. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@JamieLee: I haven't had any nausea or m/s yet, but I am only 5w1d, so I am thinking it's still early. We will be flying over the holidays while I'm in the middle of my 6th week, and I am SO nervous about getting sick on the plane! I ordered some preggie pops last night to have on hand just in case.

My first appointment is 3 weeks from today (1/7)--I wish I didn't have to wait so long!

As far as telling families, we usually give my parents, DH's parents, and DH's sister a photo calendar for Christmas with a bunch of pictures from the previous year. This year I ordered them but for the month of August I put "Welcome Baby Ourlastname" as the picture--I think it turned out pretty cute!

Has anyone else had cramping that comes and goes? I had really bad dull cramping/stretching pains on and off on Friday during the day and really bad that night, but by Saturday morning they were gone and haven't returned since.

3. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@JamieLee: Yea, I think these are some of the first appointments. My expected due date is August 1, so I'm pretty far along as far as august babies go!

When is everyone's due date anyway?

@lawbee11: Your calendar sounds SO cute. I wish we did something like that for telling our parents and family. Such a good idea! I also did have some cramp from about 5 - 6 weeks.

4. lawbee11

@.twist.: I was charting my cycles with FF, so based on my O date, my due date is 8/18.

5. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@lawbee11: I have had some dull cramping in the mornings when I first wake up a few times, but it hasn't been bad. I also had some shooting pains in my pelvic region but from everything I've read, it's pretty normal.

@.twist.: I am calculating my due date based on my LMP and the length of my cycle and got August 17. But just using my LMP, it would be August 9. Waiting to see what my doctor says based on the ultrasound.

6. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@JamieLee: Ah yea, FF said I was August 9, but when I talked to my doctor she said August 1. So.... Have no idea! LOL. I went with what the doctor said because I like it better. hahaha

I'll find out on Wednesday for sure though.

7. Vegmama

pear / 1799 posts

Hi ladies. We just found out yesterday that we'll be joining you other August 2013 mamas. I haven't visited the midwife yet to get her opinion of my due date, but according to my tracker, it's August 20th.

Is this your first baby?: Yes!!

Any symptoms so far?: I tested last week (BFN), and re-tested this weekend because I was having AF like cramps (very unlikely for me to cramp before AF), and my nipples have been really sore. Other than that, nothing.

When & how did you find out?: After taking a cheapie over the weekend, with a very faint positive, I went to the store & bought a digital. My hubby was out xmas shopping (he wanted to be surprised), so I hurried to re-test ... I then did a happy dance.

What are you most excited for?: I'm so excited to experience pregnancy. I'm a birth photographer, so I've witnessed birth so many times, but I am excited to actually experience it! Hoping for a healthy baby.

What are you least excited for?: Honestly, I am so over-the-moon right now ... I can't think of anything!

8. lawbee11

@JamieLee: @.twist.: From what I have read it seems like calculating it based on LMP assumes you O'ed on CD 14. I think most doctors base it off of the LMP until they can do a proper dating scan.

9. Alivoo01

@lawbee11: That's such a cute announcement! I too have on and off cramping. Some days are worse than others.

@.twist.: According to online calculators, I'm due Aug 9th. I'll update should this change after our appt this Wednesday!

10. Vegmama

pear / 1799 posts

@lawbee11: Congrats on the baby!!! Just wanted to pop in ... I've had mild AF like cramps the last 4 or 5 days. They are less frequent now. From what I've found on the boards, it's pretty normal as long as there isn't bleeding. Good luck with your holiday travels!!

11. Alivoo01

@VEGMAMA: Welcome!!!

12. lawbee11

@VEGMAMA: Thanks! And welcome!! Glad our board is growing so much

13. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@VEGMAMA: welcome and congrats! How interesting that you're a birth photographer. I would love to hear more about your experiences doing that and how it's shaped your thoughts on the whole process.

@lawbee11: I also read that about CD 14. According to my OPK, I ovulated around CD 23. My cycles average around 33-36 days so I'm kind of a weirdo!

14. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@msmay: Ahhhhh!! That one is brilliant. I am totally going to borrow that idea.

@JamieLee: Hot flashes are exactly what it feels like. I thought that was a menopause thing?

@Alivoo01: How is that not creative? That's awesome! Although, boo that there was no change inexpression. Maybe they'd already guessed?

@VEGMAMA: Welcome and congrats again!

I'm due Aug 23, according to ovulation date. It will be two weeks earlier if they go by LMP, but that date would be wrong, so I hope they don't. And I phoned the dr this morning and my first appointment is this Thursday. I was really shocked 'cause I thought it was normal to wait until 8 weeks at least. Maybe she's trying to up her billing hours. I'm not complaining!

15. Vegmama

pear / 1799 posts

@JamieLee: It's such a beautiful experience each time, and it definitely sparked some baby fever. I'm in Oregon, which is known for being a bit granola, haha, so it's been amazing witnessing several natural births. I've had the chance to work with the midwives we're going to use more than 5 times, so that's a special treat (seeing how they really work). I think it's also made me realize that no matter how you prepare, it's important to be open to & accepting of changes. I'd say I feel more prepared, but I'm not sure that's possible!!

16. Alivoo01

@JamieLee: I have long cycles (34 days) and ovulate between CD 21-23 also so I'm sure my due date will change. Should be interesting to see what the doctor says!

@Grace: Yay for early OB appts!!!

17. Vegmama

pear / 1799 posts

@Grace: So exciting!! Hooray for that early appointment!

18. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@Grace: that early appointment is awesome!

19. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@JamieLee: no appointment yet, I need to call today but I'm at work and left my cell phone at home. Fail.

@.twist.: DH and I pretty much know when we conceived so EDD is August 25. I was charting so I'll be enraged if they try to go by LMP- it would be a whole week off!

@VEGMAMA: Hey lady! Welcome!

@Grace: Oh wow, that is an early appointment! Jealous!

20. Vegmama

pear / 1799 posts

@msmay: Thank you!!

21. lawbee11

@augustmama: @msmay: Welcome!! Sorry I forgot to welcome y'all earlier!

Is everyone planning to find out the gender? If so, do you have a preference? DH has 3 kids from a previous marriage--2 girls and a boy, so I don't think he cares one way or another since he already has both. I am kinda leaning towards wanting a girl because the clothes are just so cute, but I also love the idea of having a little boy. I'm torn!

ETA: Oh and we're definitely finding out the gender! I can't even watch an entire season of the Bachelor without checking Reality Steve so there's no way I can go 9 months without finding out with this little baby is!

22. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@lawbee11: Thanks, and TEAM GREEN! I want to be shocked! I also don't want family pushing any gender stereotypes on baby before he/she is even born.

Preference? I honestly don't mind either way. Ideally I'd like to have both someday so it doesn't matter much to me which comes first!

Is anyone else having a hard time keeping this a secret? DH is superstitious and doesn't want any family or friends to know (except, y'all- I demanded to post on HB) until 8 weeks and 12 weeks respectively. I've only known a few days and it is so hard!!!!!!!

(And thanks everyone for the welcome!!!!)

23. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@lawbee11: I'm definitely finding out. I cannot handle suspense, so I need to know! I don't care either way, but my husband is convinced it's a boy. He claims that in his family, almost everyone has boys first. He would be happy either way, but he thinks he knows...

24. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@JamieLee: haha, DH says the same thing. He's sure it's a boy. Impossible to know, but there's no telling him anything else, lol.

25. augustmama

coffee bean / 30 posts

@msmay Yes!! It is so hard keeping it a secret, but I am very superstitious too so that's what's helping me not spill the beans. With the holidays coming up, we couldn't help but use the opportunity to tell our immediate family though. Everyone else will wait until mid-February, when we're done with the 1st trimester.

We made customized onesies using transfer paper that say "I love Grandma and Grandpa" or "I love my Aunt ___," etc, and will have them under the tree as Christmas gifts to announce the news. We made them in our native language, since DH and I have different first languages. So easy/cheap to make, and I got all the supplies at Target! Excited for my family to open them up!

26. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@VEGMAMA: Hey! Welcome and congrats!!!!

@lawbee11: I am definitely planning on finding out the gender. DH has two boys from a previous relationship, and as much as I love them, they are totally a handful. Not to mention I'd be in a house with them, my DH and a possible son.... I'm REALLY hoping it's a girl. DH is convinced he doesn't "make" girls, so we'll see! hahaha.

27. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@msmay: oh gosh, I've had the HARDEST time keeping it a secret. Right now all of our closest friends and family know. However, I've come to the conclusion that if I had a miscarriage, I would tell them anyway, so if I'm comfortable telling them I had a miscarriage, why wouldn't I tell them about the actual pregnancy? So, I'm justifying my big mouth!

28. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

Team Green for sure (although DH would like to know). I'm excited for the surprise and the surprise of telling everyone. I think if I knew, I'd let the cat out of the bag.

The only person that I REALLY want to tell is my mom, because I have soooooo many questions. But I don't want to tell family yet. They will be so excited and I don't think I could deal with their disapointment if the baby doesn't stick. Although, my gut tells me that the baby is going to stick so that messes with my resolve.

29. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@.twist.: I tried to use that logic with DH but it doesn't matter, lol. Ah, well. Probably for the best. I'm nervous enough as is.

@Grace: so glad I'm not alone on Team Green! I feel confident about it now but I'm worried once everyone else starts finding out the gender, I'll waver. Hopefully we can keep each other strong

Have y'all picked up any books yet? If so, which ones? I bought WTEWYE (I kind of felt obligated for some reason) and From the Hips, which I find a lot more friendly and less intimidating!

30. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@msmay: Haha! For sure!

I bought the Mayo Clinic book (I wanted something more clinical than a lot of what's out there) and DH got Dad's Guide to Pregancy for Dummies, which is actually a pretty good and funny read.

31. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@msmay: I wasn't interested in WTEWYE, only because I have heard all the info in there can pretty much be found online or in other books. I also heard that all the same info is in the books the doctor gave us (or at least, my doc gave me a big book). So I wasn't interested. However, I am totally curious about what you think of From the Hips, I read a few reviews and it made me waver a little when deciding to buy it! So, other than the book the doc gave me, I haven't bought anything because I'm just not sure the info is anything new from what I've already read online!

32. lawbee11

@msmay: I have been reading "Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?" It's not a clinical book, but it has been an interesting and fun read so far!

33. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@Grace: DH has Dude, You're Going to Be a Dad! It's supposed to be a somewhat humorous take as well. Let me know how your husband likes Dad's Guide to Pregancy for Dummies!

@.twist.: so far I like it! Keep in mind I haven't read a ton of it (partly because I'm still a little nervous and don't want to get too far ahead of myself). I don't think I would have purchased it as the ONLY book I would read during pregnancy, though. I need as much information as I can get and I just would feel too limited reading it exclusively. I'll keep reading and keep you posted!

@lawbee11: I hope the answer is "yes!!!" (I looooove chocolate, haha) I haven't heard of this one, I'm googling now!

34. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@augustmama: oh, that's a great idea! We wanted to give something to my niece because this will be her first cousin, but they don't make anything for cousins. I might have to head to Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics and see what I can find.

@.twist.: that's how I look at it. I figure anyone I would tell about a miscarraige, I can spill the beans to. It's really important to have support after a m/c, so if it happened again, I would want some certain people in my corner. My husband is just worried about disappointing people again.

I bought WTEWYE and Eating Well While You're Expecting duringy last pregnancy and didnt want to deal with having to return them after we had the m/c. I haven't started reading them yet, but will soon. I wanted to buy a couple more books. I know a lot of people who loved The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, and I want to get a pregnancy journal. Does anyone have one?

35. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@JamieLee: I didn't specifically buy a pregnacy journal, but I bought a datebook and I'm puttin symptoms and baby-relates stuff in there.

36. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

Scheduled my appointment today! January 8th! They got me in a little early due to some schedule conflicts, but I'm so happy! I'd rather earlier than later

@JamieLee: I don't have a pregnancy journal but I'm thinking about it. I know myself well enough to know that I won't write every day but there are things I'd like to remember so I'll probably pick one up in the next couple weeks.

37. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

You ladies NEED to get The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. Its hilarious, and so helpful. I also got What to Expect and The Mother of All Pregnancy Books at Goodwill for cheap, and they are a lot more fact-based (and a little scary). The Girlfriend's Guide is down-to-earth, and claims to tell you everything your doctor won't tell you. I love it so far.

38. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@redsmarties: When I was deciding between From the Hips and A Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy but I read several reviews online that stated the latter was "hostile" and "offensive" to moms who were seeking a natural birth. That kind of made me nervous so I passed on it. There were some great reviews about it as well, though, so I'm interested to hear how you continue find it as you read more- keep me posted!

39. Mrs.K

pea / 13 posts

Hi everyone! I'm excited to join you guys!!! I'm 7 weeks this week.

Name: Carrie

Is this your first baby? YES! Pregnant after infertility and our first round of IVF was a success.

Any symptoms so far? Exhaustion! Other than that, some mild cramping every now and then and some nausea that comes and goes. Nothing crazy.

When & how did you find out? I found out at 4 weeks, 1 day exactly when my doctor called me with my blood test results. Immediately after I still peed on a stick because I wanted to see what two lines looked like!

What are you most excited for? Everything! I am pretty overwhelmed right now; I feel so lucky to be pregnant. We've had a couple ultrasounds already and I can't wait to see this little one grow. We saw the heartbeat at the last one and it was so amazing.

What are you least excited for? I'm such a worrier and I'm so nervous. I just want everything to be okay!

@redsmarties: I really liked the Girlfriends book! I was naive and started reading it a LONG time ago when we first started TTC. I've been debating What to Expect...is it too much info? I don't want to scare myself.

40. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@Mrs.K: Hi Carrie! Welcome to the August 2013 Mamas board!!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee