Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@delight: Brooklyns skin was so dry at first that it was cracked and bleeding on her legs/ankles. They said only bathe every 3 days unless she has a big explosion. I was using the baby aveeno cream in the pump at first, then I got the intense baby aveeno in the tube. The stuff in the tube literally cleared it up in a day or two.

2. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsB2012: oh! I thought I wasn't supposed to put anything on her skin he for some reason. Her ankles and wrists are so bad. I'll go look for the intense aveeno stuff!

3. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

Question for you ladies re:feeding. Did your baby start to become a more efficient nurser after a little while? K is a week old today (what?!) and last night she only woke up twice, and nursed for about 10 minutes each time. In wondering if I need to be waking her up, or if she's just getting better at eating!

4. JennyG

clementine / 912 posts

@redsmarties: Yes!! I thought J wasn't getting enough to eat, but based on his weight gain, he's doing great. I read that they get better at it and do it much quicker. It said anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes on each side is ok. I also read to feel your boobs. If they're softer, she's emptying them. Is she still eating every 3 hours?

@delight: I thought the same thing about using lotion. J's skin was so dry I started using a little after baths. I agree with MrsB2012. The Aveeno cream in the tube s fabulous.

5. Mrs. Oatmeal

@JennyG: yes, boobs are definitely softer, and she's eating at least every three hours (usually 2 or so). Good to know that I'm not the only one who worried! Thanks!

6. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@delight: No one said to me to not put anything on the skin, who knows though. Like @JennyG, I only use it after her bath, and then more often if it's super dry. She's been fine with it, no rash. I cant remember the exact name of tge stuff in the tube, but it's baby aveeno and I think it's dark blue. I can look in the morning.

7. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsB2012: yeah if you can tell me the name that would be great! I just saw regular aveeno lotion today at store, nothing in a tube.

@redsmarties: wow you got some great sleep there! My babe nurses longer during the day but still wakes up every 2-3 hours over night. I try to get 15-20 mins out of her but she's so sleepy it's hard. They are supposed to get more efficient but is not sure at what stage. I'm just worried about milk supply so I try to nurse at least every 3 hours.

8. Mrs. Oatmeal

@delight: well, when I say only twice... That was twice between 11:30 and 6:00 haha. I guess every 2-3 hours is normal- I was just used to her cluster feeding! She feeds more frequently during the day, with a good cluster after dinner time. I am wondering about pumping though- when to start to build a stash?

9. skipper2010

kiwi / 597 posts

@delight: My baby's skin is super dry as well! Like you they told me not to use any lotion on his skin. I can't remember for how long though.

10. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

Charlie is starting to sleep longer at night too, sometimes it makes me worry. She doesn't get checked again until Monday.

@Redsmarties: I started pumping 2 days ago, I don't get much maybe an oz per side. I don't have any freezer bags though!! I also need to figure the best time to do it, currently I do it at 11pm after I'm ready for bed.

The scariest thing happened last night, Charlie nursed during dinner time and everything was normal, we set her in her swing when she was done and she napped. She woke up crying, normal, and I took her to change her diaper, soon as I set her on the changing table she projectile puked excorcist style. Scared the s**t out of me. She's not a spitty baby, so this was totally out of character. I watched her like a hawk afterwards and it didn't happen again. It must've been a gas bubble, but she was hysterical afterwards

11. Mrs. Oatmeal

@skipper2010: strange! I wasn't told anything about lotion! K is peeling so we've been using Aveeno baby stuff. @StbHisMrs: scary!! Hope that doesn't happen again! And 1 oz per side seems pretty good! I might start soon, gotta get freezer bags though.

12. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@redsmarties: Mine got better around 10 days, but the dr said I still need to wake her up after max 4 hours sleeping to eat at night, but now she usually wakes up on her own after 3.5 which is nice. I hated having to wake her.... she gets this terribly pissed off look on her face when I do it.

13. JessKas

pear / 1693 posts

@delight: A had super dry skin for a while (flaky on wrists and legs especially) and I rubbed her down with a little coconut oil. She LOVED the rub down and it took care of the dry skin immediately. Plus it has no chemicals and she smells like a cookie.

14. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@StbHisMrs: E has projectile vomited twice now, and it's so freaky to see! She also spits up after every meal ever since my milk came in :/. I asked the dr about it and he said it was fine as long as she was gaining weight.

Speaking of which, she's now up above her birth weight! Birth was 7 lbs 4 oz, she's now 7 lbs 13 oz at 2 weeks, and the doctor was very pleased by it. Unfortunately it took forever to be seen (we were in the exam room like 45 minutes?), and in that space she sucked down 3 oz of breast milk from a bottle and had three poopy diapers. I was afraid I'd run out of diapers by the time we were seen.

We were told we could use lotion on her peeling skin, so we've been using either aveeno or shea moisture baby (whichever bottle's closer).

15. Mrs. Oatmeal

@StrawberryBee: wahoo, go E! That's great weight gain! Three diapers in 45 minutes...impressive!

16. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@redsmarties: lol, thanks! Every time we heard another explosion in there we looked at each other and said, again? She WAS a bit backed up though.

17. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@StbHisMrs: That is scary!! DS had projectile vomit once and had one incident where he spat up literally the entire bottle he just consumed. It was crazy!!! It didn't phase him much, scared the holy bujeebuzz out of me and the hubby though!

18. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@StbHisMrs: when B was first born she'd sleep up to 5 hours at night. They told me to wake her every 3-4 until she got to birth weight. They said once she was back at birth weight she could sleep for the longer stretches. Is yours back at weight yet?

@delight: it's the aveeno baby soothing relief moisturizer. It's got dark blue writing on the bottle. Worked really well for us.

@JessKas: coconut oil is the best. I used it twice a day ( once in the shower and then before bed) while preggers and didn't get any stretch marks. I also use it to wash my face, it was the only thing I could use that didn't make me breakout while pregnant. That's a good idea to use it on babe.

Does anyone else's babe poop all.the.time? Seriously B poops like 8 times a day, pretty much after every feed plus some. She's 4 weeks tomorrow and I've gone through 2 boxes of newborn diapers (96 in each) plus half or more of a box of 88. It's crazy. I'm seriously considering going to cloth and having a company in town that picks up the dirty ones and washes them and then drops off clean ones. I cannot believe the amout of diapers we've gone through.

We're currently driving for our first road trip just going shopping and for lunch in another city just over 2 hours away. So far B is great, it's nice to get away for the day.

19. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@MrsB2012: At her 1 week appointment she was 4 oz from her birth weight, she'll be 2 weeks tomorrow. Her 2 week check is on Monday. It's so hard to wake her, she just falls back asleep with my boob in her mouth and doesn't eat!

20. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@StrawberryBee: @Alivoo01: So scary, I hope it doesn't happen to any of us again! Luckily she didn't do it again, I was scared to sleep last night.

21. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsB2012: Liv poops a lot too! Almost every feed! We found a good deal n diapers yesterday and stocked up. Only 8 cents a dipe which is pretty awesome. We bought 8 jumbo boxes! We were gonna do a diaper delivery service but decided to just search out deals on disposables.

@MrsB2012: thanks I'm gonna go try to find the lotion!

I had Liv weighed today and she is now 7,6. Her birth weight was 7,1 and she's only 8 days old! Piggy!

22. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@MrsB2012: OMG!!! Yes on the poop! I think we go through no less than 2 diapers per feeding! We even wait it out to make sure he's "done" and 5 minutes after a fresh diaper is put on - surprise mommy! I have more!! We too have already gone through to jumbo boxes plus 3-30 packages. I just ordered another box. Oi vey!

23. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@MrsB2012: we're two weeks and more than halfway through the second box of 96 diapers. Crazy! I need to try the newborn CDs on again and see if her legs fit better now that she's chunked up some.

I have to admit that I'll miss the blue wetness indicator line when we switch to CDs.

24. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

Have any of you mamas of boys had them circumcised? L was today and I'm feeling sad about it. I'm scared to change his diaper. I guess I just didn't think it would look the way it does.

25. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

We had G circumcised and it was hard because he was red and it looked like it hurt a lot. We just changed the gauze at every diaper change. Wiped around the area it took about six days for him to heal and he is fine. The first few days were hard though because it hurt my heart.

26. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

Oh my goodness ladies! I can't believe I finally made it to the other side! Weren't we just posting our first OB appointment dates yesterday?

Not gonna lie, a little part of me hated every one of you when you had your LO and mine was still being stubborn. (Okay, hate is a strong word, but I was immensely jealous and excited for you at the same time!) Mr. Hedgie even had to ban me from the Bee in the final days. (Though I didn't listen...) Now that our little Hoglet is here, it all seems like a haze.

I do have to ask though, how in the world did you guys poop the first time?!?! It has been 3 days and I am TERRIFIED! I had an episiotomy and these stitches suck! Sitting on the toilet to pee is painful enough. I can't bear the pressure of needing to have a BM. I cried and gave up. I have been taking softeners given to me at the hosp and took a bunch of fiber when I got home this afternoon. I even sent Mr. Hedgie to the store to get more softeners because this just isn't working. Tips?

27. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

@MrsB2012: She is only 2 days old so she doesn't poop a ton just yet. When she does though, Good God! It's as if she had been saving it up for weeks!!! She does fart like nobody's business. Seriously. The child doesn't burp, she farts. We can never tell if she needs a new diaper or just let one loose. I have never seen anyone this gassy in my life! I can only assume these will eventually be less gassy and more solid pretty soon and we will be right there with you with the million and 1 poppy diapers.

28. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@BabyMats: seriously. I have been crying all day.

29. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@.twist.: Being team green this was my biggest concern. I didn't want my son circumcised and DH did. We ended up with a girl so dodged a bullet there. I just knew I'd feel like you and be so upset. My BF had her son circumcised right away at the hospital and she said within a day or two it was looking better.

@Mrs Hedgehog: sorry about the poo situation. I was terrified of this. I was lucky enough that I was able to go At the hospital which calmed me down. For the last week I've been able to go every day fairly easily. I do find that the muscles down there are pretty shot so I can't really push or anything. So I wait until I have to go really bad if that makes sense. Don't leave it too long, 3 days is a long time, maybe you should go to pharmacy?
    I eat a bowl of raisin bran with all bran poured on top as soon as I am up or the day. I also eat yoghurt with bran thrown in theoughout the day. I had a banana last night and this morning was the first time I had difficulty going and had to pop a softener. Stay away from bananas! Good luck. I know lots of ladies here had trouble in this department too.

Oh and welcome to the other side

30. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Mrs Hedgehog: just keep taking softeners, they'll help. I took mine every day for probably 2 weeks. I used the Metamucil ones and they were good. Another trick is get your peri bottle ( I hope you took one from the hospital) and fill it with warm/hot water. Pour it down your back end as you try and go. The hot water will relax you ( a little.) that's how I got the first one done
    I burst out laughing at your little ones toots, B is exactly the same. She's so gassy and it's SO loud. It's so funny because you never think someone that small can produce such a loud forceful sound haha.

31. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@delight: thanks. That makes me feel a little better. I've actually asked DH to take care of all dipe changes for a couple days. I just can't deal with it. I don't think I would have done it, except that DH is and both my step kids are as well. DH wanted it done. I didn't think I'd be so upset, but I have had the worst day ever. And L is totally over it! Haha he's being his normal little self again.

32. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@Mrs Hedgehog: Charlie was like that for the first couple days, so stinky!!! Now it's a little poop with every.single.change.

33. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

Ok I promise I am going to be more active on this board! It's just hard typing on my iPad with one hand!

@redsmarties: I think the longest M has ever nursed is 20 minutes...she's usually done in about 10. I have an over active letdown, though, and my milk comes out really fast, so I think that has something to do with it. I just go by her cues and if she doesn't seem interested in the boob anymore I don't force it (I tried to force it once cause I was convinced there was no way she could be full and she gagged on my nipple and spit up all over me!).

@StbHisMrs: M projectile vomitted on me last weekend. It hasn't happened since, but it was scary! It didn't phase her at all, but I was freaking out and worried the rest of the day!

@.twist.: Sorry you're sad about the circ I cried when they pricked M's heel to take blood, so I can only imagine how you feel!

@Mrs Hedgehog: Going poop seriously terrified me. I didn't go until 4 days PP, but after the first time it got sooo much easier. I had an episiotomy, too. I took colace once or twice a day, but I think the thing that helped most was drinking caffeine. DH went and got me a latte from Starbucks and that finally did the trick!

Do any of your LOs fight the swaddle? M hates it so much, but if we don't swaddle her she's up every hour from hitting herself in the face. She cries while I put it on her (I have to use the velcro swaddleme blankets--she is a Houdini and gets out of everything else). She also usually grunts and moans for a few minutes once we put her down...I can tell she is trying to break free. I am really hoping she grows out of hating it so much!

34. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@lawbee11: yea, L fights it like crazy. He grunts and moans and sometimes cries, I usually end up staying in the room for a few minutes trying to keep a soothie in his mouth and he falls asleep after a few minutes! We actually ended up getting a woombie, which is amazing and he cannot break free from it (its impossible to.) I really love the woombie.

35. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@lawbee11: B is starting to fight the swaddle now. She loves her arms free. Sometimes I swaddle her with them out but she will wake up more often. I might start trying to wean her off if if she prefers not having it now. She was freaking out a few nights ago when I put it on so I left it off. She was up 6 times that night and she's never been up more than twice. It went right back on the next night haha. when I put it on last night she fussed but then was asleep 2 mins later and she slept awesome so I just left it.

36. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@.twist.: we had DS circumcised in the hospital. It was rather red and angry looking for a few days and then started to look a lot better. We probably used Vaseline on it for a week and its all healed up now.

37. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

I was telling my DH how I was talking to a lady in our complex who was saying I didn't look like I just had a baby ( it's been a month, I don't think I juust had a baby haha) and he was like, "yeah you look good, but you have a bit of a mom bum now" I was like.. a 'mom bum'? That's not good.. and he was like, it's not bad, it's "different, we should get you doing some squats" Not impressed. My husband is obsessed with cross fit, does it every day and is super into nutrition and doesn't mean it in a bad way.. but still... my post partum hormones didn't like that.

38. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@MrsB2012: yeah I complained about my tummy and my arms and my husband told me to start working out. I didn't appreciate it very much..

39. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@MrsB2012: I have a bit of a mom bum, too.

40. Mrs. Oatmeal

Blah- cluster feeding is wicked right now! K has been alternating boobs for the last two and a half hours straight. I know she's due for a good long (ok, 2 hour) sleep soon- but she won't get off my boobs! Come on, kiddo...time for bed please!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee