Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016- Gear, Registries, and Nurseries

1. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: We're reusing our Graco Lauren crib for baby 2. Best purchase ever!

2. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@agold: Totally stalking this board, but man, Anthro is now selling baby stuff? I've already pinned a bunch of it to my Baby Dos board on Pinterest. I don't have to buy a lot of big stuff, but this kid is getting the lemon towel and probably some of the floral sheets if it's a girl.

Back to lurking.

3. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@avivoca: Its both great and awful to learn that anthro is selling kids stuff now. But like you, I don't currently have to buy a lot of big stuff so I can justify a little more easily "splurging" on something like a sheet. Spending $40 for a sheet as opposed to like $20 is a justifiable splurge in my mind. I, too, love those floral sheets. But what would you do for a crib skirt????

4. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@agold: I made H's crib skirt and it would go with these sheets.

5. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@avivoca: You. Are. Amazing.

6. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: uh, I haven't actually bought a single thing yet except baby clothes, whoops. planning on doing all that stuff in the next few weeks. is your furniture already in place?! (and if so would you post a picture? )
    our nursery is tiny tiny tiny and I'm not sure if it'll fit a dresser/changing table yet, hopefully it will, but if not a changing table might have to go in our bedroom (as will the glider), in which case it'll be tiny and I'm going to get that peanut thing that @stratosphere: mentioned. you sound so organized!
    also was looking at blogs and found the crib that your babyletto crib was ripped off from, it's not the oeuf, it's the caravan crib. pretty, but not worth the extra $700... where is the eye-roll emoji.

7. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@avivoca: feel free to jump in whenever, we've already got a big range of due dates here .

@LCTBQE: Not sure what you're planning for your crib, but some places take forever to deliver. Like weeks to months. Unless you're going the ikea route like us, then you're fine.

8. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@LCTBQE: @pregnantbee: @avivoca: anthropologie is having 20% off everything online and in store this weekend. I'm pretty sure it includes the baby stuff.

@LCTBQE: thanks for telling me what my baby's crib is a ripoff of! I'm sure baby girl won't mind and will be happy with what I did with the money I saved by not purchasing the caravan crib and she won't care if her changing table falls apart at anytime in the future. Hopefully it makes it past the first day unlike the identical changing table that your friends got. I did love love love the caravan crib, though. I really like the toddler bed that the caravan and oeuf classic turn into. Not hot on traditional crib toddler bed options. But I'm praying I'll get another baby quickly before I need to use the babyletto toddler bed option for baby girl #1. And no, nothing is set up in the room yet except the glider. I'm slightly dying over the cheap ugly closet doors in baby girls room. I just don't know if I want to spend $400 or $500 to get better looking cheap closet doors to replace what's already there. crib and changer were back ordered. It was actually hard to find since apparently ripoffs are popular! I hope to get it at the end of this month but also don't mind to wait until way later since I'm not ready!!

9. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: agh, sorry, I truly didn't mean to sound obnoxious! and the changing table you got isn't the same one that my friend got--she had the Hudson set. I'm sure yours will be great the caravan crib is gorgeous but it's really low to the ground and only has two mattress height settings, whereas the one you got has 4 and is a little taller. I'm pretty sure I'm getting one of the babyletto cribs, too--probably either yours, or the gelato crib. I've heard too many people say they regretted spending $$$$, (like what you said, @ShootingStar: --and thxx for the heads up about shipping times). the babyletto ones seem pretty cute and reasonable.
    anyway, you guys inspired me--last night I stayed up until 2 a.m. measuring and looking at stuff online, and I figured out how to fit a wardrobe AND dresser/changing table into our teensy nursery, then today I went to a local shop and bought our glider. they were having a sale for mother's day, and it was nice to buy it not from a chain it was expensive, but I anticipate it'll be with us for nursing/stories/husband naps for many years. here's the one we got, the Monte Como glider in the color Sand.

10. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@LCTBQE: Oh you are funny! Not obnoxious at all!! I love the glider you got. I think mine is a Monte. Totally more than I wanted to spend, but my mom bought it for me and I figure its a piece of furniture that we can have for many many years. Hopefully! Its great you got it on sale and I love that you bought it from a local shop. Good find!

11. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

I got all of my accessories displayed . I'm really loving this girl thing so far . (Some of these are little over the top/too much for everyday because they're for the photo shoot we're going to do.)

12. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

I'm having major glider envy!

We got a hand me down glider with baby #1. We didn't have a lot of money so we took what we could get (its a really nice one, old wooden frame though and dated floral fabric). But now after spending hours in it, I wish we had kinda invested in something!

13. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I'm so sorry you are having glider envy! I really hate having envy of any kind. Can you reupholster the wooden rocker that you have? Maybe some new fabric and cushy filling will make it like new! I actually really love a nice old, wooden rocker so I'm a little envious of what you have!

14. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@ShootingStar: That is adorable! I think your baby girl should wear that gold crown every day!! Is the gold crown for the photo shoot? Can you tell me what kind of photos you are planning?

And AFM - I ordered my crib bedding last night! Phew. What a load off. I can't believe I made it such a difficult decision and, in the end, went with something I liked from the beginning. Next up, nursery art. I think i may go for those little animal pictures.

15. T.H.O.U.

@agold: At the time we had priced it out and said it wasn't worth it. But that was as first time parents who didn't realize the importance of a glider! We will just live it and its just fine. Its got a good creak to it that baby girl is probably already used to hearing (I rock DS most nights).

16. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Yep, its so hard to know what to spend money on. Would you price it out again and see if it makes sense to do it this time around? Would you consider your rocker something you'd like to keep in the house for years to come? If its just for another year or so to rock this new baby, then I'd say its still not worth putting extra money into.

17. T.H.O.U.

@agold: Yea, we really dont think this will be something we keep long term which is why we have a hard time spending the money. And its hard because I look back to how much disposable income we had when we just had baby #1 and I want to laugh! Now on #3 money is for real tight!

18. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I'm laughing with you on that because I can absolutely imagine how tight money is going to be for me with my second (or third! ) child if I'm so lucky as to get either. Laughing in a delirious way, of course.

19. T.H.O.U.

@agold: Yea we were nervous about the $900/month infant care bill with baby #1. Now we are looking at about $1,600/month for the 3 kids! We've had a few promotions over the years but still!

We are lucky we still have a lot of the bigger stuff we need, or friends are done having kids and getting ready to pass stuff on. And really, baby #3 will play with spoons. I've kept a VERY small box of favorite baby toys and thats it (plastic ball rattles, stacking cups, foam blocks, etc). With baby #1 and even 2, they had a ton of toys and thats just not practical this time!

20. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I was just talking to my mom while I was driving into work about two of my friends who are both pregnant with their 4th child!! We were saying that hopefully those families have really all they need. Both girls are SAHMs. So maybe they need a bigger car, but otherwise they won't need much if anything. I just laughed out loud when you said baby #3 will play with spoons!! I'm hoping my child can get by on such minimal play toys. My house is too small for much more than spoons!! And yes, job promotions help, but child care bills. Yikes. I'm desperately hoping to avoid that. Although, I like preschool for 3 year olds and that gets pricey, too.

21. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: LOL, I don't think it'll stay on . Yes, it's for the newborn shoot. We're going to do some semi-posed pictures. Nothing complicated though. Curled up on a shaggy blanket in a basket kind of thing.

22. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: ha, totally agreed about spoons. I seriously want my kid to play with our tupperware and cardboard boxes because I hate all that plastic shit and we have NO ROOM in our tiny NYC apartment for toys. also with you on feeling so blessed about #1 and hoping we are lucky enough for more

@T.H.O.U.: day care in my neighborhood is $1900/month for one baby I swear this is why everyone in NY puts off having kids until they're 40.

23. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@LCTBQE: We are currently paying almost $1700 for daycare for our toddler . . . so I feel your pain there! And don't underestimate the entertainment value of plastic bowls and uncooked pasta. My LO has spent countless hours playing with the random plastic things (cups, bowls, bottle parts, etc.) in *her* cabinet, and also playing with plastic bowls and curly pasta!

24. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

Our infant cost will be ~$1370 a month. Which isn't terrible, considering. But it's not like it's a super fancy daycare. I love the teachers and how small it is, so for us it makes up for the non-fanciness. There's one across the street from my office that is really really nice and it's $1900 .

We pay about $1200 for our toddler right now. Luckily he'll move to the preschool room this summer and his tuition will go down $100/week. And then they'll give us a 20% sibling discount when Lily starts. So that will bring our grand total up to about $2100 for both kids. Ugh.

25. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

These daycare costs are making me cringe.

@LCTBQE: I absolutely put off having kids until I could figure child care out. It took years and quite a bit of effort. too late now to be a sahm since collet loans robbed me of that option!

26. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@LCTBQE: with my LO, we literally just had an activity mat that she played with constantly, and she had a few little toys on it - like a rattle and whatnot. we did not have any toys that took up room until she was 10 months and we left the city! and she was plenty entertained we had lots of books, that was it. and yea, NYC child care is RIDICULOUS. $1900/month isn't bad at all for NY!

27. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

Hahaha. It will probably be over $2500 per month to have DS in preschool and DD at a home daycare. Good thing DS will be 5 in 2017 so then we'll get a break once he goes to public kindergarten! Yikes.

ETA: more likely closer to $2900!

28. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Pirouette: Do you recall what activity mat you have/had for your LO? I was considering one of those, too, since I also don't want any toys that take up space.

@pregnantbee: I was so sad that my girl will likely be born before the September 1st cutoff date for starting preschool because she will be the youngest in her class. But then I thought, phew, saving on one more year of paid-for preschool! Although, my school district does offer transitional kindergarten if she happens to be born after September 1st but I don't think its a full day of school.

Speaking of "full day of school", its nice that kids aren't stuck at school all day long, but when they get out at 2:30, who picks them up? Not the parents who have to work until 5. ugh. problems I will face down the road.

But one problem I don't have anymore is crib sheets! Finally ordered them!

29. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I got my moccs today! They look great.

30. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@ShootingStar: Aaaah! So so cute!

31. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@ShootingStar: So so cute.

32. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@agold: we had this one for my lo when we were in a small apartment. It's not big and was great for before she was mobile! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067K0L/ref=s9_zwish_hd_bw_bDIwz5_g75_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-9&pf_rd_r=01VBJB2F66CC2EYTGGQ1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=c0e737d4-a975-514d-813a-70e6b20e0f4e&pf_rd_i=196609011

My daughter, as you know, is teeny tiny, and she was a Dec baby (our cutoff is 12/31). It sucks that so many people hold their kids back these days so she'll be the youngest by a lot, but at the same time, she's totally the type to be motivated by being with bigger kids and will likely do better being the youngest.

33. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@stratosphere: hey lady, I was re-reading our gear thread specifically looking for your stroller comments from forever ago. I was wondering a couple things about the UB Vista--
    1. do you think it folds down and carries easily? I'm in a walk-up brownstone. not sure if you are also in a walk-up situation
    2. did you happen to look into the UB Cruz? and if so, why'd you go with the Vista, and does that accommodate tall folks as well, or is it not as good as the Vista?
    thxxx in advance

34. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@LCTBQE: I have the cruz and love it. It's known as the Alta in Oz and the vista wasn't available when we bought ours. I think the main difference is being able to add a second seat. My husband is tall and has no issues with the cruz.

35. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@AprilFool: oh, thanks! I like that the Cruz/Alta is lighter weight and a little "less" stroller, not to mention it's way cheaper. how does it do on folding down?

36. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@LCTBQE: I always thought it was easy to fold. Only thing is the seat needs to be removed to fold if baby is facing you, when baby is facing out it folds in one piece, which might be a pain carrying upstairs

37. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

We did our big amazon order this week. It wouldn't have been as much money, but we qualify for 150.00 back toward a car seat from our insurance so we got a new convertible (we don't need an infant seat, but will need another convertible). Went with the Chico nextfit zip this time.
    Mostly boring stuff, like diaper cream, new pump parts, bottles, etc.
    but I did order our mobile, which I've excited to get!

My husband is almost done sanding the crib so we will be able to paint it. And he built a small ottoman/trunk thing that I have to figure out how upholster....

38. T.H.O.U.

@Silva: isn't it crazy how fast the "not fun" stuff adds up!

39. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@T.H.O.U.: uh, yes. I wanted to add totally unnecessary clothes and blankets, but ended up taking them out of my cart when I saw the total

40. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: That's why I bought all the fun stuff first

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee