Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@LCTBQE: My ped gave us the same advice. We went into our first appointment laughing that she must've gained five pounds with all her cluster feeding. Turns out she had only gained 2 ounces and was no where near her birth weight. The ped thought she might be expending too many calories and recommended cutting her off after 10-15 minutes per side.

I'm kind of inconsistent with it, but her weight has gone up better. But I still have a giant cluster feeder on my hands, and this is totally foreign to me. The only time she goes more than 10 minutes between feeds is when she's sleeping. Otherwise she wants to be attached to my boobs 24-7.

2. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Babe did some more cluster feeding yesterday evening and late this afternoon, but slept well in the ring sling and the boba for naps
    I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the high needs of the baby, and was that I can barely meet any of my big girls wishes right now.nthe exhaustion really hit me this afternoon.
    I'm also feeling frustrated by still not being fully healed and missing exercise!
    I remember feeling all this stuff the first time, and also remember how quickly it all changes. I'm grateful for the perspective and just have to keep reminding myself of it!

I love hearing people's birth stories- I wrote mine for the baby book but it's super long, will try to get an abbreviated version here soon!

3. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@Silva: I've been really overwhelmed trying to figure out how to be an adequate mom to two as well. I feel like I'm totally failing my toddler. It doesn't help that either his behavior has gone way down hill, or I just don't have the capacity to be patient and loving since I'm stretched so thin. Lily seems to need me 24 hours a day. DH keeps semi joking that she has mommy radar - the moment I get too far away she starts freaking out and wanting to eat. Even when she's napping I barely get a break because no one else can hold her. Took me a week to get a chance to shower because I couldn't get 10 minutes away from her.

I know this phase passes quickly and Lily's just bring a newborn. I just wish it didn't make me hate life around my toddler 😔.

4. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Silva: I hear you on the healing and missing exercise. I could really really use a solid workout. But. This c-section recovery is no joke. I had my three week follow-up today and even though I am healing well, I am only cleared for light walking. And really, I know that's probably all I'm capable of. Just walking around feels strange--like part of my body is missing/won't engage. As the feeling starts to come back in more places, my pain level increases as the day goes on and I move more. I have a ton of referred pain in one shoulder, and my scar is tighter on one side than the other. I just want to be better. Not feeling good physically is exacerbated by the lack of sleep (even though my little guy is a decent sleeper!). It takes a toll mentally. I try to remind myself that I am only three weeks out and that I'm doing really well. But I still feel like I have so far to go, and not being able to move forward is incredibly frustrating.

5. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@pwnstar: I'm so sorry recovery is feeling slow for you. Sounds like being cleared for light walking is great progress though- major abdominal surgery just 3 weeks ago!! I walked a lot yesterday- we took my daughter to a farm that she loves. Walked around and then walked back from the farm to the car (we did a tractor ride out$. Probable a mile total.... And today my bleeding started again and I'm so sore. It always feels like a step forward and then a step back!! I did order some tanks for nursing from old navy and a new shirt, and am shopping around for a couple other things. I didn't lose all the weight until closer to 6 months last time so I'm trying to mentally prepare for the same this time.

@ShootingStar: it can feel really suffocating when they are attached to you like that!!! I'm making my shower a priority though, every night. And then during that 10 minutes I try to really be present and enjoy nobody touching me!!!!

I just got a three hour stretch!!!! Would have be four, but my son just started with a slightly earlier "bed time" and I wasn't prepared for it.

6. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@ShootingStar: We're just coming out of this period now at 6 weeks but DS still wants to be held pretty much all the time he is awake but is sometimes happy to be held by someone else now. DD is behaving better, she's really only acting out while I am home alone and feeding now.

@pwnstar: Three weeks is not very long after major surgery. Be kind to yourself!

@Silva: Yay for 3 hours!! J does that to me all the time, he starts his longest stretch at 7pm and I am just not going to bed at 7pm.

@THOU: I hope you're ok and your power comes back on soon

7. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@AprilFool: thanks.

Power is still out. But we caved and drove 5 hours to my parents. Her first road trip at 2.5 weeks old! She did great in the car. We stopped once for dinner.

8. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Silva: @AprilFool: Thanks

@T.H.O.U.: I'm so sorry y'all are dealing with this! So many hugs to you. I hope you feel better soon and that making the trip allows you to rest and recover while your parents watch your littles.

9. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@pwnstar: are you wearing a belly binder? I was wearing mine 24/7, then took it off to wash it, cause eww, and I was so sore after a day of not wearing it.

10. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: I try to. I wear it mostly at night though. It creases so much that it's kind of uncomfortable. Although maybe that's just the trade off-for my belly to feel good I just need to suck it up and wear it. I have two-the Belly Bandit Original and the BFF. I also just ordered the C-Panty to see if that would be more comfortable. It should arrive today!

What kind do you have/wear?

11. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@pwnstar: I'm just wearing the generic one the hospital gave me, but I was considering buying a belly bandit cause this one is going to be too big soon. I just like the feel of being held in. I sneezed once wearing it and once not wearing it- I felt like I'd popped my whole gigantic incision when I wasn't wearing it. Mines like 8inches wide, and I'm short, so it def creases, but I feel like it makes me sit up and have better posture because it takes up my whole abs- from incision to boobs basically. Which do you prefer the bandit or the bff?

12. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: The BFF. It has two tabs to secure the binder instead of one long tab, so it fits better than the Original. I have a long torso, so I feel like the area above my incisions doesn't get covered. And that's where I need the compression the most-I still have swelling above my scar (and more swelling on one side than the other--the side where it feels like my scar has more adhesion(s)).

13. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pwnstar: @OldpuebloJenn: hey girls. What exactly does the belly bandit do? I'm actually already back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Below it, even. A few pounds away from the 20 pound weight loss I had in the first trimester while on bed rest. But my lower tummy is still puffed out a bit and my hips look wider to me. Will belly bandit help any of this?

14. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: I was given a binder to wear because of my c-section. I didn't wear a binder with my first so I'm unsure of any benefits for a vaginal delivery. It takes a while to get back to pre pregnancy shape, if ever for some.

15. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@agold: The Belly Bandit may help with your belly. I know lots of people who wore one after a vaginal delivery. As for your hips, there are hip binders that you can wear too. You can wear them at the same time as the belly binder if you like. Just keep in mind that sometimes weight gets redistributed a little after pregnancy. Fwiw, I gained a ton with my first and after losing all the weight everything was back to *normal*. We'll see what happens after this baby . . . !

16. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pwnstar: ha! I will just laugh if weight gets redistributed to my hips. My hips are so wide already. I figure their wideness is what attributed to baby girl coming out so fast! so good lord, if they get any wider?!?!

17. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

I'm sorry I've been MIA. Just had a string of visitors and also haven't been able to get my hands on a computer. Miss you all and hope you're doing well.

Things are generally good here, but today I've been dealing with a fussy baby. I also feel like I haven't seen my husband at all since he went back to work last week. He generally helps our son while I'm with our daughter at most times. And then 9p rolls around and rather than hang out, I've been opting for sleep. Anyone else in the same boat?

18. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

MRSWHIT1 (Born 7/11) - 1 Months, 23 Days
    Thismustbetheplace (#2 born 7/28) - w, 0 d
    APRILFOOL (#2 Jack born 7/22) - 1 Months, 12 Days
    Umberto (#1 born 7/29) - 1 Months, 5 Days
    TeawithPaloma (#2 Dominic born 8/5) - 0 Months, 29 Days
    dcw6411 (#3 Luke born 7/21 ) - 1 Months, 13 Days
    pregnantbee (#2 born 7/29) - 1 Months, 5 Days
    Mossyslane (#2 born 7/13) - 1 Months, 21 Days
    AANDMKLOVER (#3 Wes born 7/12) - 1 Months, 22 Days
    MrsBeluga (#2 born 8/5) - 0 Months, 29 Days
    Coffeemom (#2 born 7/12) - 1 Months, 22 Days
    mrschickpea (#1 Anya born 7/18) - 1 Months, 16 Days
    silva (#2 born 8/11) - 0 Months, 23 Days
    coopsmama (#3 born 8/18) - 0 Months, 16 Days
    Glitter (#2 Juliet born 7/31 ) - 1 Months, 3 Days
    oldpuebloJenn (#2 born 8/23) - 0 Months, 11 Days
    MrsSCB (#1 born 8/17) - 0 Months, 17 Days
    T.H.O.U. (#3 born 8/14) - 0 Months, 20 Days
    pwnstar (#2 born 8/11) - 0 Months, 23 Days
    stratosphere (#2 born 8/16) - 0 Months, 18 Days
    shootingstar (#2 born 8/16) - 0 Months, 18 Days
    agold (#1 born 8/26) - 0 Months, 8 Days
    LCTBQE (#1 born 8/28) - 0 Months, 6 Days
    mrskerch (#1 born 8/27) - 0 Months, 7 Days
    clairhuxtable (#2 born 8/22) - 0 Months, 12 Days
    pirouette (#2 born 8/25) - 0 Months, 9 Days

19. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

Hi mommas! I somehow missed this thread and now I'm so far behind! A is 10 days old, and doing great so far. He dropped a bit of weight even though my milk came in with a fury the day after my c section!) - he was very very sleepy in the hospital, especially after the circumcision. But, he's been eating great and is back at his birth weight now! I've been waking him every 1.5 to 2 hours to eat during the day and hoping he'll figure out day and night soon so we can get some sleep (two 3-3.5 hour stretches last night felt like a month long beach vacation! I hope it happens again sometime!)

My recovery has been harder this time - physically and mentally because of my girl's adjustment too and not being able to do things with her. She has been amazing, but a little sad and emotional at times, and it breaks my heart to say no, i can't chase you/play on the floor with you/hold you. She told me she wants me to stop healing, obviously a little confused about what healing actually means, but she's like "mom, get better already!" oh the mommy guilt.

Physically, i had such an easy recovery last time, so my expectations were out of whack i think. They gave me way more anesthesia and fluids this time, and not only was i extremely nauseous in the hospital, but since i got home, ive dealt with scary swelling @pwnstar: omg that swelling is no joke! I know exactly how you feel , plus a spinal headache and horrible back pain. And of course engorgement, since my body apparently makes milk for quintuplets. Oh and that whole incision thing. I had staples this time and getting them removed has helped.

All that said, i feel pretty good now, and better every day. I totally miss working out and holding my daughter, but those will happen in due time.

I am glad to see everyone is adjusting well and promise to follow along better now that i found this place!

Question: does anyone have very uneven production? I eventually only nursed my daughter on one side because it was so lopsided. I'm not sure if i should do anything to try to increase the other side or just go with it. He's taking both sides for now, but getting way more on my left i think.

20. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

Oh another question: anyone have a nursing bra or tank that they love? I've just been wearing the sleep bra ones, but i struggle with finding clothes to wear when i leave the house because they are not so flattering i could use one that more resembles an actual bra but doesn't have underwire. And maybe a new nursing tank that doesn't have tons of extra fabric in the belly area (like looks like a normal tank)

21. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Pirouette: can't help you with flattering nursing bras, I gave up and wear soft cup regular bras if j need something with shape, or stretchy pullover bras.
    I have super uneven production and every doctor always told me it's normal. So uneven that my left side dried up by like 8 months last time. I always try to offer it first when he is hungriest but I admit to relying heavily on the "good" side at night because it's easier

22. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@pwnstar: I miss exercising so much! I'm dying to get back to it, and I've thought about just starting to lift weights with my arms (nothing super heavy). But then I think i might as well wait for the all-clear.

@Silva: we also have a lot of cluster feeding going on. It makes me nervous that maybe he's not getting enough, although his weight is following a curve so far...

I know I read cluster feeding doesn't mean anything re: supply, but I feel like I'm not eating enough and I'm terrible about drinking water. I always read BFing makes your appetite increase, but I feel the opposite. My appetite is small these days. I suspect from stress. I'm a stress not-eater, vs. eater, it just completely takes away any desire for food

@Pirouette: I don't know if these count as flattering per se, but I have two of these and find them very comfortable. And I don't find them terribly unflattering at least. My only complaint is that they don't come in more sizes. The band size for medium is a bit big, but the cup size of small is wayyyyy too small. So I got mediums, and they've been working fine. ETA: I also ordered new nursing tops from H&M that don't look like they have tons of extra fabric. I'll let you know how they fit when I get them!

Somewhat TMI question -- I still have a decent amount of bright red bleeding and still get minor cramps occasionally. Is that normal at this point? I'm 2.5 weeks postpartum. Not enough to fill a pad or anything, but I just thought it would be lighter by this time.

23. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@MrsSCB: my daughter used to nurse for so long when she cluster fed- she'd cry and bang on my breasts. She always got more though. I was so nervous she wasn't getting enough, but the doctor said she was growing well and she always had enough wet diapers.
    I'm having trouble eating, too. I get nauseous when I breast feed (just early on, it goes away eventually) and it makes it hard to eat.
    I'm three weeks and 3 days and still wear a liner. I was wearing a pad until just recently. And I still feel sore/ pain and general pelvic weakness. I fully anticipate a referral for PT at my 6 week check

24. CoffeeMom

cherry / 239 posts

My little boy is almost 8 weeks old now, and I can't believe how fast time has gone. After a bit of a bumpy start, he is doing great. He had persistent jaundice, and we had a home bili blanket and home health care nurses for several weeks. He had difficulty gaining weight, but is catching up now. He was born at 5 lb 11 oz and is finally over 7 pounds now. Still tiny, but is now healthy and the ped is happy. We are still having a hard time with sleep (he only likes to sleep on me), but the cluster feeding at night has decreased. During the day he eats like crazy though!!

I'm feeling great, except for the fact that I got my period back already! I got it back at 4 months with DD, so was expecting at least that and not at 7 weeks!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

25. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@Silva: maybe i should just do that - i have a wireless bra i wore all during pregnancy that would prob work. And yea, that's me exactly... 2am, want to sleep... You're getting the more productive boob buddy!

@MrsSCB: my first was a crazy cluster feeder and gained just fine - and i'm an over producer so she shouldn't have needed it, but it was just her way! As long as he's gaining, he's great and maybe flattering was the wrong word... How about not offensive? can you link me to the ones you got? And def let me know about the tanks! Bleeding is supposed to pick up a little as your activity level increases, so i wouldn't worry too much, unless it continues to increase.

@CoffeeMom: 8 weeks already!! Glad everything is going well!

26. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@Pirouette: ahhh, totally meant to include a link earlier, my brain is not working these days haha. http://www.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-seamless-bra-gilligan-o-malley/-/A-14910003

27. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

A couple questions for you guys about naps. Where do your bubs sleep during the day? Anna has decided this week that she doesn't want to sleep in the bassinet during the day- it's pretty much the bouncer or nothing. Is that a bad thing longer term?
    Also, does anyone swaddle during the day? Lately in the afternoon she gets super sleepy but only snoozes for a few minutes at a time regardless if she's in the bouncer, pram, etc. She's not crying, just slightly fussy. Do you think swaddling would help her settle? I avoided swaddling during in the day because I wanted her to think of it as a night time thing.

28. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Pirouette: I give you mad props for having two c-sections. Seriously. The swelling. *augh* I was literally bigger when I left than when I was admitted. That was super head trippy. But I didn't have any spinal headaches. That sounds absolutely miserable. I hope you feel better soon!

I also have uneven production--my left side seems to always be more full than the right (it was that way with my first too).

@MrsSCB: I am mentally so ready to start working out. And I have been seriously tempted to push myself physically. But I haven't. I will start doing more walking this week now that I'm cleared for that, and hope that my good behavior will get me full clearance at 6 weeks. *fx*

Your bleeding sounds normal. I bled for 6 weeks with my first, and I started spotting again after I became more active and finally stopped for good at 8 weeks. Which felt like an eternity!

@CoffeeMom: So glad everything is smoothing out and going well! We needed a bili blanket for my first, and she was a slow gainer too. She's now four and is a force to be reckoned with!

@Umberto: I swaddle during the day. Not for naps when he's being held, but if I am going to put him down and try to maximize a nap, I will swaddle him to keep him settled. I am trying to make sure he gets enough sleep during the day that he sleeps at night too (so that he's not overtired). I have also had good luck wearing him for naps (I currently wear him in a Solly wrap).

29. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@Umberto: She sleeps everywhere. (Or nowhere 😬). The bouncy seat, the swing, my arms, next to me in bed, etc. I have started to swaddle her during the day occasionally because I think she's getting over tired.

30. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

So Thomas is 1 month tomorrow and that means I am halfway through maternity leave...The desire to quit working to be with him is in overdrive (this never happened with my first baby). I can't imagine being anywhere near ready to work FT in a month and I am ready to sell our house to downsize and cut our spending budget. My DH thinks I've lost it:( Anyone else go through this?

31. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@MrsBeluga: I did with my first--and I'm sure I will with this baby too (but hopefully not as intensely!). I promised myself that I would not make any major life decisions during the first year. I wanted so badly to jump ship and stay home but I am so glad I didn't (my profession does not take kindly to those who leave and then try to come back). The first few months of work were tough, but I knew by the end of the first year that I had made the right decision. And especially as my LO got older and became more independent and the balance became easier (she just turned 4!), I knew that I was a better mama for it. My advice is to give yourself time. So much love to you!

32. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@MrsBeluga: I can imagine feeling the same way. Unfortunately, I have to work so I'm going to push those thoughts from my head. Too much income to cut out from my family.

Regarding bleeding - I just had a rather large clot come out of me. I felt it as it was coming out! is this normal! It was like a golf ball or anything, but it was a big flat gross clot!

33. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@MrsBeluga: I went through it with my first and I did quit! @pwnstar's advice is great, no major life decisions in the first year. But for me it was the best decision. I had a career in non-profit, and I had already gone down to part time. After child care, I wasn't bringing home much in the way of income. I worked for 1 week, gave notice and then worked contractually for 2 months. I've rarely regretted my decision, mainly just regret not deciding while I was still working to save a bit more money that I could have dipped into for gym membership, hair and nail salon visits,etc. it's worked well for us, but we were able to make the transition with no major lifestyle changes, as we'd already planned for me to go pt. Hugs mama.

34. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Umberto: I worried about the same thing with my first but I always swaddle. It's the only way to get good naps in this house.

@MrsBeluga: Sorry that you're feeling that way. Hopefully it works out in a way that you feel comfortable with.

35. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

Hi all, checking in from the other side here now that I feel slightly more human. Emmaline (Emma) joined our family on 8/27 at 1:14 pm via C-section after 42 hrs of trying to pop her out on my own. Working to get her back up to birth weight while trying to make breastfeeding work for both of us. (we have had a CLC come to the house and that was helpful). Even though everything feels a bit like a struggle, we have a healthy girl and I am confident that we'll find the right balance soon! Hope all of you ladies are well, I'll update our birth story sometime soon. 😄

36. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

Finally wrote out my birth story and wanted to share for anyone who is like me and enjoys reading these Brace yourselves, this is long...

I went to my 40-week appointment on the 16th, my due date, and we made a plan to induce a week later at 41 weeks if he didn't arrive by then. At about 3:15 in the morning, I woke up to contractions. I started timing and they were about six minutes apart, but not super painful yet. I decided to try to sleep a little longer to see how they progressed. Woke up at 5 a.m. and they were still close together and getting painful. I woke up my husband and said I thought it was time to go to the hospital, and I don't think I've ever seen him jump out of bed faster. We ran around making sure we had our suitcase and everything on the list and we arrived at the hospital at 5:45 a.m. By the time I got hooked up in the assessment room, the contractions were very painful and about 2-3 minutes apart. I couldn't see the contraction monitor from the bed, so I was squeezing my husband's hand during them and he would tell me when they started winding down. Not too long after, they told me I would be admitted. I was so worried about going to the hospital and getting sent home, so I was happy to hear that!

I decided pretty quickly I would be getting an epidural, but I had to wait until I was actually in my labor and delivery room, which took a little while. When I was moving from the assessment room to the delivery room, on a different floor, the nurse asked me if I would rather be wheeled there in the wheelchair or walk I remember thinking, "I'm having contractions 2-3 minutes apart, does this seem like a time that I would enjoy strolling to a different floor?!" haha.

Once I was in the labor and delivery room, the resident checked me and I was at about 4 cm. I got the epidural very quickly after that. I'd been super nervous about the process, but the anesthesiologist was friendly, cracking jokes and very efficient, so it was much easier than I thought it would be. One weird thing was that they made my husband leave the room for that. But he's not good with needles, so it was probably for the best anyway. I felt pretty much immediate relief. I could still tell when contractions were happening by pressure, but no more pain. Amazing! My doctor came by shortly after that, probably around 10, and said she would be around and available all day, she just had one mandatory meeting from 12-1. After that, my husband and I just chilled in the room for awhile and watched a movie (Identity Thief). The nurse came in periodically and had me lie on one side for awhile and then switch to the other. My family arrived in the waiting room at 12:30, and I figured it would still be awhile, so I told DH to go get some lunch in the hospital cafe with them.

This is where it started getting interesting. Within minutes of when he left, I started feeling a lot of pressure. I thought maybe I felt like I needed to push, but I also thought there was no way -- the last time I was checked I was 4 cm. After several very uncomfortable contractions, I finally called the nurse and said I was feeling a lot of pressure. She checked me and I was fully dilated! They started prepping the room for delivery and I was freaking out because I couldn't get ahold of my husband. The hospital had terrible cell service. I was calling him, calling my family members, texting, I sent an email with the subject line "COME BACK NOW." Finally he came running back in, whew. Of course this all started just before one, and as I mentioned, my doctor was in a meeting from 12-1, her only obligation for the whole day. Typical...ha. So as they're prepping the room, they're paging my doctor to see if she can make it. Meanwhile, the on-call doctor is waiting right outside my door, just in case things got started before my doc could make it. This was basically the start of the worst part for me because my epi had pretty much entirely worn off. I hadn't wanted to push the button to increase the amount, because I didn't want to be completely numb...so instead I went in the opposite direction and could feel everything by that point. It felt like they were taking forever to prep the room and I was feeling SO.MUCH.PRESSURE and pain, I thought the baby would come shooting out before they finished. I was basically turned on my side, clutching the bed rail for dear life through every contraction. Finally, they were ready and my doctor did arrive, so things got going. I started pushing just after 1 p.m. and F arrived at 1:47.

I have to say, pushing was way harder than I even imagined. I made a lot of noise pushing through each contraction, which I never thought I would, but it was like I couldn't help it. Crazy. I remember looking at my husband and thinking, "This is going to be our only child for sure..." lol. And I was so proud of my husband. He's super squeamish, like he almost passed out during my first TV ultrasound, so we'd been wondering how he'd do during labor. And he did so great! He held my leg for me, and he even saw the baby coming out and was just in awe. I was shocked that he watched everything. But he was such good support, which made me really happy. And as I was pushing, the nurse, doctor and my husband kept saying, "He has so much hair!" My doctor had me feel his head at one point, which was amazing. When F came out, they put him immediately on me while they wiped him down. We got to do skin to skin for awhile, I don't even know how long, but he latched on right away. While he was lying on my chest, my doctor stitched me up and told me I had a second degree tear. When they finally took F to measure him, he was 8 lb., 7 oz and 21 in. long.

37. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@MrsSCB: thanks for sharing!!! I love reading birth stories glad you husband made it back 😉

38. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@MrsKerch: it's great to hear from you! I love the name Emmaline. My girl is just Emma. I really love your outlook. Everything for me feels like a struggle right now. I've been having some down days - I feel like my husband is better at everything than me. But we are going out for the first time today - to my mom's house! I pray it all goes well. We are so late. Baby needed to feed. I leaked breast milk on her outfit. I hate when she cries and I don't have the option of just feeding her. But I'm going to stay confident we will find the right balance soon!! I need to keep reminding myself - she's only 10 days old and I've only been mobile for about 2 days.

Does anyone here feel less than confident about strapping their baby into the car seat? I'm fairly sure that I'm not doing it right and I'm terrified.

39. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: the car seat is so hard right now when they are in what I call the meatloaf stage. They have no muscle tone, so they look like they're scrunched in their seats! As long as the chest clip is by her armpits and you can't pinch the straps, I'm sure she's in there fine!

@MrsSCB: great birth story! I finally finished writing mine.

40. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Here's an abbreviated version of my birth story...
    On the morning of the 10th I woke up and lost more of my mucus plug. Since this had happened a week earlier I didn't think much of it. Ran out the door to get to my 40-week spot. Luckily my daughter had been staying with my mom for the night/dAy so I could rest and go to the appt alone.
    I lost my bloody show in the bathroom at the doctors office before my spot. They checked me, I was 2cm dilated and 75% effaced. She did a sweep, which hurt like crazy, and told me to go walk around town- just in case things went fast. I walked around town, and began having mild contractions every 12 min. After a couple hours I drove home because I didn't want to be out and about and it didn't seem like things were going fast.
    I rested at home and then sat on a yoga ball. Around noon the contractions began to get more painful. Slowly they got closer together. I called my husband home from work when they were 6 min apart and too painful to talk through. The on call nurse recommended we head in, since we live 45 min away. We walked a bit more when we got to the hospital. I couldn't walk or talk through contractions and they were coming every 4-5 min so we checked into L&d at around 5.
    I was 4cm dilated when I got there. They also confirmed the baby was posterior and not descending...I spent the next 4 or so hours laboring in the tub and on the ball. My contractions lasted about 2 minutes, and were very painful, every 4-6 minutes. I threw up a couple times. At 8:30 it was clear to me that this was looking a lot like my first labor so I requested an epidural (it made me progress very quickly last time). They checked me and despite all that labor I was still a 4 (confirming my suspicions). I waited a good hour for an anesthesiologist.
    After the epi was placed my blood pressure plummeted and the baby's heart rate started having some pretty intense decelerations- into the 90s and not rebounding well. They decided to break my water to try to get things moving.
    I started getting a ton of fluids at this point.
    The next few hours were intense. It was a dance of trying to manage my super low blood pressure, which was impacting baby, and finding a position the baby liked. They all but turned off the epidural and I had to stay on hands and knees because it was the only position baby would tolerate. They gave me epinephrine three times to try to bump my blood pressure.
    I did, however, dilate rapidly after the epi. At midnight I was at 9.5 and started feeling and urge to push. My doctor was able to kind of push the rest out of the way. I pushed for 20 min and he came out. He had a crazy long cord (it was probably about 3.5 feet long) and wrapped around his neck twice and arm once. Once my water broke he was able to move to the anterior position so I had finally started to dilate but every contraction compressed the cord- explaining his low heart rate.
    It was pretty scary for a little while- I was worried I wouldn't have enough strength to push him out. I had the same doctor who delivered my daughter- and i love her. She was great the whole time, and I trust every decision she made. I didn't tear at all (although I was way more swollen than last time- he was a pound bigger than his sister).

there were a lot of similarities between my two labors, probably because of those darn posterior babies. Despite my BLood pressure issues this time, I think next time I may just go straight for An epidural. I want to talk to my doctor more, but if I have another posterior baby I'd rather just move forward rather than waste my energy with intense, long, painful and totally unproductive contractions. It's super discouraging to do all that work and not make any progress!!

I feel kind of annoyed with my body when I think about my experience this time, but mostly I feel positive about it all- I felt so much immediate love for him. That was pretty wonderful since it took me a little longer to feel that way with my daughter

Anyway- that's it! Sorry it's so long!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee