Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2014 weekly check-in

1. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

LO’s Name (or nickname): Finn (or Little Dude)
    LO’s Gender: Boy
    LO’s Birth Date: May 27th
    Child #: #1
    Work Status: WOHM (full time)

2. mkp17

cherry / 179 posts

Great Idea!!!

LO’s Birth Date: June 26
    Child #: 2
    Sibling Age/Name/Gender: Big sister 18 months
    Work Status: Work outside of home, going back full time next week
    Picture:

3. beachbee

kiwi / 673 posts

@MsBadger: great idea!!

LO's name or nickname: sweet pea
    Gender: girl (we were team green and were convinced it was a boy!)
    Birthday: May 28, she came about a week before her June due date
    Child #: 4 (we have twin angel boys from my first pregnancy)
    Sibling Age/gender: big sister is 22 months!
    Work status: went back full time when she was 11 weeks old, then transitioned to part time a few weeks later. I am much happier in this new position, my last one was very stressful and had a lot of travel so it wasn't working well for our family.
    Picture:

4. beachbee

kiwi / 673 posts

@kentuckygirl: have you tried brewers yeast? It is a powder and you can add it to anything you eat, soups, smoothies, etc. it's quite bitter but I e gotten used to the taste and I think it has really helped my supply since I started to notice a dip when I started back to work.

5. spartysammy

coffee bean / 29 posts

LO’s Name (or nickname): Allie Lynn
    LO’s Gender: Girl
    LO’s Birth Date: June 4, 2014
    Child #:1
    Sibling Age/Name/Gender: step sister, Kenia, age 10
    Work status: WOH four days a week as a social worker. Allie is home with dad two days and at daycare the other two.
    Picture: I would add one but I dont know how!

6. spartysammy

coffee bean / 29 posts

Duh!

7. Meagan2014

coffee bean / 28 posts

LO’s Name (or nickname): Maxwell (Max)
    LO’s Birth Date: June 30, 2014
    Child #: First
    Work status: I am on Mat Leave for a year
    Picture:

8. Chastenet

kiwi / 614 posts

Hi ladies, I'm still around, just absolutely exhausted and finding it difficult to find time to do much of anything...
    Please allow me to unload a bit

LO’s Name (or nickname): Paul
    LO’s Gender: boy
    LO’s Birth Date: June 7th
    Sibling Age/Name/Gender: Alice, 25m
    Work Status: WAH
    Picture:

9. Chastenet

kiwi / 614 posts

1) how old is your LO? 3 months
    2) what "games" do they like to play/what do you do in between naps and feeding? He's starting to grab at things and is very amused by his play mat with dangling toys.
    3) are you working towards any milestones? Not really, I am so much less aware of these things the 2nd time around...I'm just trying to keep everyone clean, fed, and clothed while surviving on far from enough sleep
    4) did you do anything nice for YOU this week. Do something for me? I dream about it sometimes...Actually I did get to have an awesome massage / few hours at a spa for my birthday a few weeks ago. I will be relishing that for months to come!

So bees, it's hard....It's so, so hard. I feel terrible complaining because I know things could be much, much worse. My kids are healthy and generally happy, I am remarkably capable when it comes to organizing myself and dealing with 2...
    But I am so very, very tired. My son was not a good sleeper, and then he became an ok sleeper and was waking twice a night and now he's back to being a pretty crappy sleeper recently. On top of that I had the bright idea of transitioning DD to her toddler bed so I can have the crib for DS and she has been waking every night for the past 1.5 weeks. I basically have not slept more than 3h at a time since my son was born and it is really, really getting to me. I lose my patience way too easily and yell at my kids when I'm tired - I am just not as good of a mom as I want to be and know I can be.
    It's just so hard - I've been back at work for over a month now, so I can't nap during the day. DH travels for work so I am home alone with the kids 3 nights per week. Those days are non-stop - from the second I wake up until a good hour after the kids are asleep I do not have a moment's rest or time to myself.
    I am finding myself dreaming about when I can sleep train my son...With my daughter I couldn't bear the thought of cry it out - with him I can't wait.
    Ugh - I'm sorry this is a major debby downer post. I'm just having such a hard time and keep looking towards the future and hoping that things and particularly sleep will get better.

10. BabyBruins

kiwi / 551 posts

LO’s Name (or nickname): James (little j)
    LO’s Birth Date: June 6th
    Sibling Age/Name/Gender: John (big J), 2.5
    Work Status: SAHM
    Picture: (I'll add one from my phone)

11. BabyBruins

kiwi / 551 posts

@Chastenet: I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Having 2 kids hit me HARD. At the beginning I kept thinking back to how easy it was with only 1 kid and what did I do to mess it up. Now at 3 months, I feel like I'm coming out of the fog. I found an email I wrote when my mom took J overnight for the first time, when he was almost 5 months old, and it really helped me come up with a plan for the baby as far as a schedule goes. We don't always hit the schedule, but I at least have something to aim for.
    Like you, I'm not always the mom I want to be and I get frustrated with J so easily. And he really is a good kid and is doing normal 2 year old things. My dirty secret is that we watch TV. A LOT. I feel guilty about it, but it makes him happy and I can get some stuff done and try to spend time with the baby putting him down. He just started preschool 3 days a week so he is getting socialization and activities there and we do go to the park on Non school days and take family walks to the beach, often at the expense of bedtime, but at least we're together. But we still watch at least 2-3 hours of TV every day. I wish I didn't rely on it so much, but I do.
    The sleep thing is killer. j is sleeping okay, but putting him down takes a while and I was just getting sad that he doesn't really like to snuggle and will only tolerate me bouncing on the yoga ball or standing, so I kind of resent the process right now. I hope it's just a phase. Have you tried a dream feed? It's been really successful for us. We put j down btwn 6-7, I feed him at 10:30-11 even though he doesn't wake up, I just gently pick him up, nurse him and put him back down and lately he'll make it to 5:30-6:00, but every few days I'll get a 3-4am wake up. We did this with J until he was 10 months old and J is a pretty good sleeper. We struggled a bit when we took the front of his crib off, and I think we turned a corner there, but not without tears when we took away his nightlight when he would get out of bed.
    I also remember that I felt like it got easier with J at 6 months, so I keep looking forward to the end of the year when I feel like we will really be in our groove.
    I hope you feel better soon. As a second time mom, I keep reminding myself that it will pass and they will move on to something else. It's only a phase. Let me know if I can share anything else that works for us.

12. beachbee

kiwi / 673 posts

@Chastenet: oh mama I am right there with you. I can't type much now, at work on my pumping break that's almost over, but I wanted to give you big hugs and let you know you are not alone. You are a great mom and you are doing your very best for your kiddos. Being a solo parent is not easy, especially with 2! I'll write more later with our routine, just couldn't wait to say hang in there, it will get better!!!

13. Tundra Daisy

cherry / 150 posts

Hi Everyone

So cool to see everyones gorgeous babies!!! That's sad about spaniel, I hope she's ok

1) how old is your LO?

Baby boy is 4 months old next week.

2) what "games" do they like to play/what do you do in between naps and feeding?

He likes to fly around the house with his dad like an aeroplane.. haha that's his favourite thing at the moment.

3) are you working towards any milestones?

Not really, just going day by day and enjoying having more of a routine with his sleep etc which makes everything a bit more flexible. Also he's much happier in his pram now he's a bit bigger so we can go for more walks! He's also sleeping in his own room since last week which is soooo nice

Going to take him to the zoo next week for the first time, it will be my 30th birthday so I thought that would be a cool thing to do with him

4) did you do anything nice for YOU this week.

I left him home with his daddy and went shopping with my mum hehe!

LO’s Name : Jem
    LO’s Birth Date: June 4th
    Child #: 1
    Work Status: Working at home

14. BabyBruins

kiwi / 551 posts

What's the first rule about baby sleep? DON'T TALK ABOUT BABY SLEEP!!! I may have jinxed myself when I told @Chastenet: that the dream feed was working soooooo well for us. I got a 3:30 and 4:00 wake up the past 2 nights. Hubs also told a coworker that our newborn was sleeping through the night while her 1 year old twins are still waking up. If it's going well, just don't talk about it ..

15. Chastenet

kiwi / 614 posts

@BabyBruins: Ugh! Sorry you jinxed yourself trying to reassure me! I think the worst thing about baby/toddler sleep is just when you think things are good, they change and you find yourself back in multiple wake-ups or cry-it-out land.
    I did try a dream feed once, but DS woke up like 2h later so it didn't really help. But I guess it is worth trying again. How do you get your LO to latch for a dream feed? I sat there and tickled his lips for like 15m with my nipple while DS just stayed in his deep sleep.
    We also rely on videos to keep DD occupied while I make dinner and also as bribes to get her to use the potty before we go out. I try to limit it, but she has probably been watching an average of 1h of Peppa Pig per day. She does love it and it allows me to make food for everyone when I'm alone and have no one to help occupy the kids, so it is what it is...Sometimes you just have to go with whatever works.
    I'm also looking forward to the 6m mark - hopefully DS will be sleeping much better by then, and we'll be going to France to visit our family there for a month so I will have help, my MIL will be cooking and there will be plenty of family to play with DD. And hopefully soon after that, DH will be finding employment in Chicago so he doesn't have to travel so much anymore. So, things will get better...I just need to keep on keeping on until then.
    Thanks for the support @BabyBruins: and @beachbee: !

@Tundra Daisy: Those slippers are super cute!!!

16. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

Muhahaha, my secret plan to see cute baby pictures worked JK!!! It's so nice to be able to put a cute little face to the screen name.

@BabyBruins: I am not talking much about our sleep situation to anyone for that very reason and I'm terrified to make any changes for fear that everything will go to s**t. More than likely it will anyway...

Now that we'll all be coming up on the 4 month mark, has anyone had any thoughts on how they're going to approach solids? I think we'll wait until 6 months, and I'd really like to do more of a baby led weaning approach, but I'm not sure how that will work with our schedule and daycare.

17. Chastenet

kiwi / 614 posts

@BadgerMom: We'll do as we did with DD - wait until 6 months and then do baby led weaning. It worked wonderfully for us - DD is open to lots of foods and was self feeding very early. I attribute both to BLW

18. spartysammy

coffee bean / 29 posts

@BadgerMom: I think we will do a mix of homemade purees and BLW.

19. kentuckygirl

pear / 1786 posts

Name: Mason
    Birthdate: 6/3/14
    Child # 1
    WOH full time & have a long commute

20. beachbee

kiwi / 673 posts

Has anyone else's LO hit the 4month sleep regression? My awesome sleeper has turned into a baby who takes an hour plus to get to sleep and then wakes up every 45min to an hour. This is awful. I remember going through the same thing with DD#1 and this is when we started co-sleeping because I just couldn't take being up all night and then functioning at work. We ended up co-sleeping until she was 14 months and she still wont fall asleep on her own, so DH is hesitant to let the baby in our bed for fear that she will turn out like her big sister! Tried a dream feed last night and it totally backfired. Ugh. Any other tips? This mama is tired!!

21. Meagan2014

coffee bean / 28 posts

Not yet! I am not looking forward to it at all.iInterested in how everyone has been dealing with it as well.

22. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

@beachbee: Oh man. So far so good for us at night, but I'm scared s**tless for this! But naps have become a real battle in the last couple days. He used to go down wonderfully for naps. His eyes would get tired in the middle of our routine and he'd be out like a light. Now he starts to cry the minute we bring him into his room, even if it's just to grab something! And naps are now only lasting max an hour, usually 40 minutes. Makes for Sr. Grumpy Pants by the end of the day.

On a side note, did anyone else notice that the June 2015 Mama's board started today? Crazy to think that it's been a year since we all found out these crazy little people were on the way

23. kentuckygirl

pear / 1786 posts

Sorry for not posting much, my free time is just so limited now that I am back at work.

@BadgerMom: I did see the June 2015 thread & thought the same thing! One year ago today I was crying over a BFN and one year ago tomorrow is when I got my BFP!!! It feels so long ago!

24. BabyBruins

kiwi / 551 posts

@beachbee: I'm pretty sure we are dealing with this. And it's killing me. My older one didn't go through a 4month sleep regression and this is bringing me to my knees (or at least sobbing on my bed). All of our "tricks" aren't working anymore and he just fights naps with everything he has and when he finally does fall asleep, he has to be held and only sleeps for 40 minutes and wakes up crying. I can't do this and take care of J at the same time.
    I'm totally not opposed to sleep training/CIO (we did it with J) but j is still swaddled and I don't think I should let him CIO without being able to self soothe and suck on his hands. So I tried to start swaddle weaning him, but that is going terribly and he isn't sleeping and getting overtired and fighting sleep more.
    If I knew this would only last a few more days, I would power through, but I can't do this for a few more weeks.
    This is more of a vent, but any ideas?

25. Meagan2014

coffee bean / 28 posts

Check out this blog:
    http://www.weebeedreaming.com/my-blog/

It has lots of great info about baby sleep

26. shortcake

apricot / 288 posts

Hi ladies - just checking in now b.c I have been back at work. 2 kids is so much harder than 1.

LO’s Name (or nickname): Ellie or Ellie Belly (her sister calls her that)
    LO’s Gender: girl
    LO’s Birth Date: 6/30
    Sibling Age/Name/Gender: girl, 28 months
    Work Status: full time, out of house
    Picture:

The new baby is so great, but being back at work this week has kicked my butt. She doesn't start daycare until next week and we have some help from family this week and next. The baby sleep is so scattered. Some nights she wakes up once and other nights it is 2 or 3 times. Some days I feel like a functional adult and other days I am a mess.

Is anyone else planning on sleep training? I am not ready to cut out her night feeds yet but I might need to let her cry it out once or twice at other times during the night.

27. mkp17

cherry / 179 posts

Back to work so everything is crazy but wanted to pop in to say that I hope everyone is doing okay Things are a bit more hectic but overall both LOs are doing fantastic and we are adjusting pretty well to being a family of 4.
    The biggest challenge is feeling like I have enough time to pay attention to DH as I'm afraid he only gets a limited amount of time by the time the kids are in bed, he's home from work, dogs walked, a run (hopefully), clean up, etc. etc.
    I guess it goes with the territory and will get better!

Have a great rest of teh week!!

28. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

Has anyone else noticed this wonder week?

F is moody as all get out. He'll be happy laughing one minute and SCREAMING the next. Luckily it hasn't seemed to effect night sleep (yet), but naps have become a battle ground.

We used to have a pretty solid nap routine of diaper, swaddle, goodnight moon, crib. But a couple weeks ago he started screaming through it. It was like instead of calming him down and getting him ready to sleep like it used to, now he knew what was coming and was NOT happy about it. We've tried shorter wake times, longer wake times. Today DH tried to give him a top me off bottle to see if that would help. No luck. He does eventually fall asleep, but usually just for 40 or so minutes.

He seems to nap for his daycare mama... I think she feeds him to settle him. I followed an EASY schedule on maternity leave, but I'm not opposed to feeding him before naps if it works.

Hopefully this too shall pass. Sorry for the vent, I'm just not sure whether to keep trying things to just give in and wait.

29. BabyBruins

kiwi / 551 posts

@BadgerMom: we're going through something. All of our tricks won't work for nap anymore and bedtime takes longer. We now have multiple wake ups a night where we used to just have one with a dream feed. I think we will be sleep training next week. I ordered a zipadeezip and am waiting for that and his 4 month appt next week.
    I want to sleep train, but there is a feeling in my gut that it's too early and I'm stalling, but I also at my wits end with the naps and nighttime. My older one was not like this.

30. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

Long time no check in

How is everything going. This week is turning out to be a loooong week for me. F has become a professional back to tummy roller making us having to drop the swaddle and we came back from a trip last weekend causing a two hour time change. Needless to say, sleep has been rough the last two days and I'm vacillating between waiting it out hoping it gets better and continuing to go in a comfort him or CIO dropping everything (swaddle, pacifier, MOTN soothing) cold turkey.

31. CakeLady

pear / 1657 posts

@BadgerMom: We are also struggling with sleep and are thinking about some kind of sleep training. He goes to sleep on his own at bedtime peacefully but the motn wake ups are getting worse and worse - more frequent and more difficult to get E back to sleep.

Has anyone had success with specific sleep training methods? We are reading all the books but would love to hear from other mamas.

32. Chastenet

kiwi / 614 posts

@CakeLady: We were in the exact same boat - going to sleep on his own, but waking more and more frequently and more difficult to get him back to sleep. I was soooooo tired. I was at a point where I couldn't handle the sleep deprivation anymore, but I was worried about night weaning my 5m old. So, I talked to a friend who is a pediatric nurse practitioner. She reassured me that my lo could go all night without eating, even more so since we've started him on solids recently. So, we did cio - I put him to sleep and turned on the monitor and didn't come back in the room until the next morning at 6:30 (the earliest I decided I was willing to go get him). The first night wasn't as bad as I expected, he woke 3 times and cried about 10m each time. Since then, he has been waking about once per night and crying for 1-2m before going back to sleep. In the morning he is happy to see me and doesn't seem absolutely famished either. I would never have done sleep training so early with daughter, but now I am kind of thinking we should have. We waited way too long to do it with her, ultimately, she ended up sleeping well, but that could have been happening so much earlier if I had just bit the bullet and let her cry a bit. Anyway, that's our experience, it's been 1 week and his sleep is much, much improved Good luck ladies!

33. Meagan2014

coffee bean / 28 posts

@CHASTENET How many times did you feed your LO through-out the night before? Currently my lo will wake up and fuss for a while. Once I go in and feed him, he will go back to sleep right away. The past couple of nights its only been a couple of times but only eats for like 10mins max.

34. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

Can you believe we have 6 month olds?! Where has the time gone? How's everyone doing?

35. beachbee

kiwi / 673 posts

@BadgerMom: it's hard to believe we have 6-month olds!! I have been absent for the last few months and I'm so happy you posted a check-in! We've had an awful time with illnesses, both DD1 and DD2 have had colds/croup/stomach viruses off and on. Then my DH and I get them and it just keeps recirculating. I try to keep DD1 away from the baby when she is sick, but that is pretty much impossible since she's so obsessed with her

Sleep is hit or miss around our house. Some nights they both sleep well, and other nights we have as many as five wake ups apiece. There no rhyme or reason, I thought it was the 4 month regression, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't last two months!! We've tried everything we can think of and it just doesn't seem to help, so I've just gotten used to going to bed prepared to wake up again in an hour. So I'm pretty much a walking zombie these days

We started solids a couple weeks ago when LO turned 6 months. So far she's had avocado, banana, squash, and pears. We're dealing with a bit of constipation the last few days, which we never encountered with DD1, so that has me a bit worried. I'm hoping its just her body getting used to processing the solids and it catches up soon. She is obviously having painful poops and they've been coming out in hard balls, poor baby.

I must say it is getting both easier and harder to have the girls so close in age. So much easier now that DD2 can sit unassisted and I don't have to hold on to her 24-7. But harder in that I really still have to be there all the time to make sure DD2 isn't giving her something she's not supposed to have there's not really any freedom to step away from them for a minute and know they're fine! It's been so fun watching then grow closer together as they e been able to sit and play with each other.

How's everyone doing? Any new holiday traditions you're thinking of starting with the babies?

36. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

Gahh... The computer just ate my whole (long winded) response.

We've been lucky on the sickness side so far. Knock on wood. We're just getting over our (meaning all of us ha!) daycare crud/cold. Hopefully we'll get a bit of a break before the next one but I'm not counting on it.

Sleep has been a little strange for us too since the 4 month sleep regression. We sleep trained a couple weeks ago, which did wonders for falling asleep at night and for naps, but our mornings are still a little weird. He doesn't really have a consistent body wake time and he's definitely not making it to our desired wake time. Since about 4 months, he'll sleep a solid 10 hours and then may or may not go back to sleep for another hour or two (sometime he was always doing before). I've been leaving him in his crib until our desired wake time, but he doesn't seem to be getting the hint. I'm hoping it gets better with time, but who knows.

We've been doing solids in earnest now for a couple of weeks. He loves both purees and finger foods but his favorite is what I'm dubbing the baby parfait (plain yogurt, fruit puree, and baby oatmeal cereal all mixed together). The sippy cup on the other hand is another store. He looks at it like it's the devil and gags every time he gets even the tiniest bit out of it. (I'm open to any tips or tricks here )

As far as milestones go, we're working on sitting and crawling. He's getting better by the day, but he's still pretty wobbly without tripod-ing. He is so funny because I'll put him into the sitting position and he gets to excited to see his feet that his legs just start kicking and then he goes tumbling down! I thought we'd have a crawler by Christmas, but now I'm not so sure. He's been getting up on all fours and rocking for a couple weeks but he only moves in reverse. I'm a little worried about the fact that he's not babbling consonants yet (I know I shouldn't be but I can't help it). We get lots of cooing and "Uh!" and "Ah!" but no consonants.

I'm not killing myself with any holiday traditions this year. I decided a couple weeks ago my energy would probably be better spent gearing up for somethings next year. I'm hoping to collect enough Christmas books for an advent calendar and possibly get an elf on the shelf.

And just for good measure, this shows you were reverse crawling gets us...

37. BadgerMom

persimmon / 1385 posts

If anyone here is interested, they started a Summer 2014 thread!

http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/summer-2014-moms-and-babies?replies=32#post-2009989

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee