Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@brownepiano: We are in the 6-week growth spurt too, I think. I haven't had the breastfeeding hunger everyone talks about until now!

@meadow: Good luck! It shouldn't be too difficult since they are already sleeping on a flat surface. And good luck with your visit, I like your thinking with controlling the amount of time spent

We have been doing a bath every night, mainly because she LOVES it and it calms her down for bedtime. But I also only have 1 baby and no other kids

2. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@MrsKRB: yeah......I think the location switch is going to throw them for a loop. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Love that your DD likes her baths......my twins wake up during baths and 50% of the time cry......so a little less rewarding 😛😛

3. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Success!

Something I'm curious about is how long everyone's BF sessions are. I didn't want to make a new thread.....so here's an external poll......

http://vote.pollcode.com/35932914

I know my guys feed for a long time....but I'm curious what's average in our group for roughly the same age kids...

Thx!

4. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@meadow: probably 30-40 minutes, although she is starting to getting to a little more efficient. And yay for success!

5. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: I'm glad it went well.

My guy is done in under 10 min most of the time, but I know that's not the norm. I've tried to get him to go longer and he just doesn't!

6. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

I'm trying to keep up, read along, but things are so busy now that I'm full time back at school (out of the house 7:30 to 6:15 or so... yuck). I want to quit pumping and this is only day 6. :o
    I think the main reason I'm not quitting yet is I don't want to have to carry bottles around on the weekend when I'm with her.

For the survey, I voted 10-20 minutes.... because she nurses like 12 minutes for a side... sleeps a bit and then wakes up for the other side. So I nurse like twice in 3 hours, but they're only 20 minutes apart, so it occupies about 45 minutes of lap time, if that makes any sense.@brownepiano: My son was fast like that... 3 minutes a side or something nuts. I had crazy active letdown at that time.
    Also, at 7 weeks I think we're way faster than even 2 weeks ago.

7. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@Alba4: 5 hours!!! <3! I got my first 4 1/2 stretch last night!

8. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@pastemoo: thx & wow that's got to be tough being back already!!! And hooray for sleep!!!!!!

9. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

DS had some scary choking incidents yesterday/ last night. So I was back reading about reflux online. I suspected it a month ago but chalked it up to him being a happy spitter with an immature stomach - 36w4d preemie made sense that something like that could be a bit under developed.

But now I'm suspecting silent reflux. We have our 2 month visit at the ped tomorrow so I'll bring it up. I want him to be well..and more comfortable.....but I don't love the option to medicate nor the option to do an elimination diet...so I don't know what I'm hoping for...

10. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

On a completely different note..... my belly us way darker than pre-preg. Not just my Linea nigra....but my whole tummy has more color...like a serious tan!!! This happen to anyone else?

11. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@meadow: Oh no Hopefully you get answers today! And YES, my stomach is darker too! My linea negra is going away, but my stomach and belly button look tan, so strange!

12. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@MrsKRB: glad I'm not the only one!!! It's so weird. Preggers- my skin was so white it was basically see through and now it's so brown!!

13. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

2 month appointment done!! we survived the shots....whew!!!

the doctor decided DS didn't need medicine & he will grow out of his issues. The choking is when he gets food in his nose.

We put my DD on her belly during the exam and she hopped like a frog....both legs at once....we all laughed!! It was so cute. My DS went on his belly and fell asleep...no showing off. Funny because he can move!! But he looked sooooooooooooo cute sleeping on his tummy!!

I think I heard the beginnings of a giggle coming from DD's crib this morning.....oh boy it was so precious...can't wait for laughing!!

14. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: Aw! I've been getting lots of smiles and taking but no laughing yet either.

15. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

getting the starts of laughing (2 months is coming up this week!!).
    got our first "diaper rash." we were being so vigilant, but then i smelled it. i'm in charge of bath/shower and i guess i didn't realize how big her rolls have gotten. armpit rash!! boo!! got some cream for it and hoping it clears up real soon.
    baby a does the frog hop, too
    i'm looking tan-bellied, too. i think it's just because there was so much skin, all the color is "condensed" if you will, into less space than it was before. the worst/darkest part is the "underbelly" above my pubic bone! so weird.

16. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@pastemoo: can't wait for laughs! I think we are getting the start of something too! We are also getting a little rash by her elbow joint, I think it's because she has then bunched up all night in her woombie.

Does anyone here have luck putting their lo's to sleep 'drowsy but awake'? We Absolutely cannot, I'm convinced dd will stay awake all night if we would let her. I'm asking because we went away with family, and they are all saying they did that with their children (20+years ago), and they're making me feel really guilty! It can't be that uncommon to rock your child until they are comprise before putting them down right? LOL. The other thing I have started doing which I never thought I would is bed share! I have been side-nursing dd in bed and then just falling asleep with her. I love the bonding and I think I get more unbroken sleep, but I don't really want to start that habit,

17. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: I've been having a really hard time getting to sleepy but awake this week. He goes from sleepy to immediately mad as soon as I go in a dark room. I think it's a wonder week thing. I suspect it will get better as he gets older. I think I had the same problem with DS 1 but it is actually hard to remember!

18. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@MrsKRB: Yes but only because if you move her off you, she is no longer awake! I give her the pacifier, which she now can take for 1-2 minutes, and then she falls asleep.
    And we cosleep till like 4am, and bedshare after that or else it would be 4am wake ups. And I can literally feel her belly breathing against mine so I don't worry about it.

19. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@MrsKRB: do whatever works for you and don't worry about bad habits that mah or may not form! I rocked and nursed My first to sleep for a long time and at 2.5 she has no issue putting herself to sleep! DD2 can put herself to sleep already because sometimes she just has no choice. I'm anti CIO personally, but I can't always get to her right away when she starts fussing, so after 2-3 minutes of it she usually is out by the time I reach her. It's a blessing to some extent, but I also feel guilty! I try to make up for it by letting her nap on me whenever possible!

I don't think drowsy but awake is a bad goal to work towards, but I wouldn't expect it to work right away either...

20. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@brownepiano: I hope it is something that gets easier with age!

@pastemoo: A pacifier would be so helpful, unfortunately she won't take one - I've tried them all!

@catomd00: Thank you for that reminder, I don't mind having to rock her to sleep (most of the time), I just have to not let others make me feel guilty for that!

21. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@MrsKRB: Bummer. She only just starting taking one in the last 2 weeks (since I've been back to school)--and even still, only for a minute or two.

@catomd so right! Too early to worry about bad habits!

22. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Almost every night DS will wake up while I'm feeding DD. While I guess I could unlatch her & pick him up to either tandem feed (still hard to position solo) or at least comfort him next to me.........I'd rather DH jumped in. He is usually good at hearing the cries on the monitor and stumbling in. Now, he likes to take DS to the playmat in the livingroom & turn on the music & lights bc this is one of DS's favorite things during the day. Personally I think this is too much stimulation for 2/3am. Before I get all "mommy knows best" on him.......do you guys think this could be what makes it harder for him to sleep? (Also at least 50% of the time he had just eaten before his sister and SHOULD have been put back to sleep but I wind up feeding him again after DH playtime because he is awake and usually still fussy.) Or should I just leave it be because mom & dad will always have some different techniques & that's good for baby...

23. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@meadow: there should be minimal lights and stimulation in the MOTN in my opinion. That would annoy me to no end!

24. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: No lights at night for us. we even change DS with no lights on. If he smells poopy then I turn on a really low light to see.

25. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@meadow: definitely limited interaction/stimulation at night so that they learn nighttime is for sleeping. Same as @brownepiano I only change her if she pooped and I keep it dark with no talking.

26. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@catomd00: @brownepiano: @MrsKRB: thanks!!! I was second guessing if I was being too strict for 2 month olds. Glad to hear you guys are in the same boat. I do change before every feeding at night & I take them out of the nursery because 50% of our diaper changes (morning or night) involve intense screaming & I don't want to wake the other baby. So they wind up with dim lights as I go to the livingroom changing station... but nothing like the playmat!

27. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: I've even started feeding DS in the dark during the day because I think he's getting distracted by everything to see.

28. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@brownepiano: oh wow!!! That takes commitment!

29. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: I've been hoping it helps his 45 min naps but it doesn't seem to be doing much good yet.

30. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

Ladies: how long did your pp bleeding last? I have very light spotting and I'm 7.5 weeks pp.

31. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@Alba4: 4 ish weeks. But then I went for my 6 week check up and started the mini pill and had a very light period almost immediately.

32. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@Alba4: mine ended right around my 6 week visit.

33. Purpledaisy

nectarine / 2973 posts

@meadow: I would keep it as dark as possible at night and avoid anything stimulating. I feel that it helps them separate night from day. I definitely don't want anyone getting the wrong idea and thinking that night time is play time!

@Alba4: I think mine ended around 5 weeks both times.

34. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@Alba4: I thought I was done at 6 weeks pp....then 2 days later it started back up...I'd say 8 or 9. I'm 10.5 weeks now & still wearing a panty liner- spotting about 2x a day

35. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

We only change diapers overnight if there's poop too.

PP bleeding ended around the 6 week mark. So glad to be free of pads and pantiliners!

36. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Very interesting about the night time diapers......

37. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@starlitsky: with DS1, We didnt change the diapers overnight unless there's poop as well, but DS2 pees so much. He has the puffiesr pee diapers in a 3 hour period, so we've been changing them. Luckily he settles back down easily for us.

Baby L is starting to stretch to regular 4-5 hour periods of sleep at night... At least for now. All I know is that sleep is always changing for babies. You have good and bad periods!

38. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@Alba4: Actually my LO pees a lot too! I feel like his diaper is always sporting a blue line. But he seems to be ok so far overnight without leaking. What's a pug first diaper?

We've also been getting to 4-5 hour stretches at night, finally! But after the initial longer stretch it's usually 2-3 hour stretches until he wakes up for the day. Is that "normal"/expected?

39. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@starlitsky: typo! Should say the "puffiest pee diaper".

And to your sleep question- it is normal! We love the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. We use it as a guideline.

40. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@starlitsky: Same here! The first stretch is the longest, and then she is up every 2 hours.

Has anyone been successful with an earlier bedtime? LO absolutely will not go to bed earlier than 930/10 (and that's a good night), is an earlier bedtime just something that comes as they get older?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee