Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Mrs. Pickle

blogger / wonderful cherry / 21628 posts

My MIL is leaving today, which means DH and I are on our own for the first time! I know we can handle it. He's got 2 weeks off now and I'm so excited.

2. BSB

hostess / wonderful apple seed / 16729 posts

@hilsy85: DD has been spitting up for a few weeks but she doesn't look in pain or uncomfortable. I actually said to the DH that she looks cute when she spits or throws up.
    Anyway, I've seen the spit up where it's curdled and spit up where it's not. I do the corner of the mouth poke to see if she is still hungry. If she opens up her mouth like she ready for a bottle, then she's hungry. Usually she is so i'll give the rest of her bottle.

3. BSB

@Mrs. Pickle: yeah, I'm able to get some milk pumped. It's gradually increasing.
    Oh, my MIL left this morning, too. We've been alone between the visits I had from my mom, sister and brother. I'm feeling rested and feel like we have a routine. Though we have to go back to our 2 person routine. It was nice having a 3 person routine for the last 2 weeks.

4. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

I'll catch up eventually! Gemma is settling in well and sleeping pretty good. She's already up 2 ounces from leaving the hospital, only 4 ounces away from birth weight.

I'm up for a fb group!

Hope everyone's los keep doing well!

5. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@bluestriped bee: I'm not sure if painful gas is colic but I think if he's crying more than 3 hours a day for more than 3 days a week for more than 3 weeks in a row is the rule..I think. My dd definitely went through a stage like that. I'm hoping ds avoids it. All the things you listed are all the things we tried too. We also had luck with changing formula and dr browns bottles. We're using the same formula and bottles with ds (gerber good start and dr browns) but I am already over the pieces. And good for you pumping as much as you did/are. I'm down to 2 a day, not sure when I'll stop that. I've just been going with it with all our germs but I probably won't have much milk for much longer.

ETA I dressed ds in a 3 month outfit today and it fit pretty well! I can't believe it either.

6. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@hilsy85: Oh my goodness, that sounds SO tiring. Was he sttn before your daughter was born? When my daughter wants us to stay with her I usually suggest an alternative or just say in sort of an upbeat way, no silly, mommy doesn't stay here while you're sleeping! Do you want the door open or shut? And she will always pick open so she knows we're nearby. I really hope he sleeps better soon!

About the spit up, I just go with if he's fussing and not burping/acting hungry, I give him the bottle back if there's anything in it.

7. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: Good luck! It should be nice to have some family bonding time.

8. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@MamaBear87: Glad to hear you're doing well! Take your time, the first week or so is such a blur!

9. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@2littlepumpkins: he was pretty much regularly STTN before DD...which makes me think that it is somewhat baby related? He is totally reasonable about it during the day when we discuss it, but hysterical in the MOTN. We had a long talk about it at bedtime today so we'll see.

10. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

As for us, no more fevers, but dd and I have a cold, and we aren't quite sure if ds has it since he gets congested a lot. He has been coughing a bit the past couple days, and sneezing more than usual and sounding more congested than usual. I kept dd home today and she is off on Friday so only has preschool Wednesday this week, and hopefully we can all recover! We have managed to get out of the house pretty much every day so that is helping me keep my sanity!

@mamabear87: @bluestriped bee: @charm54: @novbaby1112: @hilsy85: I'll try to see if I can set up a secret fb group and find you all and whoever else wants to join! Maybe tomorrow!!

@Mrs. Pickle: Yay, I will add you when you get the chance to wall me!

11. jodyblair

kiwi / 611 posts

I can't believe it's taken me so long to join this thread!

G is 3 weeks old today and is such a sweet little guy. He's super snuggly and I've been trying to enjoy all the newborn cuddles as much as I can. Not the easiest with a 2 1/2 year old who needs my undivided attention RUGHT. THIS. SECOND. So far, he's been a pretty easy newborn...let's hope I didn't just jinx us! He's been sleeping anywhere from 3-5 hour stretches at night which has been really nice. Nursing is going well, aside from having an over active letdown. It hasn't caused too many issues, other than DS choking a little bit or pulling off frequently. Sometimes he's able to handle it without a problem, but other times it causes him to have a lot of gas. I know it will just take time for him to get used it but it can be so frustrating (and messy!)

I'd love to have a Facebook group or follow some of the October mamas on IG!

12. Mrs. Pickle

@jodyblair: I'm dealing with an overactive letdown too. DD will choke or pull off with most feedings. I get milk everywhere if I'm not quick enough with a burp cloth!

13. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: @jodyblair: Ditto on the overactive let down. My right side seems to be getting worse too, where there used to be 2 projectile sprays there are now 4 or 5! I am usually feeding LO on left first since the right is too much so I let the breast pad catch it.

Also, I can feel the milk letting down 1-2x between feeding (still feeding every 3 hrs on average) does this happen to you guys too??

14. Mrs. Pickle

@hellobeeboston: yes! The crazy thing is I don't actually feel it while she nurses but I do feel it when it's been about 2 hours since the last feeding.

15. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: I feel it for sure. It's a very strong borderline painful tingly feeling. It hurts more when I'm not nursing than when I am!

16. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

I'd be interested in a Facebook group too.

We've had a rough couple of days as far as sleep goes and now LO1 has a cough and a fever so it doesn't look like it'll be getting too much better anytime soon. Between both of their wake ups and pumping, both DH and I are exhausted.

I'm pumping 8-9 times a day and it appears in getting anywhere from 2-4oz per session depending on how long it's been since the last one. I'm not sure if that's good or not? She acts interested in nursing sometimes so I try but she just gets frustrated and angry.

My MIL left last Tuesday so I've had both kids since then. I'm glad DH is off on Fridays and that LO1 has preschool three mornings a week though.

I stay at home so no going back to work, just adjusting to our new normal.

17. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: @hellobeeboston: yep overactive letdown here too--my letdown is actually painful, it feels like a fist is grabbing my boob!

18. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@BelugaBean: that sounds like a pretty good amount! Considering I think they only eat like 2-3oz at a time at this age?

19. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: my mom left early this morning! I know we'll have more visitors soon but she's such a help! I'm gonna miss her especially when DH goes back to work!
    @hilsy85: oh man. Not looking forward to any regressions from R. She's at school today and tomorrow so I'm totally rocking this mom to 2 thing with just the newborn for this morning! 😂
    @2littlepumpkins: gah, the sick older kid thing is already freaking me out! DD1 had a thing on her lip and it came it of nowhere so I got freaked it was a cold sore, but now it's almost gone. Hoping it was just a cut!
    @jodyblair: due to DD2 being in the NICU, I had been pumping a ton so now that she's home and not eating as much as I was pumping, I'm super full/rock hard and she has a super hard time latching with the milk coming out immediately. I'm having a pump a bit afterward just so I'm not exploding! Hoping we can get regulated soon!
    @hellobeeboston: my milk has been coming out almost immediately at this point so I don't feel any letdown yet!
    @BelugaBean: that sounds like a good amount to pump to me! How much is she eating at a time? Preschool for DD1 is a lifesaver right now!

We brought DD2 home last night! 🙌 So happy to not have to juggle going back to the hospital several times a day and just be able to hang with the girls. She actually gained 2 oz in the hospital due to all the IV fluids, so we'll see how that levels out. First night home was a bit long because we got cocky and tried to wait for DD2 to wake for a feeding before going to bed and she had a 3 hour stretch after cluster feeding from 6-8! So we didn't try to sleep til midnight, when she cluster fed again for 2.5 hours. Oops. Rookie mistake. 😜 Looking forward to getting to know her more!

I'm in for a FB group and happy to share my insta with anyone that wants it!

20. Charm54

cantaloupe / 6885 posts

@2littlepumpkins: yay FB is a great idea! Let me know! I don't want to post my IG on here because it's my first/last name but I will wall it to whoever wants, or will put it on the FB group when we get one up and going

@hellobeeboston: I never knew what that tingly feeling between feedings was but I get it too!

@BelugaBean: that's amazing you are able to pump so much, and that output is excellent! I am only pumping 5-6x a day now, my supply seems to have stabiliZed and I get 26oz a day (it's weird but I have gotten 26oz on the dot for the past 10 days!) ...J is only eating about 20oz so I'm able to start a small freezer stash

@birdofafeather: so glad you are home!! Hope you are able to settle in as a family of 4 now

We went to the LC today for a checkup ...J is gaining well, she's in the 97th percentile for height and weight ! At least she's proportionate haha. She has a funny rash on her chest though that I might take her to the Dr tomorrow for. I hate rashes, it's so hard to tell what's no big deal, and what's concerning.

also, she started smiling! At first I thought it was a fluke but then she did it for my dad and DH..now she does it a few times a day as long as she's in the right mood. It melts my heart!!

21. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@2littlepumpkins: hope you all feel better soon!! I agree about getting out of house, it's been so mild and nice out a daily walk really helps

@jodyblair: glad to hear from you and that things are going well with you little man! Mine is such a snuggler too I love it!

@BelugaBean: hope your LO feels better soon! I think that's a great amount! I started pumping 8-10 times a day but now I'm down to 6-7 times and am getting around 5oz each session. At that age my LO was only eating around 2-3oz so I think yours sounds like plenty!

@birdofafeather: so happy your sweet LO is home!! What a relief that must be.

C has been sleeping longer stretches at night which has been awesome, but if I learned anything from my first is that sleep is constantly changing so I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts I'm so curious how much he weighs now but we don't go back to pedi until nov 16.

22. jodyblair

kiwi / 611 posts

@hellobeeboston: Definitely feeling letdown I'm between feedings too! It's so strange and pretty uncomfortable!

@birdofafeather: Glad to hear you were able to bring her home!

@Charm54: Awwww baby smiles are the best! DS smiles as he's falling asleep and it makes me melt every time.

Anyone else's LO not nursing very frequently? DS goes sometimes as long as 4 hours during the day without nursing (and would go longer if I didn't wake him and make him nurse!). He has plenty of wet and poopy diapers, so I'm pretty sure he's getting enough to eat, but it just makes me nervous that he goes so long without eating! We go to the pediatrician next week for his one month check up, so I'll probably feel better once I hear how much weight he has gained.

23. BSB

@2littlepumpkins: Do you mind if I setup the Facebook group? I can set you up as an admin, too. I'm on Facebook like all the time. Hehe.

24. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@bluestriped bee: absolutely not, go for it! I don't care who is admin!

Catching up with the other comments.. Currently trying to get ds to sleep.

25. Mrs. Pickle

@birdofafeather: yay for DD2 coming home!

26. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

How long did the engorgment last for you ladies? Basically today was day 1 for us and my boobs are hurting! Using boobie tubes and a hand pump for comfort but trying to remember how long this lasted and have no idea! Hoping S ups her intake soon to help me out!

27. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@birdofafeather: it was just a few days for me. Maybe even just 2 days, then it leveled out.

28. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@birdofafeather: seemed like forever for me, but I think I also developed a plugged duct. Once that cleared (took 2 days or so) I felt much better! Maybe by 10 days pp, so a week after my milk came in?

29. BSB

@2littlepumpkins: @Charm54: @birdofafeather: @BelugaBean: @jodyblair: @MamaBear87:

Ok FB group created. I'll wall you guys the info.

30. BSB

@hilsy85: I'll wall you the FB group info.

31. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@jodyblair: I am paranoid and wake LO up after 3-3.5 hours during day if he hasn't woken to eat. I'm sure he's getting enough but I'm just worried more about letting him sleep too long during day! Mine usually eats wvery 2.5-3 hours during day

@birdofafeather: mine only lasted 1-2 days thank goodness! Hope yours gets better soon!

@bluestriped bee: awesome, thanks!!

32. BSB

@NovBaby1112: No problem. I just wall'd you the info.

33. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@bluestriped bee: can't find it for some reason...? is there a way to invite me? I can wall you my name.

34. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@bluestriped bee: Thanks for setting it up!

35. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@bluestriped bee: can you send me the info too please?!

We're doing a lot better over here! I took a walk with a friend who also has a baby and we went to lunch and it went quite well. Anyone else's baby have a mummy preference? I feel bad for my hubby because she gets cranky quickly quite often when he is holding her, but I think I have been giving him to her at bad times too. I also don't know if she is having some gas problems?

@birdofafeather: mine only lasted a day.

36. Treytonsmom2011

coffee bean / 47 posts

Hi girls! Sorry I have been MIA lately....life with a 4.5yo in Preschool and a nb is crazy!! Plus life on the farm is busy too with fall harvest and I'm left wondering where the days have gone! I usually manage to catch up every few days but rarely have time to post anything, typing one-handed on the laptop is tough and I can't always get HB to load on my phone.
    DS2 is 5.5wks old already! Time has FLOWN BY! I've started putting him in some 0-3 mo/3mo clothes already because he's getting too long for the nb ones. Especially sleepers and pants. He tends to go 3-4 hrs during the day and 4-5.5 hours at night between feedings. There is no waking him up to eat and if you do, he will refuse to go back to sleep for 2-3 hrs afterwards and is just unhappy...throwing himself around and fussing. So we let him eat/sleep on his schedule. He's gaining well so I'm not worried about it.
    @birdofafeather: engorgement for me lasted about 2 weeks or so...it was ROUGH for a while....I would get soo uncomfortable that I would end up pumping in between feedings, but after a couple weeks it went away....to the point that I thought I was losing my supply because all of the sudden I wasn't engorged at all. I had a mental breakdown thinking I had dried up and would have to switch to formula. I still occasionally get a bit engorged if he goes too long at night or if I'm out and about and don't have the chance to nurse. Usually around 5.5-6 hrs I start getting uncomfortable and then it's a little harder for him to latch. I pump on occasion if he only eats on 1 side and then falls asleep and goes too long. I'll just pump the off side and get about 3oz or so in a 10-15min pump with just the initial letdown.
    Speaking of letdowns....man they are painful sometimes. And I have a fairly overactive/forceful letdown, especially on the left side which causes C to pop off spitting and sputtering and coughing which then results in milk spraying everywhere and him getting a facial. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row until he can get caught up with it. Messy for sure!

37. mrsjenbug

grape / 91 posts

@bluestriped bee: can you wall me too? I'd love to join!

38. BSB

@Mrs. Goose: @mrsjenbug: wall'd you.

39. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@bluestriped bee: weird, I tried searching for it but nothing comes up.

40. BSB

@Mrs. Goose: yeah, some of you are having trouble seeing the group. I have no idea why others can find it and some can't. I've been able to add members if they are my FB friend. I'll wall you with my name, so you can friend me and then be added to the group.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee