Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

September 2014 Mamas - Name ideas!

1. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@SweetiePie: whaaaa?? YAY! Congrats on your boy!

2. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@LatteLove is apparently my buddy on these, since we're team green and not sharing names too. But I'll be lurking on here, partially for ideas! We have a 100% girl middle name, which is also where her nickname will come from. We also have a second girl first name (also where the nickname will come from), and since we're only having 2, if we have a boy first and then a girl we'll just combine them and that'll be her name. If we have a girl first I don't want to "waste" the second one in case we have a second girl, even though it'll never get used if our second is a boy. Does all that make sense?

We're struggling with a girl first name to go with the middle name we've picked out though, and we have NO boy names. We've been discussing baby names since long before we were married (so almost 10 years), but everything we picked out before has gotten super popular. Like we LOVED Liam, and back then no one used it, but now it's really common. Same with Madison, which has a lot of significance (we met in Madison county, AL, my mom's family is all from Madison, TN), but we really dislike common names. We've also moved towards ones that are less traditional in general.

Also, it kind of amuses me that some of ya'll are picking biblical names, when that's the main thing we won't even consider. I was raised fundamentalist, turned atheist, and it just sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I love some of the names, just don't like the association, especially since my family uses almost exclusively biblical names. My cousin's kids are Rebecca (Becca), Nathaniel (Nate), Elijah (Eli), and Ruth (Ruthie). All super cute names, just not our thing.

3. Mrs. Jump Rope

blogger / coconut / 8306 posts

@Torchwood: we are still arguing over boy names here! I'm jealous that you've got names picked already!

4. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: At this point I'm just really hoping for a girl so we don't have to pick a boy name.

Also, I forgot to mention that a first boy MUST have the middle name Ray. It's a family thing with DH, and not optional even though neither of us love it. Given that our last name is Smith, coming up with something that works with Ray (my grandfather's name is Bobby, and we're joking that we'll name him Bobby Ray) AND isn't super common is tough.

Also, meant to tell you, growing up I always loved the name Charlotte and wished it was my name. It's my grandmother's middle name too.

One last thing, anyone have thoughts on a girl name that Milly could be short for? We wouldn't use it as a nickname, but my deceased grandmother's name was Milly, so I'd like something that was a tribute to her without just being that by itself.

5. Mrs. Jump Rope

@Torchwood: I have a great aunt named Amelia that everyone called Millie!

6. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

@Torchwood: I agree with @Mrs. Jump Rope: Amelia! Also, there's a socialite in the UK who's first name is Camilla but she goes by 'Millie' - her name is Millie Mackintosh.

7. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Littlebit: My cousin JUST named her daughter Camilla, a little less than a month ago. Normally I wouldn't really care with a cousin, but given that it's not like it was ever on our list, I think it'd be a little weird.

And Amelia, unfortunately, is another character from the same source as our first girl name, which I just don't like to do. But I appreciate the ideas! I hadn't thought of either of them!

8. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@torchwood would you not consider just naming her Milly? I think it is adorable. I mean, there is always Mildred but.. that's a bit old fashioned in my opinion.

9. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@psw27: DH doesn't like it, and it doesn't work at all with either of the primary girl names we've picked out. And I do have a great aunt Mildred, but not a huge fan. I did read a book once with a horse named Millefleur, and that stuck with me, but DH is NOT okay with it, and I don't love it enough to fight for it.

10. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Torchwood: Mrs. Jumprope mentioned she and her DH liked the name Mila - that could be short for Milly. Camellia and Camille also work. Pamela. Melanie. Melody. Mirabelle. Mirabella. Madeleine.

11. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@gingerbebe: Those are some good ones to consider! (Sorry for the delayed reply.)

We're constantly back and forth on boy names. We'd just about agreed on Gaius, and DH still really likes it, but now I feel like I can't go with it. We're really big Battlestar Galactica fans, and he argues that just because there's a character with that name doesn't mean that if we name a boy Gaius that he's named after the character. But I just think there's no way around that perception, and it's not a character that I'd want my kid named after. Also, I really want a name with a couple good nicknames, and Gaius Ray doesn't leave much to work with. (I changed my name multiple times. Growing up I was Beth, switched to Michelle (middle name) in 8th grade, Elizabeth briefly, Lizzie in high school, and finally settled on Liz for the last 10+ years. I know most people don't do that, but it was REALLY important to me to be able to, so I don't want to take that choice away from a kid.)

12. Mrs. Jump Rope

@Torchwood: it's so hard when the name you like is associated with another person or character!

My sister in law was pestering me on names yesterday & had something to say about every name we suggested. I said I liked Blake, and she said oh! after Blake Shelton?! I was like uh who? Do I look like I listen to country music?

I said I also liked Jared & she goes "ohh after the subway guy! Or he went to jaaaared!" Noooope. Definitely Jared Leto. Ha.

My husband said we like Charlotte for a girl and she goes "aw, all C names just like the Duggars did! And both girls names would start with a Ch-!" Fuck. NO. Just a name we liked.

13. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: Yea this is why we either aren't telling people or only asking for advice from people we know won't do this!

14. Mrs. Jump Rope

@T.H.O.U.: seriously! I finally said "you know, when it comes down to it, everyone is going to have an opinion and I simply don't give a shit." LOL

But damn. Shut your mouth!

15. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: I love that attitude!!! I need to feel that way more - my mom didn't love our name immediately when I told her (it's a family name on my husband's side) and I have definitely cried about it as well as am now considering completely abandoning it (we've dreamed of naming our boy this since we started dating 6 years ago). Don't they know we are hormonal crazy pants??

16. Mrs. Jump Rope

@BakerBee: I really do live in a bubble of not caring. It makes life easier

My FIL said he didn't like Chloe because her first name and our last name both end in the -ee sound. I didn't even notice until he pointed it out. Then I realized that my mil and SIL also have the -ee sound and pointed that out, which apparently no one else had ever noticed before BECAUSE IT DOESNT MATTER.

So, I rest my case. Who freaking cares?

ETA: my first name and my husbands first name rhymes. And my maiden name rhymes with my married name. Should I be changing our legal names now? LOL

17. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: My mom's other issue is similar - she said that the baby's first and middle name would both be two syllables and she preferred two then one. I then started counting the syllables on all these people (INCLUDING MYSELF) and noted that this doesn't seem to really be a legit thing. My name is two then two and she named me!

In reality, I've never met someone that I've thought to myself "hmmm there middle name is too long" or "I would like there name better in reverse." When I first heard my cousin's son's name I thought it should be there reverse (it's a double name). I kept my mouth shut and now I think the reverse way sounds weird. You get used to names really quick.

All of this is assuming you aren't naming your child something like Ass Hat.

18. Mrs. Jump Rope

@BakerBee: you're right, Hat Ass would be an awful name.

Everyone has their little hang ups on names. My nana wanted to name one of her sons Christopher but didn't because she was afraid everyone at school would tease him & call him Christopher Columbus. Really?! This made me laugh so hard. Maybe it was a thing in the 50s!?

I did consider syllables when choosing Chloe's name. Our last name is a mouthful, so I didn't want a big first and middle name, if that makes sense.

19. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: re: Charlotte--yeah, just like the Duggars except you're on child #2 instead of child #20. And, Charlotte and Chloe don't start with the same sounds. Every name has some kind of association unless you make up a completely new name. I asked DH what he thought of the name Tessa, and he immediately responded, "I have a cousin with that name." I'm like, you have a distant cousin whom we never see and her name is TeSHa, not Tessa...but I guess that name is probably out now.

@Torchwood: I knew someone who named her sons Gaius and Gideon, and well, it was awesome! I especially love Gaius!

20. Mrs. Jump Rope

@Pancakes: I suggested Christopher and my husband said they've got a cousin with that name.

Really?? We've been together 8 years and this cousin has never once been mentioned and wasn't invited to our wedding, but you're vetoeing a name because you've got a cousin you never see with the same name? Ohhhhkay.

21. Mrs. Jump Rope

I just got an "I actually don't hate that!" on Evan.

22. T.H.O.U.

@Mrs. Jump Rope: Ohhh Evan is one of my top choices. DH isn't so sure but I've kept it on the list for a while now !

23. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: I Evan! I knew a guy in high school who ruined it for me (ugh, if you have a good name please try not to suck), but I still like the name for other people!

24. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: @T.H.O.U.: @BakerBee: so funny, my husband doesn't hate 'Evan' either! I doubt it's what we'll end up going with, though since we have others we like a bit more.

25. Mrs. Jump Rope

Any middle name ideas for Charlotte?

My husband dislikes Grace and I'm not loving Mae. Our last name starts with a Ja- sound so we are ruling out J names & prefer one syllable.

Chloe's middle name is Anne, so that's out too!

26. T.H.O.U.

@Mrs. Jump Rope: what about:

Brooke (girl)
    Claire (girl)/Clare (girl) / Clara
    Elle (girl)
    Eve (girl)
    Faith (girl)
    Grace (girl)
    Hope (girl)
    Kate (girl)
    Maeve (girl)
    Paige (girl)
    Quinn (girl)
    Reese (girl)
    Rose (girl)
    Ruth (girl)
    Skye (girl)

27. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

@T.H.O.U.: oh! I love Charlotte Rose!

28. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

Anyone else still debating names? We just found out it's a boy - and we have no idea! Our girl name was set. Yesterday while brainstorming we got a couple ideas. Just as an FYI - the C doesn't stand for anything. His middle name would just be the initial. My husbands middle name and his dad are both that. He's not set on passing it on, but it's a possibility.

Dylan C
    Elliot C
    Edward Mason
    Patrick Raymond

Patrick and Edward are both family names, so we could use a middle name other than 'C' since we're doing family for first name. He wants at least one aspect to be family related.

I also love Hunter and Grant, but he doesn't LOVE them.

29. Mrs. Jump Rope

@Littlebit: I love Dylan and Elliot!!!

30. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: me too!! Elliot is my favorite I think. Just emailed him the following:

Patrick Raymond
    Hunter Raymond
    Grant C
    Elliot Raymond
    Elliot C
    Elliot Patrick
    Dylan C
    Dylan Patrick
    Edward Mason

31. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

aw I love Elliott @littlebit. I think we are set on names, but DH goes back and forth about if he wants a junior. (I don't like it...)

32. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

@psw27: I was worried my husband would want a third, because he's a junior...and I'm so glad he doesn't!! I hope your husband decides to stick with the other name!

33. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@psw27 @littlebit: My husband is a junior too, and almost definitely wanted a III, so I was somewhat relieved that the baby is a girl, just not to have to deal with that naming issue!

I love all your choices, @littlebit! Makes it tough because you really can't go wrong!

34. butterflyprism

coffee bean / 44 posts

We picked out baby names 8 years ago, about two months after we started dating. A boy would have been Adam Joel, which he picked and I'm not over the moon about. But since we're having a girl, her name is Charlotte Helen, which I picked and absolutely love.

35. Boogs

hostess / papaya / 10540 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: I live life with the same attitude, and fwiw is love both of your girl names! Too bad a kit Charlottle Grace, I love it for a middle name and want to live vicariously through you. But, another favorite is Rose and I think it goes well with Charlotte.

@Littlebit: I think Dylan is a great name, but it's more common than Elliot. Since that's your fav you should go with it.

We don't even have a list of names and it's driving me crazy that we have nothing. There's a name I really love, but we have a cousin with the same name and don't want him to feel like he can't have a jr one day if he wanted because we took his name, I know it sounds a little silly lol. It's more my worry, but I still like the name. And the middle name I liked another cousin is having a baby next month and using the same middle. Names are so hard!

36. Mrs. Jump Rope

@Boogs: I'm kind of leaning toward Mae, but we will see. It's growing on me!

For a boy, I love Blake. LOVEEEEE. Use that!

37. Boogs

hostess / papaya / 10540 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: Haha we watch The Voice, so it makes us think of Blake Shelton.

38. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@Boogs: I personally don't think it matters having the same middle name!

What do u guys think of Elijah? It's been on my mind lately. Does it sound too Jewish for a Korean boy? Lol.

39. T.H.O.U.

@tequiero21: Cute! But we did cut Levi for the same reason!

40. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@tequiero21: I love Elijah!

Also, I love being Korean-Presbyterian so that no matter what weird Biblical name we might go with my parents will nod and be like "very good Christian name." Although the pronunciation of something like Zechariah would get tricky. I had to explain to DH some names are just off the table because my parents wouldn't be able to pronounce them, like Frank or Fred. It blew his mind we didn't have an F sound in Korean and that it would become "Hoo-rank" or "Hoo-red."

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee