Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

September 2014 Mamas - Name ideas!

1. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@tequiero21: My cousin's youngest boy is named Elijah, and they call him Eli. I really like it. And I don't associate it with being Jewish, but I expect that's because my upbringing was 100% Christian and I've had zero interaction with any Jews (that I know of, so none that were particularly zealous). I don't think it would ever cross my mind for it to be weird for a Korean boy.

@T.H.O.U.: I feel dumb now, that I never made the connection to Judaism with Levi. Doh. I always think of jeans or Australia (we have a good friend who is Australian named Levi).

@gingerbebe: I never even thought about having family who speak a language that doesn't work with mine on names! Hoo-rank makes me laugh though. :)@tequiero21: @T.H.O.U.:

2. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@gingerbebe: lol! No f, no v. I am not a fan of Korean accents on those letters! I agree, better not to have it haha.

@Torchwood: haha hoo rank. I hate it! Lol. That's why mrs bee's mom calls olive , oh leeb oo... We got no v either. Some Koreans pronounce it with a p. So it's poo rank. Lol.

3. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I like Levi! I think it sounds less Jewish than Elijah lol.

4. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@tequiero21: @Torchwood:

Korean pronunciations make me laugh so hard. Imagine a poor girl named Vivian? Bee-bee-en. I remember the first time DH heard me tell my mom I wanted "hoo-renchy hoo-ries" (french fries) with my lunch. He about died.

DH has actually adopted a lot of my mom's weird Korean pronunciations in day to day life. He calls muffins "mul-pins," he calls ribs "leebs" like all the time. It cracks me up.

5. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@gingerbebe: youre so funny! U talk to your mom w the Korean pronunciation?! I say it the correct way n my parents know it. I used to always try n correct them n they would try to say it, spitting and all lol.

6. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@TEQUIERO21: I almost always speak in Korean to my parents so I sometimes I unwittingly just slip into Konglish when we're speaking. DH's favorite thing is when I'm on a Korean jag with my mom and out of nowhere I say things in perfect English. He jokes that listening to me on the phone with my mom sounds like this:

"Shabbalang, shabbalang, ah-nee, McDonald's. Uh. Uh. Uh. Shabbalang, shabbalang, shabbalang, ah-nee, Lexus. AH-NEE!!"

"Shabbalang" is another one of my mom-isms that he picked up. (She uses the term to describe situations where someone endlessly yaps at her and wont shut up and DH thinks its the best word he's ever heard.)

DH also thinks that we always sound like we're screaming at each other even if we're being perfectly friendly. He thinks my mom and I are fighting and then suddenly I will say "okay, bye, I love you."

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee