Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Any May 2013 mommies out there?

1. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

@anniegurumi: I've been getting more tired too. Are we officially in the 3rd trimester? I had breast pains in the first trimester but none recently... mainly lower back pain now.

When does the milk come in, does anyone know? Is it after the birth? I have to get back to reading the baby books...

Yikes, sorry to hear about your wedding photog! Hmm... I haven't thought about professional photography yet... what week is best to get that done? It looks like @mauri will be doing her session next month?

Have any of you guys started working on your registry yet? I got started and overwhelmed... it's hard to weed out what we need vs. what we want.

2. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@karma: Hi! I don't think there is a standard answer for milk coming in...I know a lot of people whose milk arrived the same day or day after giving birth but mine came in 9 days later. I hope it comes in earlier this time!

We are going to buy some nursery furniture on Monday!

3. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

@autumnlove: Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there was such a big range... Have fun nursery furniture shopping!

On a side note, is a changing table necessary? We live in an apartment and there's not much room in the nursery, other than a crib, shelf, and rocker/ottoman.

4. mjane

apricot / 444 posts

@karma: we are skipping the changing table and will get a secondhand bureau or ikea bureau and stick a changing pad on top. Our nursery is also super mini, plus we'll be converting it back to a study when we sublet. I have done a lot of talking to people about what the bare minimum of stuff we'll need is. Since we're temporarily relocating to Spain/Portugal for nine months in September, getting a managable amt of flexible and portable stuff is important. We did our registry last week and I feel less overwhelmed and okay about it! Happy to share what I learned if others are wanting or needing to go the minimalist route!

5. mjane

apricot / 444 posts

@karma: oh & I forgot to say, my sister lived with her husband and child in a 500 sq ft one bedroom for almost 3 years and said a changing station of some sort was handy but not absolutely necessary!

6. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

@mjane: Wow, Spain/Portugal for 9 months - that sounds so exciting and adventurous!

Good to know regarding the changing table. I definitely want to be minimalist, I'm starting with a carseat, crib, and stroller and going from there! I'm definitely open to suggestions if there are any other must-haves, since this is my first baby and none of my friends are parents yet (and we're all in our 30s!). I've been going over the HB lists and boy, there's a lot of stuff!

Gosh, 500 sq. ft. apt. with a baby - I can't even imagine...

7. autumnlove

@karma: We were living in an apartment when LO was born and we just had a changing pad on her dresser. We are now in a house and I want to get a changing table for Baby 2...I don't like the changing table that is attached to the Pack n Play and I want extra room to organize cloth diapers and supplies!

8. mjane

apricot / 444 posts

@karma: exciting/adventurous or insane/terrifying... That's the question!!!

the super minimalists I've talked to recommend a bouncy seat (doesn't need to be electronic!) or an activity mat, but those can totally be found secondhand. Also maybe a carrier of some kind, and a shapeless nursing bra for the first few days (since you won't know what size you'll be once milk comes in). And, last but not least, a breast feeding pillow with 2 covers... Though a lot of people seem to feel pretty mixed about them they still recommend them!

Other than that, I don't think we'll get much else. I keep saying to myself "the pioneer women didn't have all this crap!" But then I think about how it probably wasn't so fun to be a pioneer woman.

9. lomom

nectarine / 2127 posts

How far along? 27w3d

Total weight gain? Up ~5-7 pounds.

Maternity clothes? Oh yeah, since like 9 weeks.

Stretch marks? Yes.

Belly button (innie/outie)? Innie but losing depth

Sleep? I've been sleeping better than I have in awhile, but that's probably because I'm sooo exhausted from working crazy hours.

Best moment this week? Sitting in church, feeling my LO kick like crazy. I can poke my stomach and he'll kick back

Worst moment this week? Just being crazy exhausted on Friday after working a 60 hour week.

Miss anything? Sleeping on my stomach!

Cravings? McGriddles, omg. Can't get enough.

Most worried about? Whether my high blood pressure will turn into pre-ecclampsia and pre-term labor. I'm 27w3d so if he were born today, chances are pretty good that he'd survive but I want him to cook as long as possible! (And to come on his due date!)

Most excited about? I can't wait until DH is able to feel a kick!

Struggles? Working 60+ hours a week. It's exhausting.

Movement? Yes, quite a bit!

Nursery progress? He has a crib, mattress, dresser, sheets, changing table, diapers, wipes, a few outfits, a few blankets, some curtains, some books and some stuffed animals And tonss of Dallas Cowboys gear from his proud uncle!

Names picked? Yeah, he'll be a Junior, and we call him Junior Which drives my mom bonkers, but it fits him. He's totally stubborn just like his daddy

10. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

Finally in the 3rd trimester!!!

11. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

@septemberlove: I miss sleeping on my stomach too!!! And I love that you're going to have LO as Jr! We were debating and ended up deciding on Oliver and the hub's name as the middle name.

12. mauri

cherry / 153 posts

@karma We'll be living in a 300 sq ft apt with our baby! We live in a fabulous building with a lot of communal space though, like private courtyard, lounge, and playroom.

We're definitely not getting a separate changing table. We're just putting the changing pad on the top of a small bookcase from ikea.

@anniegurumi cute bump!

Well, the pregnancy insomnia has definitely kicked in. I've been wide awake for the past 2 hours.

At least baby is awake with me! He's kicking up a storm!

13. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

@mjane: thanks for the advice! I didn't look into activity mats at all, so that's good to know and keep in mind. LOL about the pioneer women - so true!

@septemberlove: that's so cool he pokes back at you! I have to try that... and kudos to you for being able to work 60+ hrs/wk! You're a tough woman. I can barely keep my eyes open come mid-afternoon...

@anniegurumi: you look fantastic! Hurray for 3rd trimester!

@mauri: whoa, 300 sq. ft.! No more complaining from me regarding my apartment.

14. mjane

apricot / 444 posts

@mauri: 300 sq ft! Yay, fellow new yorker! It's so doable.

15. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

Ladies! Has anyone been tired beyond belief? I've been just so exhausted all the time, even if I get enough sleep. AND on top of that, I'm peeing ALL THE TIME. lol I thought peeing all the time was a 1st trimester thing... I guess it's also a 3rd?

How is everyone? I wish we all lived closer.. (ahem, Shanghai? haha) So we can have coffee/tea time together every now and then. xo

16. mauri

cherry / 153 posts

@mjane Yay! Another New Yorker who understands! Family who doesn't live here keeps asking us when we're going to move, and they're all shocked and appalled that we don't have any immediate plans to move. I love our building and our neighborhood, and we're considering moving into a 1 bedroom in our same building if one opens up.

@anniegurumi Congrats on making it into the 3rd trimester! I've totally been exhausted lately, and I've been getting all kinds of aches and pains that make sleep difficult. Not to mention the party that this kid throws every night when I lie down to go to sleep!

I wish we all lived closer too! GTG in Shanghai once the kids are here and we're cleared for travel?

17. mauri

cherry / 153 posts

Oooh, I meant to share my 29 weeks, 6 days bump picture. Can't believe I'm almost at 30 weeks!

18. mauri

cherry / 153 posts

I feel like I'm totally spamming this thread, but we also went to ikea last weekend and got a little expedit bookshelf with drawer inserts. We'll use the top for the changing pad, and store diaper creme, burp cloths, blankets, bibs, etc in the drawers. Started putting away all the baby stuff we've accumulated so far. Can't believe how fast time will fly by now that we're in the 3rd trimester!

19. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

@mauri: GTG in Shanghai is AWESOME. Hopefully one day. Also, we moved from NYC so I totally feel your pains about people asking when we'll move. We do have a lot more space in SH but only because the company is paying for the space. (thankful)

And your bump is SOOOOOOOO beautiful!!!!! And I love the bookshelf!!! We're using a dresser for a changing area. You're not spamming at all, I love all this!

20. mjane

apricot / 444 posts

@mauri: Not spam! I might wind up buying the same one!

I was feeling like our brooklyn apt was small, and then I mentioned that to a friend of mine who grew up on the UWS. She was like, small!? Your apartment is palatial! So now I feel better. Good to have the perspective of ppl who survived (and thrived) being raised in the city.

21. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

@mauri: great bump! also, wow - I didn't even recognize the expedit shelf with all of the inserts in it. Fantastic idea!

@anniegurumi: yup, I'm totally tired too. This week has been brutal- I think I spent more time sleeping than awake! It's not even good, restful sleep... it's just tossing and turning and waking up from the back aches and pee-breaks.

22. autumnlove

Hi fellow May moms! Here is my week 31 bump...

I hope everyone is doing well!

@anniegurumi: @mauri: You guys look great!!!

23. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

@autumnlove: You are ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE! I love your tiny bump!!!!

24. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

Here's my 29 week belly! I covered my friend's face since she's rather private. But she's due 3 weeks after me! We're belly (almost) twins) hehe.

25. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

Hi, ladies! I have been quiet on this board (though it's been a pretty quiet board!) so I though I would pop in and check up. Hope everyone is feeling well! Too soon for an updated check-in?:

How far along? 293d
    Total weight gain? Up approximately 25 lbs. UGH.
    Maternity clothes? Mostly, some non-mat cardigans still work!
    Stretch marks? Amazingly, not yet.
    Belly button (innie/outie)? Flattie!
    Sleep? Terrible. Just recently developed severe pelvic pain and no matter how many pillows I use, I wake up at like 4 AM every night and end up going out to the couch to do some reading for class...and not every getting back to sleep!
    Best moment this week? Getting his crib and some other things from Ikea. We are FINALLY starting in on the nursery!
    Worst moment this week? Terrible sleep and pelvic pain.
    Miss anything? The nice early period where I was like maybe I WON'T gain a ton of weight! That all changed these past few weeks. Ready for a nice glass of wine, too.
    Cravings? Ice cream. Meatballs.
    Most worried about? Getting everything done with the apartment, at work and with my masters thesis before baby comes.
    Most excited about? To finally meet this sweet little wiggler inside of me (while I am most excited for this, I am hoping this is still at least 10 weeks away!)
    Struggles? Balancing work, school, life. And lack of sleep.
    Movement? Indeed, I love his little dance parties.
    Nursery progress? We live in a 2BR apt and are currently swapping our room with the guest room, and then making our old room into nursery. We've bought most of the "stuff" but we are still very much in the cleaning out phase before we can get it all together--I can't WAIT for that.
    Names picked? A few floating around, but still haven't decided--we won't for sure until he is born!

26. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

I think I'm still getting used to using HB - I thought when I subscribe to a topic, that I would get notifications whenever there's a new message?

Anyway, @autumnlove and @anniegurumi - you guys look fantastic!

@maybebaby: "flattie" is the most perfect description.

On a side note - I no longer fit into the bras I bought during the 2nd tri and I am concerned about buying new ones just to find that they won't fit once the milk comes in... Any suggestions? Or am I just doomed to keep buying temporary 3-month bras for now?

27. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@karma: I just bought the Genie bras from Target (a box of two for $20!!!) They are SO COMFY. No wires, no snaps, it is almost like a structured, more elegant jogging bra that still gives the ladies definition. I was a mere 34B pre-preg, but now I am like a 36 or 38 B/C, which is a large in the Genie bra. They go up to several XXXLs and the back of the box helps you decide what size you need. They seem like they would work well for nursing, too.

28. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@maybebaby: I feel like we are having similar pregnancies! At the beginning I thought - ahh, maybe I won't gain much weight! But now, I feel like I gain multiple pounds every week! It's terrifying, honestly. And the pelvic pain? It is so persistent and has been for weeks.

Exciting that you are getting your nursery ready! You'll have to share pictures when you're at a place you're ready to

29. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@anniegurumi: you look GREAT!! All bump

30. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

@karma: Thanks hon!!! I have the same problem, I thought I would get a notification and I sometimes forget to check.

I use the bravado nursing bras, they are soooo comfy and adjustable. They are a bit on the expensive side but I just love them and all my friends do too!

31. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: Thanks sweetie! The bump is growing and growing!

32. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@Mrs. Lovejoy: Not glad to hear you are in the same boat, but it does help to not feel alone.

@anniegurumi: you are absolutely adorable!
    @autumnlove: what a perfect bump!
    @mauri: i LOOOVE ikea. we just got our Sundvik crib last weekend and the 2 x 4 Expedit case for baby's room. beautiful bump!

So today is a very fun weekend for me! My best friend from HS is visiting Boston from NYC--her birthday was yesterday, mine is today, and my baby shower is tomorrow! Feeling very happy and spoiled to have so much excitement in one weekend. My parents are also up from Philadelphia.

We finally started assembling the nursery. There is no art on the walls, and LOTS left to do, but here is where we are at the moment...

33. Mrs. Lovejoy

clementine / 972 posts

@maybebaby: oh that looks so good!! You got a lot done fast! Have fun at your shower!!

34. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

Thanks for the suggestions @maybebaby and @anniegurumi - I will have to try those out!

@maybebaby: your nursery looks great!! I really like the curtain design. Have a great, fun-filled weekend!

@mrs. lovejoy: yup, definitely feeling the pelvic pain! Is there anything we can do for that?

on a random side note, I totally had pregnancy brain last week - mailed out a bill but there was no address showing in the little envelope window so it was returned to me yesterday. I did somehow remember to put a stamp on it so I have no idea how I didn't catch that there was no address showing?? haha

35. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

@karma: Aww! I have pregnancy brain too. hehe

Lately ladies... I sneeze and pee a little. LOL not every single time but I need to strengthen up those muscles down there! Kegel exercises for sure. Is anyone else doing that? Perhaps some prenatal yoga? And if you have any suggestions of videos online of prenatal yoga, I'd love to have those links!

I've been reading Ina May's Guide to childbirth... in hopes to prepare for an unmedicated natural birth. Has anyone else given thought as to birth? I'm not limiting myself and if I find I need the epidural, I will use it but I'm really hoping for an unmedicated one. I've had really bad reactions after surgeries and other kinds of numbing medications. Which is the main reason I'm hoping for this.

36. yppah

coffee bean / 35 posts

@anniegurumi: Yup, same here! Sneeze/pees, laugh/pees, etc. I've been wearing pads and I try to cross my legs before I sneeze. I didn't realize Kegels would help with that - I'll have to practice more often!

I've been reading the birth stories on HB and I don't know if I'll be able to go natural... I'll try my best, but gosh... it just sounds SO painful, even with an epidural. I'm a wuss when it comes to pain though.

37. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

Just checking in ladies!!!!

We're taking our maternity shots on Monday. I'm SOOOOO excited for it. We're probably going to have two outfits, one casual (maybe jeans) and another we'll dress a little nicer. I'll be wearing a wrap dress and the hubs in something cute.

How is everyone feeling?

At the end of my 32nd week and I'm feeling great. Other than the intense heartburn... but I'm figuring out ways to deal with that. I'm actually getting excited/nervous because a lot of my friends are giving birth around 36 weeks (naturally!!!) and I'm wondering if I'll end up the same?? Does anyone know if people tend to give birth early?

Nervously.... excited!!! haha

38. mauri

cherry / 153 posts

@anniegurumi: Have fun at your maternity shoot! I loved ours!

Here's a little sneak peak we got from our maternity shoot last week.

I'm feeling pretty good overall! Some hip/pelvic pain, and I keep getting annoying leg cramps in the middle of the night, but no major complaints. I love being able to feel the baby move! I'm kinda nervous about having to share him with everyone else after the birth!

39. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@anniegurumi: Ohh, fun! Enjoy and pls. share pics when you have them. We are doing ours next weekend.

@mauri: your pictures are beautiful!

i've been well--2 weeks ago we had our baby shower (well, I did--no men which was wonderful. i felt so loved and supported and our little man is so lucky to have an amazing community who can't wait to meet him! last weekend DH took me on a mini baby moon (no big trip for us since I am in my last semester of grad school!) to portland, me. he booked me a prenatal massage and spoiled me with delicious food, a fancy hotel and we enjoyed the weekend museum-going and poking in little shops. it was perfect.

as far as how i am feeling, i am 32 weeks and have some serious pelvic discomfort. baby is head down (YAY) and low, so no wonder i'm feeling it. i've been trying chiropractor work and acupuncture and will go to a prenatal yoga class on sunday--what i've had done so far has been feeling good. otherwise, my major complaint is hemorrhoids yuck.

hope all the other may mamas are doing well!!

40. anniegurumi

cherry / 174 posts

@mauri: I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!!!!!! You both look stunning and gorgeous. LOVE LOVE your bump!

@maybebaby: the mini baby moon sounds so nice! awww your hubs is so sweet!!!! baby shower sounds amazing too sorry to hear about the hemorrhoids, ugh i hate those too. good luck with your last semester of grad school!!! i remember my last day of my doctorate and i was SOOOOOOOOO happy! lol i bet you will be too!!

our son is head down too!!! yay! I've been having some contractions that I think are braxton hicks. Since they never progress to anything further but it makes my uterus very TIGHT and a little painful but not often enough to be labor.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee