Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2013 Mamas!

1. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@autumnlove: agree with @hergreenapples!! It tastes a bit like chamomile. I like it!

2. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

I just went on a mildly insane house decluttering rampage. Not sure if this is nesting or just a sign that I've run out of things to do. Feel so much better now that everything's organized again though!

3. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@hergreenapples: haha! I hope it's a sign!! We just spent the morning grocery shopping and hit 4 different stores. Now I'm going to have lunch and girl guide cookies. No signs of labor to report... Looks like DH is probably going to work tomorrow!

4. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

Another shot of my girl, while we wait for the rest of her newborn shoot.

5. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

Jag, she's so cute!!!! She has such chubby cheeks

6. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@jaguar: Oh- she is so precious! How are you all doing now that you are home?

7. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@jaguar: adorable!!!!!

Still nothing to report... Tomorrow I have an u/s and an appointment. At least we'll know more after that!

8. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@jaguar: Oh my goodness. I just can't get over the cuteness!

@sslm: No action here either. NST tomorrow and midwife on Wednesday. Yesterday I was really think that today might be the day but...I guess not. My mum's coming to visit today, so at least that will give me something to do.

Hang in there. Even if all else fails, we should be meeting this babies in a week at the most!

Oh, and I've heard two castor oil success stories in the past few days. If I get to this weekend without a baby I will try it as a last resort.

9. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@hergreenapples: Jeeez. Neither of our babies wants to come!!!! I don't want anyone else to be as frustrated as me, but it is kind of nice to have some company in my waiting.

I woke up last night with some cramps but they didn't last long. Today I feel nothing. I'm hoping that some of the cramps has helped dilate me at least a little so that I can get the sweep tomorrow.

10. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@hergreenapples: oh, re: castor oil, I've heard it works but is awful. I might try it this weekend too.

11. blackbird

Did I ever post an update that we brought Ella home Friday? I think I forgot to lol. So far she is a very mellow baby and I hope it stays that way for a bit

12. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@blackbird: awwww! She is adorable. Hope the mellowness continues!

@sslm: yeah, misery loves company

I've gone to bed already and am just laying here feeling sorry for myself. Hope you aren't feeling as glum as me.

13. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

Baby Cheer is here! (Ok her was here Sunday - but took me a bit to update!) he was 2 weeks late and tore me apart- but he is amazing!!!! Born Sunday 4/14 at 12:51- 8lbs 6oz. I already love him so much!!

14. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@blackbird: Cute!!!

@cheert16: congrats!!!

15. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@cheert16: congrats!!! He's very handsome

I'm having so much trouble sleeping. It's so frustrating. I guess it could be pregnancy induced insomnia, but mostly I think it's just nerves and frustration

16. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@cheert16: Congratulations! I saw his name on the other threat & I love it!

17. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@sslm: I hear you on the sleeping issue- I was up every two hours all night last night. At least I"m learning to function on very little sleep - I never used to be able to do that.

Your appointment is today, right? Sending good thoughts your way- hope something is happening for you.

18. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Appointment today at 39+3. 50% effaced but not dilated at all. Also, found out that they made a charting error and I am actually GBS positive. I'm pretty upset about this because it means we have to go to the hospital way earlier than we had planned.
    Ugh.

19. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@cheert16: Congratulations! So happy to hear he finally arrived. He is such a cutie

@sslm: I was fed up with the interrupted sleeps so I took 1/4 of a Gravol last night (my midwife recommended it) and slept for 10 hours with only about three pee breaks (I think I got up five or six times the night before). It was GLORIOUS. Thinking of you today and hoping your appointments go well

@Silva: Sorry to hear about the GBS - that is really frustrating that they misinformed you originally. Don't worry too much about you dilation/effacement as it can change so quickly. I know you've been struggling, so I hope you're hanging in there. Did you ask about elective induction?

AFM, 41 weeks today (whomp whomp). NST at 4:30. Started having a lot of pinchy feelings in my cervix last night and some pelvic pressure. When I woke up this morning it was gone....I think baby floats right on out of my pelvis at night and I don't know what to do short of sleeping standing up!

20. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@Silva: man that sucks about the gbs mixup. That's really frustrating!!!

@hergreenapples: I am definitely going to ask my midwife about the gravol then!! I am so tired. Doesn't seem like a good state to be in for labor...

Stuff might be starting to happen for me... I don't want to jinx it, but it seems like I may be either losing bits of my mucus plug, or having some bloody show. Just in the midwife's waiting room right now so I should have more insight soon.

U/S this morning was good, baby is doing just fine in there. Fluid levels are great, etc.

21. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@sslm: EEK! Sounds really positive. I hope things start to really happen for you and that your midwife appointment goes well.

22. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@hergreenapples: As miserable as I am I don't think I'll do any kind of elective induction. I mean, physically I'm doing fine- just a lot of pelvic pain, trouble sleeping- nothing abnormal. Just impatient, grouchy, and emotional.
    I hope things go well at your appointment today!

@sslm: sounds promising! glad baby is doing well

23. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

Well, apparently I am not really dilated. My mw did a sweep but she said she couldn't really do a "good" one, whatever that means. She did say my cervix was softening... so I guess that's good, but I am so frustrated. I'll probably be going back on Thursday to give it another try.

On Friday I will go for another u/s to make sure everything is ok so that I will have peace of mind over the weekend, and then an induction on Monday.

Any spotting or mucus plug of whatever I had this morning has stopped.

Pity party of one.

24. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@sslm: what a bummer. I'm so sorry.

25. blackbird

Aw ladies hang in there

26. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@sslm: Ugh. That SUCKS. I m convinced I'm going to get the same news at my midwife appointment tomorrow. Did the sweep hurt?

Have you considered Evening Primrose oil? My midwife talked about it last week and I kind of dismissed it (after I saw how expensive it was at the health food store) but I might reconsider if she tells me nothing's happening at my appointment tomorrow.

27. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@Silva: Thanks. I hate being so negative when I know I've got a baby coming!

@hergreenapples: It kind of hurt, it was uncomfortable. Actually, it felt crampy and my mw said that's what a contraction would feel like, so at least now I know what to look for!! She mentioned evening primrose last week and I just dismissed it but maybe I should go see about getting some tonight. I have my fingers crossed for you!!!!

28. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@sslm: You are totally entitled to be negative. In addition to getting a baby, your body is going through A LOT! And the waiting, wondering if something hugely significant is happening in your body, without having any way of knowing- its simply maddening.

Are you dilated at all? I thought you had to be in order for them to do a membrane sweep?

My practice recommends an oral evening primrose oil regimen starting at 36 weeks. I'm taking 2000 mg / day now (started at 500). No idea if its helping or not. Its supposed to help thin the cervix- I think direct application is more effective, but I don't know much about that.

29. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@Silva: I was maybe a tiny bit dilated because she was able to do a sweep, although she said it wasn't optimal. Boo.

And the insomnia rears it's ugly head. It's 4:45am and I've been awake since 4. I finally decided to just get up and read for a little bit to see if that would help. This is getting old really fast.

I'm trying to adjust my attitude to accepting that I'm probably looking at an induced labor on Monday, instead of just waiting around for it to start on its own. So far that's not going well as at this point I feel like crying again over my body seemingly not doing what it's meant to do. Ugh.

Obviously my mini sweep has done nothing, and any mucusy stuff that was happening has come to a screeching halt.

30. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@hergreenapples: Good luck today!!

31. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@sslm: I'm really sorry you are feeling so down and that things aren't happening. I will be thinking of you & sending lots of baby-moving, labor inducing wishes your way.

I know its not ideal, but if you do have to go in for the induction (and you still have plenty of time to avoid it), I've recently hear a lot of stories about them going very smoothly. A friend of mine went in for an induction and had her baby about 4 hours later. It went so quickly that they had to page her husband up from the cafeteria so he could be there for pushing!
    And, now that you have an end date, maybe the waiting will feel a little easier? Have you gone to see any movies or gone out for dinner? We went to see The Place Beyond the Pines this weekend (half joking that the intensity/drama of it might send me into labor). It was great. We have plans to try a new restaurant on Friday, and I think we're going to make reservations at an old favorite for Saturday (due date!). Now is not the time to be stingy with our budget- I need distraction!
    Last night I poured myself about 5 sips of beer into a glass (I have only had a sip here and there all pregnancy), and just drinking it out of my own glass (not my husbands!) felt like such a treat!
    Anyway- I hope you can maybe find some little things to look forward to before Monday.

I always have to get up when insomnia hits or else I lie in bed getting angrier and angrier. I try to go back to bed after about 30 minutes, usually.

32. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@sslm: Thanks I was just about to write to see how you're doing this morning.

Sorry to hear that you didn't sleep well again. I think it's probably a very wise thing for both of us to start managing our expectations with regard to our births...it's hard though.

Has you midwife explained how induction would work for you? I guess I will find out later today, but I'm anxious about the idea of being transferred to an OB I don't know and basically giving up every single vision for the birth that I've had so far. I honestly think I will cry if I have to be induced. This sucks. I am sorry that we are both dealing with it

My NST went "beautifully" yesterday according to the nurse. The baby was an absolute MANIAC. I had to press a button every time I felt the baby move and I basically spent the whole 20 minutes pressing the button and watching the belt jump up and down on my stomach. Silly baby

ETA: I keep forgetting to mention here that my mum thinks the baby is holding out until Saturday (April 20) to be born. My stepdad passed away two years ago on April 20 so it's a poignant/difficult day for us and having the baby that day would really change its tone for our whole family.

33. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@Silva: Thank you so much for always being so supportive! I really appreciate it! We are talking about making some fun plans for the next 5 days just to take our mind off of things. My parents are arriving on Saturday evening, it'll be nice to have my mom here. I agree on the stingy budget thing, I went our and bought a new bedspread for a mini bedroom redecoration I'm probably going to go shopping again tomorrow!!

@hergreenapples: I'm sorry nothing is happening on your end either, this totally sucks My midwife did explain the induction process, but it's still a little unclear. I'm going to ask again tomorrow. I guess what will happen is I'll go on an induction list, and wait for a call from the hospital. First they'll do the cervidil, which they may try more than once, and my midwife will be there. She'll break my water too, before resorting to pitocin. What's unclear is what role the doctor plays in this... I think they won't be involved until I need the pitocin, but I'm going to have to ask about that!!

It's good that your NST went so well!!! Baby is just happy in there! Seems like we've got a couple of very stubborn LOs.

We still have 5 or so days... hoping stuff gets moving!!

34. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

Here's my new bedroom

35. blackbird

I had to mentally adjust to being induced and I hated it for a couple of days but accepted it and it went smoothly! I figured it was my first lesson in being flexible with babies lol.

Also I know you're in Canada but my doctor didn't even come IN until it was time to push. The nurses did everything an likely your midwife will too?! The nurse got the OK from my dr to hook me up to pitocin and that was it-I was going. The nurses adjusted it every half hour, checked on me, got the anaesthesiologist when I wanted the epi, etc.My labor nurse coached my pushing for 2 hours, got the doc, and my doc coached me for the last 15-30 minutes and delivered the baby and stitched me up. Your midwife may be more present than you think.

Anyways, I know it sucks because its not what you intended, but in the end, you will have a happy healthy baby and if you are anything like me, you'll just shrug and say it didn't go as you expected but all is well that ends well. And in my case, it spared us worse hypertension likely, had she baked longer. Silly. unpredictable babies. I will say that having an "end date" does help mentally!! And my doula said that cervadil is a more low key induction method than cytotec. Maye between that and her breaking your water, there will be enough postglandins to kick you into labor! Things got nuts when my water broke! She said it was common!

36. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@sslm: That looks beautiful! So cheery for spring!

37. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@hergreenapples: Glad that the NST went well! Hope things start to happen for you soon

38. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@blackbird: Thanks for the encouragement! And you're right, all that really matters in the end is a healthy baby and mom. I'm working on reshaping my attitude

39. heartonastring

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@sslm: Yeah, from what I recall from when I asked about it when I first started seeing my midwife, they would start with cervidil and then possibly move on to a Foley catheter before turning to pitocin, which would require a transfer of care. I just don't quite understand if a transfer would mean that the midwife would no long be involved at all?

Also, I love your bedroom! I saw it on another thread yesterday and thought it was really pretty. The colours are so awesome and cheerful!

@Silva: Thanks for the support That's great that you and your DH have some stuff planned to pass the time! It's nice to spend some time together, but also to get your mind off the constant questioning about if/when labour is going to happen.

@blackbird: Thanks for the supportive words. I definitely value what you have to say since you've been there and done that and have the baby to show for it!

Healthy, happy baby is definitely the ultimate goal and we will do whatever we need to to achieve it. The thing that freaks me out about pitocin induction though is that it's not something that can be overseen by my midwife, so would necessitate a transfer of care to an OB.

With a midwife in my province, you basically just use the hospital for the room. Provided all goes well, you have no contact with the nurses, doctors or other medical staff. Your midwife is with you the whole time as your labour support and a second midwife joins you for pushing/delivery/postpartum care.

As someone who suffers from major white coat syndrome and medical-related anxiety (as in, jut going to the hospital yesterday for a NST was really tough for me), the thought of having to do a total 180 and deal exclusively with the medical model of care freaks me out a lot. It's not rational, but it is what it is.

If it's what I have to do to get this baby out then absolutely, that is the path we will take and I know I am strong enough to handle it. It's just really distressing and anxiety-inducing for me to think about at the moment.

I really appreciate your insight though - it helps me keep things in perspective when my head spins out of control

40. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@hergreenapples: It might be helpful to read through some of the birth stories on offbeatmama.com
    I have enjoyed reading through them, and they offer a lot of different perspectives / types of births.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee