Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas - Nursery Progress

1. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@NeekieRose: me too! people keep telling me i'm gonna give her nightmares haha.

2. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@loki: I adore that crib sheet! Sometimes I want to get floral things but DH is reigning me in seeing as we are having a boy. But I think boys can have a few flowers, right?!

@Banana330: Regarding hardware/knobs, I got some wooden ones for 90c each at home depot and painted them following this guide: http://www.designlovefest.com/2012/09/make-it-19/
    They came up really nicely - I will post a pic once I screw them in. I used craft paint with a brush instead of spray paint and it was such a cheap diy project!

3. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@NeekieRose: those fabrics are gorgeous! I wish I knew how to sew - can't wait to see how they all come together!

@loki: am loving all of your details! How did make that garland - I love it and want to do something similar! Was it easy?

4. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@lulu22: ya i can't resist florals. i found it so hard to find a floral crib sheet though! i think boys can appreciate flowers too

@SunshineMcC: it was crazy easy. at my wedding, we had ribbons on the seat of every aisle and i had a ribbon arch that i walked through. so i already had tons of ribbon. i happened to have a the darker teal colour lying around and since it was thinner than my wedding ribbon, i used that as the base. then i literally just folded the ribbon in half and knotted it on itself on the thin base ribbon. does that make sense? so i put the ends of the ribbon through it's own loop (from the fold) and then tightened it around the base. not sure if that makes sense, i can take close up pictures tonight if you'd like!

eta: not sure how good this link is but it was the first one i came across so this shows what i mean:
    http://www.emersongreydesigns.com/2014/03/diy-ribbon-swag-garland-coral-peach-and.html

5. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@loki: The sheet is lovely!

6. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@lulu22: ooh nice knobs... maybe I will do that!

7. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@boopers: The lighting in this picture isn't great but hopefully it gives you an idea of how we placed our bilana in the corner.

8. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

In between painting the bathroom this weekend we finally recovered our foot stool (before and after). We added foam and batting to make it softer, still waiting on the chair (which is solid grey) but getting closer to being done!

9. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Banana330: Your re upholstery job looks great!

10. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: whoa good job, it looks great! love that fabric choice.

@marionberry: that chair is beautiful. ours got delivered to my best friend's house and my husband is picking it up on saturday. i can't wait to see it!

11. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: that chair looks insanely comfortable!

12. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Banana330: It really is! So glad we have one that reclines this time too.

13. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@marionberry: thanks for posting a picture! What color did you get your chair in? I pushed our chair closer to the wall but it hardly reclined so I pulled it back out again. It just looks so weird so far out in the room. I may need to go with function over aesthetics!

@Banana330: we ordered the same chair and it's seriously amazing.

14. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@Banana330: I love the look of your new upholstery! Such a fun fabric.

15. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Boopers: We got ours in 21592 chenille (http://microdst.besthf.com/Fabric-24/ItemBrowser.aspx?action=attributes&ItemType=Fabric&offset=24). It's a greyish blue color mixed with a golden amber color. It looks really great in person. On our last chair we had dolphin microfiber which was a dark grey microfiber. What color did you get? Oh and I would push it close to the wall for pictures and such but by the time you need to rock a baby to bed you'll definitely be opting for function over looks.

16. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

Our glider/recliner arrived yesterday. DH came home from work early to await the delivery and it was all set up by the time I came home. It's so comfy, and the cats love it already!

With Target Canada closing, I've been trolling the aisles for things we need to complete the nursery. None of the small tables we have are really appropriate for next to the chair, either too big, too table, or the wrong material. The wood and wire table pictured below looks like it'll work though. It's $59 and currently either 10% or 20% off.

The blue, white and brown basket below would work well in the other corner by the change table, and give a pop of colour, as well a place to store stuffed animals/toys.

17. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@marionberry: We got our chair in dolphin. I really like the color.

@Astro Bee: I love how everything is coming together in your nursery! I would definitely get the blue wire and wood side table. It's looking really great!

18. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Boopers: Thanks. I think I can wait a little while to see if it goes further on sale, since there are a bunch in the store. I may just fold and buy it early, though, to get the nursery done!

@Banana330: I love your stool! Great job on the upholstering. It's such a fun pattern. I can't wait to see it set up in your nursery.

19. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Astro Bee: looks great! Where's your chair from? I should head over to target to looks at baskets etc before they close.

Our chair should be delivered by the end of the month. I'm so excited to see it! It was super expensive but it was a gift from my parents who tend to do infrequent but large gifts. I really wanted it to come before my shower in early March so I could have the nursery for the event.

20. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Banana330: My chair is from Dutailier. Super expensive, as well, but it was our big splurge to ourselves. Plus, we plan on moving it to our living room when we no longer need it for the nursery. I miss our old recliner! What chair are you getting? That's so wonderful that you're parents are getting you yours. I hope it arrives in time. No idea what our parents are getting us. We have most of the big things already.

21. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

Painting is going really well. Just heading up in a few minutes to put the second coat on. We went with Benjamin Moore in Coventry Grey. I splurged and went with the Natura formulation, because it was low-VOC and I felt better having it in the nursery. Not sure what it costs in the US, but at my local paint shop it was $80/gallon inc. tax. Way more than I've ever spent on paint before, and I've bought a LOT of paint.

I wanted your opinions on what to do as an accent stripe on the wall over the crib. Two inspiration photos are below. I like the two-tone because it's different, although I could go with a third (white) or the two-tone stripe with thin white stripes on bottom/top. The two colours would be aqua and navy, and I'd use either white or orange letters. What do you think?

22. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Astro Bee: I like the second picture. I know the letters used in that pic come from etsy. I have them favorited.

23. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Astro Bee: I think the second one looks better with your furniture, it's more modern.

24. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@Astro Bee: your nursery is looking great! I agree with @Boopers: on the blue wire/wood side table. And I also agree with @marionberry & @Banana330: the second options looks so fresh and modern and I think it would suit your nursery really well!

25. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: wow i looooove the second pic. the first one is nice too but the second is so unique! i think it's really beautiful. love that.

we got our glider/recliner and i looooove it. it's really comfy and i legit just hung out in it for an hour last night, on my phone haha. i bought a really cute side table from target but i dont' really have a place to put it. i just figured i needed something to keep a glass of water or whatever... but it's kinda tucked in there and you can't see it at all, which is sad!

now i just need to get stuff up on the walls and i'm done!

26. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Astro Bee: everything is looking great! I like the second pic the best, though both are a great idea!

@loki: oh your chair looks super comfy!!! I've been hanging out in the nursery too recently in our rocker. It's so peaceful and pretty in there and I love it! I want to get a side table as well but have so little room for it and not sure where I'd put it! My next step is putting things up on the wall too!

27. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@loki: thanks for the details on the garland!!

28. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: @SunshineMcC: the side table is a really good idea. Not something I had thought of last time so we ended adding a wicker thing pretty much in the exact spot as @loki. It works really well and since it doesn't match anything, I like that it's tucked away.

@Astro Bee: they are both nice, I like the more traditional look of the first photo, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Reagan's big girl room is really coming together. All that is left to do is hang things on the walls. Hoping to get that done this week and then I can post pictures! Have a few ideas on things to add to the nursery to make it slightly more personalized for Ryan. Poor girl is going to get nothing new of her own! Hopefully that will be done in the next week or so too and I can post pics of the nursery too!

29. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@SunshineMcC: have you thought about a narrow wall shelf instead of a table? I've seen it done for bedside tables where they dont' have a lot of room.

30. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm leaning towards the second (double) stripes for the wall. Now the hard part is picking the two colours, and finding letters. @Marionberry: Not sure if I have enough time to order off Etsy, but would you mind sharing which seller they're from?

@Boopers: Well, I waited too long to get the wood/wire side table. There were so many of them, and they were only 10% off, but in only 4 days they were all sold out. There was a red wire one still there, but I don't want to deal with having to spray paint it, and also, it looks like it won't fit into the space well. It's 17" in diameter. There is a square tapered side table, also really modern looking, that is only 13" on each side, that might fit there better.

@NeekieRose: What did you find you used the table for last time? Phone, water bottle/glass, lamp, book, etc. I'm trying to decide how much room I'll need.

@Banana330: I really like your idea of putting a wall shelf next to the chair. That would probably work for me too, but I've been thinking of putting shelves there for books, so I don't want the wall too cluttered. I really wish the room was bigger!

31. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Loki: I love your room, it's so soft and feminine, and perfect for your little girl. Where is the chair from? Can't wait to see what you do with the walls.

32. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Astro Bee: I'll post a picture later, but it's actually a three shelf table thing. On the bottom are a few blankets that I have rarely used, but they have come in handy a couple times in the middle of the night when I needed to rock Reagan and it was chilly. On the middle shelf are books. The majority of her books are on a different bookshelf, but these are the books that are in the current nighttime reading rotation. It is very handy to have them right there to grab one after another since we go through 3-5 every night. I also have a box of tissues on that shelf. On the top is her humidifier and a lamp. It also held the noise machine (didn't really use) and then the cd player (now moved to the bookshelf). That's what's on it all the time, but I also rest pacis there and water and my phone during bedtime routine.

33. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: thank you! i love it! it's very me and i guess that's what matters since she doesn't really care what her room looks like! i got the chair from here: http://roomstogrow.ca/
    it's a lady in oakville who has a showroom in her house. she didn't have this particular chair in stock so i just hoped for the best. my girlfriends all pitched and got it for me as my friends shower gift so i'm so grateful! it wasn't that pricey though at $399+tax. i'm shocked at how great the quality is and i love how it looks in there!

34. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Astro Bee: here is the table thing we have and what's on it.

35. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Banana330: love that idea, but no room for it either - the chair is wedged into a corner with windows on each side that are floor to ceiling... I thought about maybe a colorful ottoman that could double as a table?

36. loki

pear / 1787 posts

i'm home sick again today so good time to put up my decals and stuff above the crib haha.

i need to play with the dots a bit because they're kinda awkward now that the deer head and garland are up. so i'll probably obsess over that for a while but so far it looks good!

my friend told me not to put my gallery wall up yet... i guess they have something framed for me at my shower? so i'll wait until after that to organize the gallery wall.

37. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@loki: Nice! It's looking very cute and comfortable.

38. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: Looks great!

39. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@loki: looks so great - I love those dots so much! What a beautiful room - your baby is so lucky!!!

40. loki

pear / 1787 posts

thanks guys! because of the angle of that picture, the garland looks like it's not even but i promise in person it is! haha.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee