At my 39 week appointment we scheduled an elective induction for February 19th, at 39 weeks, 4 days. My OB estimated that you weighed 8 to 8-1/2 lbs, and I was 3+ cm dilated and 70% effaced. I had been having contractions for weeks but they never progressed, despite a few nights where I thought, "this is it!" While I loved being pregnant and feeling you inside me, Dad and I were sooo ready to meet you and hold you.

The day before was a gorgeous 60° (record breaking for March!) and we spent the day getting some last minute things ready for you: setting up the pack and play, raising the crib mattress, making sure everything was packed for the hospital; and also spending lots of time with your big brother. I went to bed at 9 pm and Dad at 10, but we were both so anxious and excited that we got very little sleep. Dad was up by 3:30 and I got up at 4 to shower and get ready to leave for the hospital. We kissed our goodbyes to your big brother and sister, and headed to the hospital at 4:45, arriving at 5:20 am.

Since Admitting wasn't open yet on a Sunday we checked in at the Emergency Room and headed up to Labor and Delivery at 5:30, in room # 505. I got settled into bed in the gown they gave me and was hooked up to an IV at 6 am. At 6:30 the nurse started the Pitocin drip, at 6 mL / hour. She checked my cervix and I was still at 3 cm and 70% effaced. Dad and I watched the gorgeous sunrise over the Mississippi river, we had a great view from our room, and then started watching Tarzan on the hospital tv.
At 7:00 my contractions were about 6 minutes apart; 15 minutes later the nurse turned up the Pitocin to 8 mL/hour, and by 7:40 my contractions were 2 to 3 minutes apart but didn't hurt at all, just a tightening of my stomach.
At 8:21 my Dr. came in and broke my water. Dad noticed the surprised looks on their faces when the water gushed out and the nurse had to run for more towels. They commented they had never seen that much water come out all at once.
By 9:00 my contractions were 3 to 4 minutes apart and my pain was between a 4 and 6, since the anesthesiologist was already on the floor I asked for an epidural. By 9:15 the contractions hurt much more, about a 7-8 on the pain scale and were 3 minutes apart.
At 10:00 the anesthesiologist arrived and I got the epidural.
At 10:25 the nurse turned up the pitocin to 10 mL/hour. By 10:50 contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and strong. I could still feel the pressure, but they didn't hurt. Your heartbeat would slow down during the contractions from the 130-140 range to 100-110 and sometimes lower, the dr. said later that they were worried the cord might be around your neck.
Around 11, the nurse checked dilation and felt that I was at 6 cm; when she went to feel your head, she touched your fingers instead, this really surprised her and daddy joked that she should grab on and pull you out. Our nurse left and got another nurse who had worked in L&D longer and had her feel as well and try to move your hand. They decided to have me sit in a position on my knees with my butt in the air so that you could hopefully pull your hand down. I sat like that pretty comfortably for an hour and we discussed what it meant to have your hand on your head, it was possible that they might have to do a c-section which scared me and your dad. The nurse thought that when my water broke and gushed so fast that it may have pulled your hand down with the water. You probably would have been born by now if your hand wasn't preventing your head from fully hitting my cervix.
At 12:30 I was able to lay on my back again and was dilated to 7 cm and 100% effaced. Your fingers were still on top of your head but in a better spot. I felt a lot of pressure when I flipped back over, and start getting really shaky arms and legs. The nurse noticed that I was transitioning and quickly started getting the room ready for your arrival; when she checked me again at 12:50 I was 10 cm and she left to get the dr. and told me not to push. I felt your head pushing down with each contraction and told dad you were coming soon so they better hurry up.
At 1:05 the Dr. arrived in the room, she said that your hand positioning should be okay now and told me to push and then stop - in one push your head was out and she checked to make sure the cord wasn't around your neck, which it wasn't. I had to wait for the next contraction and push again, one more contraction after that, (3 total) and you were born at 1:17 pm. You had one more surprise for us and came with one foot up and one foot down, which the dr. and nurse had never seen before, they said you were in a cheerleader position, so they were worried about hip/leg damage and quickly cut the cord to have you checked by the baby nurse. Dad and I were a little extra worried, but you were fine and your apgar scores were 8 and 9.
We named you Emmalyn Grace, you weighed 7 lbs, 3 oz and were 21" long, exactly the same as your big brother. At 1:45 you were all cleaned up and I got to hold you for the first time, you latched on to nurse right away. I only had one small internal tear that needed just a few stitches. (Your big brother did much more damage!).
Daddy held you for awhile while I got to eat lunch and have the epidural removed. At 4:00 we moved to our new room, #569.
The nurses took you for a bath around 4:30 and the pediatrician evaluated you then as well, he came in and told us that you were perfect and had no damage from the awkward position you were in. You were the talk of the floor though among all the dr.'s and nurses!