Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2017 moms!

1. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

I think E's teething too! So much drool and her hands are always in her mouth, plus I think I can feel a couple teeth pushing up against her gums. She seems so young though, my first's first tooth didn't show up until she was almost 1!

The 4 month regression hasn't hit us too hard, there were a few nights with one extra wake up but e's a really good sleeper. She's still in the bassinet in our room, I'm dreading moving her to the crib in the room she and lo1 will share, and having to do bedtime for both girls together. Dh is away for a weekend later this month so I guess I'll be doing it then! I also haven't swaddle weaned yet-- we use the love to dream sleep sack so she has some access to her hands/can prop herself up when she's on her tummy. And I have one of the models where the hands are totally out, but it doesn't seem to work as well. She is rolling back to tummy pretty regularly so I do need to switch her!

I've noticed she is using her hands way more effectively in the last week, she's able to grasp toys more accurately and bang them around. So cute! I love this stage!

2. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

I finally got brave and stuck T in his crib (he's 90th percentile for height so he's really too long for the rock and play anyway) and he took to it without a hitch. Maybe 15 minutes of crying the first night and that's about it. I can't even believe that I have been so lucky with his sleep cause my first was a disasterrrr.

He rolled from back to belly for the first time today and I missed it! Big brother was cheering and I came into the room and found the baby on his belly hahaha.

Due to rolling, I'm starting to swaddle wean. We have one of those Love to Dream swaddles (the flying squirrel...who called it that?) so I zipped off an arm tonight. Took him longer to fall asleep but no crying so we'll see. Remind me to trim his nails though

3. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

@gilmoregirl: omg the nails! becuase E is in the love to dream swaddles and sleeps with her arms up, she's developed a habit of rubbing her ears while she's falling asleep and/or nursing. i'm super vigilant about her little talons after she gave herself a nasty scratch a couple weeks ago!

4. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

@nana87: oh man, I am terrible at trimming his nails and I need to do better. Seriously might be my least favorite parenting task. Poor T scratches at his eczema too and it gets scabby. I'm trying!

5. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@NorthStar: @josine: I've had both of mine sleep on their stomachs during the day, they can both lift their heads and upper body so I am fine with it. J likes sleeping on his side and I think F will sooner or later be sleeping on her belly at night too. Since both of them are out of the swaddle and in zippys now I am fine with it. That is a dumb question but what do you worry about when they sleep on their bellies, they aren't swaddled are they?

6. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@nana87: yes the months 4-6 are just the best. Easygoing, smiling babies who need nothing but milk and sleep I had one early teether and one late one so it can be totally different for different kids...

7. NorthStar

pear / 1881 posts

@Pumuckl: I'm just paranoid. No real reason! lol He can roll really good from his back to belly, but is not as good going from his belly to back. Therefore, it's has resulted in more wakeups and frustrations on his part. He is no longer swaddled since he started sleeping on his belly. Prior to that he was in the Love to Dream swaddle, so we removed the arms and just use the rest as a sleep sack.

8. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@Pumuckl: Paranoid pretty much! Just because of the recommendations to have them sleep on their backs... I'm afraid of walking in and seeing her face planted into the crib mattress - even though she has GREAT head control so I'm sure its a non-issue. We don't swaddle anymore.
    @gilmoregirl: Awesome that he's crib-sleeping! (and easily)
    @nana87: Em is using her hands a lot more too... constantly holding her toes, so cute.
    She finally started 'chatting' more yesterday, she's such a quiet little girl, it's nice to hear her making some noise...

9. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

Well it happened... I knew it would... during one of our night sessions where I fell asleep tyler rolled out of my arms and PLOP right down to the floor. THANK GOODNESS it's carpeted and he fell on his stomach (from what I could tell). But man o man did it traumatize me!!!! It definitely was worse for me than for him! UGHHHH mommy guilt!!!

10. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

@josina: it is a relief for sure! Swaddle weaning is proving a little trickier yet really it just takes him longer to go to sleep.

T is back to 4 am poops though arghhh.

11. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

@Ajsmommy: aww the mommy guilt is the worst part but I'm sure he's fine. B once fell down an entire flight of stairs and it was totally my fault and I took it wayyy worse than him. He had not even a scratch! Try not to take it too hard

12. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@Ajsmommy: Oh no, don't beat yourself up too much, he's okay! It is soooo hard when they're up as much as he is at night.
    I know I fell asleep lots with DS but I nursed in bed so we ended up co-sleeping by 2 am most nights. (which is probably why he STILL ends up in our bed after midnight).

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Ajsmommy: Oi, don't beat yourself up! Can you just put an extra mattress into his room so you can co-sleep in there without living in fear of it happening again?

@NorthStar: Maybe moving him to a zippadee zip (I never get that spelled right ) would let him move a little easier as there is more "room" in the leg area?

@josina: Maybe you should just move Em to the crib for a night or two and see what happens? Maybe she'll surprise you and sleep just as well as she does in the RNP. I thought kids weren't supposed to sleep in RNP due to the higher risk of flat heads or something? (Not sure there, we don't have that product available here at all I think).

14. gentlelunette

kiwi / 698 posts

Whoa, I'm so behind in this thread!

We're doing okay here. Sleep went from being amazing to being HORRIBLE, waking 4-6 times a night. One night I had to do both bedtimes alone and J had skipped her last nap, so I put her down awake (instead of nursing her) and she cried only 5 minutes, so I decided we would go ahead and "sleep train" her. She's never cried more than 9 minutes, and my cut off is 10 before I go in. I'm still nursing to sleep for naps, and naps are still stupidly short, but I have hope that will change eventually!

J is rolling consistently both ways now, and she's trying to lift up her belly and get on her knees 🙈 she's such an eager beaver and I am so NOT prepared for her moving beyond rolling just yet.

I think there may be a tooth in our near future- so much drool and finger chewing! My first never drooled, so this is new for me!

15. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

@gentlelunette: I think J and Tyler are twins on ALL levels!

16. gentlelunette

kiwi / 698 posts

@Ajsmommy: ugh, well in that case, solidarity mama! Lol. Even with our sleep training she's still waking up twice at night. We're on night 3, so I'm not going to work on cutting night feeds for awhile, but I had to get her falling asleep without a boob in her mouth because she was waking up and freaking out... I'd nurse her and she would just be using me as a pacifier. I'm barely functioning and losing my temper with her big sister, so something has to change.

17. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

@gentlelunette: I feel ya. Lack of sleep is so hard. I have to tell myself every morning that this is just a phase, i'll survive and I have to make a concerted effort to not be miserable/testy with DH and DD. It's like I have to just accept it for what it is and forget about it. If I think about it or dwell on it then I lose it!

Tyler gets up 2-6 times a night. When its 2 I feel soooo happy and refreshed! He also pulls the I want to stay awake for 45 mins every once in a while and that is terrible too.

He is so different than DD. He actually goes to sleep without nursing, I do rock him. But he'll sleep for only an hour or 2 and then wake up and need to nurse, then he's up usually in another hour to nurse again. This is usually all before DD and I/DH go to bed. Then after I go to bed he'll be up around midnight and then around 1-2.... 2 am is his party time if* he does the awake thing. Then he'll be up again either at 3 or 4. If it's after 4 then he won't settle and I have to take him into my room for that last hour of sleep until 5 am when I have to get up to get ready for work. To say I am exhausted is an understatement. The kicker is that I am so tired now that I fall asleep in his room rocking/nursing him.. i'll be in there for the entire time he's asleep, wake up put him in his crib only to be back in in 15 mins b.c it's been 2 hours since he last ate. FML.

Thank goodness he's so cute and happy.

The drool is out of this world and his desire to move/sit up wayyyyy surpass DD's at this age. I have a feeling he'll be mobile way before she was His little body literally strains to move...

18. NorthStar

pear / 1881 posts

@Ajsmommy: omg - 2-4 times per night! I cannot even imagine I hope it gets better for you so that you can get some sleep!!

Are any of you having issues with milk supply? Since I couldn't get an IUD, I started BCP about 3 weeks ago. In the past 1.5 weeks, my supply is really decreasing. I should have seen it coming, but man, it sucks. I'm considering going off of the BCP, but we also hate condoms. so, ?? I did buy some supplements to try to see if that can increase what I'm pumping at work. Currently, I'm using 6oz from my freezer stash each day to send with him to daycare. The weekends are hard too because he just nurses, but my body is not producing enough. So, he ends up waking up more on weekends nights.

19. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@Ajsmommy: Man, I'm so sorry. I'd like to give advice to help, but I think I just put up with DS doing the same thing until we weaned at 14 months. I wasn't willing to do CIO, although we did do some sleep-training at 4 months that did help a little, so he could put himself to sleep at least.

Honestly it's one of the things that terrifies me if we DO have a 3rd, not sure I can do that whole thing over again in 2 years!

@NorthStar: I'm on the mini-pill and didn't notice a decrease. I had been pumping 3x a day, getting 16 oz., but Em is only taking 2 bottles a day and then is starving when I pick her up, so I'm starting to go to 2x a day just so I am fuller when I get her at night. Push water and granola/oatmeal though, I think that makes a huge difference. I've also heard Gatorade but haven't tried it.

20. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

@NorthStar: I got the iud and so far no supply issues however Tyler only takes 9 oz's a day au daycare...which I think is low. I pump three times at work and I get enough to freeze a bag every day.. With dd I tried that fenugreek (?) and oatmeal but I don't think they helped me...so really I'm no help

@josina: thanks. I'll survive. Like I keep saying it's just a phase. I'm really hopeful that when we start solids at 6 months he'll sleep longer au night. Fingers crossed.

21. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

sorry my phone changes "at" to "au"...

22. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@Ajsmommy: Em takes 8-9 oz at daycare also. I agree it's low, but she's a CHUNK so not gonna worry about it. DC offers more but Em just plays with the bottle, so I think she just prefers bf'ing. Different bottles / frozen vs. fresh makes no difference.

23. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

@josina: same. tyler is still jumping in weight % too so he's def getting enough

24. NorthStar

pear / 1881 posts

@Ajsmommy: I really wish the IUD would have worked! It's so frustrating. Wyatt eats approx 16 oz at daycare and I'm currently pumping 10 while at work and sometimes 5 overnight (if he only wakes up once). So, I'm close, but it really just depends upon his sleep.

25. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

@NorthStar: Wyatt sounds like my friends baby. She is running low too and had to start sending one bottle of formula.

26. maggierose

olive / 60 posts

Hi everyone! It’s so nice to hear updates. I haven’t popped in here in awhile. My baby girl is already nearly 5.5 months old. She’s still not sleeping great – up 2-3 times a night and barely naps at daycare, either. I don’t know what else we can do. We’ve ditched the swaddle and the merlin sleep suit since neither seemed to make much difference anyway. She has her white noise and her lovey, and I put her down drowsy but awake most nights but I don’t think it matters. She falls asleep fine but all bets are off after around midnight. I don’t have the heart to do cry it out and and we only have a two bedroom so she’d either be in my room crying or her brother’s room crying so regardless no one would be sleeping. I just nurse her and she settles right down so I’ve just embraced the sleep deprivation.

Anyone started solids? With my son we did baby led weaning at 6 months, but I’ve tried a few purees here and there so far with her – banana, sweet potato, and oatmeal. She still has the tongue thrust but she got some down. I’m probably going to wait a couple more weeks and do full on BLW. I’ve given her some fruit in the boon silicon feeder and she LOVES that. I am pretty sure she is teething pretty bad so it must feel good.

I feel frazzled and still not my best self, but just haven’t been able to get back in a good workout routine between breastfeeding and sleep deprivation…maybe in another six months…I guess it will happen eventually but it’s just not my priority right now, at the end of the day. I’m just so exhausted.

I feel frustrated because the days are just so hectic working full time with both kids. I feel like I don’t get enough quality time and almost all my money is going to daycare. I wish I could go part time or stay at home, but my husband is pretty insistent that he does not feel comfortable being the sole breadwinner because he feels his company his unstable and he’s afraid if something happened to his job we’d be in a tough place, plus we’re on my benefits. So, that sucks. If I had more energy I might actively look for a part time or work from home job but as is I just fall into bed exhausted at the end of the day after getting home from work, dinner, bath/bed routine and don’t have the mental energy to do anymore so I just go through the motions of my job day in and day out and feel sad as I see the days and months passing at warp speed and my kids growing up.

Anyway hope you are all doing well! Gonna try to post my birth story soon. I wrote up my son’s in a word doc in my computer but never did my daughter’s so maybe I’ll get to it now.

27. maggierose

olive / 60 posts

@NorthStar: My supply has never been insane, but it seems to be enough to satisfy. My daughter gets 2 4-oz bottles at daycare (which is what I pump at work) plus I nurse her on my lunch break. Daycare hasn't pestered me for more yet but they might start; they did with my son and he got about the same amount and they said he was "still hungry". Do you think your little guy is really hungry or just wants comfort? Maybe they could soothe him in other ways or try paced feeding or giving a paci after? 16 oz seems like a lot, depending how long he is there for?

@Ajsmommy: @gentlelunette: Glad to know I'm not alone over here in sleep deprivation land, although I wish no one else had to be there!!!

28. NorthStar

pear / 1881 posts

@maggierose: He is there for about 9 hours and eats about every 2-2.5 hours. I nurse him before I drop him off, he takes 4 bottles there and then nurse before he goes to bed. I actually don't think that it's too much milk, considering he should average at least 24 oz/day and he more or less sleeps through the night. I'm lucky if I get to nurse him 3x per day (which includes one potential middle of the night waking). My supply has totally tanked and it's just getting worse. But, I did stop my birth control pills and have some supplements coming in the mail. Fingers crossed they help because if they don't, I'm not sure how much longer I'll last.

29. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

Hi ladies! It is good to hear updates. We've been doing well - I'm going back to work tomorrow, so that will be interesting! Her sleep has been good, actually, with the Merlin. She's sleeping in her crib now, sharing a room with her big brother. That has been going well - even when she fusses a bit before falling asleep, it doesn't seem to bother/wake DS, who goes to sleep a bit before she does. In the morning, if she's starting to make noise, we'll take her into our room so DS doesn't wake up. Sometimes she'll fall asleep again for a little while, if we keep putting the pacifier back in. Naps are good - she'll take two long naps (2 hours or so, with a break in the middle for the pacifier).

I have two questions for you guys - first, how many ounces of milk do you give your baby at each feeding? I'm wondering how much pumped milk I should tell our nanny to give DD for two feedings during the day. She's on 4 feeds a day at the moment - approx. 7:30am, 11:30am, 4pm, 7pm. I'm thinking maybe 6 oz?

And for those of you have this issue, what do you do about your baby's naps and your older child's social life/boredom? The morning nap won't be a problem, as DS is at camp in the morning, but in the afternoon he's normally in the park with his friends, and it seems unfair to keep him inside for 1.5 or 2 hours while DD is napping in the afternoon. Do you end up having your baby nap on the go?

30. NorthStar

pear / 1881 posts

@Beehive: Have you tried doing any bottles yet and if so, how much would she drink? Our guy won't take any more than 4 oz, so because of that, he is eating about every 2.5 hours. I'd love to stretch it out, but he won't budge. I also think that it's fairly normal that pumped milk bottles aren't more than 4-5 oz. I think the biggest thing is that she is getting enough ounces for the day (in whatever shape that comes). I feel like it's a guessing game to see how it goes and what works best while you are at work.

As far as your son and keeping him busy in the afternoon, I'm not sure. Do you have a yard, where the nanny could have a monitor to watch the baby and they could play outside?

Good luck tomorrow! The first day is always hard.

31. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@maggierose: I read your birth story, crazy story, glad you made it to the hospital! Were you planning on a med-free birth?
    I hear you on there not being enough hours in the day. Time really does go soo fast. If I could afford to work part-time that would be my ideal also, but not gonna happen.

Solids - Em is going to be 5 months tomorrow, I've given her a 'taste' of potatoes and carrots but both came right back out so we'll continue to wait awhile. I will do BLW.

@NorthStar: Hope the supplements help you!
    @Beehive: Hope your first day back to work goes well!
    Em drinks 4 oz bottles. She nurses between 5 and 6, bottles at 10 and 3, nurses at 6 and 8:30.

32. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@NorthStar: Thank you! It was a nice long leave, I can't complain... I'm looking forward to getting into a routine with work + 2 kids. I just hope things aren't crazy busy right away... not sure what I'm walking into!

That's a good point about the oz... she has had bottles here and there, but I've never been away for more than one feeding at a time. I think our nanny has given 4 or 5 oz bottles, you're right. Maybe for tomorrow I'll say 5 oz, and see if she finishes them or leaves any milk behind. And I'll need to see how much I pump!

Unfortunately we don't have a yard - we're in a high-rise in NYC. There are fantastic parks right outside our door, but that would definitely mean an outside nap for DD. Maybe she'll nap well in the fresh air...

33. NorthStar

pear / 1881 posts

@Beehive: That is a good plan. She might also eat more tomorrow and the first few days as a way for comfort since you will be gone. So, don't be surprised if that happens.

@josina: How do you get her to go so long between feedings?! I wish I had that because it is so annoying feeding him so often on the weekends (when I'm not working). I'm hoping once we start solids in 2 weeks that he will go longer.

34. Ajsmommy

pomegranate / 3355 posts

@Beehive: the maximum bottle I ever gave dd was 4 oz. However I know others do give 5-6 oz bottles. I personally do 3-4 oz bottles for tyler now. But Tyler nurses in the morning before daycare and in the evening to sleep and over night.... I know they are supposed to get 21-26 oz's in a 24 hr period. So for tyler he does 9 oz's at daycare then nurses at least 4 times so I guesstimate Thai he gets 3 oz/session or 12 oz's for 21 oz's total. I wish he'd take more at daycare then maybe he'd cut out an over night session

As for what to do with ds while dd naps....my 3.5 yo will solo play or I'll do a craft with her (paint, color, make slime, water play, play a game ).I don't feel like it's hindering her playtime, in fact I feel like she gets more one on one time and she loves that. Can you have some a activities for your nanny to do??

35. NorthStar

pear / 1881 posts

@Beehive: Also, how old is DS? Could they do some learning stuff during nap time (letter, colors, numbers, etc.)?

36. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@NorthStar: I should specify that that's at daycare, when she's fussy with bottles, so she only takes two usually.
    On weekends she usually nurses every 3 hours still. We're so busy on weekends this summer that it's hard for me to even have her on any sort of schedule.

37. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@josina: Thanks!
    @NorthStar: @Ajsmommy: DS is 4.5. He would have no problem playing or doing activities at home while DD is napping, I just feel bad because summer = running around outside... That is a good idea, though, to come up with activities for them to do together, or use the time for learning.

38. gentlelunette

kiwi / 698 posts

@maggierose: sorry to hear you're not getting much sleep! Things have improved drastically over here. We sleep trained, although I barely even consider it sleep training- the most she's cried for is 10 minutes, off and on, and it's more of a yell like "Hey, where'd my boob go?" She now just rolls over, grunts and groans and goes right to sleep. She usually has one wake up between 3-5am, and has a gigantic feed and then goes back to sleep. Totally manageable and obviously because she's hungry, not because she needs me to soothe her back to sleep. Naps are starting to slowly improve, except now she prefers to sleep in her crib and hates the wrap. If it's not one thing, it's another! Lol.

No solids here yet, but I'm so excited to start. I've been making some purees and will likely combo feed (purees and BLW) from the get-go.

39. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

@Beehive: good luck tomorrow! My situation is a little different because big brother is in care two full days a week. So the baby gets to nap on his own schedule those days. Other days I try to get one good crib nap and the rest on the go. Left to his own devices, he'll take two good naps a day with the occasional third catnap if he needs it. When we are out and about, he cat naps the whole time. 20-30 mins here and there. So far it's worked ok for us. Baby gets to sleep and big brother gets out. I don't know if I'm projecting, but I think T really enjoys being out at the park too. I swear he gets bored at home.

40. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

@gentlelunette: I guess we technically sleep trained too, although I've never thought of it that way. I just nurse T to sleep and put him down and that's that. Sometimes he cries and sometimes he just rolls over and goes to sleep. Rolling over did throw him off and there was a bunch of crying while he got used to sleeping on his side or belly. He also wakes up once between 3-4 usually although sometimes earlier.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee