Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Hey Nov 2012 Mamas!

1. DillonLion

GOLD / eggplant / 11517 posts

@JessLC: her jaundice levels were okay so no further treatment was necessary.

My milk has started to come in! But we are failing miserably at getting a good latch. she has half a bottle of formula after each feeding because of her weight loss, so it is hard for my crap nipples to compare with the perfect formula bottle ones. We will keep at it though! Have an appointment on Wed with lactation consultant and I put in a call to the help line today to get some advice on working on her latching on successfully before she gets hysterical and upset.im pumping after each session and giving her the that milk at the following feeding. This is so crazy hard but I'm working on a goal of two weeks and then I will reassess from threre.

2. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@highwire: good job mama! Latching is really hard, I have both nipples cracked. Ouch. Now that I have had to start pumping anyways, I might start just doing that for awhile until they heal a little more...

3. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@JessLC: oh my gosh I am so sorry! That must be terrible to watch her go through that!

@Travelgirl1: As long as I don't get a fever today, I should be able to go home at 4 pm!

4. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@JessLC: awww poor baby girl! How long are you in for? Hope you're holding up okay.

@highwire: Do you have a nipple shield? I used to cry watching A get so upset with herself trying to latch. She used to thrash her little head from side to side and cry, bless her. She does so much better now and can calm herself much better. I'm sure C will find it easier in time.

5. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@kml636: Yay! Hope you're back with your baby girl really soon.

6. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@kml636: I had a nipple injury (cracked and then a blister) and pumping for a few days really made a difference for us. Then I wasn't as stressed about the pain of nursing and he stil got fed breast milk. Did they get cracked from latch issues? At 4 weeks we are still struggling to overcome a shallow latch.

7. petuniasandpearls

cherry / 220 posts

We had a 3 hr and then a 3.5 hour stretch of sleep last night! Over an 11 hour span, I slept about 7 hours---it was great!

Nursing is going ok...M has a tough time latching when my boobs are super full (and they are slightly cracked from the first 2 days...slowly, slowly getting a little better) . I bought a pump yesterday, and may start pumping a little before I feed her when she goes 3.5-4 hours between feedings. Sometimes when they are super full she isn't draining them all the way either so it might be nice to finish them off with a pump. Is this a good idea? I didn't anticipate starting pumping for at least another 2 weeks...

8. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@highwire: I'm glad you're seeing a LC. I hope they are able to help. We have found latching to be a challenge even at 4 weeks. It sounds like you're doing everything right for your baby girl.

9. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@ChelseaRose: I think my LO also had a shallow latch. Now that I'm aware of it, it's getting better, but I'm glad to know pumping for a few days worked for you!

10. mrsjyw

GOLD / wonderful apricot / 22646 posts

@petuniasandpearls: ive been pumping the last few days when I'm realy full or afterward if I stil feel swollen. Helps a lot and jisy bought freezer bags to start our stash...

I've started dripping a ton.... breast pads ftw.

Got 3 3 hour stretches of sleep between last nighy and this am... wish every night could be like that!

@jesslc: aw I'm so sorry. Poor baby, hope u both get home.soon!

11. petuniasandpearls

cherry / 220 posts

@mrsjyw: I've started dripping too...I thought baby overflowed her diaper while I was feeding her. Nope, it was the other boob!

12. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@mrsjyw: @petuniasandpearls: another mama leaking over here. Yesterday morning I woke up with a hug wet spot on my nursing tank. I was mostly annoyed that all that milk was wasted!

13. SLR

clementine / 824 posts

Ugh, add me to the leaky list! I thought it would get better over the past week, but no such luck.

Do you ladies have an idea of how much milk you are producing? Both the ped and LC have said that it sounds like I have excess, which hopefully is the cause of Em's spit up issues. When full, I can pump 5oz out of a side. I wish I could tell how much she was getting when she nurses. I've tried pumping when she is done eating to see if that gives me an idea, but I'm not sure that it does.

Last time she nursed today, she was done and passed out after only 3-4 minutes. But she'll probably be hungry again in an hour.

I don't know if it's better to pump it all out, or just enough so I'm not uncomfortable and a leaky mess.

14. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@SLR: I don't think you should pump too much if you have an oversupply because then your body will think that there is a higher demand for milk and will keep making a lot.

15. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

leaky mamas - anyone else seen these?
    I'm tempted to get them because it totally feels like a waste when I know I'm soaking my breast pad with perfectly good milk!
    http://www.amazon.com/Milkies-Milk-Saver-Breast-Collector-Storage/dp/B001SMBRWO

I've only pumped once and didn't get much but I don't know if I did it right or for long enough.. Baby Girl sometimes pulls herself off and coughs, and has spit up A LOT after a particularly long feeding session before so I feel like I have plenty of milk in there (sounds like some things you described @SLR).
    I still have no idea how to fit in pumping at all when she's eating so frequently without my supply going crazy.

16. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@lindseykaye: that's my fear too, I don't want to create more milk!

17. immabeetoo

honeydew / 7687 posts

hey hey!! i've been reading on my phone but am terrible at typing on it so haven't posted.. we closed on our house yesterday and are moving in 2 weeks so it is a zoo!!

wanted to share a pic - sorry for the watermark but i'm leery of sharing pics online and thought it would make me feel better.

baby scg00387 was born at 7.7 19.5.. will post a birth story later but I think we've had it pretty lucky! A few rough cluster feeding nights but mostly 2-3 hours of sleep day and night in his bassinet. He gained 2 ounces from discharge to 2 days later at the pediatrician and I am liking breastfeeding better than I thought. I had a 2nd degree tear & two bilateral tears that are rougher to heal than I thought

@lindseykaye I bought one and used it while I pumped the other boob this morning, I thought it worked fine! A little awkward, not sure the best way of holding it in/on yet.

@kml636 how are you doing? saw you were in with an infection, feeling better?

@highwire so glad induction went ok, I was checking in on ya!!

@JessLC oh no!!! hope you're out of the hospital soon

For those of you who have seen an LC did you have specific problems?? We saw one in the hospital but I was so out of it. I have trouble getting him to open wide enough for a great latch, and when I'm sleepy I know I let him stay on with a bad one just to eat and then my nipples are super sore. Thinking of calling to see one on Monday to get to where it's great but not sure since we're doing pretty well and haven't had to supplement, etc.

18. MrsMccarthy

honeydew / 7295 posts

@highwire: congra ts mama!!!!

19. immabeetoo

honeydew / 7687 posts

Oh and has anyone tried baby wearing yet?? Intimidated to try our moby or ktan!!

20. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@scg00387: such a cutie! Congrats!

I'm home now, better but it was a terrible two days .
    I tried the Kwan a few days ago. Hard to Get the positioning right. LO fell asleep right away!

21. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@kml636: So pleased your home! Rest up and take it easy moma!

@scg00387: So gorgeous, congrats! Great news that you're liking breastfeeding. I've seen several LCs, mostly in the hospital, because of a bad latch. Some were helpful, some annoyed me for various reasons. The last one was fab, maybe because I had a meltdown and she felt bad, but she made the most sense and we'be come on great since then. Now my attitude is yeah we use a nipple shield, so what, bite me breastfeeding police. And I feel so.much.better!

22. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@lindseykaye: @SLR: @mrsjyw: @ChelseaRose: omg the leakiness! worst moments so far: being on the toilet with both boobs in full flow and changing A on her change table while I leaked all over her and my belly. Nice. I'm sure I had some glamour about me once.

23. DillonLion

Rough night...cranky baby but my boob actually manage to quiet and comfort her which makes me so happy since nursing has been very hard. She's nit really latched on but she's just hanging with it I guess. Whatever stops the crying for now...my supply is slowly picking up. I pump after every feeding since she barely gets anything when I nurse. Pumped 1/2 an ounce last time, which is the most so far

24. mrsjyw

@scg00387: adorable!!!!

Haven't seen an lc yet since the birth... we've managed to get thru hurdles at home on our own. But def want to start attending the mother's group they have at the hospital.

A slept from 10-5 last night! :O totall fluke I'm sure but ill take it! I kept waking up bcuz it didn't feel rt... but didbt want to wake him for a feeding either.

Also re:leakage. Bought some breast pads and I've had fewer accidental stains and drips~

Ps I was thinking maybe we should start a fresh thread since.we all our babies now?

25. mrsjyw

@highwire: that's how my supply was... went from .5oz the first cpl days to 2 oz. In a few days. Lo still sometimes latches bad and it takes a good five ten minutes of pulling out and making him.relatch... and also using nipple shield on my left breast w flat.nip
    ...dont think it'll ever be perfect but def gets easier!! Xoxo hang in therr mama

26. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@highwire: oh man. If you can just get her to latch! I hope she gets it soon!

27. Periwinkle

pear / 1879 posts

@mrsjyw: so jealous of A's sleep marathon! I hope you got some sleep in there too. Do you feel like a new person today?!

28. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

Good night sleep for me too! A has finally stopped sleeping on me and in her Moses basket! We've had four nights of success, touch wood. Swaddling her arms was the key. Now she won't be put doen for naps, but I'll take what I can get.

My alarm didn't go off at 3.30 to feed her though and shw slept tull 5.30. I felt pretty bad about it since I'm sure she's not heavy enough to sleep through yet but wow that sleep wad good!

@mrsjyw: the new thread idea is a good one!

29. DillonLion

What does your baby sleep in? We tried swaddling but she broke free, and then used the miracle blanket (I think? It was a hand me down) but she is busting out of that...which we were better swaddlers. Does your LO go in a sleep sack or what?

ETA: she's been in a Swaddleme. Thinking about ordering the halo sleep sack to try

30. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@highwire: A sleeps in a swaddle sleepsack so her arms are tight but legs aren't. It has made a huge difference! At first we only put her in her sleeper as that's what our pre natal class advised but that didn't work for us as she'd only sleep on me. Looks like she needs to feel wrapped up and not be able to distract herself with her hands.

31. Mrs. Tricycle

blogger / pear / 1964 posts

I'm jealous of your good sleeps. Today is a super rough day. No sleep last night and now Im so overtired I can't fall asleep even though I want to. So anxious that all the places for the baby to sleep are unsafe - I'm using all my awake hours at night to Google - and that's driving me semi-crazy. Hopefully tomorrow is better as Im super overwhelmed right now.

32. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@Mrs. Tricycle: where does baby sleep? sorry you're so tired, better sleep is around the corner, I promise!

33. DillonLion

@Mrs. Tricycle: hang in there! You are doing a great job as a mommy by making sure baby is well cared for. try and resteven if you can't sleep, maybe just put on a movie and zone out? Can someone else watch the baby for a couple of hours so you can rejuvenate a little?

34. MamaMoose

GOLD / squash / 13464 posts

@Mrs. Tricycle: did you get any pain killers or anything else that will knock you out? I took a Percocet last night after LOs 10:00 feeding and let hubs take over from there. I got great sleep and was still ok to wake up and handle the 2:00 feeding and then get back to sleep. It helps me relax and get over the worry a bit. I also panic that there is no where safe for LO to sleep. Especially because she gets reflux at night.

35. MamaMoose

GOLD / squash / 13464 posts

@mrsjyw: what did your ped advise about letting them sleep. Mine said that I need to wake her to eat because it's important for her growth and my supply. We do three hours between feedings during the day and four hours at night. I hate to wake her at night when she's sleeping well but so far I do think it's been good for her. Especially since she's on the small side. We are going to the pedi tomorrow to get her checked out because her poop has some mucus in it so I'm interested to see what she has gained.

36. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@scg00387: what a handsome little guy! we haven't tried baby wearing yet. i feel like we are saving up a lot of these "weapons" in case she gets really fussy and our rocking/shushing doesn't work.

@mrsjyw: man i'm so jealous! L has never slept a 7 hour stretch, ever. at most its been 4.5 hours. like the idea of the new thread too!

@travelgirl1: so glad the swaddling is working out! sleep is wonderful, isn't it?

@highwire: we swaddle L with aden & anais and the miracle blanket. not sure if the swaddling makes a difference to be honest. she's always slept around 4 hour stretches at night, swaddled or not.

@Mrs. Tricycle: sorry you are having a rough time! try to stop googling - it'll really help your sanity. are you googling terms like "rock n play SIDS"? if you are, just remember that the websites that pop up are almost all going to be negative results - so the sample set is biased. like, all the results are going to be websites that talk about how the two are related, not the ones that say they aren't. the hormones seriously up the anxiety, so i hope it passes for you soon! hang in there.

@MamaMoose: my ped said that you can let them sleep once they pass their original birth weight, otherwise you should wake them up every 3-4 hours to feed them. L's poop was mucousy for the past few days and green, and i'm pretty sure it was from the asparagus that i was eating for a few days. once i stopped, it stopped too. back to seedy and yellow!

we're back from the hospital...they drained the abscess on her arm and now she's just on a course of antibiotics. i'm eating yogurt like its my job because i'm so scared of getting thrush! my back is killing me though, the pull out chair in the hospital was horribly uncomfortable and i've been abusing my back by the way i lift L. i keep lifting with my back instead of my legs and arms. ugh.

37. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@highwire: we like the miracle blanket or woombie at night. She busts out of everything else!

@Mrs. Tricycle: me too, I drive myself crazy with that stuff. Like will the rock and play give her a flat head? Then I put the snuggler thing in to help w that and I freak out because it says add nothing to the rock and play. One night DH was holding her and they both fell asleep and I woke up freaking out to her sound asleep in the comforter! Gah! I wish I could not google!

38. DillonLion

Weight check at the pedi tomorrow morning. Hope for good news. Cannot stand breastfeeding. My nipples are in perfect shape since she never latches on successfully for more than a few seconds. But I hate having to have my nipples stimulated every few hours by the pump. It is nauseating!!! But pumping is the only part that I feel remotely positive about, since I can see the results instantaneously. Sigh.

39. immabeetoo

honeydew / 7687 posts

@JessLC thanks!! I feel the same way about the swings - we haven't tried either of ours yet because we haven't "needed" to but I bet I will when my husband goes back to work and I need to go to the bathroom.. ha!

@highwire we've either been using aden+anais swaddle blankets or the woombie with a halo sleepsack swaddle over it. It took a few times to get the a+a swaddles to stick, but they're definitely the tightest. The woombie is super easy and I like that it zips from the bottom for diaper changes. The halo sleepsack swaddle came from the hospital - he can get his arms out of it in a hot second when he is this little. But I like it over the woombie if it feels chilly and our heat hasn't kicked in yet. We have swaddled for every nap and night sleep and it's been working great for 2/3 hours stretches in the bassinet!

@travelgirl1 I think that is the right attitude to have - if it works, it works right?? I am going to call our hospital and see about a consult...

@jesslc glad you're home! wish I had advice about back pain but I definitely breastfeed leaning forward and bringing myself to him and can't seem to do it any other way even though I know better, same as what you said

pumped & went out by myself today to target and kohls.. felt like a new woman... until I was a hormonal sweaty mess in Target check out. Ha!

40. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@scg00387: I still haven't gone out on my own yet. My husband thinks that I should, but I haven't felt ready. My LO is just over a month old. I only went out alone (without my husband) with my LO for the first time last Thursday.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee