Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Hey Nov 2012 Mamas!

1. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@JessLC: we're trying out a soother for the first time and it cut the the usual 2 hour nursing session on half but still awake and taking her on and out of her Moses basket to comfort her. It saved my nips but still might end up sleeping on me. Sigh.

2. Mrs. Tricycle

blogger / pear / 1964 posts

@highwire: I bet you're beat!! You just worked your butt off!!

3. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@highwire: Phew! Glad to hear you're finally getting fed!!! Hope you're recovering well!

4. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

Congrats to all the Nov mamas! Enjoy your little ones

5. Andrea

GOLD / wonderful coffee bean / 18478 posts

@highwire: congrats!!

6. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

Last night was rough. Middle of the night wakings/feedings are usually a one hour or less event to change him, feed him, and get him settled again. Last night (early this morning) I was up from about 3-5am. Now it isn't even 7am and I'm awake again. I guess we were spoiled with his earlier sleep pattern. I hope he gets back to it because I can't do too many nights of this.

7. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

I have a question about contractions since so many of you have been through this so recently:) I woke up to low crampiness, that progressed in a wave to more intense pain. I was laying on my left side. This went in and out for a while, and I was scared to move because I didn't know what was going on. On a scale of 1-10 pain, they were like a 3 or so? I wasn't sure if they were contractions, because I thought you could feel your tummy tighten up with contractions and I didn't think I could feel any tightening. BUT I eventually had to get up to pee, and I realized that my tummy was a huge HARD rock! So even though I didn't really feel it tighten up, I just felt increasing and decreasing crampy pain waves, my tummy was definitely hard as a big rock. So I got up and went to the bathroom, and it hurt to walk and to sit/go. As I walked to the toilet I thought "Okay, we are definitely having a baby today..." But then NOTHING. It stopped once I got up and started moving around! What is this? Is that what false labor is? Or is that just BH? I didn't know BH were painful?

8. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@ChelseaRose: How many times do you have to get up during the night? Sorry you had such a rough one. We weren't so bad, although Operation Sleep in the Moses Basket Not on Mummy was only successful from about 4am to 7am. Still, better than nothing...

9. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@PrincessBaby: I never had either so can't help but how exciting! Could be the start!

10. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@PrincessBaby: could just be your uterus practicing for the big day! For me, BH contractions felt more like period cramps or indigestion. Real contractions started in my lower back and came around to the front lower belly. Sounds like you're getting close!!

@ChelseaRose: same here. I tried to put her down at 9pm like usual and she fussed until 1am. I think its because she had a gigantic poop at 8:30 (hadn't pooped since 10am) and had all this freed up room in her belly and was hungry. So I fed her every hour on the hour and put her down like 6 times and picked hr back up again before she finally settled down for the night.

@travelgirl1: at least you're making progress! By the way, were you the one that asked about your baby's poop being green ams kinda mucusy? LO had that yesterday and this morning and I'm wondering what it is. She doesn't seem to be in pain. But its different than the yellow seedy poop she usually has. I'm wondering if its because I ate a lot of asparagus yesterday or maybe I had milk with my cereal. Hmm. Newborn mysteries!

11. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@JessLC: I went to sleep around 9:30 and he was hanging out with my husband. Then at 11:30 my husband woke me up to feed him, which I did and then put him to bed in his crib. He's a really loud sleeper and I can't sleep at all with him near me. He was stirring around 3 or 3:30, so I got up and changed him, nursed him, and tried to get him to sleep again. He just sat there in my arms completely wide awake for the next hour or so. He got up again before 7 and after feeding him he wouldn't sleep so I brought him into our room, let him fall asleep with me in bed and then put him in the co-sleeper (which barely gets used). At some point I told my husband to go put him back in the crib and he's been there since then and it is now 10am.

12. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@JessLC: Yes it was me who posted about that : ) We were worried it might be a dairy intollerance because there's lots of that in my family, but I called the doctor and they said it was probably nothing and not to worry... anyway she had it for a few days and it's pretty much back to normal now, although I have cut right back on dairy... I've replaced milk in my tea and cereal with almond milk so just have dairy once a day.

Aren't newborn issues nuts? Now I'm worried about her strange but painful looking diaper rash, and some little red spots she has under her eyes. I really don't have a clue what I'm doing, lol.

13. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@PrincessBaby: I never really had Braxton hicks but my contractions felt like a tightening in my pelvis. So maybe you will have a baby SOON!

14. DillonLion

GOLD / eggplant / 11517 posts

@PrincessBaby: those sound like contractions to me! how are you doing now?

today was worlds better than yesterday. we should be going home tomorrow. baby girl has just been sleeping most of the time! and i just love her. my goodness.

15. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@highwire: isn't it amazing how you feel about them? Me and A are curled up in bed together just now and she's so warm and sleepy and snuggly. Heart melt!

16. SLR

clementine / 824 posts

@travelgirl1: Yes, BF'ing is seriously tough stuff. I underestimated just how much of a challenge it is. We are getting better and she acts like she wants to BF, but still fights it with her hands in her face making it difficult to get a decent latch. Once she's on, she only nurses for ten minutes and then she's passed out.

@ChelseaRose: Was your visit with the LC helpful? I saw two different LC's in the hospital who told me two totally different things (along with numerous nurses who tried to help out). I was planning to call tomorrow about a pump rental and to make an appointment for a visit with them. I think a one hour session could be beneficial for me.

My latest worries are her eating habits and digestion. At first, I was afraid that she wasn't eating enough since she only will nurse for 10 minutes at a time and everyone has told me I should be getting 20 - 30 minutes a session. But, up until yesterday, we were getting plenty of wet and dirty diapers, so I'm not sure sure that is an issue. I'm not sure what is normal at this point, but I'm thinking milk supply is not AT ALL an issue (wet t-shirt contest anyone?).

But...Yesterday and today she started spitting up (vomiting?) quite forcefully and in larger amounts than normal spit up. She has also always seemed EXTREMELY legargic immediately after nursing and her eyes are kind of glazed over. I initally had thought that she was just getting so relaxed and sleepy, but now with the projectile spit ups, I'm not so sure. Has anyone experienced anything like this?? After napping for a stretch and a diaper change to rile her up a bit she seems okay. No real fussiness, and she still is showing signs that she is hungry.

I've been a worried mess... I called the ped's office today and they said it sounds like spit up and to feed her no longer than she wants it, burp every 5 minutes, and sit her upright for a 1/2 hour after each feeding. At the doctor appt last Saturday, she hadn't lost any more weight, but hadn't gained either. We go back for a weight check this weekend, so I guess that is the true test of how she is doing.

17. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@highwire: I am so glad you guys are doing so well and you'll have her home tomorrow!!!! I am just crampy and twiddling my thumbs over here...No more BH or any type of any kind of contraction....Boooo:(

18. DillonLion

@PrincessBaby: i had the same thing in the days leading upto my induction and i really think it helped move things along as quickly as they did. i was already 3cm when we started and my labor progressed very well. hope the same for you!

19. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@ChelseaRose: think I'm looking at a repeat of last night. Ugh.

20. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@SLR: ug, it's so hard. Seems like maybe she's getting too much at once? It's tough stuff. I was thinking my LO was struggling with oversupply because she chokes on the breast after latching. It's hard to know what to do! Good luck!

21. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

What is everyone doing with their LO for nighttime sleep? I would be tempted to co sleep, but we have a pillow top mattress and the dog always jumping on the bed so I'm too paranoid!

Right now I have her in the rock and play sleeper next to the bed. She had been sleeping pretty well in it if swaddled in a woombie or miracle blanket.

22. mrsjyw

GOLD / wonderful apricot / 22646 posts

@SLR: I am no expert but maybe it is reflux? Read a lil about it on the oct mama's thread... hugggs bf is si hard

@kml636: we have a pack n play set up next to my side of the bed that we use and then eventually end up in nursery to change/feed him. I fell.asleep w him in the glider yest...

Tonight I am sleeping on the couch and he's in the swing. Just because that's where we ended up falling asleep for the night... havent been up to change him yet.

Anyone else teary?

Had tears twice today. Once at dr when we found out A hadnt gained any weight since last fri. (He'd lost a lot at his first appt). And then after dinner.I cried a lil bit on dh's shoulder (literally) just from pure exhaustion and sadness over how hard this all is even tho we've been so lucky not to have any major issues... ih the hormones!

23. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@JessLC: How's it going tonight? Better?

@kml636: combo of trying to settle her in her Moses basket next to our bed and if she won't settle (9 times out of 10) then she sleeps on me. Baby girl hates not being held.

@mrsjyw: I spent pretty much all of week 2 in tears and never because I was sad, just very hormonal. I had a big LC meltdown, one on the subway, several at home. Oh and I cried yesterday because after lobbying to give her a soother, the sight of one in my little girl's mouth made me feel like I'd failed. Tears are very normal, don't worry.

24. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@mrsjyw: I cried yesterday when DH ran out for awhile. Tears of gratitude for our healthy girl and also tears for just bring overwhelmed with changes!

25. DillonLion

@mrsjyw: already had a major meltdown. Night two has been a little more challenging even though I knew to expect it. Been able to get some stretches of sleep but I've had these bad nightmares almost every time so I wake up super upset. DH has been a saint just letting me talk it out and hold me so that has helped. I don't know what I would do without him in so many ways right now.

26. Mrs. Tricycle

Oh goodness I cry every evening around dinner time. I'm ok before and after, but from 5-8 I'm pretty much a weepy mess.

I've been up since 2:00 AM - baby will not stay asleep for anything. My mom is spending the night, so in a couple hours I think she'll take over.

27. Mrs. Tricycle

@kml636: I'm so paranoid, and DH is even worse, so LO has been swaddled in his crib. We use the R and P for naps, but not nighttime sleep.

28. petuniasandpearls

cherry / 220 posts

I have to laugh at all of the posts that have shown up here for me since 11pm...looks like we are all having quite a few middle of the night wakings

Baby Girl sleeps better during the day...it's odd. She sleeps in the same place but yet during the day sleeping 2-2.5 hours is common. At night, I'm lucky if she goes down for 90 minutes.

We have our first pedi appt at 1130 today...hopefully it will go well!

29. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@travelgirl1: actually it was much better. She cluster fed between 8-10pm, was down at 10:15 and woke up at 230 and 6. How about you?

@mrsjyw: I cried every day for like 2-3 weeks postpartum. Totally normal, but it feels so crappy! Hang in there. Its the hormones and sleep deprivation talking right now.

@kml636: we have her in a newborn napper that came with our pack n play. We had her in a cosleeper next to our bed for awhile but she seems to sleep better in the napper. Think its more cozy.

@SLR: I rarely got more than 20 minutes for a nursing session. Usually 15-20 and I think she is gaining weight just fine. Maybe because u have a fast let down she doesn't need to spend as much time at the boob. Sorry about the projectile spit up. Maybe reflux??

@petuniasandpearls: maybe she has day night reversal? It should correct itself over the next month and hopefully you'll get more skeep!

30. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

We are having a much better night over here. He woke up to nurse at 4:30 after sleeping since 11pm. I went to sleep as soon as he was down, so I got a solid 5 hour stretch! The LC that I saw earlier this week said she thought he could sleep longer than 3-4 hours because he's bigger now (over 10 lbs) and she was right!

He's been sleeping swaddled in his crib one and off since about 2 weeks (he's 4 weeks old now) because he is sooooo noisy when he's sleeping. The co-sleeper bassinet rarely gets used other than as a place for me to set up his monitor. I felt really bad about him sleeping in the crib at first, but I think it works better for all of us. With the monitor on I still get to him when he's just stirring and not really awake or crying.

31. MamaMoose

GOLD / squash / 13464 posts

First night home was really rough. She barely slept at all and neither did my husband or I!! The good news is my milk is in and with the assistance of a nipple shield she has been nursing like a champ. It seems we either get good sleeping with bad eating or good eating with bad sleeping! Despite the fact that for the past few days/nights she was perfectly fine to sleep wherever we put her (PnP napper, bassinet, hospital crib) last night she would NOT sleep anywhere but our arms. And even then she would prefer that you be standing up and moving around. Hubs and I took turns with her but I still had to get up over and over to feed and I couldn't sleep when it was his turn anyway. I just get so upset and worried about her (and worried that it will be like this forever and I'll never sleep again) that I can't shut my mind off and sleep even when I have a chance!! Hubs FINALLY got her to go down in the RnP sometime around sun up and she's been snoozing ever since. She is a SUPER loud sleeper so we probably will be trying the crib tonight at some point. She also tends to burp/spit up a couple hours after she eats which FREAKS me out but luckily the ped actually saw her do it when he was makIng rounds in the hospital and he said she definitely knows to turn her head and get it out so it was nothing to worry about. She's just a bit of a gassey girl.

Thank Goodness my mom flies in today and will be able to give us some rest!!

32. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@JessLC: Yay, that's great! Do you feel better for it? Much better for us too, thanks. Swaddling A's arms worked a treat and she slept in Moses basket all night but she slept so well she wouldn't wake up to feed! I tried twice and she hardly ate at all. Not sure how to fix that.

@ChelseaRose: glad you had a better night too! Do you know how much they are meant to weigh before they can sleepthrough? sA has her birth weight back but maybe still too small..

33. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

How are you Mamas feeling? I was doing so well, went for a short 10min walk yesterday and hadn't needed my prescriptions for Motrin or Tylenol with codeine.

This morning holy crap I woke up with terrible cramping and a lot of blood. I've been writhing in pain! Ugh. Staying in bed today although my in laws are coming today. Take it easy!

34. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@travelgirl1: the LC said that usually if a baby is over 10 lbs and around six weeks then they should be capable of sleeping for 5-6 hour stretches. They also need to be gaining well so that you no longer need to wake them to feed them.

35. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@kml636: ouch, take is easy today! Glad you have some help!
    @ChelseaRose: Thanks! Looks like A has a few more weeks of ne waking her up for feeds then.

How much do your babies spit up? Poor little A just burped three tines loudly then brought up her entire breakfast. She's never brought up so much at once before, wondering whether it's normal....

36. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@travelgirl1: yes I feel much more rested today. The previous night was the first night she really fussed like that. She usually sleeps 4 hour stretches at night so we only have to wake up once or twice. I'm so glad the swaddling worked out! My LO seems kinda indifferent to swaddling so sometimes we do it and sometimes we don't. She doesn't seem Affected either way. For getting your baby to wake up, u can try changing the diaper, tickling or flicking the feet, placing cold hands on her body or placing a cold wash cloth on her...talking loudly helps too.

37. MamaMoose

GOLD / squash / 13464 posts

@kml636: I definitely notice it if I don't rest enough. Try not to push it!! Heavy bleeding is no fun!

For those of you who need a laugh (I know I do after the night I had) here is a funny for you. I peed my pants last night. Not like oh I sneezed and a little pee came out. Legitimate pee running down my pant leg!!! I had just fed LO and needed to go but I wanted to clean my nipple shield before I got my squirt bottle ready to go. Well as soon as I started washing the nipple shield and the warm water started running over my hands I immediately just started peeing! I didn't even know it was happening until I felt my pant leg get all wet. So many fun side effects that come with having a baby!!!

38. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@ChelseaRose: omg. 5-6 hour stretches of sleep sounds so good right now! I think LO is just over 9lbs so we have a little ways tko go. We have her one month appt tomorrow so we will see.

39. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@MamaMoose: lol! So funny! I sneezed the other day on the way to the bathroom and a little pee came out. Sigh. I thought that was just related to pregnancy!

40. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@MamaMoose: Awwww I feel bad for laughing! That's all you want in the middle of the night, eh? That's one reason I'm glad I had a c-section, my pelvic floors are A Okay, I hope anyway!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee