Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Hey Nov 2012 Mamas!

1. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Anyone else totally enamored with what their LO does right after they finish feeding? She looks like a drunken monkey and does these sleepy stretches and sighs loudly. Its so cute, I can't stand it!

OK also - how does your LO tell you that she/he is done feeding? Usually mine just pops herself off the first side and I offer her the other. Sometimes she will just keep her lips tightly pursed and look elsewhere. so in that case i know she is done. Other times she will push away or fight me and cry a little, but in that case if I keep pushing her to it, she will latch on sometimes and feed for a good amount of time. So...I don't know whether to keep trying if she pushes away or not. Any other mamas experiencing this?

2. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@JessLC: mine also is a drunken monkey! She falls asleep every time!

3. MamaMoose

GOLD / squash / 13464 posts

@highwire: My doc couldn't break my water either! Her head was so low that it was blocking all the fluid. It all came out after I delivered her and we have no idea when it broke.

4. SLR

clementine / 824 posts

Wow – so much action here since I was last able to check in!!!
    A huge congrats to @kml636: @ mrsjyw: @mrs. tricycle: @ksnow: @scg00387: @PETUNIASANDPEARLS: @mamamoose:

So many precious babies….I hope I’m not missing anyone!!! So far, I’ve quickly skimmed through, but can’t wait to go back and read more about everyone’s stories.

@highwire: Thinking of you! Not much longer!!

As promised, a few more details on the birth of our little girl. After my doctor appointment last Monday and being told that I had not progressed since the week prior (was still at 1.5 cm and 50%), I was starting to assume we’d be waiting until today, our planned induction date, to meet our daughter. But mothers really do know best, because my mom kept telling me that internal exams can often move things along quickly and that both of her labors came on very suddenly, with no steady build up of contractions. Well, that evening (around 7pm) on our way home from a movie, I suddenly started getting really crampy every 4-5 minutes. After a hot bath brought zero relief and the pain started in my back, I began to think it was real. I called the doctor around midnight and we arrived at the hospital at 1am, at which point I was at 3cm. Things moved pretty quickly from there.

I had originally wanted to skip the pain meds, but later thought that would be a pretty stupid move. Why be miserable if I don’t have to, right? Also, I didn’t realize just how uncomfortable back labor would be. Around 3am and somewhere around 5cm, I said bring on the epidural. Much better from then on...

The contractions slowed and we were then waiting around for a couple hours. At 5:30am and being told that I was at 7cm, my husband left the room to tell my parents it might be a little while longer. But in the 10 minutes he was out of the room and by the time he came back, I was at 10 and ready to push.

The neonatologists were on standby due to some heavy meconium stained fluid. Also, it was shift change for the nurses, so I had double the hospital staff in the room for delivery. I think there were at least 10-12 people in the room. So much for modesty at this point!

After an hour of pushing and going WAAAAY too long without sleep, she finally arrived. The cord was wrapped around her neck so my husband wasn’t able to cut it. Also they had to remove a good amount of meconium from her - but aside from that she was as happy and healthy as can be, scoring a 9 on the Apgar (proud mama moment already!).

We came home Thanksgiving morning and while it was nice to be home, the first few days were pure exhaustion. She would not sleep unless she was held, so we were on shifts for the first few nights. Not fun after already going on a couple days with minimal ZZZ’s.

Breastfeeding has been quite a challenge for us, so I look forward to sharing our experiences and getting some advice from all of you ladies in the coming weeks. I plan to go to the hospital’s mother-baby hour tomorrow morning and want to schedule a follow up visit with a lactation consultant. I met with two in the hospital that gave conflicting advice, and then received two other suggested routes from the pediatricians. At this point, feeding is definitely my biggest struggle and worry.

So, enough of my blabbing….here she is. The new love of my life.

5. Periwinkle

pear / 1879 posts

Oh my goodness! Such exciting news going on! I've been MIA for a while and wanted to check in with you all.

@mamamoose: Congratulations on your little girl! You were right about her being a girl! Isn't that funny how we know sometimes? I can't wait to hear about how you're doing.

6. Periwinkle

pear / 1879 posts

@SLR: She is just gorgeous! Congratulations on such a beautiful bundle of joy.

@highwire: waiting anxiously to hear any updates! I was so, so sorry to hear about your day and the induction but I know all you want is for your little girl to be here soon.

7. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@JessLC: I love the drunk on milk look! I have a hard time putting her down after feeding, she's so warm and milky and snuggly I want to cuddle her forever! As for when she's done nursing, sometimes she pops off herself but otherwise it's hard to know... That's why I like to give her a bottle too so I know she's getting enough.

@SLR: she is seriously cute stuff! Nursing is very hard at first and every health professional has a different opinion which makes it even harder. For me it was finding a mix of methods that worked and realising that as long as she was healthy and fed, I was doing a good job and it was up to me how I did it. Good luck tomorrow!

8. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@JessLC: I love the way my son looks after a nursing session. He never gets that same expression after being bottle fed.

@SLR: we are still having some breastfeeding issues (on one side only) and are seeing a LC tomorrow morning. It is kinda expensive ($125/hour session), but I really need some one on one help rather than just going to the group at the hospital. My husband is going with us too as he is a big supporter of my continuing to breastfeed and is willing to help in anyway possible. For now we are getting by with breastfeeding on one side and pumping the other. I also just got a My Brest Friend pillow today and I hope it helps us with our positioning and latch issues. I'm pretty sure my little guy is gaining plenty of weight, which the LC will check tomorrow too.

Anyone else seen a LC yet?

9. immabeetoo

honeydew / 7687 posts

@highwire eep thinking positive thoughts your way! I had to get a straight catheter after delivery and it was awe awful so sorry you have one in! Come on out baby highwire!

10. petuniasandpearls

cherry / 220 posts

@ChelseaRose: Im still in the hospital (should go home tomorrow) and all of the nurses here are LCs and I cannot describe how invaluable that has been for us. Baby Girl has taken to nursing fairly easily but they've provided so many tips, tricks, latch analysis, etc. that its made a huge difference for us. Definitely would recommend it!

@Highwire: Good luck! Anxiously awaiting your next update!

11. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@SLR: she is too precious!

12. Mrs. Tricycle

blogger / pear / 1964 posts

@ChelseaRose: I saw like 3 different LCs at the hospital and then one today at my pediatrician's (hello engorgement!). They have offered different advice, but it gives me options. I'd submit your LC bill to your insurance - I feel like a broken record here, but the affordable care act provisions require companies to cove LC visits - worth a shot if you think your policy has renewed since 8/1.

@SLR: she's beautiful!

13. DillonLion

GOLD / eggplant / 11517 posts

Praise the Lord for epis. 6cm and about to get some much needed sleep

14. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@highwire: enjoy that sleep! Thinking of you!
    @ChelseaRose: I've seen loads through the hospital I delivered at. Some fabulous some not so much. They did get me using the nipple shield though and without that I think we'd be exclusive pumpers.

15. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@highwire: 6cm! Woohoo! Almost there mama! Epis are amazing aren't they?

16. Periwinkle

pear / 1879 posts

@highwire: it sounds like you're doing great!!!! Hoping you're getting some good rest now or that your little girl is already here!

17. Mrs. Tricycle

@highwire: Great stuff, huh? You're almost there!!

18. MamaMoose

@highwire: ooo yes. Epis are one of the greatest things the Lord hath made : ) your little lady is going to be here so soon!!!

19. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@highwire: You're so close now!!! I hope you got some much needed rest (and maybe are still sleeping)!

20. PrincessBaby

cantaloupe / 6610 posts

@highwire: woohoo! 6cm!!! Way to show that Olsen who's boss!!!!

21. Mrs. Tricycle

How often is your LO nursing? We were in a manageable every 2-3 hour pattern, but yesterday afternoon he decides he'd really prefer to nurse EVERY hour. Ahhh! I think he's training for the Coney Island hotdog eating contest. If he keeps it up at tho rate, I will no longer have a smal baby!!

22. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@Mrs. Tricycle: Usually every 2-4 hours, with the 4 hour periods being at night. There are some days when he wanted to nurse every hour, but it was usually only for part of the day in the evening. I think it was somewhere between two and three weeks that this happened. It sounds like your little one is just trying to ensure that you have a good milk supply. I'm sure he will be bigger in no time.

23. ChelseaRose

persimmon / 1161 posts

@highwire: Thinking of you! I hope you're cuddling baby Highwire already.

24. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@Mrs. Tricycle: every 2 or three hours, sometimes more. I feel like if she acts hungry, I'm going to feed her but its definitely a challenge!

25. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@highwire: Good luck!!!

26. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@highwire: rest up, baby girl will be here soon! Congrats!

27. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Mrs. Tricycle: early on it was 2-3 hours between feedings but there were some days where she was hungry every hour on the hour for like 5 hours straight. That was not fun. I think those were during her growth spurts. They have them at 7-10 days, and 2-3 weeks usually...then 6 weeks. Now she goes 2-3 hours during the day ans 4 hours at night.

28. MamaMoose

Man this breastfeeding stuff is tough!! I have semi flat nipples so trying to get a good latch with her little mouth has been tough. The good news is that I'm producing a lot of colostrum that I can either hand express or pump and then spoon feed her so at least I know she's getting a full belly. The lactation consultant helped us this morning to make some good progress and she thinks we're going to be just fine. Little girl and I both just have a learning curve : )

29. mrsjyw

GOLD / wonderful apricot / 22646 posts

@MamaMoose: I do too on my left side! It's been a struggle but he's been getting better eacch day! Hang in there mama! Im trying to decide if I shoukd use that one as the pump boob...

30. mrsjyw

@highwire: ahhhh can't wait for baby girl!

@slr: beautiful!!!

31. Mrs. Tricycle

@MamaMoose: Nipple issues here too. They handed out a shield on day two -- totally makes life so much easier for us, even if it's not ideal. I've got no shortage of milk (holy-moly, the stuff is everywhere!), so I haven't seen any negative impacts of using it yet.

32. mrsjyw

@Mrs. Tricycle: six days pp and he's a every 3 hour with a 4 hr stretch a night....

33. Periwinkle

pear / 1879 posts

@Mrs.Tricycle: we are still somewhat inconsistent about nursing times at almost 3 weeks old. We tend to go about 2-3 hours during the day and about 3 or so at night. He sometimes falls asleep at the breast and then will not re-latch, so we have another nursing session quickly.

34. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@Mrs. Tricycle: I wanted to add I had to start giving her a pacifier... Otherwise she would be nursing 24/7! It wasn't part of the ideal plan but its saving my nipples!

35. MamaMoose

@Mrs. Tricycle: we are using a shield too. We had what I thought was our best success yet when she latched for a good long while but when I pulled her off she had given me a bloody blister. Boo!! Luckily doesn't hurt too bad at the moment.

36. travelgirl1

cantaloupe / 6630 posts

@MamaMoose: @Mrs. Tricycle: We're using a nipple shield too, it's a lifesaver.

@kml636: I'm desperate to give her a soother for this reason but DH won't let me. Bad times

37. kml636

pomegranate / 3225 posts

@travelgirl1: Lily luckily is latching well so it hasn't been a problem. So much of motherhood so far is just trying to figure out what works best for your baby and it seems there is no right or wrong answer...

38. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@MamaMoose: my left nipple is flatter than my right. I find that having your boob hang over them when they latch on helped a little bit. It seemed easier for her to get started, like gravity was helping. Leaning over for the first minute or so and then leaning back was my strategy. Not great for your back, but as they get older they learn how to do it on their own.

39. DillonLion

GOLD / eggplant / 11517 posts

Charlotte Rose arrived at 9:22am this morning weighing in at 7lbs, 10 oz. Baby is healthy and alert. I had some post delivery hemmoraging but everything is under control now! Will share more later!

40. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@highwire: yay congrats!! SUCH a pretty name!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee