Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@MMcAlli: my son ate every two hours for ... Almost a year??! He never napped long so our routine of eat/play/nap ended up with him eating every 2 hours. He did eventually get much quicker though and would only take a few minutes to eat.

2. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MMcAlli: DS 1 did 3 hours after his 2 week growth spurt. This guy is still eating every 2 or 2.5 hours during the day with the occasional 3 hour if I'm holding him. I'm still not sure if he is doing it because he's feeling asleep during feedings (and not quite getting full) or he can't make it longer.

3. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@MrsKRB: I just emailed you to join the Facebook group, thanks!

4. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

R was a pound over her birthweight at her 2 week checkup! We definitely don't have a problem eating, she typically can eat on both sides without falling asleep. I'm reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child and he says to never wake a sleeping baby, however yesterday she slept for almost 5 hours during the day, until I had enough and woke her up.

What do you all put your babies to sleep in at night? For the past few nights, we had our AC at 70 degrees, and had R in a sleep onesie and then a Halo sleep sack (arms out), but she's been waking up more than normal. I'm thinking maybe she's cold, or maybe the sleep sack doesn't keep her contained enough? She doesn't seem to like her arms in though. If we swaddle her in a A & A blanket she breaks out pretty quickly. I'm thinking of maybe buying a Woombie, has anyone tried?

5. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@MrsKRB: h sleeps in a cotton sleeper and then swaddled in a muslin blanket. I had the Woombie for my son but tried to introduce it at like 2-3 months or so and he didn't like it so I never used it. Might try it again with dd soon. She stays contained in the blanket swaddle pretty good for now.

6. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@MrsKRB: we have baby sleeping in a cotton zip sleeper + muslin swaddle or one of those Velcro swaddles.

7. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@MrsKRB: we keep our temp around 72 degrees, and baby sleeps in onesie with Velcro swaddleme (arms in - with my first I didn't think it was effective without arms in to help w/sleep), and muslin swaddle blanket draped over lower half. (He's still in arm room in RnP)

8. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@MrsKRB: I've wondered the same thing!! Thanks for asking it to the group!

The twins sleep in a onesie & summer infant swaddlemepod. I think you want arms in first the first 2 or 3 months bc of the moro reflex.

@Alba4: are you using footie sleepers?

9. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

Random question - I can't remember when I started with my first - do you do tummy time from day one? Have you started? L is 12 days old and I haven't yet. My first hated it so I'm dreading!

10. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@runnerd: At 6 weeks she gets most of it laying on my chest. I have put her on the floor a handful of times when I remember. She has excellent head control though so it was never a concern. i did the same with my first.

11. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

Thanks for the sleep-wear advice! I had her all bundled up last night, and she slept awful - so I guess that just comes with the territory haha. She slept so well the first week home, I guess I shouldn't have gotten used to that!

@runnerd: We did tummy time on our chests until her umbilical cord fell off, and now I put her down on her playmate until she gets cranky.

12. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

Everyone told me what a great time it is to have a baby (in June) - I would totally prefer a winter/early spring baby! Being stuck inside isn't fun! Do you all plan to wait until vaccines to take your baby anywhere? We took a quick trip to Target and to the grocery store, but she stayed in the K'tan the whole time.

13. MMcAlli

cherry / 154 posts

@MrsKRB: I agree. These beautiful days make it hard to stay inside. I've been out with my little guy, but I keep him in the stroller with the shade pulled or wrap & don't let anyone touch him.

14. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@MrsKRB: I've been out in the backyard with my son when dd is sleeping. And we've been to the store a couple times. I agree it's hard missing the nice weather!

How's everyone's recovery going? I am 12 days post c section and feeling good. My bleeding was tapering off but today and yesterday I had some red bleeding. I think I've been doing too much. Blah.

Hope everyone and their babes are doing well! H was born at 6 lbs 12 ounces and was back to that when she was 5 days old. Today she was 7lbs 9 ounces!! She is gaining like a champ. But she eats non stop so I guess it makes sense.

15. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: I've been out a fair amount (grocery store, church, play grounds... ). We just keep him in the stroller or carrier and don't let most people hold or touch him. In my circles people are kind of afraid of newborns and don't ask to touch, just to see.

16. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@MrsKRB: we've been out to grocery stores/Target a few times after dr appts but we are trying not to go out too much for now.

@Mrs. Champagne: recovery is going pretty well overall but I still have a bit of lingering pelvic pain from pregnancy, especially after sitting for long periods of time (like when I'm feeding the baby). Still having a bit of bleeding but it's tapered off quite a bit at almost 4 weeks postpartum.

At the dr today for circumcision and he's up to 9 lbs 7 oz (from 7 lbs 13 oz at birth)! He still fits into some of his newborn clothes but we moved him up to size 1 diapers this week after running out of newborn.

17. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@Mrs. Champagne: I'm feeling a lot better now, for awhile I was in a lot of pain when standing/walking for any longer than 20 min at a time. Bleeding has increased though which is strange, but maybe that just means it'll end soon.

R has been sleeping a ton the past few days, and screams when she's not being held (except at night thankfully). Her wonder week is coming up, so I wonder if it has to do with that.

18. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@MrsKRB: we've been everywhere lol. I hate telling people how old he is because I feel judged but got to go places with my 2 yr old, and now it's so easy to go places solo with baby! I'm not worried about germs - no one touches him in public.

@Mrs. Champagne: I've had such an easy recovery this time! Seems like I read that a lot about second deliveries. I am still lightly bleeding though bc I have definitely been doing too much!!

Moms of 2+ = I'm struggling with feeling guilty because I can't give undivided attention to anyone!! I feel so guilty that I look over and baby has just been lying awake in swing and I can't make "meaningful eye contact" and let him study my face blah blah blah like when I just had one kid to attend to!

19. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@Mrs. Champagne: I'm almost 4 weeks out and feeling almost normal. Still bleeding enough to be annoying but major. It does increase if I'm on my feet a lot.

Lo has problems with gas and is often awake for hours at night trying to get it all out.

20. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@MrsKRB: did you download the wonder weeks app and would you recommend it? Been thinking about getting it but haven't yet...

21. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@starlitsky: I did, I'm not surround it's helpful yet because she hasn't technically hit a week yet but she acts like they say will she will act I think it will come in handy! It's good to be prepared!

22. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@runnerd: I am trying to take it easy but it's hard with 2! I do feel guilty that I don't get to give all my attention to either kid. My older son has started to act out this week. He transitioned to a new room at school this week (crazy timing). I'm hoping after this week we'll feel like we are more in a routine!

I've gone out a few times, but I'm trying not to expose baby to so many germs Until his shots.

I'm hoping to take a postnatal yoga class once I'm cleared at 6 weeks. Do. You ladies have fitness plans?

23. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@MrsKRB: I've been everywhere I normally would. We went out to lunch before we even got home from the hospital. I have a toddler so staying in isn't really an option. If it's super hot we stay inside obviously, but otherwise we are out and about. She stays in a carrier or stroller , so I'm not concerned she's going to catch anything.

24. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@Alba4: I'm going to do Kayla Itsines BBG, I really want to start now because this belly is driving me nuts but I'm going to be good and wait until my postnatal appt.

25. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@Alba4: I've been trying to walk 20-30min most days this week, and I'm hoping to start doing some very light weights at home and yoga next week. I'm running a half in Oct, so as soon as I feel capable, I'll start running. Last pregnancy I started running 1-2mi (very slowly) at a time from 4 weeks until my 6 week check-up

26. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@runnerd: good for you! I was thinking of signing up for a 5k , but we'll see. I'm still sore from tearing, so running doesn't seem fun right now. Funny, I think I'm more sore this time from a minimal tear than the episiotomy with ds1. Oh wait, maybe it's because I birthed a freakin 9lb 11oz child!😳

27. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@Alba4: yeah... i'm crazy sore, too. stitches still not dissolved, but i used to be a runner...
    @runnerd: which half? i'm thinking about the cincinnati queen bee in october if i can do one
    @catomd00: yup, baby is a month old today and i realized with my son we had only been to the grocery with him by this point, but with baby girl we have been everywhere
    @MrsKRB: really? I love this belly, this belly is freedom from pregnancy and i still have the excuse of a newborn

28. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@runnerd: i feel you on the two kids and focus on zero kids guilt!

29. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

I asked my doctor about activity before I left the hospital and he pretty much told me to do whatever I want but to take it easy. DH and I are going to try a 21 day fix sort of thing but at waiting till after my 6 week appointment to start.

30. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@pastemoo: that's a good way to look at it! I guess I'm just too hard on myself, I'm a little bored too so it's something to focus on.

31. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@MrsKRB: there is that. i do get fleeting moments. but look at your old bump pics. i think i'm down to 20 weeks or so belly now.

32. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@MrsKRB: I'm definitely being hard on myself! I have had an easy recovery so I feel like I should be hitting the gym then I'm like "OH YEA, I'm only 2 weeks postpartum" lol feels like it's been longer.

33. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@runnerd: Aww, be kind to yourself. (I say, not taking my own advice.)

@Mrs. Champagne: I'm still feeling slow, and my stitches are seriously still bothering me. I know I have been doing too much and I'm sure that is a part of it. 1 month out--thought I would be at 100% by now. There is a reason for the 6 weeks! I haven't lost any weight since 2 weeks ago and I'm letting that get to me, but I shouldn't. I'm only a month out. I'm ok.
    I hope I can fit at least 2 pairs of regular pants when I go back in 2 weeks.
    There was a great 4th of July sale at milk nursing wear and I got some cute stuff--hope it looks professional enough!

How long does everyone have for leave?

34. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@runnerd: I hear ya, I feel really guilty when 3/4 of my day is spent on the couch!

@pastemoo: I have 16 weeks, I go back Sept 28

35. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@pastemoo: I'm supposed to start again at the beginning of September. There's a little bit of work I'm trying to do before then but it isn't urgent.

36. Ree723

grapefruit / 4819 posts

Hi ladies, I'm sorry for going MIA since DS was born! I've been reading along but every time I start a response, something comes up and I never get a chance to finish it!

Quick update here: DS is 17 days old now and a dream baby. Having some issues feeding (shallow latch, not gaining weight yet) but we're working through them and will hopefully be discharged from postpartum midwife care tomorrow. He's a chilled out baby and tolerates his sisters' craziness fairly well. Sleeping is going well although he will not sleep on his back in the cot. We have him in bed with us for now and he gives us a good 5-6 hr stretch overnight, so we're feeling decently well rested.

Life with three has been mainly good but also very hectic. DH went back to work on Wednesday so I am now in the throes of solo parenting a newborn, a 2 yr old, and a just turned 4 yr old. My first day alone with them was great - I took all three on an outing to a national trust property (historic Manor House and gardens) and stopped at a coffee shop for a treat afterwards, I had the house clean, dinner made, two loads of laundry done, and the girls in the bath by the time DH got home. I felt like supermum! Then we had yesterday where it was the complete opposite - ten minutes late getting DD1 to preschool, then dragging a tantruming toddler through town to run errands, house a disaster by evening, three loads of unfolded laundry strewn about the living room, dinner not made, kids running riot, baby fussing, and mummy in tears by the time DH got home. Sigh....hoping Thursday was the fluke and not Wednesday!

Anyway, I hope everyone else is doing well! I'll go back up the page and respond to things more specifically in a second post.

37. Ree723

grapefruit / 4819 posts

@MrsKRB: Well done on getting R up over her birthweight so quickly! Great job mama! It's so nice when they gain weight well and you don't have to worry about whether orbit they're getting enough!

@runnerd: We don't do tummy time yet but DS spends so much time sleeping on our chests that he's getting plenty of it that way! I think he'll love tummy time though as he hates being on his back, we just haven't gotten around to starting it yet. He can hold his head up fairly well already so I think he's definitely ready...

@MrsKRB: We've been going everywhere with DS. I just pop him in a wrap most of the time and it's fine. With two older kids, we are out and about pretty much every day between school runs, playgroups, outings, errands etc... We also spend a lot of time outdoors - I just pop his bouncer seat on the grass under the oak tree in our garden and let the girls play whilst I crack on with the gardening or sit on the grass next to him reading a book. We are in England though, where summer temperatures are in the low 70s Fahrenheit if we're lucky - might be a different story if we actually had hot summers!

@Mrs. Champagne: Recovery is going ok for the most part... Everything they say about third babies being a bit trickier across the board has been so true for me, even when it comes to recovery! It's been harder than my second recovery but not bad overall. I still don't feel quite normal, and notice it most frequently when I'm out for a walk, but there's nothing specific I can pinpoint as being not quite healed yet. I do have to keep reminding myself jam just over two weeks postpartum and I need to cut myself some slack.

@runnerd: Yes on the guilt front! Except now with two older ones, they tend to drive me crazy and I find myself getting so irritable because all I want to do is snuggle my newborn, not corral crazy/screaming/whining toddlers/preschoolers! Then I feel guilty for yelling at them when I know all they want is my attention, sigh... It's so hard balancing it all!

@Alba4: I don't have a specific fitness plan yet - hoping to join the gym soon but need to figure out if I'll be able to use it enough to get my money's worth. It's crazy expensive but super nice and only two minutes from our house, whereas every other gym in town is at least a 15 minute drive. I love lifting weights and doing classes, so I really do need a gym membership, but we'll have to see... I am back to just looking like I ate a few too many chips at the moment, not pregnant/just given birth, but I hate having a flabby tummy and hate my thighs rubbing together when I walk, not to mention that nothing pre-pregnancy fits me at the moment, so I am itching to ditch this excess weight and get back in shape! Again, have to keep reminding myself it hasn't even been 2.5 weeks yet so I need to chill....

Anyway, I hear my toddler calling for me, and it is 8:30 am so time to start another day! Happy Friday all!

38. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@Ree723: I can't imagine having 3!! Sounds like you're doing a great job though

39. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@Ree723: impressive!!! I had trouble with lo1 re: latching and weight gain. Have you had your DS checked for a tight frenulum? My DS2 also had a frenulectomy, although his latch hasn't improved much post the procedure. No weight gain issues this time around.

40. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

My twins are loosing their hair like whoa the past couple days. It's funny how it's all of a sudden happening. I'm also noticing my hair starting to shed too after 7 months of no shedding!!

How are your babies doing with fingers nails? I can't keep up!! Little girl scratches the heck out of me when she is crying!

Baby boy is a bit more tricky to BF .... bats his head side to side & pushes me away.......last night he started grabbing my boob with both hands and trying to latch by himself....it blew my mind. Unfortunately, his concept of latch is super shallow.....so now it's a fight of "mommy will do it" vs. "I'll do it myself"....haha....thought we had until toddler days for this!! Hehe

Hope you guys are doing well....I keep up reading......but am finding it harder to keep up with replies

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee