Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2020 Mamas

1. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

@skiierchck99: how did everything go yesterday??? We are all thinking of you.

@MountainBaby: I love the two toned alphabet. What a simple idea but with big impact. It really all came together nicely.

@Bunbun: will baby get a renal ultrasound pretty quickly after birth? That’s what they did for us. And checked a urine maybe?

@LazB: definitely hoping she flips for you. I never realized how much they move around in there but now that I have my own ultrasound and can look, I think it’s a lot more than we tend to think. It’s just we are only usually checking in on them to look and see every few weeks, not daily. But this guy has done a few summersaults.

2. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

☀🌊 June/July/Aug AKA Summer 2020 Mamas 🌊☀

Estimated Due Date:
    May 18: SkiierChck99 #2

June 1: BunBun #2 , MissLace #3
    June 18: YellowBeach #2
    June 21: LazB #4
    June 23: MrsJBeeG #1
    June 24: MsMilkshake #2 , Becky #3
    June 29: JCCOVI #3

July 7: CodeitAll #3
    July 18: Mrs Chocolate #4
    July 21: Cram88 #4

Aug 6: MountainBaby #2

Marfi, BreakouttheIceCream

3. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@Becky: I can’t do an ECV because I had a placental abruption with my third baby, but she’s already moved a little I think, so I’m more hopeful today about her going back head down!

4. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@yellowbeach: I’m still so jealous of your at home ultrasound!

5. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

Benjamin David was born yesterday morning at 10:27 am! He was 7 pounds 11 ounces and measured at 20 inches long. We are both doing well though I will say having to stay in this tiny room is making both me and dh a little crazy. I think we will head home Thursday but honestly I half wish we could leave tomorrow (probably could have if I’d pushed for it today). We could stay as long as Friday but I think I might lose my mind by then. It’s so hard to actually get any sleep here with all the coming and going...

Thanks for asking about me all! Happy to answer any covid questions people might have.

6. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

@LAZB: Fingers crossed!

7. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

@skiierchck99: how sweet! I’m glad everything went well and congrats!

8. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

@skiierchck99: Such a handsome little guy! I love the name ❤

9. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

@yellowbeach: Yes, the plan is for her to get an ultrasound either in the hospital or a day or two later at the Texas Children's hospital across the street. Depending on those results, they might want to do a dye contrast, etc. We already spoke with the pediatric urologist a few weeks ago, so I feel like we kind of have a plan...

10. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

@skiierchck99: Aww, what a cutie! Congrats!

What were the Covid restrictions/procedures like? I never left my room when I gave birth to DS, but I got out of there as soon as I could (less than 48 hours). This time I might stay longer just to get some extra time to sleep and also consult with a lactation consultant on how to maximize my pumping output this time around. DH might go home though, which means that he couldn't come back. I would just stay by myself for a little while. All tbd.

11. MrsJBeeG

clementine / 787 posts

@skiierchck99: he’s gorgeous!!!! Congratulations.

@BUNBUN: I think if the hospital restrictions are the same as current (DH can be present but it leaves can’t come back) when I give birth - that DH will stay for the birth but leave sometime afterwards. He will definitely go stir crazy in a hospital room and drive me up the wall. I’d rather just get some rest and learn what I need from a lactation consultant and the nurses and he can get to know his daughter when we head home.

12. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

☀🌊 June/July/Aug AKA Summer 2020 Mamas 🌊☀

Birthdays:
    💙👶 May 18: SkiierChck99 #2 7lbs 11oz

Estimated Due Date:
    June 1: BunBun #2 , MissLace #3
    June 18: YellowBeach #2
    June 21: LazB #4
    June 23: MrsJBeeG #1
    June 24: MsMilkshake #2 , Becky #3
    June 29: JCCOVI #3

July 7: CodeitAll #3
    July 18: Mrs Chocolate #4
    July 21: Cram88 #4

Aug 6: MountainBaby #2

Marfi, BreakouttheIceCream

13. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@skiierchck99: congratulations! What a beautiful baby!

14. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

@BUNBUN: The COVID protocol here is still the same: out within 24 hours for vaginal and 48 (or 2 nights) for caesarean. I let my midwife know I really want to see the lactation consultant prior to leaving but do want to leave in that time frame, so she put a note in my chart to make sure it happens.

I hope the 24 hour protocol for vaginal sticks around after all of this (not that I plan on having more kids). We got a lot of pushback for requesting to leave in that time frame with my second, and it ended up more like 30 hours. We were so bored the entire second day, and all procedures had been finished long before.

15. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

@Becky: that's interesting! DS (3.5 years ago) was born at 2am and there were checks they did at 24 hours (so, yeah, they woke me at 2 am). We were able to leave the next day with no problem (around 36 hours) but I can't imagine having everything taken care of by the time end of shift at 7pm came around (5 hrs after birth), I was still pretty groggy.
    Apparently, as Texas opens up the hospital policy changes day by day. My OB recommended I call the hospital for their policy the day before (if I'm scheduled for induction) or before we drive over.
    I too want to see the lactation consultant before I leave. I was able to do so on day 1 last time, but I remember that we almost left without registering DS with social security - ha! I'd imagine that hospitals have all of that pretty streamlined by now to make sure everything is checked and done within whatever their timeframe is.

16. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@BUNBUN: I’m curious about it here too. I can’t remember where you are, but I am in Houston. Apparently the policy at the hospital I’m delivering at was to preferably leave in 24 hours, but it’s not required. I think we are going to just decide depending on what time the baby actually comes, but I would prefer to leave sooner rather than later. I find that staying longer is just asking for more checks and it gets exhausting being there.

17. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

Hi all - finally have a free hand/minute to post!

So I had a scheduled cesarian and can’t speak to what the protocol is with a vaginal, but I know my hospital (Brigham and Women’s in Boston) is requiring in-house pediatricians (rather than outside ones with privileges) and they will not do certain tests prior to 24 hours, so my guess is you’re here at least 36 hours, depending on the time of delivery. I also think they don’t discharge people overnight so I’m sure that impacts it. My timeline was 48-96 hours, so 2-4 nights. My cesarian was Monday am so I could have stayed till Friday but am planning to leave tomorrow, which is the same timeline as my first. I have not seen anyone without a mask while here, they have changed a lot of protocol on who can enter the rooms, and it overall does feel very safe.

They screened us when we entered (I had been tested about 36 hours prior) and have rescreened with questions throughout. I was surprised they didn’t take temperatures but maybe that has been proven ineffective. We have been stuck in our room (no walking the floors) which has made dh a little claustrophobic - he has done an in-room workout each day (jumping jacks, burpees, etc) which has helped. We discussed him going home but it has frankly been nice/helpful to have him here and I think he would have been sad to miss these early hours. He has been able to order room service too and the food has been pretty good!

Otherwise, many things have been similar. No in-room photos but those weren’t very good anyway frankly, and birth certificate people called rather than coming in or collecting a form. They did suggest bringing in your car seat and everything you need when you first get admitted - we forgot the car seat but he was allowed to get it.

The only other change is being asked to wear masks whenever anyone is in the rooms with us. You can have it off when alone. We haven’t been perfect (I keep forgetting overnight) but are trying to observe it for our sakes and theirs. It was really hard for me on surgery day but not to annoying otherwise.

What a monologue! Did I miss anything?

18. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

@skiierchck99: Thanks for sharing! Sounds like it wasn't too much craziness! Were you allowed to take off your mask when they gave you the baby? We are planning for vaginal and it's unclear to me if I need to be wearing a mask while I push or when doing skin to skin for the first time. I need to remember to ask at my next appointment.

19. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@JCCovi: so I had a panic attack/vasovagal attack while prepping or the surgery and had ripped my mask off...I don’t think I got a new one until I was ready to transfer from l&d to the recovery floor 2 hours later. Pretty sure I was mask-free for the whole skin to skin after delivery. They’re not being militant about it; I haven’t had anyone ask me to put one on, but there are signs around reminding you.

20. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

@skiierchck99: Thank you for sharing!
    @LAZB: I'm in Montgomery County. I called Methodist yesterday, and I can have 1 support person, who cannot switch out. DH can leave and return to the hospital, but only return during "open" hours (5:30am - 8pm).
    The L&D nurse "couldn't tell me" if there was an optimal window for discharge (within 24 hours for uncomplicated vaginal birth, etc), which makes it sound like there is no push to get moms out within 24 hours.
    The cafeteria and cafe are open and I believe he can leave the room (since he can leave the hospital and return).
    I forgot to ask if I have to wear a mask while I'm pushing, but I'm assuming masks will be required unless we are alone.

Looks like baby isn't as ready as I am! She's higher than she feels, with her bum up under my sternum. My OB wasn't able to feel her head yesterday, so she "couldn't induce even if we wanted to." That surprised me because the pelvic pressure is intense!
    I also saw the MFM today. Her dilated renal pelvis is measuring at 2.9 cm. The pediatric urologist didn't want to predict whether she would need surgery, but the MFM and I are betting that she will at some point. Fortunately, she has plenty of amniotic fluid, which indicates to my MFM that her other kidney is functioning properly.
    She's estimated at 7lb 2oz right now.

I've got some grants to submit for work this week and next, but I don't want to go until June. Fingers crossed she's ready next week!

21. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

22. MrsJBeeG

clementine / 787 posts

Question ladies - since all of you have given birth before and I think I’m the only FTM - did any of you lose your mucus plug earlier and was it a sign of labor?

I am definitely losing mine today. I’m 35w3days. I’ve look online and talked to my MFM and realize this can mean nothing or something. Having some mild cramps Now (just started) but not anything painful - it’s really low level irritating that I’ve had a few times in the third trimester.

I know really only time will tell but of course mentally I’m wondering if this means anything.

23. MountainBaby

cherry / 160 posts

@MrsJBeeG: Last time I lost mine around 38 weeks, and didn't go into labor until 40 weeks, so it doesn't have to mean anything is imminent!

24. MrsJBeeG

clementine / 787 posts

@MountainBaby: I’ve read where it can indicate labor coming in 2-3 weeks which your previous timeline kind of matches. But even that isn’t a given.

My MFM told me it’s not a good predictor of labor so I should probably just get back to my day.

25. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

@MrsJBeeG: same as @MountainBaby: Last time I lost mine about 2 weeks before I gave birth (at 39w4d).
    Today I'm 38w 1d and haven't seen anything that could be my plug.

I'm sorry for the annoying cramping. I'm having that too, and it hasn't been a sign of anything progressing. So frustrating...

26. MrsJBeeG

clementine / 787 posts

@BUNBUN: annoying is such a good word for it. It’s like the cramping I get when my period starts - not even strong enough to take anything for it - just kind of there in the background. Little girl is moving tons so I’m not worried about anything. It’s just a waiting game. I am envious that you’re at 38 weeks now! I’m getting to the point where it’s just uncomfortable to do much but I’m not the type to just sit or lay so I’m feeling so off my game.

27. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

Sooo, somehow, without leaving my house, and as the only one who does the laundry, I have managed to misplace one of my only 4 pairs of maternity leggings ie: the only "pants" I wear. And the lighter of 2 capri-length pair.
    It's in the 90s today, and I'm wearing a terribly uncomfortable pair of old maternity shorts.

Babygirl, this is your sign to get a move on! Mama's running out of clothes!

28. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

@MrsJBeeG: Yes! Off my game is exactly how I've been feeling for the last few weeks. I always prefer to be "up and doing", but it's killing my back and feet to stand for any length of time.

29. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

@MrsJBeeG: I didn’t lose mine with my first (I was induced) and with my second my water broke, I had my bloody show, and lost my mucus plug all at the same time and went into active labor 15 minutes later. I would be going crazy if I lost mine right now—it’s like the two week wait!

I’m 35+2 and I feel like this baby is right around the corner, but 5 weeks is really SO. LONG. We officially start our master bathroom reno on 6/4 so at least that will keep me distracted even if in a really loud and messy way, and school ends 6/12 so that will be a relief to no longer juggle that. I’ll also be staying at my parents for a few days during the bathroom demo so that will be really helpful with the kids and just a change of pace. I felt horrendous the past 2 days, like my pubic bones were shattered, and woke up feeling awesome today—as long as I have days like this in here I feel like I can stay sane!

30. LAZB

pomegranate / 3904 posts

@MrsJBeeG: With my first thread babies I lost it 3-7 days before. I haven't lost it yet this time (35+6).

31. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

@MrsJBeeG: I never noticed when I lost my plug with either of my first 2. Something to watch out for I guess!

Right now I'm 34 + 6 and starting to really pay attention to my body! Seems very unlikely that anything happens in the next 3 weeks but I've definitely shifted into that super alert zone.

Last weekend I went into town several days in a row for various reasons and ate fast food at least once a day for 3 days. All that sodium made me swell up like a balloon and I ended up getting my rings cut off. 😢 I'm so bummed about it, especially since my swelling went down after a couple of days of eating more healthy. So my poor rings are sitting broken until after the baby comes and then I'll get them repaired and resized. They haven't been able to remove them easily in about 7 years (since I had my first) so at least now they'll fit properly.

I'm trying to push myself to really up my physical activity. Mostly just walking but I'm also making a point to carry a trash bag with me while I walk so I can occasionally get a squat in while picking up litter. Anyone else starting to get nervous about actual labor? I've obviously done it before but it wasn't fun and I'm not looking forward to that aspect at all!

32. MrsJBeeG

clementine / 787 posts

@JCCovi: That’s a bummer about your rings. I made the switch to a simple (cheap) wedding band to save my wedding set - but I admit I really miss wearing the wedding set. My swelling hasn’t been to bad - I do drink a lot of water (seems to help me with managing the low level
    cramping) and I read that helps minimize swelling.

Still losing some of my mucus plug but I’m going with everyone’s experience and interpreting it as nothing major.

Have a doctors appointment Tuesday (36w) and we should set an induction date sometime in the 39th week. Seems so close and exciting. I guess I need to start watching some labor and breastfeeding videos - my hospital cancelled all those classes that were offered in person which is really disappointing as I wanted to do that rather than watch videos. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don’t want to get scared but do want to be somewhat better informed. Particularly about breastfeeding - I want to give it an honest effort as I’d like to do it for a year if possible. I need to ask if the lactation consultant will still come by after birth at the hospital.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend - no matter what everyone is doing.

33. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

@JCCovi: What a bummer about your rings! But yes at least they will for now. Today I actually decided to take a step back from some activities. I follow kimperryco on Instagram and have a lot
    of her workouts—which I love— saved and try to do a few a week, just for 10-15 minutes. The last few times my pelvic area has been completely wrecked and I’ve barely been able to move the next day. I think it’s from the wide squats. So I’ll just be walking now and maybe doing some lunges. I try to walk at least 3 miles/day. Squats are great labor prep—I just can’t do them this time. I’m focusing more on other ways to prep: eating dates, drinking raspberry leaf tea, and doing perineal stretching (TMI? My biggest labor fear is tearing again.). Just remembered I have a birth class this week about active labor options at my hospital (as in keeping active—birth ball, tub, etc) and haven’t gotten any info about it being available online...

I’m going to clean out my car this week and toss the baby car seat and base in the trunk. Just (mostly) packed the hospital bag and my pump parts are in the dishwasher (I’m definitely going to try pumping to stimulate labor starting at 38 weeks—Evidence Based Birth is doing a labor induction methods podcast series right now and the one covering nipple stim showed it was really effective).

34. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

@MrsJBeeG: Can you set up a call/consult ahead of time with a lactation consultant? I’d consider that. And also just knowing who in your area can do it after. My SIL got mastitis 4 days in and was able to do a virtual consult which was awesome. This sounds silly but the best tip I left the breastfeeding class I took with my first was that you should hold your boob in your hand like a hamburger and the baby should latch on like they’re chomping down on said hamburger!

Do you know what kind of birth you want to prepare for? I think that makes a big difference in hunting down some videos/resources. I LOVE The Birth Hour podcast (it’s just women telling their birth stories but the host is really sweet too).. Knowing ahead of time that you are getting induced you could listen to the induction birth stories on there. There are a bunch of them with a nice representation of the spectrum of what you might experience. I’ve gone back and listened to these so if I do get induced I can be better informed and voice my preferences (options for starting with a foley bulb, keeping the rate as low as possible, having a much less strong epidural than with my first if I want one, etc).

35. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

38w 5d. I really thought Saturday was the day, but I just felt awful all day and then felt better Sunday and yesterday.

OB today: 7lb 14oz, 1cm dilated, cervix still super long. Doc is trying to get me on the calendar for induction Monday to give me more time for my cervix to shorten.

36. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

@Becky: Thanks for recommending the Podcast. I've already listened to a few episodes and have enjoyed them.

@BunBun: Not long now!

37. MrsJBeeG

clementine / 787 posts

So much for listening to the podcasts this week - just got done with my 36 week check up - all is great. I literally got home and my water broke and having some low level cramps. So I’m charging my phone and then heading into L&D to be checked and see if they want to admit me.

I’m thinking I’m psychic since I dreamed several dreams this little girl was coming a month early and it’s exactly one month from my due date.

Hope everyone is well and I’ll keep you posted as time permits!

38. BUNBUN

apricot / 430 posts

@MrsJBeeG: omg! Good luck, mama!

39. MrsJBeeG

clementine / 787 posts

@BUNBUN: thanks! It’s cute. My DH freaked out a bit about getting to L&D and I was totally calm. I’m waiting to be seen as we speak.
    I do not feel prepared for labor but I’ll wing it. The good news is my hospital has relaxed the visitor policy and he is allowed to come and go (they just ask to minimize it to a certain extent) so I’m thankful he’s not stuck in the room the whole time I’m at the hospital.

40. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

@MrsJBeeG: Wow congrats!!! Can’t wait to hear about your new babe!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee