Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2013: Mamas & Babies!

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

OMG, that was so nasty!!! R didn't poop all day, which is super rare for her. I heard her at 345, and walked in her room and I could see the brown all over the crib sheet. I picked her up and walked back to get DH. I changed her diaper (completely soaked through), pjs and swaddle. He said the mattress liner was even wet. So he put a towel on top of the mattress and under the shirt for extra production. I feel bad and hope she wasn't sitting in it in a while. It never seemed to both her. She was just crying cause she was hungry and we normally don't change her overnight and she never leaks. Nor poops overnight.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@silver1: Sorry to hear you are going back to work! The first.few days are rough! Will your LO be in daycare?

@Smurfette: OMG, gross!! Bummer she did.that at night and made such a mess! Was it all still fairly wet when you changed her? If so, she probably had done it recently and wasn't sitting in it for very long. I bet she woke up to eat and the first thing she did was poo and then start complaining about being hungry.

3. Smurfette

@silver1: Good luck on your first day back!! It's hard but it gets easier.

@Adira: I didn't look at it that closely cause we just turned the light on it the hall so the brightest wouldn't bother her. When I picked her up it felt wet but the room had an odor like it had been there a while. I threw them in the wash just now and it was still a little wet.

You know what sucks, waking up your baby to take her to day care. She was so sound asleep and now is falling asleep nursing.

4. Adira

@Smurfette: I don't know for sure, but I suspect she probably woke up and went to the bathroom, so she probably wasn't sitting in it for very long.

And yes! Waking your baby up in the morning DOES suck! I always feel so bad when Xander's deep asleep and I have to wake him up. Though this morning he decided to wake ME up 30 minutes early, so maybe we're even?

Xander falls asleep nursing too. I usually have to change his diaper first to wake him up enough to start going, and then he kind of sleep-eats, and when I think he's done, I'll pop him up, prop him up to burp him, which wakes him up a bit, and then plop him back down on the other side.

5. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Hi Ladies!

I posted a few pics on IG, but in case you guys were curious... K had her first Rotavirus vaccine on Wednesday and seemed fine, just more sleepy on Wed. and Thurs. than normal. I was SO thankful she had real naps at home on those days! On Friday she started having some NASTY diarrhea. I kept thinking before, how can you tell diarrhea apart from normal EBF poop? Oh well - man the SMELL for one! The volume for another! Ugh! She was literally "going" as I was changing her existing poopsplosion! I figured it was just the vaccine side effects. And she didn't seem in pain.
    Well, Friday night was the FIRST night I decided to go out and meet up with friends for a drink and catch up, after I had put K down to sleep. I had been getting gassy and stomach aches but figured it must have been the onions in my dinner. Well... get to the restaurant and I'm having terrible stomach cramps and I had to GO at the restaurant! I can't even tell you the last time that's happened! It's very rare for me as I'm usually constipated! (tmi?)
    Anyhow. Come home after 1 drink and tired and K is SUPER fussy in the early morning. Won't stay latched to feed - she kept popping off to cry and squirmy her whole body around. She would let out loud screams and crying for a minute or so. It was the first time since we'd been in the hospital for her birth, that I'd woken up DH to help me. We'd do everything we could to get her calm down. Checked her temp a million times. She'd fall asleep for ~ 1/2 hr increments until 7 am (when she usually sleeps till ~11!) The whole day she just seemed lethargic and so tired and sad. Even looking like that, she'd try to give us smiles. But it was so hard on me. She napped less than a total of 1 1/2 hrs the whole day! But less scream crying so I thought the worst was over. She went down like a champ, not surprisingly, on Sat. night. But again, in the MOTN and early morning, the scream crying, not feeding well, continued. She always seemed to have to pass some major gas and then would stop and get some relief. She kept spitting out the Gripe Water and burping didn't seem to help get out farts. Bicycles made her scream. In the morning I called the ped to ask what I could do to help her tummy and help her fart more. He didn't like the sounds of it all and told me to take her to our Children's Hospital ER to get an ultrasound. Basically to rule out a worst-case-scenario of intussusception (which is when the intestine telescopes into itself). So we spent a few hours of Father's Day in the Children's ER, where everyone was so nice and loved K! She was her normal, super smiley and chatty self for the whole time! All her vitals were good and her ultrasound was perfect they said (but did show a lot of air). The doc said it was probably pain from the diarrhea cramping OR an intestinal virus - both of which we just wait it out and can't give her anything for. She did have another couple of massive poopsplosions last night, but slept a lot better. Hopefully she'll be back to normal today or tomorrow. They did have us put her in the most adorable baby hospital gown (and told us we could take pics!)

6. Adira

@shopaholic: Awww, poor K!!!! Glad to hear her issues didn't end up being intussusception, but it sounds like she's been in pain with all the gas, and stuff. So sad! Sometimes when Xander wakes up, he's extra fussy, and then I pick him up and he just farts and farts and seems so much happier. It's crazy how uncomfortable gas is for babies! If it is a virus, I hope she gets over it soon! Do you know if you've eaten anything recently that may have attributed to her being extra gassy? I know there are certain foods I have to avoid or else I upset Xander (anything spicy drives him nuts).

7. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Adira: Thanks. No. We are all pretty sure it was the Rotavirus vaccine. Probably just really tough on her tummy. You can hear it gurgling and bubbling all day!

8. Smurfette

@Adira: She was so cute just laying there all swaddled up and snoring. It broke my heart waking her up. She just kept trying to close her eyes. After she nursed and spit up, she seemed to wake up, and talked the whole way to school. I cried a little when I left her this morning. It just sucks leaving her with someone else.

I was putting her bibs away this morning, and the one teacher went over to say hi to Reagan in the swing. She said, Reagan, you always look so pretty. Your Mommy sure does put you in some cute outfits. It made me smile. Glad everyone else thinks she is as cute as I do.

I don't change R diaper over night anymore. It is pretty full in the morning but she does better with eating and going back to sleep without it.

@shopaholic: Oh my gosh, you have had some eventful days as well. I am glad that K seems to be on the mend. Scary stuff, but glad that it wasn't anything serious. And I am glad it happened before your trip. ER over seas would be a nightmare. Such a bummer you didn't get to enjoy your time out more.

9. Adira

@shopaholic: Awww, poor girl. Hopefully she recovers quickly!

@Smurfette: Oh my gosh, I know! I HATE waking up Xander! But I have to feed him, so... luckily he's only mad at me while I'm changing his diaper, and once he's got the boob in his mouth, he's happy again.

I feel soooooo thankful that my husband handles daycare drop-offs. I don't think I could deal with having to leave Xander every morning! As it is now, he's still sleeping soundly when I leave for work, which is MUCH easier!

That's awesome people comment on the cute outfits you put R in!! We're lazy, so Xander just wears sleepers to daycare.

10. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@shopaholic: what a rough weekend for you all! Hope she is feeling better today!

11. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@shopaholic: Oh poor baby! Glad to hear that everything is ok -She does look cute in the little hospital gown - we had to take Liam into the ER when he was three weeks old for an abcess and they gave him one of those little tiny gowns but he was totally swimming in it. You will have to do a re-do on the night out so that you can enjoy it!

@Smurfette: That is crazy about the tree - I would have freaked out! Glad you are safe! Sounds like you have had some eventful days!

@silver1: Good luck on your return to work!

Oh my gosh... I am so dumb... I forgot my pump this morning at home - I had it all packed up and ready to go and was rushing around to get out the door and totally left it behind. Luckily I stashed a manual pump in my desk drawer - but still SO ANNOYING!

12. Adira

@dojo: Yikes!!! Forgetting my pump is my biggest fear!!! That must be such a pain to do it manually! I had to manually pump at the bridal shower I went to yesterday - I wasn't able to do it for very long, so really just got out a few ounces to ease the engorgement. Good luck using the manual - my arms are like jellly after a few minutes when I use mine!

13. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@Adira: So it went ok with the manual pump so far this morning but it is just annoying to use in comparrison. My biggest compaint is actually that I can't really eat my lunch or play games on my phone while I'm pumping hahaha

14. Adira

@dojo: Oh my gosh, yes! That would be my complaint too! I usually relax in the Mother's Room with the pump going and read a book! It'd be a LOT harder to do that if I had to manually pump!

15. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@silver1: How is your first day back at work? Thinking of you today! Who is watching LO while you are working?

@shopaholic: Phew, so relieved to hear that there is nothing wrong with K! That must have been an exhausting day. She sure does look adorable in that gown! The nurses must have gotten a kick out of her big smiles!

@dojo: You are smart to keep a manual pump in your desk. Does it take a lot of time/energy to pump manually? I imagine it must be exhausting on your hands. I actually ordered a manual pump but then I lost the directions when I opened package. Now, I can’t figure out how to put the parts together. You are reminding me that I have to dig up those directions!

@smurfette: Oh dear, that was one explosive poop! We’ve only had one like that and it didn’t come close to soaking through the mattress pad. Way to go, R! Is the tree removal taken care of yet or is that still an ongoing thing?

@alv91711: That picture frame gift sounds really sweet. Where did you order it from? Sorry you weren’t able to see DH on Father’s Day. Were you two able to skype or chat on the phone at all?

After a week of rough sleep, I bought the “No Cry Sleep Solution Book” and have begun to journal Pete’s sleep habits this week, as per step one in the book. I’m not anti-CIO, but since I have some time before I go back to work, I decided to begin with the strategies in this book first. I have to say, it’s only been two days but it’s been quite helpful so far! I’ve been popping the pacifier in during his night wakings (instead of nursing him), and he falls back asleep within 4 minutes. This morning, he slept until 8am for the first time ever and it was blissful! I don’t expect his sleep to magically become perfect overnight but I feel more aware his sleep habits after starting the book and it’s quite informative.

Similarly, before Pete was born, I read the “Happiest Baby on the Block” and followed the philosophy of infant care i.e. you can’t spoil a newborn, it’s the fourth trimester, etc. Now that he is 12 weeks old, we are out of the 4th trimester and I’m not sure what to do! Does anyone have a book recommendation for this phase? Is it possible that he can become spoiled/form bad habits now? How do I avoid this? Ahhh So many questions!!

DH and I had a grown up date night sans baby last night. It was wonderful and delicious! Today we went to an infant movement class in my neighborhood which was fun. There were two adorable dads there. It put such a smile on my face to see these dads with their tiny babies at this class! I wish my DH could do stuff like that with Pete but he hardly has any time off. Maybe we can find a weekend class for him…

16. Smurfette

@dojo: That is my fear. I don't have a manual. I actually leave mine in the car during the week. That way if I need to use it I can go out to the car. I just bring in the parts to pump.

@QueensBee: We got the AC fixed on Friday afternoon. Tree was removed Sat afternoon. There is a small hole in the roof, so DH is trying to find someone to come fix that today. We are broke after this weekend and we aren't done. But at least we were safe and the house was fine. And we finally got cable back. This girl missed her TV.

I bought that book from someone on HB. I haven't started it yet. I need too. No clue about what to do after the 4th trimester. R still does better swaddled and ssh'd to get her to sleep. I am so worried I am going to make it so much harder for me since we are still nursing to sleep. Jealous you got a date night. We need one bad!

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@silver1: Hope your first day back went good. Is your LO in daycare?

@Smurfette: That is not pleasant to have to deal with in the middle of the night.

@shopaholic: I hope she is feeling better and you too. Having to go to the ER would be scary. Hopefully you can get another night out soon.

@Adira: I can't eat anything spicy either and it sucks. I love spicy food.

@dojo: Good thing for the manual pump.

@QueensBee: I got the frame from etsy, but I don't have it yet, should be here this week. We talked to DH on the phone and we will be seeing him next week. That is awesome you got to sleep until 8. How many times a night are you getting up? A date night sounds awesome, I can't wait to have one.

Photos went good yesterday. Isaac passed right out laying on this big stump and it was so cute. So we are going to finish up photos this weekend as our photographer wants to go to one other spot. She only charged for an hour and she has already spent two with us, I guess that is a great benefit of having known her for a long time. I can't wait to get the photos.

We got to talk to DH yesterday for father's day and we get to see him next week for about a week and a half. It will be busy though as we will be visiting his family.

Last night Isaac was asleep at about 9pm. It was great. His first wake up was 12am, which was 4 hours after he ate, but then after feeding him it took a while to get him back to sleep. I'm hoping things start to get better in the sleep department.

18. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@QueensBee: What kind of manual do you have? I have the Lansinoh one and it seems to work pretty well without too many parts. As annoying as it was to have to use it today I am so glad to have it as an option as I KNEW it was just a matter of time before I forgot my other at home.

I have that same book - but haven't really gotten around to reading most of it. It sounds like it's working for you so maybe I'll have to check it out! I'm not too keen on the idea of CIO but figure we will have to see what will work for us when the time comes. That's awesome about a date night - I'm jealous! We totally need that soon!

@ALV91711: Oh your pictures sound cute! I hope they turn out great for you!

19. Adira

Ugh, I was feeling so good because I pumped 17 oz today, but then when I went to pick up Xander, they were feeding him his last bottle. So instead of having an extra 2 oz, I was missing 3 oz and had to pump when I got home instead of snuggle and nurse Xander. And then he went to bed super early, so I didn't get to spend much time with him. Boo!

20. Smurfette

@ALV91711: post pictures! I know y'all can't wait to see DH. That has to be hard

@Adira: R drank her bottles today too. They said she should have eaten again at 445 but at 415 she wouldn't wait for me to get there. Sorry you missed your snuggles!!! It is hard.

R was so good tonight. Hopefully will go to bed easily, nursing her now. I just love that she is starting to get so fun and not so fussy!!! I missed her so much today.

21. Adira

@Smurfette: I'm about to go wake up Xander to nurse him, so at least I'll get some cuddles in, but he'll be sleepy, so it won't be as fun as earlier would've been. Oh well. And it sounds like both our babies were hungry today! Were you able to pump enough to cover all of R's bottles?

22. Smurfette

@Adira: I pumped enough for her 3 bottles. So I took some out of the freezer for her extra. I need to start drinking the tea tomorrow I ordered

23. Adira

@Smurfette: Bummer you had to dip into your freezer stash. I ended up pumping when I got home and just barely got enough for four bottles for tomorrow.

24. Smurfette

@Adira: well I am too lazy to pump again at night. I didn't realize till I had already washed all my parts.

25. Adira

@Smurfette: I hear you. I hate pumping at night. But we have a wedding coming up in July and will be away from Xander for two days so I'm afraid to dip into my freezer stash if I can avoid it.

26. Smurfette

@Adira: two days! That is a lot of pumping.

27. Adira

@Smurfette: I know!! I'm nervous about it. I just hope my supply doesn't suffer since I know pumping isn't as good at emptying the girls as a baby.

28. Adira

Bleh... I'm sick again. I feel like I'm never going to be well. I just hope I'm over this before the weekend so I don't have to miss the bachelorette party. I think if Hubs is going to work today, I'll ask him to bring Xander to daycare so I can sleep. Hopefully some rest will help me recover from this cold more quickly.

29. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Adira: yuck I hope you get some rest and feel better!

30. Smurfette

@Adira: Boo!! I hope you feel better! Take him to DC so you can rest. You can always pick him up early if you are feeling up to it.

31. Adira

@Smurfette: Thanks! Hubs brought him to daycare this morning so I was able to sleep in. Not as much as I wanted to though because I had trouble falling asleep after I fed him and pumped this morning, and then he decided to be fussy until Hubs finally brought him to daycare. I was finally able to fall back asleep after they left! I would've slept longer, but I set my alarm for 10:30 so I could get up and pump. Now I'm going to take a shower and hope I feel better because I would like to pick Xander up early (before he gets his third bottle) so I can spend some time with him and so I don't have to pump again!

32. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Thanks Ladies! K seems to be back to her normal self now! She had 2 diarrhea diapers yesterday, but wasn't screaming in pain last night so I'm hopeful the worst has passed.

@dojo: Glad you had a back-up pump! What kind do you have? I checked them out at Target one day, but couldn't believe they still wanted like $50-60 for a manual pump!
    I can't imagine having to use one of those every day!

@QueensBee: Interesting on the book and your trials so far. So how many hours in between feedings are you going now? I still nurse K in the MOTN, but it's usually after ~ 7 hrs in between feedings. And then again after another 3-4 hours.

Ah! I totally have the same questions about this age and whether they can be spoiled or not? Like sometimes I think K is starting to "fake cry" just so I will pick her up. The doctor said we can't spoil before 6 months, but parents will say "don't spoil her" or "let her get used to xyz".

Nice you got a date with your hubby! ILs suggested we leave baby with them for an hour or two when we were over on Sunday. DH wanted to try some loud, new burger joint near their house. They were like "go take a little date!" but DH wanted to get home with the hour+ drive before K's bedtime. I'm thinking we might go see a DJ at a club in July if the ILs will come out to stay the night. DH really wants to go, so that would probably be our first "date night"!

@ALV91711: Ooh! Hope you'll share some pics!

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I hope you are feeling better and were able to get lots of rest today.

@shopaholic: Glad to hear that K is feeling better. I will share some pics when I have them, probably in 2-3 weeks.

@Smurfette: It is hard being away from DH. Only one more week to go until we see him.

34. Adira

@shopaholic: Glad K is feeling better! That's exciting that you and your DH are talking about a date night. Hubs and I haven't had one yet, but we will when we go to a wedding in July.

@ALV91711: Thanks!! I do feel better and I was able to pick Xander up from daycare early so I go some extra time with him today too, which was nice.

35. Adira

So I just put Xander to bed and I'm watching him on the video monitor and instead of sleeping, he looks like he's trying sooooooo hard to roll over, haha. He's managed to undo his half swaddle and has done a complete 180! I guess I'll just continue to let him play since he doesn't seem upset at all. Eventually he'll fall asleep... I hope.

36. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Adira: hah cute. I love when they entertain themselves

37. Adira

@aprk: haha, yes, so cute! He's now passed out, backwards and diagonal in his crib, his swaddle completely undone. Too funny!

38. Smurfette

@Adira: haha! I found R this morning completely turned around her in crib. No clue how she did it in her swaddle.

39. Adira

@Smurfette: And she was still swaddled?? That's impressive!

40. Smurfette

@Adira: yes! No clue how she did. Other then scooting herself and probably rubbing the hair off on the back of her head.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee