Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2013: Mamas & Babies!

1. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

@Adira: I am totally with you on the hair loss bummer!

@aprk: I find my hair on the LO too - I feel bad when I go to change his diaper and there's a strand (or strands) of my hair in there and I think how on earth did that happen...

@ALV91711: That's great that you got him back to sleep w/o feeding - we are working on that too - I'm ok to wake up once to feed but I need to cut out the second occasional wake up to 'snack'.

2. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: That is awesome that you got it on video. How is it going with your DH away during the week?

@dojo: The waking up to snack is kind of annoying, that is why the second time last night I didn't even offer. I'm surprised he went back to sleep. He doesn't always take a pacifier and it usually makes him angry, so I didn't even try that. Then when he woke up to eat at 7, he actually ate instead of a second snack.

3. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: This week so far as been a lot better. We are starting to find our groove. It helps a ton, she is napping better, so she isn't so fussy at night. I just miss my husband. He usually travels Mon-Thurs, so the extra night is really hard now. Plus I got so used to him being home. I know it is just so hard for him missing Reagan.

That is great you got him back to sleep without feeding. I don't have a shot at that. I have tried in the past to give her a pacifier and she just cries louder and get mad.

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

So I think Hubs is finding his groove with Xander! Usually when Xander is being fussy, I'm the one that has to settle him, but not tonight! Tonight, I put Xander to bed, and within a few minutes he started wailing (he was overtired - I missed the window to put him to bed), and Hubs took over and was able to calm him and get him to sleep with ZERO help from me!! I'm feeling a lot more confident now about leaving the two of them when I go to a bachelorette party in a couple weeks!

5. Smurfette

@Adira: Yay!!

I am sitting on the couch with a broken AC. A repair guy has two jobs he has to get to tonight. He is going to bump me to first thing tomorrow cause I told him I had a 3 month old. He has a doctors appointment at 830 but he said that he would be there right after. I put the ceiling fan on high, moved another fan in the nursery and she is sleeping in a diaper and her swaddle. Hopefully she will be ok. Probably high 70's in the house, but her room felt a lot cooler when I put her in the crib.

I HATE that DH is gone and I have to deal with this myself.

6. Adira

@Smurfette: Booo!! Not having A/C on hot days is the worst!! I think R will be okay though. We had some scorcher days a couple weeks ago and according to our video monitor, it got up to 79 in Xander's room at night!! I was worried, but he was fine, so I'm sure R will be okay. Just dress her lightly if you can. We still put Xander in his sleepers, but I tried to pick the thinest ones.

It sucks your husband is out of town though. Are you going to have to stay home from work tomorrow to meet the repair guy?

7. Arden

honeydew / 7589 posts

@Smurfette: I'm super sorry about your air con! If it makes you feel any better, we don't have air con and here in FL it's in the 90's and it doesn't seem to bother Vi at all! So I'm sure R will be fine.

8. Smurfette

@Adira: I hope she will be ok. Her swaddle isn't super thick so she should be ok. Yeah I have to take off work. I just emailed my boss to let her know. Hopefully I can make it there by noon. Of course I didn't being my laptop home so I can't just work from home.

9. Adira

@Smurfette: I'm sure she'l be fine! Check the back of her neck to see if she's sweating. And while it sucks you have to miss some work, at least you can spend it with R! Or if you send her to daycare like normal, maybe you can actuall relax or watch a show or something!

10. Smurfette

@Arden: How do you live in FL without AC? We use to live in southern FL and I can't imagine.

@Adira: I thought about sending her and grabbing my laptop and coming home but since day care is by work, which is in the burbs and we live in the city, I would be sitting in major rush hour traffic to get back home. So I guess us girls are going to have girls morning. I just went I her room and it feels ok.

11. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, that makes sense for you both to just stay home then! At least you get to spend some more time with her! I don't know about R, but Xander's always his funnest in the morning, so I'm always bummed I miss out on that time with him. Also, this means you get to nurse her instead of pumping this morning! I always prefer nursing to pumping!

12. Smurfette

@Adira: yes, the morning is her best time! And I did think, yay, less pumping!!

So last night R woke up at 340, nursed her, and she fell back asleep. I woke up at 5, and I looked at the monitor. She had worked on hand out of the swaddle, sucking on omit and had some how turned herself 90 degrees!!

13. Adira

@Smurfette: LOL!!! That is too funny!!! Was she content to just be sucking on her hand?? Maybe it's time to free her hands from the swaddle so she can get to them? That's funny that she rotated herself so much!

14. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@silver1: Welcome to the board!! My baby is also in the club of non-rollers! And he’s on the pretty much the same sleep schedule. I look forward to your updates!

@smurfette: Eeep sounds like Reagan is ready to roll, right on schedule! So cool that you got in on video for DH! She’s turning into a real wiggle worm. Sorry you have to deal with the A/C this week. I get paranoid about the temperature in Pete’s room as well. The “experts” suggest that the room is kept cooler, between 65-70 degrees, so I panic when I see the thermometer read 80 degrees. I try to remind myself that there are babies all over the world sleeping in rooms much hotter than that and they all turn out okay! I hope the repairman can fix the issue quickly and inexpensively this morning.

@dojo: Congrats on the swaddle-wean! Also glad to hear that MIL had better days with Liam this week. It’s so amazing that you have her available to watch him but I can imagine that it’s also kind of stressful/tricky when things don’t go well. Hoping that they continue to find their groove together!

@adira: Loved reading that DH is in his groove with Xander! I’m so jealous that you are going to have a girls’ weekend away soon! Ahhh I would just sleep sleep sleep in the morning! And drink lots of Margaritas!

@shopaholic: Happy 100 Days to K! I never knew about this cultural tradition until HB and I think it’s such a lovely one! Hope she recovered from the big celebration!

15. Smurfette

@Adira: She was kind of half crying, so I got her back to sleep, but then she was up for the day at 630. I don't think she is ready to be swaddle weaned yet. Last Saturday showed that when I used the bigger Swaddleme blanket, and she woke up about 5 times over the night. I saw it wasn't sure tight when she woke up the first time, lesson learned. I think that it wasn't as tight since she didn't have pjs on, so it was easier to get her arm out.

@QueensBee: That is what my parents said last night, babies have been fine for years and years without AC.

16. Adira

@QueensBee: haha, I'm soooooo excited about this bachelorette party! BUT I won't be able to get sloshed or sleep in as much as I want because I'm still EBF, so I'll have to be pumping! I also told the girl throwing the party that I can DD since I can't get too drunk anyway. BUT I still plan to drink lots of wine (just spread out over the night) and it should be a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to being able to stay up past 10:00 though! And not have to get up at 5:00 a.m.!

17. Adira

@Smurfette: Ohhh, okay, yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking she might've just been happily sucking away at her hand, but if she was fussing, then you're right, she probably should stay in the swaddle longer. ALTHOUGH if she starts rolling, you'll have to nix it I think!

18. Smurfette

@Adira: I know, I am hoping she just roll for another month or so since day care even swaddles for naps

19. Adira

@Smurfette: I hope she holds off too! Especially because I will be sooooo jealous if she rolls before Xander does!

20. Smurfette

So I just weighed myself and then again holding R. It says she is 11.9 but at 2 months she was 11.4, that can't be right can it? Her shorts and pants still fit her. 3-6 months are way to big, those are for 12lbs and up right?

21. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Being away from DH is hard. I don't know how they do it. We are on week three of being apart. Only 12 days to go until we see him. Hope your a/c is fixed. You could send some heat my way, the weather here has been rainy and crappy.

@Adira: That is awesome that your hubby is getting into a groove with Xander. Much less worry for you.

Last night was another pretty good night. Still having trouble getting Isaac to go to sleep. I start his bedtime routine between 7-7:30, depending when he eats. Then it is either bath or wipe down with a warm cloth, pj's, cuddles and one last feeding. By the time he is done it is usually 8:30 and he is tired and fights and fights and fights going to sleep. He will be just about there and then wake himself up. It is getting tiring. Last night he got to sleep around 10:15 after eating again. Then he didn't wake until almost 3:30 and ate. He woke again 2 hours later but I was able to get him to sleep again for another hour before he ate. Then he was up for the day at 8:30. He's had a couple good naps today and I'm hoping for one more before dinner time.

22. Adira

@Smurfette: Are you thinking that 11.9 is more than you were expecting, or less? And I do think the 3-6 are for 12lbs+, though they're probably still pretty big on 12lbs!

@ALV91711: I wonder why he fights going to sleep so much!! He must be exhausted by the time he finally goes down! Babies are crazy.

23. Smurfette

@ALV91711: we were having those fights every night so we started nursing to sleep. Which I know is going to be a bad habit to break but DH and I couldn't deal with it. Going to give it a month and then wean from it and then sleep train.

@Adira: Less!! Shouldn't she have gained more then .5 in a month???

24. Adira

@Smurfette: Keep in mind that your scale at home probably isn't that accurate. I'm not sure what is normal growth though. I tried to do the same kind of weigh-in for Xander and I think he has maybe gained a pound in a month, but it's hard to know for sure. 0.5 lbs in a month does seem low, but it might not be. Plus your scale probably isn't giving you an good estimate. Is she doing at least 6-8 wet diapers? I bet she is fine. When is your next ped appointment? Is there any way you can just bring R in sometime to get weighed?

25. Adira

OMG, no wonder Xander has a diaper rash! I just asked Hubs to change his diaper and when he did, I asked if he put diaper rash cream on him. His response was "He already had some." Umm... Yeah, from his last diaper change. I said "What, did you not wipe his butt?" His response: "He didn't need it. He only peed." What the what?!? Shouldn't you wipe all over, regardless of whether it's poop or pee??? Or am I being anal???

26. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Adira: I admit I don't always wipe when it's just pee ... although it never occurred to me not to until another boy mama mentioned it

27. Adira

@aprk: Oh really? Do you really not have to? I assumed he was still getting pee all over himself and that I should clean it. Is that not the case?

28. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Adira: um, I think everyone's tolerance is different. It certainly can't hurt to wipe. I've heard that sometimes diaper rash can be aggravated by the disposable wipes, though. We use cloth + water so I guess I don't really have an excuse. Pee is sterile anyway ...

29. Adira

@aprk: Hmm... I thought I had read somewhere that pee can irritate their skin. I don't know though!

30. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Adira: do you use disposable diapers? The pee probably isn't touching him much since they are so absorbent. Whatever works, for sure!

31. Adira

@aprk: We do use disposable, so probably most of it is absorbed and he stays dry. But there have been a couple times wjen I've changed his diaper immediately after he peed and he seemed wet, especially in the creases of his legs, so I'm not sure. I think I'm just paranoid about doing a good job cleaning him because he has diapee rash. Poor guy.

32. Smurfette

So not only do I not have power, bad storms here but a tree fell on our house. Looks like it clipped the edge of the house. It is right over Reagan's room. We were in the basement since we had tornado warnings. Came up when the storms stopped, got her asleep and in her crib. Then I went outside and saw everything. The neighbors across the street and over had a huge tree fall in the middle of the road. So the rest of the neighborhood doesn't have power or can leave. They are blocked in til someone clears the road.
    So I am thankful we have power!! I moved Reagan into the RnP in our room, other side if the house, just in case.

And I am really annoyed, talked to DH earlier and now his phone is off. He told me what restaurant they were at so I called there and they already left.

33. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Adira: I know. It's so sad when their little bums are red and sore hope it clears up soon

34. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: I nurse to sleep if he is still fighting it after two hours. My step mom just brought a rocker to my mom's for me to borrow and so tonight I rocked him in it after he fed and it only took 3 tries to put him down in the one hour after he was done eating and no screaming and crying.

Geez, I can't believe a tree hit your house. I'm glad you are ok.

@Adira: I wipe every time even if it is just pee and put on new diaper cream. I was unsure about wiping every time and had to ask DH in the beginning because I wasn't sure and he said yes, so that is what I do.

35. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Smurfette: holy heck - scary!! Glad you have power. Hope you both can get some rest tonight.

36. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

Andy woke up after only 4 hours (boo!) and was soaking wet, as was his bassinet (double boo!). I went to change him and OMG THE SCREAMING. So much so that I didnt put clothes back on him. I have no idea what happened as this is super rate for him. I nursed him for 8 minutes and he was out.

He's dressed now and sleeping in my lap. I feel so badly for him that I can't bear to put him down.

(Plus I don't feel like cleaning up his bassinet ... delaying the inevitable I guess.)

37. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Thank you ladies about the party. I haven't had a chance to upload pics or even write TY cards yet - very unlike me!

@Smurfette: Man! When it rains it storms - literally huh? Glad you and R are safe and have power at least. Sucks your DH is gone but YaY for R rolling over and catching it on video! I've been working with K and keep trying to record her, but she won't go all the way over yet on her own. But seems to always want to roll over when I'm out somewhere and she's on a changing table! That's the scariest!

@Adira: Glad to hear your DH is finding his groove with Xander! And OMG on the hair loss and hair everywhere. It's ridiculous! I feel like could "spin" it into a yarn the way it endlessly comes out when I just run my fingers through it. I have now resorted to Swiffer-ing to pick up the hair and I go thru 4 sheets in just our bedroom every day! ew!

K was incredible with the napping today! For every day almost the past week, she's barely gotten 3 hours of napping cumulatively! But today was some miracle of miracles and I got over 4 hours almost continuously! It was Amazing how much stuff I got done! I actually made myself something to eat, sat down to eat it (still scarfed it down though), and did quite a bit of packing prep for our trip. After she went down for the night I even had enough energy to go digging through old clothes I'd put away since pregnancy, and spent an hour shopping my own closet. Let's just say afternoons like this are not taken for granted!

38. Adira

@Smurfette: OMG!!! I can't believe how bad of a storm you had!!! YIKES!!! So scary!!! Glad you and R are okay! Can you tell how much damage the tree did? And what a pain that you couldn't get a hold of DH. Have you been able to since last night?

@ALV91711: Okay, that's what I do too! Glad I'm not the only one. Hubs made me think I was being crazy. Glad to hear the rocker has worked wonders for you!!

@aprk: Awwww, poor Andy!!! Do you still swaddle him? Is it possible he hurt himself or do you think it was just being wet that bothered him so much? I hope you both were able to get some sleep!

@shopaholic: Yay!!! Glad to hear that K got some good napping in!!! Sounds like her normal napping is like Xander's - he's a cat-napper and only sleeps for like 30 minutes at a time with maybe one hour long nap. Good for you being able to get some stuff done! Hopefully her longer naps weren't a fluke and she'll repeat it for you!

39. aprk

pomegranate / 3452 posts

@Adira: he was unswaddled. He didn't start screaming until I starting walking him into the nursery as when I laid him down, hoo boy! I hope it was just bc he was wet.

40. Adira

@aprk: Oh, okay, so it's not because he hurt himself or anything. Xander likes to claw at his eyeballs, so we've resorted to making him wear mittens at night, haha. It probably was because he was just wet and uncomfortable!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee