Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@SleepyMonkey: for J it was 12 days but I never woke her at night which was ok with my widwife though,

2. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: L was close enough to his birth weight when we went to the Dr at 10 days that she said we could let him sleep in the MOTN, which surprised me since my last LO had jaundice and we woke her up until she was at least a month old!

Speaking of sleep, the past two nights L has slept from 9pm-3am! I seriously can't believe it / don't believe it will stick but am praying that it does. My boobs are like rocks in the middle of the night but man, one MOTN wake up is so much easier to deal with than two!

3. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@HappyBaker: yay what an amazing stretch of sleep. Our schedule is working out quite nicely too. She'll nurse at 8-9pm and then a little after midnight and at 4:30/5am to then sleep until 9-10am. That last long strech is too late for me to fully sleep but it gives me lots of alone time with B and I can get him ready without rushing (he gets up at 7am these days).

4. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HappyBaker: Omg what a great stretch of sleep!! So envious. Maybe you just have a great sleeper on your hands.

5. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: C was over birth weight by nine-ish days.

@HappyBaker: awesome sleep! C did seven hours the night before last and I still feel amazing.

C woke after five hours last night but then only nursed for a minute and then fell soundly asleep for another four hours. I woke up with the most enormous and painful boulders in my shirt. I'm hoping she's getting ready to drop that feed completely.

How are you ladies doing?

6. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Woo! Just got back from our Dr appt and she is an oz over her birth weight!

7. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: hooray!

8. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@oliviaoblivia: I can't wait until we get those longer stretches of sleep!

9. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: awesome!

10. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@SleepyMonkey: yay, amazing news!

11. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Where are all your babies sleeping? Right now we have her in her bouncer (I think its similar to the rock n play) next to our bed. She doesn't like laying flat on her back and swaddled.

Also how is bf-ing going? We are doing OK here but she has latch problems on my left side. I think the nipple is somewhat flatter than my right, so she latches and unlatches about 5-7 times during the feeding and ends up having lots of burps. Its so annoying. Milk gets everywhere! I had this issue with my first but now my nipples are bigger and so I didn't think it would be a problem. Hoping that once she gets a little bigger and her mouth is bigger, this problem will go away.

12. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: L is in a rock and play next to out bed too - only for night. Naps are a crapshoot and usually on me! I actually had similar issues BFing my first (one nipple made things hard) and that's why I switched to EPing so fast this time, the struggle was just too much! But I'm sure as your LO gets older/ a bigger mouth it will get better!

13. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: we had major latch issues the first week. Both nipples were scabbed over. Yucko! I saw a LC at five days pp and we worked things out quickly. She's gaining well and I don't have any pain anymore.
    C is co sleeping with us. We have a cosleeper, but she hates it. She's been doing great stretches in bed with me so I'm hesitant to try anything else yet. Naps are wherever whenever. My lap, car seat, our bed, swing...if she's snoozing I'm happy.

14. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: E was back over birth weight by 6 days old--but she ate like a maniac the first few days my milk was in. Since then, her weight gain has evened out to be more normal.

Little lady is sleeping in her crib--the bedrooms in our house are so tiny, and hers is right across the hall. Literally, DH can see her crib from his side of the bed if both bedroom doors are open. So, we just put her in there from day one. Sometimes it works better than others, but it's the best solution for us because we don't have space in our room for any other equipment.

She actually let us sleep from 12-6 last night/this morning...practically a miracle! She's been eating every hour before she finally "goes to bed," though, so I guess you give a little and take a little. I'm good with it if it means such a long stretch of sleep!

And breastfeeding is going pretty well...I started pumping this week, and am hoping to build a small stash of BM before I go back to work in 7 ( ) weeks. I like to pump after her first morning feed and then again when DH gives her a bottle in the evening, but it's tough to pump in the morning when I'm alone with her as she gets pretty fussy because of her bellyaches.

Love seeing everyone's updates...and so many more January babies this week!

15. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HappyBaker: what is up with that. Why can't both nipples be completely symmetrical?? I did think about just pumping the left for now but I am too lazy to assemble my pump parts.

@oliviaoblivia: ouch! That sounds painful. Glad the LC was able to help you out so quickly! We used the cosleeper thing with my first and I hated it. It killed my back to lift her out of it (I have a bad back).

We aren't even at the stage for naps yet. She is pretty mch asleep the whole day except for about one hour total!

16. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@SleepyMonkey: J sleeps in her crib in our room on the good days and on me/next to me on the not so good days. The nights in the crib are getting more though.

BF is working out pretty well so far. My nipples aren't even half as sore as last time. Also my crazy oversupply is way better controlled.

ETA: naps are usually on me or next to me on the couch. Sometimes in the carseat or her stroller bassinet.

17. MapleMoose

grapefruit / 4213 posts

@SleepyMonkey: DD2 is sleeping in the Rock n Play next to our bed at night. During the day she sleeps in the seat for the swing, but we don't have the seat attached to the swinging mechanism (if that makes sense). So it's just a bouncy rocking bed for now.

My left nipple is flat too so I'm having so much trouble with latch on that side. I was so sick from the chest infection that I didn't have the energy to work on BF so I am pumping but also FF. She was only down 2 oz at her first appointment. Now that I'm feeling better I'm going to try to get DD2 to latch since we are up at night anyways. Darn girl sleeps all day and fusses all night. You'd think it'd be easy to wake a newborn but we can barely rouse her during the day!

18. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@SleepyMonkey: So glad your appointment went well! A was 2oz over her birth weight at her 1 week appointment at 9 days.

She's currently sleeping in the napper in her PnP in our room but she's getting way too tall for it. She scoots once and she's down to the very bottom where likes to kick her feet up lol even while swaddled. We'll probably move her after her 1-month appointment next week out of the bassinet and into the actual PnP.

BFing is going great. We're nursing a lot less now and sessions are getting shorter. She was up today from 9-2 (not fussy, just hanging out) and now she's still "napping" but will be up soon.

@MapleMoose: A is a dead sleeper once she's asleep. Yesterday I walked 4 miles with the BFF and she didn't even budge during the industrial sized leaf blower blowing in our ears or any of the various hills and bumps we strolled over. When we were waking her up every 3 hours, it was so hard to get her up!

19. pmrlady

apricot / 316 posts

@SleepyMonkey: J sleeps in the Fisher price portable bassinet by our bed at night and naps are either in the bouncer or just on our couch. Although when she's super fussy at night she refuses to sleep in the bassinet and I end up taking her to bed with us.

What's the best way to get longer stretches of sleep at night? J is still waking up every 2.5 to 3 hours to nurse. Sometimes she goes 4 hours but its pretty rare. I'm wondering if I should try to feed her more during the day by waking her up from her naps so that she'll need less calories at night? She's 3 weeks old now.

Also when is a good time to start a consistent wake up time in the morning to set the routine for the day? Right now we have no routine and just feed on demand. I'm still on maternity leave until J is 8 weeks old so I don't need to wake up at any particular time but I definitely want to get her on some sort of routine before going back to work.

20. sorrycharlie

hostess / watermelon / 14932 posts

@SleepyMonkey: C hit birth weight yesterday (on the nose!) and was 9 days.

Sorry for being MIA--was just crazy here and then we were told C has MCADD which is just overwhelming me we have an appt with a geneticist Wednesday.

21. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@pmrlady: I've been making sure L eats every 3 hours during the day, but I'm not sure if that's what's helped him sleep longer at night. I think bottle feeding has helped a bit because he always takes a full feed instead of snacking. But I think it's really luck / they do it when they're ready!

@sorrycharlie: so sorry that you got that news

22. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@pmrlady: I think that they start to sleep longer stretches when they get above a certain weight..like 10-11 lbs. I've resigned myself to just waking up every 3-4 hours for the next 6 weeks or so. Eh. Re: morning wake up times, I don't think it became consistent until LO#1 was like 10 weeks old. But we didn't really actively try to make it consistent it just happened on its own.

@sorrycharlie: so sorry that you had this news! Hopefully it is nothing more than just keeping her fed and full.

Sorry lots of breastfeeding questions today. Do your babies always nurse on both sides or just one? J was doing both sides until my.milk came in and now she only does one side per feed and stares at the second side with zero interest. Or she falls asleep and I can't wake her to get onto the second side. I am stressing out that she isn't getting enough to eat....I mean she had a good weigh in today...but I am still stressing. Ugh. Post partum anxiety?

23. sorrycharlie

@SleepyMonkey: it depends! she had been doing one til yesterday/today, i think she's having a growth spurt because she's nursing every 45 min-2 hours if I'm lucky

24. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

On my computer for the first time in a week - I've been following along on my phone, but it's so hard to reply there!

@SleepyMonkey: bfing is rough for us right now. Dealing with latch issues (bleeding/cracked nipples owww!!), and I'm currently nursing only on the left side and pumping on the right because it's too painful. Appointment with a lactation consultant Monday so hopefully I can make it through the weekend.

When she sleeps, it's in the rock n play. But she has her days and nights mixed up right now

We had our first dr. appt at 5 days and she was up 3 ounces from when we were discharged from the hospital.

Newborn photos are scheduled for next week. I just ordered some ridiculously cute hats for the photos - can't wait to get them.
    Anyone else doing newborn photos?

25. sorrycharlie

if anyone hasn't tried it yet, I bit the bullet and got a RX for newman's APNO (nipple ointment). It was $45 but it's so worth the money. within a day I can nurse without cursing out loud, ha.

also, my left nipple is the trouble maker too! seems to be a trend, lol.

26. pmrlady

apricot / 316 posts

@sorrycharlie: Sorry about the MCADD. I hope you get all the resources you need to manage it.

@SleepyMonkey: J sometimes nurses from one side and other times does both sides. I think you just might have more milk supply now. As long as she has the appropriate number of wet and dirty diapers and seems satisfied, I don't think you have to worry about it.

@charmed: sorry about the latch issues, hopefully the lactation consultant will help. I've found that nipple cream helps a lot with the soreness.

27. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@sorrycharlie: yes APNO is like heaven for nipples! So worth it!

28. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@pmrlady: For us, feeding a TON during the day is our technique. We also try to keep her awake as much as possible from around 6 - 10PM...although I say that at 9:33 when baby girl is zonked out on my chest after a big fat snack. Ha!

@sorrycharlie: Thinking of you, lady. I hope you figure out a very doable way to manage the MCADD!!

29. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@sorrycharlie: ugh I'm not looking fwd to the growth spurts at all. Cluster feeding...shudder. So funny that everyone's left boob is the problem child.

@charmed: ouch. Sorry bf-ing is so tough right now. Hang in there. Sounds like baby is getting enough to eat though! 5 days to get above birth weight is awesome. Not doing newborn photos. We didn't with LO#1 so I don't want to be "unfair".

@pmrlady: definitely have enough dirty and wet diapers. Thanks for the reassurance

30. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@pmrlady: C was a bigger baby and I think size contributes to sleep. Her stomach is big!
    I'm on mat leave for a year so I'm not worried about waking for a routine until she shows signs of readiness.

@sorrycharlie: I don't know much about mcadd but what Google just told me. Im so glad they picked it up, it sounds like you're really lucky to have it diagnosed before she has any problems.

And yeah APNO .

@SleepyMonkey: sometimes she nurses both but lately she's been only doing one side. My supply is out of control right now so I have tons of milk. It's a good thing, but I leak like crazy and am constantly changing my shirt.

@charmed: can't wait to see your pics!

31. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

I can come join you guys now! So far, H is nursing like a champ. I'm shocked because we had so many problems with E. I'm really hopeful that I will actually have a supply this time.

E met his little brother for the first time today and had the cutest expression. Like he was totally skeptical of this baby business.

DH has had to go home last night and tonight because we don't otherwise have childcare for E. Apparently I can stay until Monday because of the C-section, there's no way I'm staying away from my family for another night. I dang near broke down in tears when my firstborn had to leave tonight!

32. Kimberlybee

grapefruit / 4997 posts

@Espion: Awww sorry you have to be away from your firstborn but CONGRATULATIONS on the new addition!

33. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@Kimberlybee: Thank you! DH and I feel like we finally crossed some sort of threshold into adulthood...a family of four, lol!

34. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Second time moms, do you feel like you have more milk with this baby? I feel like I do. I just pumped for the first time so we can intro the bottle, which our first never took, and I got way more milk just from one side than I remember getting with the first...but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

35. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@SleepyMonkey: i am actually really glad I don't have as much milk since I had major oversupply issues with my first. I do feel as though as if I have enough milk though.

36. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Any milk is more than I had for E, but H is a way better nurser off the bat than E ever was. I'm hopeful!

37. sorrycharlie

@SleepyMonkey: I haven't pumped yet, but I have a normal supply I think. Maybe a little over (lots of quick engorgement) but last time I pumped a ton to try to avoid nursing (pain!) and created a massive over supply!

38. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

I've had a cold since yesterday Ugh trying not to pass it on to A is my biggest challenge right now. Thus far, she's been pretty good and I've been good about hand washing in the house before she got here to get everyone prepared for having a newborn around.

Are people feeling entitled to holding your babies? We had three "associates" ask today and these are people I never see interacting with any of our other friend's babies, who they've known for a lot longer than us. I'm wondering why they care about our baby? lol we're not even close. It's just so weird managing people's expectations/feelings when it comes to babies.

39. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I have more milk than last time. I leak like crazy now and hardly ever leaked with DD1.

40. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Why do I have so many questions? I've done this before. I'm confused about pumping...so I pumped the side she didn't eat from last time. My dh fed her 2oz for the next feed and then she nursed bit. Now do I pump the side she didn't eat from again? Or should I just skip it because I don't want to create am oversupply? Why am I being dense today.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee