Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2013 Babies

1. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

Hi ladies! I hope everyone had a great turkey day. The past few days have been a but rough. I woke up with a cold pm Tuesday. I was hoping it was just allergies but nope... sore throat, stuffy nose, and crazy sinus pressure. I was bummed to learn that many cold meds can mess with your supply so I'm surviving on streaky showers, warm tea, and some leftover motrin from delivery.

Because of the cold we stayed home for turkey day. My husband braved both trader joes and whole foods on turkey eve so he could cook us our own thanksgiving since we wouldn't be at my parents. It was sweet. He said little S shouldn't miss his first turkey day! Lucky for us little S napped great and gave us time to both cook, relax, and later eat together. Of course I'm paying for it now since I've been up all night with him!

How is everyone doing?

2. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@anbanan15 -- I am glad I didn't know at the time, I'm pretty sure I would have been freaking out- which would have made things WAY worse and more stressful.

@sweetooth -- it's kind of crazy how many "random" things like breech babies and babies with cords around their necks seemed to happen with our November babies-- I'm glad everyone is safe and sound too!

@ChitownRo -- I tried EP for the first week-- but now she's eating 2 oz consistently every 2-3 hours (growth spurt?) and on top of that the kid doesn't like to sleep long enough to give me time to pump LOL- it takes me about half an hour each side to get 2oz... props for being able to keep up EP I never thought not being able to BF would be so stressful but it is kind of nerve racking....

@lilteacherbee the recovery is going... I'm not in as much constant pain now but I definitely feel it when I over do it and try to lift... esp. trying to carry the stupid carseat! how about you??

@sarah.clarisse thanks!!! I love how the photos turned out!

how is everyone doing with sleep? Caroline does such short naps during the day when I'm home alone with her that I can't sleep much during the day yet (learning how to maximize the half hour naps!)

I seriously felt like cutting my husband the other day when he told me he was "tired" after I'd been up with the baby literally the entire night and all day-- and he'd only been up since 5:15 AM. It was about 6:00PM and he told me he wanted to take a nap or go to bed early if I wasn't going to take a nap...

FWIW, he's not always that clueless... he took her to the grocery store last night when she was having a screaming fit so I wouldn't hear her and wake up from my nap

3. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

Ugh. Feeling like a terrible mom right now. Tried so hard to keep little S away from people during this cold/flu season. Then I go and catch a nasty cold and give it to my own baby. He's been sick since yesterday and it is seriosly stressing me out. What a fail

4. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@sarah.clarisse: Don't feel bad! Just keep the cuddles coming and you'll both feel better soon!

My LO is super congested again. I don't know if she is actually sick or if it's just from birth still because this is how she was in the hospital. She doesn't have a fever. We got one of those nosefrida's but it only helps for like a second.

5. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

@anbanan15: thanks! Its just so ironic that I'm the one to get him sick! He was congested from birth also. We always joke about his snorting sounds This is different since its actually buggers and snot running out. Thank goodness for HB or I wouldn't have known about the nose frida, omg it's amazing!

6. Cara M. 17

clementine / 825 posts

Hi everyone! Finally checking in on this board! Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving with their babies!

@sarah.clarisse: so sorry to hear you are sick -- hope you can get some rest and feel better quickly.

@anbanan15: Baby M sounds congested sometimes too! We tried the nose frida but nothing came out!

@Mrs. Pink: Those photos are beautiful!!!!!

We are doing well overall, still working on BF and my nipples are on the mend (I hope). After looking on Kelly mom, I think I have a forceful letdown which is causing her to bite down on my nipple to try to slow the flow and is also causing the nipple cracks. She's also been spitting up a bit more lately when she eats a lot. We are going through a lot of outfits!

ETA:

Name: Harper Elizabeth
    Sex: Girl
    Due date: November 23
    Birth date: November 11
    Length: 19.5 inches
    Weight: 6 pounds 11 ounces

7. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

@Cara M. 17: I deal with a forceful letdown as well. It definitely adds to the milk spit ups. My little guy takes full advantage of my supply and gorges himself if I'm not careful. It's not pleasant.

8. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

Well little S took his first bottle from dad this evening. It wasnt planned, but it went really well. He hasn't been eating quite as well since he caught this cold and tonight he flat out refused to nurse. He'd pull away screaming at me as soon as I placed him on the boppy. So we defrosted a bag from the freezer, guessed at the temp he'd like, through it in the free bottle we got when shopping for maternity clothes and he downed it like a champ. I admit it made me sad that he wanted the bottle and not his mom but DH was happy to finally share in the feeding. Hopefully he's back to the boob for his middle of the night feeding... I'm not sure what the problem was.

9. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

Love seeing all the new babies!
    I'm back at work now so I will actually be keeping up with HB

Jack has been sleeping SO freaking good. This week he's slept 6 hours Wednesday, 6 hours Friday, 7 hours Saturday and then 8 HOURS last night. Woop woop! 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep (AND WHEN I'M SUPPOSED TO BE ASLEEP!!!) is Heaven on Earth. ah!

10. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@MrsTiz: I can't believe you are back to work already! Time goes so fast! Jack went with you right? Yay for such an awesome sleeper and mommy being able to sleep as well

11. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@anbanan15: yep this is our second week back! Jack is napping in my arms as I type

12. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@MrsTiz: ahh so sweet! I would take him with as long as I could!

13. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@MrsTiz: you are so lucky to be able to take him! I wish I had that option... not looking forward to going back and leaving Caroline all day

is anyone doing tummy time yet?? they didnt mention when to start this to me at the Ped. or in the hospital and I'm wondering when it's supposed to be begin? Also what the heck do you do with a 3 week old during tummy time?

14. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsTiz: Oh I am so jealous about the sleep! Go Jack!!

@sarah.clarisse: Oh no, I hope he's doing better with feeding today!

Nathan had his 2 (and a half) week check up today and he's 9lb 4oz!! So 7 oz above birth weight and a pound more than when he came home. My boy is a chunker haha Everything is going well here Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

15. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@Mrs. Pink: We started around then, my pedi said do it 3x a day, 3 min each time. He didn't do much of anything other than cry, kick his legs and cry more. He rolled over at 5 weeks though, so obviously it was helping him get his strength! At 3wk she should just be turing her head and lifting it up.

16. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

@Mrs. Pink: our pediatrician said to start tummy time at our three week apt. We've been really bad about it though. Little S hates it. We try to do it on the boppy and DHs chest but it's not the same.

@MrsTiz: Have you found that Jack tolerates tummy time the more the more often you do it?

17. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

@lilteacherbee: way to go packing on the pounds! Our little S is a big eater as well. We love his rolls and double chin!

18. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@sarah.clarisse: No, not at all lol he's still not a fan. He'll roll over every now and then and if he flips over as soon as I put him down I let him be done. If not I do the full 3 min. He still screams the entire time

19. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

@MrsTiz: ok. You've inspired me to just deal with the crying!

20. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

I'll have to start trying it now- we have her on her tummy when we lay with her on our chests. so she gets that time "kind of" -- she's had freakishly good neck control since she was born-- she can lift her head and turn it when she's laying on our chests now so I'll have to start giving her a little more time on her tummy on the couch (it's a firmer couch) and see how that goes.

I just bought one of those tummy time mats with a little pillow so I'm thinking that she'll be spending more time on that

21. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@MrsTiz: that is awesome! Caroline only rolls onto her side and back when we have her on her back- she's been doing it since a week-- I'm hoping the roll over completely action will follow!

22. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@lilteacherbee: that's awesome! I'm curious to see how much Caroline weighs-- her appointments are only once a month (she had a 1 week check-up and then after that they're a month)

I wish she had more check-ups, I have so many questions that would be nice to get answers to...

23. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

So much going on!!! I'm still here, I read EVERYTHING, just suck at posting back these days!

It's so great to hear that everyone is doing so great! Things are going well here, LO will be a MONTH on Wednesday...how the heck did THAT happen?? Seriously freaking out about it, I can't believe how fast the time is going. I had to pack up all of her newborn stuff as she's grown out of most of it...she's still swimming in the 3 month stuff, but it's better than being stuck in something too small!

DH left today for his first full week back at work (on the road), so we're flying solo for the week, which I think should go fine--when he left for 3 days last time, we made it out alive! Feeding is going well...I think. We have a lactation appointment at her 1 month appointment on Wednesday, so I'm hoping I'll get a little more clarity then. I've mostly dropped pumping after every feeding...and 2 days ago LO was sleeping hard so I decided to pump during what would be a "normal/full" feeding for her, I got THREE ounces!!! The downfall is that it was about 4.5 hours since I had fed last so I don't know if I got a lot because it had been so long. So we've been cutting back on supplementing her with formula except for when she seems to still be hungry after nursing, which has only been twice in the past two days. She's still wetting/pooping often enough (I think?), so who knows! Again, I'm hoping to find out she's transferring enough and the pumping session wasn't a fluke due to the length between sessions.

Aaaanyway, I'm hoping to get in the swing of things this week with sleeping, she's still waking up every 2-3ish hours to eat, which might be attributed to the fact that she isn't getting a whole lot at each feeding? I've started pulling her into bed with me a few mornings this last week when DH was gone, which has worked out great for catching a few extra hours of sleep in the morning! She'll usually go down after she eats, sometimes she'll fuss for an hour and be wide awake until the next feeding, sometimes she'll just pass out and sleep until the next feeding... I guess I'll eventually start working on getting that consistent, but it isn't bothering me/her right now (I hope!) so I guess I'm not too worried about it!

We think she might have some reflux/gas issues? Every now and then she'll end up with hiccups that she seems to HATE, so I'll be asking about that on Wednesday. That's about our only complaint though, DH has been freaking awesome, he loves her so much and has been rocking everything, he's been so great. We'll definitely be missing him this week! I am head over heels in love with this little ball of baby--I am just so happy with how everything has been going so far.

But yeah, hope all is well with everyone else! I LOVE following along with you all, it feels like we have a nice little momma support group here!

24. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@Mrs. Pink: Does your hospital/birthing center offer free weight checks? I know our does every other Tuesday for infants (babies under 1, maybe 2 years). The nurses will weigh them and then if you want to stick around they do an inform discussion group after. It's a great way to check weights between well visits.

@ms.janedoe: Great update! I love hearing how your BFing journey had changed and progressed. You and little H have both done an amazing job with it!! Keep up the good work and you've to this this week and of course if you need anything this group of mamas is here to listen.

25. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@ms.janedoe: J gets hiccups a lot, so I looked it up...it means their bellies are full! Hiccups come from an irritated diaphragm, which can easily happen when their torsos are so little and their tummies fill up with milk.

Jack seems to mostly like tummy time, and he has been trying to hold his head up from birth! It's amazing.

26. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@lilteacherbee: Awe! My LO weighed more than that at birth - so I can relate to a little chunka baby!

I need to add my stats soon. Probably once we're out of the hospital and we're in a routine in a week or so.

27. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

Just got back from a weight check (11 days) and our little lady is up to 7 lbs 12 oz already! I guess she is just an efficient nurser in her 5-10 min sessions every 3ish hours

ETA: I thought this was interesting! I just went back and checked DS's weight gain in the first 11 days compared to hers and they both gained 9 oz from birth to 11 days old!

28. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

Ya'll.. Jack slept almost 9 hours straight last night.

WHAT.

He must be in a mega growth spurt, but i'll take it! They make up for the epic meltdowns before bedtime haha

29. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@MrsTiz: That is AMAZING!! Take all the sleep you can get!

30. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@anbanan15: Unfortunately that means he stays awake all day, which is good..buuut he is never awake and just content. He needs to be held, moved every 2 minutes, played with, etc. which is incredibly hard when I have work to do. I don't think I see him being at work with me lasting long. Gah I get so worked up thinking about him having to go to MIL's or daycare. I just want to be with him all day but I can't get any work done with him here and I can't afford to stay home full time.

31. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@MrsTiz: have you tried wearing him in a Moby/wrap or ring sling? DS was like that too (except he didn't sleep at night either) and baby wearing was a life saver!! You can use a woven wrap or RS this little to do a back carry and free up your entire front for working. Sorry he doesn't cooperate for you some more!

32. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@MrsTiz: @anbanan15: It's not the same as being at work, but I love the boba wrap around the house. Reagan loves to be held all the time. It's really my fault for never putting her down, but it is so convenient to pop her in the wrap and go about my daily activities around the house. She is currently snoring in it as I type. I highly recommend trying it, especially if it will let you keep Jack at work longer!

33. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

so for any of you who are pumping and feeding or doing formula- how much are your LOs eating/how often? Caroline eats every 2 hours on average (sometimes she wants to eat every hour and a half and sometimes she sleeps and doesn't want to eat for 4...) and is eating 2oz (usually half BM and half formula) it's been suggested we bump her to 3oz so that it's closer to every 3-4 hours so we can catch some sleep... but I don't want to over feed her...

also if you could toss your LOs weight in that would help- since feeding is based on weight- or it's supposed to be?

34. FarmWifeGina

pear / 1571 posts

Guess I should update this thread, huh? Here's our deets:

Name: Rosalie Helene (middle name changed from Grace to Helene at the last minute due to the passing of my great-grandmother)
    Weight: 9 lbs.
    Length: 21.5 inches
    Also, because it still freaks me out, her head was 14 in. and her chest was 14.5 in.

I'd love to tell you that I have a detailed birth story written up, but I don't yet. I will someday, but I still don't feel like I've found the words to describe it. My other births have been great, but it feels entirely unfair that I pretty much had the birth experience I dreamed of and it was beyond amazing when so many moms don't. Not all the details happened exactly how I pictured, but the warmth and the support I felt were exactly what I was hoping for. This was my easiest labor, although not really any faster than my previous births, and I do partially credit it to being able to be completely open and vulnerable with my support team. I did a lot of talking out loud to pump myself up and voicing my fears and focused on staying in the moment and not psyching myself out by thinking about how much harder it was going to get or how much longer I was going to have to do this for. And then I got the most gorgeous little baby girl. For some reason I wasn't really shocked when I saw she was a girl. Probably because SO many people thought she was a girl and I figured the general consensus was probably right.
    So, since Sunday morning, other than running around for some blood tests (midwives can't do the newborn screenings here) and to see the LC and maybe a holiday party that I absolutely couldn't miss because I helped plan it, lol, we've been babymooning in the basement, nursing and staying warm on the same couch where she was born. So far my milk supply is the best it's ever been and I feel like I'm the closest thing to being engorged that I've ever experienced. I pumped .25 oz out of one breast this morning, which is a total record for me. But my milk only came in yesterday, on day 3, and she was already showing signs of dehydration on Tuesday evening, so we started supplementing with our donor milk and syringes. So now we're just watching diaper output and nursing as often as she wants. Which, btw, is still excruciatingly painful at this point and I can profess no love for it, but I hope it will be better in a few days so we press on. Anyways, that's us! Going back to catch up with everyone else!

35. shellio

pear / 1614 posts

@ms.janedoe: So awesome to hear that BFing is going well now! That's great!

@lilteacherbee: Glad to hear everything is going well for you

@MrsTiz: Enjoy that sleep!

Baby M slept over 7 hours 2 nights ago... I was so happy but last night he was back to waking up every 3-3.5 which is still not so bad. I am looking forward to getting him on a more consistent schedule, my older son did great with a consistent schedule from early on but trying not to stress about it yet.

As for tummy time - I think there was a good HB post about it at some point. One recommendation which I thought was useful was to do it on top of a balance ball. (Holding LO, obviously.) Both my sons have hated it so far but don't mind it as much on our chests which is a totally valid way of getting the time in.

36. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

re: sleep, Caroline has been sleeping a ton lately-- most nights I can get her down by 11 and she'll sleep for 3-4 hours and then after that feeding, sleep another couple hours, eat and then sleep some more plus she sleeps during the day for around 45 minutes after each feeding too.... the rest of the time she's fussy though so I'm having a hard time "making" her stay awake during the day!

Do any of you practice the whole "eat/play/sleep" type routines yet?

37. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@FarmWifeGina: I hope nursing is getting a bit better. She's so precious!! You, me, and @Ash have some big babies

@Mrs. Pink: We introduced a bottle early, so while we mainly breastfeed, he gets 1-2 bottles of pumped milk a day. He's 3 weeks now and drinks 3 oz every 2.5-3 hours. When we did our weighed feeding at 1.5 weeks, he was already transferring 2.5 oz via the breast. He usually only nurses for 15 or so minutes, so I guess he's just extremely efficient!

38. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

We're doing pretty well over here. Nathan is a great sleeper at night (3 hour stretches, but goes right back to sleep), but naps are sometimes a fight. I start to feel overwhelmed at times, but my husband really is amazing and I feel so blessed that he helps out so much.

Right now, I have a few minutes to myself because I'm at my mom's and she and my grandmother are totally obsessed with N!

39. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

For the 3rd time in the past 4 days (not last night) we have had large amounts of vomiting in the evening. Each time it occurs around the same time, between 7-10pm and is enough to soak the entire pack n play! I hear her choking and look over and milk just keeps flooding out of her mouth, then she goes back to sleep....

I'm hoping she just over indulges and we are not facing issues like with DS. She isn't fussy or have any other allergy signs that he did at this point. She did have a really stringy, mucus filled diaper the other day and some diapers have minor mucus, but I think that is more from my over supply and/or all that mucus draining from her horrible congestion. Stool color/smell was fine and she isn't in discomfort.

40. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

Had our 4th Lactation appointment on Wednesday--she transferred 3.2 ounces!! We're now basically exclusively breastfeeding, and about once every 24 hours she'll end up getting a total of 1.5 ounces of formula supplemented (if she looks like she's absolutely starving). I am still taking fenugreek, Domperidone, eating oatmeal and lactation cookies, and drinking Mother's Milk tea. I also will occasionally pump after a few sessions each day, so I'm hoping I'll still see a little boost in production as things progress--I'd like to be able to build up a little bit of a stash eventually!

We're officially over a month old, and heading into the first Wonder Week leap, so we'll see if that holds any merit! DH was gone all week and just got back last night; the week went well without him! Last night was easily our best night we've had yet, she got up to eat at 8:00pm (went right down to sleep), 12:00 (I got a full three hour block of sleep, and she went right down after this feeding, too!), and 3:00 (went right down to sleep)! We were up for the day at 6:00, but it was worth it!

She does seem to have a "witching hour(s)" around 4:30-6:30 every night. It's nice to know it's coming, but it's brutal in the throes of it! There is NOTHING that can make her happy, but all of a sudden, she'll just pass out! Silly baby.

She's been napping all day today, which is a little worrisome as I hope it doesn't mean she'll be up all night. Aaaanyway, things are going awesome, I can't believe she's over a month already...I was looking at a 1 week picture in comparison, and it's just insane how much she's changed already! Make it stop!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee