Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2013 Babies

1. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@ms.janedoe: Yay that's amazing!! So glad that breastfeeding has gotten so much better for you! We have had a pretty easy go with it so far, except we're using nipple shields, but I don't really mind them.

And I know what you mean about them changing so much. Nathan's head was huge at birth (15.5 inches!) but it seems much smaller and he looks a lot different now at 3 weeks! Heres a comparison- the towel picture was yesterday!

2. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@anbanan15: Oh no! I really hope she's just getting too full! I know that would be scary.

3. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@lilteacherbee: @ms.janedoe: They do change super fast! Glad things are going well!

@lilteacherbee: I really think that is it. I have a massive oversupply again (I have close 100 oz saved already and i'r only been pumping 1-2x/day for about a week) so I know sometimes when she nurses she gets too much too fast.

4. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

Hi November mamas and babies!

I have been pretty silent because I've been working through a bajillions things. Who isn't though, right?

I needed to give myself some time and space before I posted because I just felt like it was one thing after another.
    - Difficulty with breastfeeding
    - Breaking down in tears
    - Receiving notice of JURY DUTY!!! (I deferred until the spring, but WHAT?!)
    - Lack of sleep
    - Dealing with residual stress from the renovation
    - Missing my husband like crazy during week 1 of his return to work
    - Wondering if I will make it through the first month with a newborn...

Tomorrow he will be 1 month old. And even as I write out those low points of the past few weeks it feels silly.

Here are the high points:
    - The support of my husband
    - The support of my mom and dad and sister
    - The walks that I have taken
    - Putting him in the Ergo without any assistance
    - Heavenly showers...our new bathroom is amazing
    - The trip that I took to Target with Elliott
    - The little smiles I see after a feeding...

This newborn phase is HARD! I have my 1 month appointment next week because of a delay in our hep B shots for Elliott. So I'm going to work hard this week to continue plumping him up. I wish I could weigh him now - but I'm just trying to trust that he is eating, and obliterating diapers and sleepsacks - so he MUST be growing. And now that I give him about 40 minutes total on the boobs, he seems pretty satisfied.

But oh...my nips. My poor, poor nips. I'm looking forward to "my Brest Friend" arriving in the mail this week. My boppy was a hand me down and I think it's lost some of it's oompf. And my little guy is ALL over the place during feedings. I just need him to be able to get into position easier. And not rotate on my nipple. I will just say, for a while, I was screaming and stomping on the floor with every latch on righty. SERIOUS pain. But then after a while it felt like it was mental. Like I was just scared of the pain I HAD felt.

Every day I learn something new. Today is a good day. And I can't believe he will be 1 month old tomorrow.

5. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

I'll try to respond to everyone more soon - just wanted to share what's new with me and Elliott! I continue to follow along everyday and think of you all

6. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

I'm still alive...just reading while I feed J. I hate responding on my phone, but I am happy to see you all doing well! Peds appt tomorrow, so we shall see how much he has grown!

7. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@sweetooth: dude, despite the lame-ass name, the my Brest Friend pillow is awesome. I have a Boppy and a Gia and I don't use either. It sucks trying to get strapped in each time, but positioning is a million times better. Congrats on one month!!

We're 5 weeks on Weds. Crazy. It's been a few days with ZERO supplementation...awesome, but a little scary!! She's still alive, so that's a plus! ;). DH is gone again this week, which is again going fine, but were in our first wonder week leap...and you can tell!! We had a rough night last night but so far (knock on wood) were doing better tonight. We had our first smile this weekend, which was so fun!! She's seeming to like baths more, which is also good! She fits well into Carter's 3 month, and all of her NB is packed away. not much else--time to switch sides and hope she'll go to sleep! Wish me luck!!

8. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

Ahhhh.... Ladies the six week growth spurt is no joke. I feel like he's nursing twice as long. One day he naps great and then today he's been awake for 7 hours. Omg. I hope welcome out to rainbows and happiness on the other side!

9. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

@ms.janedoe: I'm wondering if we either didn't experience the five week wonder week or if its part of this six week growth spurt drama we are going through.

10. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

Caroline will be a month old on FRIDAY! it's insane how quick this is going!

She's still not latching on (she almost does what breastfed babies sometimes do with the bottle nipples the first time now....) so we're exclusively bottle feeding-- and almost exclusively formula fed now with a few ounces of pumped milk that I'm still getting in there... but she's eating and growing so I'm telling myself that's all that truly matters... it's not ideal but it's life I guess?

I can't wait to see how much she weighs on Monday- to me she still looks like my tiny little girl but everyone else said she's getting so big- hubby bets she's 8lbs now if not a little over (she was 6lb 8 at birth and had gained that back by her first week apt) she still fits in newborn but they aren't quite as big on her as they were at birth...

I kind of get teary when I think about how she's growing so fast... is that weird?

She ate 3.5 ounces tonight at this last feeding without spitting up-- and then after about half an hour or so of fussing, she passed out cold- and has been sleeping since about 10:00-- though sleeping long stretches is still hit or miss, I'm hoping it's getting better!

11. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

also looking up wonder weeks... I don't know what that is!

12. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. Pink: Nathan will be one month on Saturday! It is crazy how fast they grow. He's out of newborn stuff now (he was almost 9 lbs at birth), but most 0-3 month stuff is still big.

I think it's normal to be a bit sad. I wasn't just a little sad though, I was full on crying multiple times a day because of the anxiety I had that he would be a teenager, like tomorrow. That's when I knew I needed some meds to keep me in check

@Mrs. J: it's nice to hear from you!

13. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@lilteacherbee: yeah... I cried multiple times a day the first 2 weeks, it's evened out a bit now, but I still do cry from time to time-- when she's especially cute... when she's having a moment and nothing will calm her down.... you know, the usual...

I was previously on anti-depressant/anxiety meds before I got pregnant and went off them cold turkey when I got my BFP- so I know it's only a matter of time before I need to be back on them!

This very well could be our only baby- hubby doesn't want to actively TTC another-- and he had so much trouble getting pregnant with Caroline + the hard labor-- he wants to pursue foster care and adoption instead if/when we decide we want another

14. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@ms.janedoe: the smiles make up for everything don't they? Caroline's first awake smiles made me cry those weird happy tears LOL but then again, so did the first sleep smiles too...

15. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@sweetooth: jury duty? WTF? seems like those come at the stupidest times!

IKWYM about being afraid of the pain you had felt before and expecting it to come again-- when I was still able to get Caroline to the breast sometimes I'd get really anxious about it and she'd latch without a problem and nurse for a few minutes without any pain or problems-- then the next time BAM excruciating pain-- and the fear would strike again the next time I went to put her on

16. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

A couple days early but she was in a good mood so I went for it! She'll be a month old Friday and we'll know her updated height/weight on Monday!

A big "almost laughing" smile and a serious face!

17. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. Pink: That hair!!! Oh my gosh, she's adorable! Happy one month Caroline

18. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@lilteacherbee: thank you!!! Nathan is adorable too!

19. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

J is now 9lbs 9oz and 21.25 in long. His head is in the 90th percentile. Einstein?
    @Mrs. Pink: Happy 1 month, beautiful Caroline!

20. mrsmacandcheese

blogger / clementine / 985 posts

As usual, I'm super behind! Finally checking in for the first time in awhile and I'm loving seeing everyone's babies.

Baby M was born just after midnight on November 21 (due on the 9th), weighing 8 lbs 12 oz and 21.5" in length (I think... it's a bit fuzzy, haha). We ended up with an unplanned c-section after 60 hours of labour. She was face up and got her head stuck, so we stalled out around 8 cm after augmenting with pitocin when I couldn't progress from 'a stretchy 7.'

I'm struggling with some sadness about having the surgery, although I'm glad that she made it out safely and healthy. I read that pitocin can basically slam an OP baby into their unfavourable position even further, thus dooming them to get stuck, and I wonder what would have happened had we been able to keep labouring past 7 cm -- would she have turned?

But, then again, by the time the doctor offered the C, I was EXHAUSTED. I had a fentanyl drip shortly after they started with the pitocin and I was falling asleep for split seconds between contractions. I had horrible pain, and experienced bad back labour the whole way through, and even the two morphine shots I had didn't take it away, completely. So I wonder if I would have been too tired to push, anyway.

On the upside we had skin-to-skin in the OR, and in the recovery room, and we actually nursed in the OR! The anesthesiologist had his mind blown by that -- he kept saying that he had never seen anyone nursing in the OR, ever. I wrote a thank you letter to the hospital after her birth because even though it was the total opposite of what we wanted, the staff was amazing and treated us really well, and now one of the admin wants to tell our story as part of a presentation on the skin-to-skin post-cesarean policies, at a conference this spring, so maybe more women will get that experience.

M is a pretty chill, predictable baby, and she sleeps well. She's actually had two 8-hour stretches at night, which is insane. She seems to be nursing well and gaining weight, although one of my nipples is getting sore so I'm paranoid about thrush. Her next appointment with the nurse practitioner is Monday.

Recovery has been rough, because it's hard for me to deal with taking it easy -- I want to clean my dang house. And, Mr. D has been back at work since 2 days after her birth. He was supposed to be able to flex time and work from home but got reprimanded for spending too much time at home within a few days of his return (which is pretty infuriating -- he worked so much overtime the weekend before her birth that he only used up 7 hours of overtime that week, despite being with me for a few days).

Overall we're doing fairly well and we're all getting used to one another! I'm feeling kind of isolated -- not many local friends with kids, and our other friends are younger and not really interested in hanging out, now, it seems, but I'm looking forward to it being not winter anymore (feels like -38C today... ugh) and getting my lifting/exercise restrictions out of the way so I can take her out and meet some real life mom friends!

21. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

Ahhhhhhhhh, I want to update so badly but I feel like I'm so behind and have so much to say!

@MrsDragon: I ended up with an unplanned c section as well (for a few reasons). I hope you start feeling better. I'm jealous of the skin to skin you got in the or... I didn't see my man for about 2hrs after delivery.

We've been home for a week now (after our 10 day hospital stay) and we're adjusting well. We started cloth yesterday and I HATE IT! Anyone want to buy some dipes?

Breastfeeding is going well - they started me on a shield (even though I don't need it) and now it's hard to get him off of it.

Nothing went as planned and I'm okay with some of it (like the cs) but not getting skin to skin bothers me. It is what it is, I know.

Sorry I'm so behind! I love being a mommy!

22. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

Name: Cash
    Sex: Little man!
    Due date: November 21st
    Birth date: November 28th - Thanksgiving!
    Length: 21"
    Weight: 9lbs 8oz

I'm still in shock I have a little boy! There's nothing better!

23. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

Anyone else having sock trouble? With DS 0-3 mo socks always fit and stayed on fine, but our little girl has freakishly small feet for her size....we compared her footprint at birth to my friends 3 lbers at birth and they had the same size footprint, which is just crazy to me! We've resorted to preemie socks and they are working so much better!

@Ash: oh no! Why do you hate cloth?! We've are still using a mix of cloth and sposies in part because we only have so many NB diapers and she hates any amount of wetness so we fly through that stash and I can't get a good, non-leaking fit on her even in NB diapers so using them at night is out right now.

I hope your still planning on sharing your birth story when you get a chance. I'm actually really interested to hear it! I'm glad you are all home now and adjusting well!

@Mrs. Pink: Love the hair!

@MrsDragon: So cute!

24. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@anbanan15: yes on the sock trouble and mittens... thankfully we don't take her anywhere really and when we do she's always in a footed sleeper! I'm trying to see if I can shrink all the socks and mittens by washing them in SUPER hot water and drying them on super high!

Also- thanks!! She has super crazy hair when it's first washed and dried out- I hope that means it'll be curly like mine was as a baby!

25. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@MrsDragon: I'm so sorry that your labor was so awful- I was in labor for something like 54 hours before they went for the emergency c-section-- it was defiantly not what I had hoped for-- though looking back now, I'm glad I didn't have to go through the pushing etc. because I'm pretty sure I would have been to exhausted to do it. My epidural worked wonders- I felt a little pressure and some discomfort but once they told me I could keep pushing the button every 10 minutes it was much better... I can't imagine what it would have been like if it didn't work-- did you only have the morphine or did you get an epidural too?

Also- she is beautiful! I love her name!!!

Side note: so many c sections this month!!!

26. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@Mrs. Pink: We don't use mittens, but I wasn't successful at shrinking the socks We use footed sleepers mostly, but gowns with socks at night. We got some 5-9 lb socks at gymboree, but only about half the styles stay on so we ordered some preemie socks. The one brand (kushies) is supposed to fit preemie but also stretch to 0-3 mo, so we should get some use out of them.

Btw I was just thinking the same thing! So many c-sections! I wonder what the ratio to vaginal births really was in this group.

27. mrsmacandcheese

blogger / clementine / 985 posts

@Ash: it's a relatively new policy at our hospital - when I read about it I didn't think it'd end up applying to me but I'm glad it was implemented. I'm sorry you had a delay.

@Mrs. Pink: I went in at 5cm and was admitted and given a shot of Demerol because I had only had 2 hours of sleep and couldn't rest thanks to back labour. Slept on and off that night, then I had a morphine shot later that day after progressing to 6 cm with a lot of walking. I had one more morphine shot after that and it seemed to coincide with stalling out. Then I had the fetanyl drip maybe 15 or 20 minutes after they started pit, and I kept requesting it to be refilled as soon as it ran out because that was suuuuuper painful! No epidural/spinal until I was in the OR. But we wanted a drug free birth so it all went sideways pretty early.

28. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@MrsDragon: @Ash: I wonder if the skin-to-skin in the OR is a CA thing and it hasn't been introduced/implemented in the US yet? So awesome you got to do that and get to share your story to other expecting mom's.

29. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@anbanan15: DS has been wearing size 1s since he was born - little ham! I'm using kissaluvs and the gmd fitteds and I'm just not digging how wet they make him. I'm gonna sell my newborn stash (all brand new, only prepped) and see how the bgs go once he's big enough.

We had a huge amount of c sections in this group! And I was so anti cs that I ended up with one!

I wonder if the skin to skin in in OR is a Canada thing. I've never seen it done here. I didn't feel like I gave birth honestly because of not being able to see him or hold him for 2hrs. I feel like I missed out.

30. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@anbanan15: I'm a cheapie, bought socks at wal-mart, they say 0-3 months but I'm not buying that LOL

The gloves I bought are Kushies and they seem to have shrunk-- I'm trying to use gloves because I'm still afraid to cut her nails and they're not quite long enough to do the "biting" trick that my mom did with us...

31. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@Ash: yeah, they let hubby bring my girl over to me and show her to me but she was all bundled up. She pretty much SCREAMED bloody murder from the moment she came out until I got back to the room after they got me stitched back up-- they were getting ready to have hubby do skin to skin with her when I got rolled in, but weirdly she stopped screaming as soon as I got in so they gave her to me instead

32. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@anbanan15: J has preemie socks too!
    @MrsDragon: she is gorgeous!

33. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Ash: We had some big boys!! I wonder how much Nathan weighs now (at 2.5 weeks, he was 9lb 4oz). I'm interested to hear your story too! How are you feeling now? At 4 weeks out, my incision is finally healed and I'm super happy about that. My doc had me on antibiotics (I was really nervous about thrush while taking them) and I was putting honey on it haha. That was fun for DH to do

@MrsDragon: she's so precious!!!

34. FarmWifeGina

pear / 1571 posts

@sweetooth: OMG, I am still feeling this pain. It's a little better now, but sometimes those first 30 seconds or so just make me wanna scream and cry and curse and sometimes I do. And it's not even that she has a horrible latch or anything and the actual skin on my nips is fine, but it hurts on the inside. Oy, anyways.
    The last 2 weeks feel like years, but have also gone by so fast, it's crazy surreal! I'm feeling great, other than sleep-deprived, but nursing isn't going so hot. Which we knew would more than likely be the case, but it's kinda disappointing because I'm pretty sure I have the best supply I've ever had and maybe if I'd had another 7 pounder I might actually have enough to exclusively nurse. But as it is, we're having to supplement about 5 oz. of donor milk to keep anywhere near to the proper diaper output, and she's not losing weight, but she hasn't regained her birth weight yet so, meh. We nurse constantly at home, but we have to leave the house sometimes, and sometimes the older kids need their mommy, and we still have my SIL here helping out- I have no idea how I'm going to maintain the supply I have after she leaves. Lame, but oh well.
    So glad it sounds like everyone else is doing pretty well!

35. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@FarmWifeGina: I feel so overwhelmed sometimes, I can't imagine doing it and also having 2 other kids! I hope nursing gets a bit better for you soon!!

36. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

Oh, and Nathan turned one month today!

37. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@Ash: We hated fitted for that same reason! Their entire bum (and diaper inside and out) is soaking in urine until you change it..I didn't realize that until we briefly used them. Fitteds are all the rage and I just don't get it

@Mrs. Pink: Are you trying to use a nail clippers or nail scissors? I still use the scissors on DS I've been biting the babies off though. Oh and not the same kind of mittens but I did get her a hat and mitten set at BRU by Koala baby and surprisingly they stay on really well!

@Mrs. J: All little baby feet! Did you have to order them online?

@lilteacherbee: One month already! I can't believe DD is already 3 weeks!

38. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

I love following along, I need to get better about commenting back! It's so great to hear everyone is doing so well! @ash: we never even touched the GMD prefolds I got for the newborn days... I think I'll just sell that stash. I feel kind of guilty but the Pampers have been so freaking simple. It IS frustrating to burn through 3 in a single diaper change when LO decides she wants to poot again... I'm going to give the BGs a shot in the next few weeks, here's hoping those go a little better!!

Do you guys find your little ones making dirty farts constantly? They're not big enough to call poops, but it's enough that it definitely warrants a diaper change.

Popping into the convo you guys were having earlier, I was able to have skin to skin in the OR as they were stitching me up. They initially brought her over all bundled, and I asked if we could do it, and they just helped unbundle her!

All is going well here! We've exclusively breastfeed for about a week or two now, which is so effing crazy. I NEVER would have thought we'd get here. Don't get me wrong, I'm still paranoid she isn't getting enough and I want to set up a weight check for next week, but she seems happy, and diaper output seems good! We're struggling a little as at one or two feeds a day she'll just be freaking out at the breast--latching and unlatching, pulling, flailing, fussing, etc. I thiiiink it's slow flow as it's usually if she's just recently eaten, but man does it suck!

We went and saw Santa today, which was uneventful; we went out to lunch after. She slept through the whole thing! We had a rough night or two of sleep, but I'm chalking it up to the 5 week Wonder Week and 6 week growth spurt--she'll be 6 weeks in Wednesday, what?! DH has been gone M-F and it's been going surprisingly well. Granted most days I call it a success if I can poop in peace, but we've seemed to find a little routine!

I've been feeling great, I have my 6 week appointment on Minday. I refuse to go on anything that might impact my supply, so we might just resort to a lazy charting method and cross out fingers. Responsible, eh?

39. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

Oh, and we rarely do socks. I basically have her live in Sleep n Plays. Haahhaa. Oops. I clip her nails at least twice a week. They grow so freaking fast and a freakishly razor sharp. She doesn't really scratch herself much, but when she's freaking out at the breast, I come out just scratched to holy hell.

@FarmWifeGina: @anbanan15: Dude, you both are saints for doing it with other kids at home!! I've always wanted two kids, but am already panicking at the thought of parenting another with a newborn!

@FarmWifeGina: I hope nursing gets easier for you!!

40. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@lilteacherbee: I must've fat fingered his birth weight - he was 9lb7oz at birth but yes, we had big boys! We were definitely all baby and there was no way my little man was coming out vaginally.
    Lol @ dh and the honey. Mine would've wanted to be putting it elsewhere!
    Love Nathan's one month - He's adorable!

@FarmWifeGina: glad to hear you're doing well! Hopefully nursing gets less painful. You're doing a great job!

@anbanan15: Oh my, I'm so glad you said that about the fitteds. I had no idea it'd be that way and I felt guilty for not liking them. So you're saying I'll like the bgs better right? Right now we're using a mix of honest dipes and 7th generation - no blow outs or leaks in either like we did with the pampers in the hospital.

@ms.janedoe: I'm glad I'm not alone! Sposies are really really nice compared to the fitteds. You're not missing out!
    As for dirty farts, I have a little boy who farts and poos constantly - really loudly... and sometimes it's just a teeny skidmark shart. It cracks me up!
    I was having that flailing/screaming trouble too but lately things have gotten better. I think it was usually if I pumped and then he decided he wanted to nurse. I've gotten his system down though.
    Glad nursing is going well for you overall!
    Love the pic! We thought about going to see Santa but we're not sure if we wanna risk the germs since ds was in the hospital for 10 days already.
    As for birth control, we're gonna do condoms which doesn't sound like fun but I refuse to do bc of any other sort. I also don't wanna get pregnant too quickly after having my uterus sliced open!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee