Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2013 Babies

1. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@Ash: I think so! When we used fitteds I hated how when we went to unsnap them even that area was wet! It wasn't that I thought touching the wetness was gross for me, it was that I felt that with every inch of the diaper being wet that wetness was touching areas and saturating his skin in places that it shouldn't (ie his tummy etc). I find that with pockets, AIO and A12, the wetness, both with stay dry and organic inners, stays where it should, in the wet zone. I'm not sure if that makes sense now, but I think onces you try them you'll see a difference and hopefully love them.

@ms.janedoe: So cute! If you had another you would figure out how to make it work. Our little girl is still so easy going it's like she's not here and big brother is 1,000x more demanding.

2. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@anbanan15: We're gonna give them a shot!

Eta: that's my exact issue. Wet. All. Over!

3. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@anbanan15: @ash: I'm having the same issue with my fitteds :(. I decided to go with them so that they'd contain the poop, but the wetness all over makes me feel bad about putting them on him. And now he's got some diaper rash, right where he get poopy, so we've got him in disposables and using triple paste.

We have some diapers that are just the inserts (Thirsties and a SoftBums), but then they don't contain the poop as well, so DH doesn't like them. IDK what we're going to do long term. Luckily Declan's still in NB diapers and we also have a couple packages of 1's.

@ms.janedoe: Yes, he's constantly "sharting".

As for us, things are going fairly well. I keep reading along but usually don't have 2 hands free to type! But D's sleeping in my lap and I can actually respond :).

We have our one month appointment on Wednesday, so we'll get to see how much he weighs then. I'm guessing 10 pounds max? He was 8lbs12oz at his first ped visit, but he's still in newborn clothes so he hasn't gotten too much bigger.

Breastfeeding is going ok. His latch is usually good, at least good enough that my nips don't get torn up. But occasionally he gets frustrated at trying to latch and ends up screaming and shaking his head, which is less than fun. I also have been committing the cardinal sin of bottle feeding and not pumping to keep up supply. I have a ton of milk, like all the time. And sometimes I just need a break. We probably breastfeed about 75% of the time and formula the rest.

Sleep is slowly getting better. He normally eats every 2.5 hours at night, but last night he gave me a 4 hour stretch for the first time, which was great. Daytime he naps on and off and we haven't had to try to put him down for a nap yet.

4. ChitownRo

clementine / 948 posts

I so enjoy reading along. I'm currently pumping and not holding Ollie so I can respond.

Ollie is eating tons. Like 30-32 oz per day of pumped milk. At first I was able to freeze extra but now I am just keeping up with him. I'm pumping pretty much 31 oz per day consistently. (Ollie wouldn't latch; I don't mind pumping.) he still needs to eat about every 2-3 hours but will occasionally go 4 hours overnight. On the weekends, my DH will take a night time wake up or two (since Ollie takes bottles, it works well). And my pumped milk supply does ok - I just pump extra volume when I wake up.

We have our one month peds appt this week. I'm excited to see how much he weighs. I'm guessing he gained 1.5 lbs in this past two weeks based on his intake and the way his NB clothing fits.

I'm enjoying being home w him but do feel very isolated and stuck inside given the freezing cold temperatures. This week should be better- so I'm hoping to take him out Xmas shopping and to see Santa

5. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@ChitownRo: We were lectures by every pedi we have see so far to not take the baby around people for the first 2 months (we will occasionally go to my parents who love like 5 min away). It's SO hard to stay inside as not take a quick trip to the store or something. I'm used to always running errands.

@ShootingStar: That's exactly how I felt about them. We had a large pocket stash, then I heard so any great things about fitted and wool that we decided to try them (mainly for nights). I jumped head in with purchasing a small stash of Goodmama (I didn't know any better and thought they were the best fitted) and hated them. Luckily they have a good resale value and I was able to get my money back and we went back to pockets. I love my CD's, but I learned my lesson on sticking with what works for us.

Maybe try some pockets or AIO's? OS or sized? We never had a problems with messes not being contained.

6. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@anbanan15: Hmm, I'm failing at that...we just got back from brunch at a restaurant (after seeing Santa and going to lunch yesterday)! For what it's worth, we aren't passing her to anyone, she only came out of her seat once...but yeah. We're also at my parents a few times a week, have had visitors, and have made 4 additional trips to the doctors office for lactation appts. Your doctor would not be happy! We should probably reign it in a little, but with DH gone so much, it's totally impractical for me to sit inside alone all day/night. I'd lose it.

I'm so hoping my BGs work out for us...I'm already worried as the convenience of the yellow/blue line on Pampers is so freaking great...and there's no additional laundry. :/. Time will tell!

7. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@ms.janedoe: I hear you. I would totally feel the same way if DH was away and would be at my parents even more (DH is off the entire time I'm on maternity leave because he saved his vacation plus holiday time to do so).

We kept DS in for 2 weeks but I didn't feel like doing anything after having him anyway and he was a spring baby. Their big thing was because flu season is just starting up. I'm just using it as an excuse to not have to deal with my grandparents seeing her for as long as possible and to get out of going there Christmas Eve (doctor said no stores, crowds, sick people, other children besides sibling, elderly). I don't have the energy to deal with that right now lol.

I actually had to stop at Target for saline right after her 11 day appointment and an elderly couple yelled at me for having her out shopping already. I was like the doctor sent me for medicine and I knew my husband wouldn't be able to find it so I'm running in for one thing! Butt out!

Not having the extra laundry is nice sometime, but I also hate going to buy more diapers, especially when I know I have a nice CD stash at home and the little yellow/blue line will go away when you eventually size up.

8. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@anbanan15: the line goes away?!?! Nooooo! Haaahhha, well, there goes the one fighting point I had for keeping Pampers around! ;). Seriously though, the cost is nuts. I think I'll try to get going on ditching the NB GMDs/covers as I can't see myself using them on our next baby, but in going to see if we can start this week with the BGs...

I can't believe someone said something to you!! Gah.

Brunch today went well, I nursed in the booth, which went ok, but we both need to get the hang of the stupid cover. Dumb. She's definitely overtired and I think was overstimulated so she's been a little fussy since we got back. She's balling ETA: NAPPING, not balling...haaahha in the carrier now (as I eat cookie dough out of the bowl...).

9. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

Excited for Caroline's Ped. appointment today! We'll get to see how much she weighs- I'm hoping this will help me get an idea of how much to feed her. We mostly feed her 2.5 ounces at a time and she eats every 2-3 hours during the day and a bit longer at night-- but sometimes she hits an hour and a half and starts going nuts- nothing but a bottle will calm her down-- so sometimes, like yesterday she eats 26 ounces in a day (more like a 12 lbs baby according to our chart) and some days she only eats 18 or 19 with out complaint (more like a 7lb baby).

We don't wake her up to eat and let her stop when she starts pushing the bottle away or falls asleep while eating (and she doesn't spit up) so I'm pretty sure we're not over feeding her.... but it'll be nice to know for sure.

I feel like if she was EBF with a good supply-- and she cluster fed like that and was able to move several ounces at a time it would be ok- so I'm not sure why it's different with formula, esp. on the Sensitive Tummy ones which are thinner and easier to digest?

10. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@ms.janedoe: the size 1 Pampers Swaddlers still have a line-- and *some* diapers have characters that appear when they wet them- I can't remember which ones they are though, but I thought they went up higher

I think having the line there has helped us teach our baby that she can't be wet for even a second LOL- literally as soon as she pees pretty much we get her changed-- we've almost gone through a 36 pack of diapers since 1:00 on Saturday and most of those were wet diapers with faint lines!

Random funny thing- if she is wet at feeding time and we haven't noticed yet, she WILL NOT even eat until we change her- she just pushes the bottle away, but once we change her she is GTG on eating LOL

11. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

Jack was 2 months old last week! He has his appointment today with the Pedi to see how much he weighs, I am going to guess around 12 pounds.
    I'm following along, but am not BF or CD so I don't have too much to add to the convo!

I'm dreading shots today...Jack was up all night last night.. He slept from 9-1:30, was wide awake from 1:30 to 3 and then woke up at 5. Soo, I got like 4 hours of sleep last night. Bleg. He hasn't done that since his NB days! I hope he does OK with the shots because I don't want to be up all night again!

12. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsTiz: I'm serious, your kid is stinkin' ADORABLE!! He looks so much like you can't wait to meet the little guy!!

13. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@ShootingStar: I'm glad I'm not alone! I kept thinking I was the only November mama hating cloth!

We only used pampers in the hospital but he leaked throb them so we use 7th generation and honest brand with no problems at all!

@anbanan15: we took ds out for his newborn photos but he wasn't around a crowd. My concern is Christmas. There are going to be 3 infants there that are in daycare and 4 girls in grade school which makes us so nervous. We don't wanna end up with a sick baby again! What would your pedi recommend? Lol!
    What weight would you recommend I start the BGs? We have plenty of sposies so I'm in no hurry. Maybe I'll post my newborn dipes in the classifieds. Such a bummer! But I'm glad you made me feel better.

@ms.janedoe: the dipes we use don't have a line - you get used to not having it cuz ds is always wet when we change him anyways! We'll have quite the newborn stash on here if you decide to sell on hb! I hope I like the bgs but I won't be sad if I don't.

@MrsTiz: Jack is so so cute! Look how big he is!

14. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@lilteacherbee: thank you DH just got an ocean kayak so we're going to be spending a lot more time at the beach
    @Ash: thanks! I can't wait to see his measurements, he was so little last time, 20th percentile for height and weight.

15. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@MrsTiz: Awe, let us know! They didn't tell us Cash's percentile but he was lga so I'm guessing he was high up there.
    P.S. I wanna go to the beach!

16. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@ms.janedoe: have you used your baby k'tan yet? Or whatever carrier you ended up getting? I'm afraid to whip mine out.

17. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@MrsTiz: so cute! Look at him sitting up! As I cannot beleive he is 2 months old already!

@Ash: I'm not sure what my pedi would say lol, but they did ask if DS went to daycare then said it was a good thing he didn't. I would probably consider not going (especially since he was in the NICU after birth), but honestly it would probably be just a thought and we would end up going anyway. I'm no help

We were using honest co and 7th gen sposies too after the hospital pampers BG's are supposed to start at 8 lbs and we started using them with DS at 3 weeks (he was 10 lb at 1 mo), so you might be able to use them now?

I'm giving up on my NB diapers and moving on to our bulky OS RaR's (start at 6 lbs). For some reason I can't get a tight enough fit on our NB around the legs and they all leak (we have ones similar to Lil Joey's and some CB XS). I even tried double stuffing them to make sure it wasn't an absorbency issue and they still gap and leak around the legs Our RaR on the smallest rise are working SOOOO much better. I do have a Ragababe NB and a Chelory MiniC that fit fine as well, but am super disappointed in the NB diapers overall.

18. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@anbanan15: well geez, my little chunk could've started them when he was born! I might wait to start them since my mom bought us 3 packs of size 1 7th gen dipes so we might as well use them up! I actually really like them. Maybe I'll test a bg out to see if I'll even like it before I sell my newborn stash. I had such big plans before he came along - things sure do change!
    All of your cloth talk makes me not want to give up on cds!

19. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@Ash: I did the same thing...waited until the sposies were used up before switching. I thinking testing them out before listing your NB stash is a smart idea I get so lazy when it ones to listing things for sale and prefer to do as much in one shot as possible. And yes plans change once they arrie don't they?

20. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@anbanan15: that's my way of thinking too!

Today is our first day home without dh. It's kind of relaxing! But we do miss him!

21. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@Ash: Come to NC and we'll make a trip up to go see @lilteacherbee: !

RE Carriers: I have a ring sling and a baby Bjorn and LO hates them both with a firey passion. I'm not good at the ring sling (and haven't spent much time practicing) but he for sure despises the Bjorn.

22. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@MrsTiz: very tempting! But this pp body won't be in a swim suit!

Maybe I'll break out the k'tan and see how he does. He likes laying on my chest for tummy time and he's really chill so he might enjoy it. But who knows.

23. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@Mrs. Pink: Hope it goes great!! Too funny about the wet diapers...little miss knows what she wants!

@MrsTiz: Too cute!! How crazy, 2 months already?! How are things going for you? Better?

@Ash: Dude, I'd better like the BGs, I seriously have one of EVERY color/pattern with the exception of one of the new patterns...ugh, what a mess to try to get rid of 'em all! I might give them a shot today! I tried the K'tan and Boba wrap a few weeks ago and didn't love them. Granted she was smaller than she is now. The Ergo though, I LOVE--it's a freaking lifesaver. We use it multiple times a day. So yeah, pretty sure the other two will be getting sold too!

24. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@ms.janedoe: if you try them, let me know how it goes.
    I'm glad you guys liked one of the carriers. Who knew so many of our buys would go by the wayside!

25. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@Ash: I just slapped an ugly green one on her...we'll see what happens!!! I know, theres so many things I bought that I haven't touched!! I don't regret it though, better to be safe in my eyes!

26. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

@ms.janedoe: I am LOVING My Brest Friend! My little guy still goes wild when it's time for feeding. Seriously, I have to tell him "You'll get nowhere by just yelling at my boob!" But now that I moved to the MBF pillow instead of the Boppy he is in a much better position to just chill out and keep his eye on the prize

Congrats on getting to a zero supplementation phase! And please do share how you managed to get a little one that enjoys baths. Bathing Elliott is SUCH a challenge right now. And I'm afraid he's starting to smell like a little stinky foot in his cracks and creases!

@Mrs. Pink: Your little girl is ADORABLE! I swear, I could not stop looking at her when you posted those photos. I even showed Elliott and he told me he had a crush on her. It was her smile that won him over And yes, bottle or breast - as long as your baby girl is growing big and strong, that's all that matters.

Thanks for sympathizing with the agony of the initial sting of BF. I think it took some time to learn my pain threshold. And yes, jury duty right now...I can't even imagine. And I'm not looking forward to it in the springtime either. BUT - at least I'll get paid for it then.

27. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

I'll continue to catch up soon - just wanted to share some great news from E's 1 month appt today. He turned 1 month last week, on the 12th (my ninny sleep-deprived brain was all "he's 1 month on the 4th Tuesday! And my mom was like - no, he was born on 11.12, so he'll be 1 month on 12.12. And we actually disagreed until I got some sleep and came to my senses) His 1 month appt was delayed because we were a few days delayed in getting his Hep B shots. Anywho...

My little guy was 6lb 6oz when he was born - right around 38 weeks. And today...drumroll... 7lb 12 oz!!! Yay!!! This made me so proud and happy because breastfeeding is KICKING my ass. And this weight gain is right on track. We're both working super hard and today, we were rewarded. Go baby and go BOOBS! Yes, I'm cheering for my boobs. They totally deserve it.

28. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

And for those of you that are having a rough day Take a look at Elliott the hummingbird!

Do not worry - he was only left unsupported for a millisecond and this is the best I got for his 1 month picture Maybe I'll be as lucky as @MrsTiz is with adorable little Jack on month 2.

29. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@sweetooth: awww thanks! Elliott is a cutie too- maybe we should all start arranging the marriage of our children? Or is it too soon? I have so many photos of Caroline where she's moving her arms and it looks all blurry like that too! I pretty much had to sit there and take 100 photos to get 5 that looked like she was enjoying herself! Also yay for BF going well! Caroline was just a few ounces more when she was born and has gained similarly and she's fully formula fed now- so it sounds like you're doing awesome on just BM- since usually BF babies weigh a little less according to the Doc.

Our ped. appt went great- she gained 27oz in 27 days which is good- she weighs 8lbs 3oz and 19 3/4 inches long-- based on what they wrote down she is in the 15th percentile for weight and 2nd percentile for height... that seems sort of low to me, but her height and weight numbers themselves make sense so I'm thinking I might be misunderstanding the percentiles they wrote?

He also said we should feed her until she's not hungry and when she's hungry without worrying about "rules" so long as: it's not more then 3-4 hours since she ate last, we let her stop eating when she pushes away the bottle and is actually acting hungry when we decide to feed- so I'm not going to worry unless she starts having spit up issues

30. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@sweetooth: as far as baths-- we've been pretty lucky, she really likes them- our baby tub was given to us and didn't come with a newborn insert so I put a towel in it to keep her from sliding around- I get the towel wet with warm water and then put it in so it doesn't float- and keeps her back warm since we don't fill the tub to much- the first time we gave her a bath I filled it to much and when we put her in her legs were floating until I let some out!

I also turn on a space heater in the bathroom for about 20 minutes before hand so it's super warm in there and use pretty warm (as warm as we can with safety in mind LOL)-- and I talk in my cutesy "mommy" voice and sing to her.... this morning she was all smiles about it- but I I keep them to just long enough to get her clean- so I'm not sure if it's luck or just stealth?

31. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@MrsTiz: he is too cute- and sitting up SO well! I'm not looking forward to shots next month... yuck. I hope he forgets them quick!

32. ChitownRo

clementine / 948 posts

@sweetooth: wow, great weight gain!! our one month appt is on friday - i'm anxious to see what LO weighs. he looks like a chunker and is eating sooo much

33. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsTiz: Yay!!!! I may be going up your way soon too!

@Ash: They told us that Nathan was in the 82nd percentile for weight and 96th percentile for head circumference when he was born! Yikes, pretty sure that head would not have come out vaginally seeing as how he had to be vacuumed out during the c-section.

@sweetooth: oh my gosh, cutest hummingbird I've ever seen!! And kudos on the weight gain, that's awesome

34. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

I'm kinda jealous of y'all's one month appointments! We had one a couple days after we got out of the hospital, one at 2 weeks old, and not another until 2 months. I may call and see if I can take him in for a quick weight check because I'm curious!

35. sarah.clarisse

apricot / 360 posts

Hi ladies. I'm following along but haven't been good about posting. Here is my quick thoughts on cloth diapering and how it's going... We rented AIO newborns and S outgrew them about ten days after we started. So that was a waste of money. I wasn't as excited by them as I thought I'd be but DH is so he actually finished purchasing our BG4.0 stash so we could continue. I avoided it until yesterday! But we are going to give it a go. Right now I am frustrated with how HUGE they are on S. he's at least 12 pounds already and I feel like his little legs can't move as freely with the CD on. I'm going to see how I feel at the end of maternity leave next month and decide what to do then.

36. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@sweetooth: look how cute! Way to go Elliott and mama!

@lilteacherbee: Hmmm, now I'm interested in knowing. Maybe I'll look it up! C's head was 36cm - ouch! They told me there was no way he would've came out vaginally. Big boys!

37. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

Aaaaaand here's some squishy newborn photos we got back!

38. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@sarah.clarisse: that's how I felt about the legs.

39. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@lilteacherbee: soooooo jealous you got sleepy baby pics! Ds was awake for every picture! Even ones I did myself! I love yours - so cute!

40. Mrs. Pink

GOLD / kiwi / 605 posts

@lilteacherbee: I know our hospital does weight checks for nursing moms- you take them in and they weigh them before and after nursing- so you could try asking if they do that- phrase it as though you're wondering how much he's getting, if they are hesitant... you could also try that on your ped

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee