Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@StrawberryBee: I haven't cut her hair at all. Her bangs are super long, but I usually braid them back or put her hair into 2 French braids. ( I give her the iPad and she sits still long enough.) she won't wear a headband or clips anymore. I straightened her hair one day and it was so cute!

We are doing a flower themed birthday party. We are going to have it at my moms as she has a nice yard and ours is super small. With family and friends the guest list got way to big, so I'm cutting ou se family. I'd rather invite her little friends then have all of our family. We will try and get together with them on a different day.

2. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@MrsB2012: I can only do a regular braid, and her hair isn't long enough for that. And anything I do she just pulls out . I managed to sneak some silly Lady Lovely Locks clips in her hair tonight (anyone? anyone? I'm old lol). To quote my husband, "I don't want to cause an explosion of 80's".

3. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@StrawberryBee: haha adorable! We haven't cut her hair yet. I'm scared of losing curls. She will let us do ponies and piggies now to keep the hair out of her eyes but it was a struggle at first!

4. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

Oh, I love it! I've missed you guys!

Crib or Bed? Crib, moving to a bed in July sometime
    Nap length? Usually around 2 hours
    Bed Time? We start at 7, but its usually between 7:30/8 when she falls asleep
    Favourite Food? Frozen fruit, ketchup, berries, pizza
    Favourite word/phrase? "I cuddle Mommy" or "Shoot!" when she stubs her toe
    Favourite movie? Horton Hears a Who
    Favourite outdoor item? Her water table
    Are baths fun? Not so much anymore. She likes to shower with us though.
    Favourite toy? Her Megabloks, or her baby brother doll Winston
    Haircut? Yep - she's had her bangs trimmed twice, and we just took her for a 'whole' haircut at a salon a few weeks ago. Its an adorable little bob now, not nearly as straggly and in her eyes anymore.

Birthday party: We're debating on just having an 'unthemed' family party, and having a Peppa Pig birthday party for her. My sister is getting married ON K's second birthday, so we'll be celebrating early. I'll also be about 36 weeks pregnant, so it probably won't be elaborate or exciting!

5. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

Oh I love reading all these updates! I've missed you all

Crib or Bed? Crib *knock on wood* she hasn't tried to climb out yet. So she'll be in it for awhile longer.
    Nap length? 2-2.5 hours.
    Bed Time? Sometime between 7 and 7:30.
    Favourite Food? Bananas, pancakes, edamame, broccoli. Oh and she's a total chocoholic like her mama!
    Favourite word/phrase? She says "ok!" after everything. "Want to go take a bath?" "Ok!" She also always says "Oh dear!" when she drops food or spills something. I'm assuming one of her daycare teachers says this??
    Favourite movie? She hasn't watched any yet but she loves Bubble Guppies and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
    Favourite outdoor item? Her little inflatable pool.
    Are baths fun? Yes! She loves bath time.
    Favourite toy? Kitchen.

Haircut? Not yet. She has lots of hair but I worry about the maintenance involved with bangs (I do not have the skills to trim them myself). She does well with clips and ponytails, though.

Birthday party? We're doing a Minnie Mouse themed gymnastics party and inviting her daycare class and some other family friends.

6. skipper2010

kiwi / 597 posts

So great to read all these updates! Hard to believe it's almost been two years!

Crib or Bed? Crib! He hasn't tried to bust out of it yet!
    Nap length? 1-1.5 hours. So jealous of all you that get 2+hour naps! lol
    Bed Time? Sometime between 8 and 8:30. It used to be earlier, but he fights it so 8-8:30 it is!
    Favourite Food? Berries, bananas, muffins, and pasta.
    Favourite word/phrase? "YES". Which is a lot better than no! haha
    Favourite movie? Nemo. I was trying to stick with minimal screen time before two, but it was a loooong winter! haha
    Favourite outdoor item? His water table. Hands down!
    Are baths fun? Yes! He loves tubby time!
    Favourite toy? He loves his trains and legos

Haven't really thought about his Birthday party yet. Probably trucks or trains or something boyish and fun...and easy. Haha! I went all out for his first bday, but planning on keeping it more simple this time around.

Currently 18 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and let me tell you it FLIES the second time around! A little nervous about juggling a baby and a very active toddler, but so excited for another little one!

7. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@Mrs D: "bye bye poo poo" - hahaha! That's so cute!!

@Mrs Hedgehog: Oh man, I'm still waiting for DS to say I love you. I know I will just die when he does!!

@StrawberryBee: I love how excited she is in that picture! Makes me want to say YEA! right back at her. lol

As for first haircut, DS already had a handful of haircuts! His hair gets long fast. His first trim was when he was about 6 months old and his first official haircut was around 9 months, maybe?

For 2nd bday, we're doing a close friends and family gathering. It'll still equate to a fairly large crowd, but no where near the 100+ we had last year. I'm so behind on planning because it's in 2 weeks(!!!!) and I have nothing planned. Ahhhh!!!!

@Mrs. Oatmeal: "Shoot!" when she stubs her toe?! Get out of here!! How flipping cute!!!!! DS comes to be and goes "owie" then shows me what hurts so I can kiss it. Then he smiles and goes back to what he's doing. And "I cuddle mommy"? cue melty heart. That's just so sweet!!

@lawbee11: oh dear! - hahaha! Such an elderly thing to say! I've introduced The Mickey Mouse clubhouse to C, but he's uninterested. I'm kinda sad because I'm like dude! It's DISNEY!!! How can you NOT like Disney?! lol

@skipper2010: Congratulations on #2!!!! And I agree yes is better than no. lol

8. Alivoo01

Apparently, I'm totally in love with all the cute lil sayings our LOs are verbalizing now days.

9. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Congratulations! DS was saying "shoot" for a while as a favorite, although he pronounced it so it sounded like a similar less savory word...

@skipper2010: Congratulations!

Those of you who have transitioned to a bed, do you lock your LO in their room? I feel like I will have to until at least around three, because his room is upstairs and ours is downstairs.

10. Alivoo01

@mdf106: "less savory word" hahahaha! Oops!

I keep DS's door cracked open so he can open and get out himself, but keep the gate closed leading to the stairs. We can hear him via the monitor or if he's loud, just hear him in general.

11. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@skipper2010: We tried to do minimal screen time too, but I gave up on it a few months ago. haha oh well, there are worse things.

@Alivoo01: I LOVE all the chatterboxes we have and love hearing what funny things they're all saying these days. L is such a copy cat and we can get him to say some pretty funny stuff (all escape me at the moment though, of course)!

@StrawberryBee: L has had a handful of haircuts since about 9 months(?) because his hair grows SO FAST. It's insane. haha

We aren't having a bday party. I'm having my mom and the IL's over for dinner. I've also invited one of our couple friends who have a little boy the same age, but that's it. We're in the middle of moving and packing and it's just too much work. I'm not a party planner. I'm thinking parties for 5, 10, 13, 16 & 18. lol

12. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@mdf106: someone else on here (HB) mentioned something called a door monkey I think. I found it on amazon - it makes it so they can neither open their door nor slam their fingers in a door. K's room is on the second floor and there is no way to gate off the stair case - so we will use these when we transition her this fall!

AFM - so K decided not to nap all weekend. WTF? She had a nasty cough that I think just kept her from being able to get comfortable.

13. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs D: could you put a gate on her door frame? I know a few moms who've tried this with success. L knows all too well what it's like to get your fingers slammed in a door, unfortunately. So, he's learned the hard way that you do not stick your fingers in the door crack.

14. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@.twist.: Yes, that will be plan B if I do not like these door monkey things!

15. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs D: My dad is the handyman. It's a blessing and a curse because he's so busy. So I think the playhouse won't be completed until the end of the summer when he has a free day again. But it has siding on one side and shingles on the roof. So, we're getting there!

@Alivoo01: When you transitioned your LO to a bed, did he roam his room at all? I think we have to use a floor bed for our next vacation because she's too long for a playpen. I'm wondering if she will stay put.

16. Alivoo01

@.twist.: We're having a birthday dinner, but DH's side of the family is large so we're still having close to 30 ppl. However, it's small compared to the over 100 ppl we had last year! OMG! I don't plan on doing another big bash till he's 5 either!

@Mrs D: Poor K! Hope she's all better now!

@Grace: Depending on his mood, yes. Otherwise, he's content just sitting on his bed and talking to himself. If he doesn't want to stay put, then we'll lay down on the bed with him and he'll stay put till he feels it's time to go to sleep. He just wants company sometimes.

17. Alivoo01

I've only told DH and my BFF, and I'm skeptical from telling anyone else since I don't plan to until much later given our loss a few months back, but you ladies are an exception.... I got a BFP this past Monday. My first appt isn't until beginning of Aug, but fingers crossed this one sticks and is healthy!!

18. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Alivoo01: oh, sticky baby dust to you!

19. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Alivoo01: OMG - so exciting! Super fingers crossed for you! Will you be a March Due Date?!?! Will we be month twins again?!

20. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@Alivoo01: Congratulations!

21. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Alivoo01: Oooh! Yea!! Congratulations!

22. Alivoo01

@StrawberryBee: @Mrs D: @mdf106: @Grace: Thank you ladies!

@Mrs D: I will be a March mommy! According to the online calculator, my EDD is March 21. I plan on joining that due date board if all goes well after my 1st appt. Hooray for month twins again! There's just something comforting having a familiar face around!

23. Alivoo01

Any of your LOs have spurts where their nighttime sleep just goes down the crap hole and resembles newborn phase???

DS normally STTN, but the past few nights, he's waking up numerous times asking for milk. When we give him milk, he shakes his head and pushes it away. I don't know what he wants! We end up picking him up and he calms right down, then we put him back down to sleep.

This has happened before, but not waking up like this. He'll have bad nighttime sleep a day or two then go back to STTN like nothing every happened. What gives?!

24. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Alivoo01: Well, my experience with the newborn phase is being up every 2 hrs, so thankfully that hasn't happened again. There have been spurts where she has some random wakings, but it's usually tied to travel or illness. Could your LO be getting his 2yo molars? Or maybe it's the 2 year sleep regression. Another thought- P asks for milk when she what she really wants is snuggles. Maybe your LO is having some separation anxiety.

25. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Alivoo01: K went through a major sleep regression around May (20 months). She usually goes down at 6:45pm and wakes around 615-645am. She is relatively comfortable in her crib - she sits and reads before going to sleep and after waking up (and I have caught her doing it in the middle of the night).

Late April/early May she was getting up every night around 1 or 2 for a baba...honestly I dont think she was hungry. DH and I have basically always entered her room with a baba unless it seemed urgent (i.e. screaming or puking) - so to be honest I think she got to the point where it was like "hey if I make some noise I'll get a nice warm bottle of milk".

I think she may have been growth spurting or cutting some teeth also. But finally I went in one night without the baba and she hasnt done it since...thankfully.

26. Alivoo01

@Grace: That's what DS was doing, he was waking up every 2-3 hours. It was a total nightmare. Fortunately, he resumed normal human sleeping hours again since saturday so fingers crossed we stay this way for a while!

27. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Alivoo01: Gross. How long did it last? Was is teeth or just a random thing?

28. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

@Alivoo01: Congratulations! That's really exciting - hope everything goes well for you!
    And yes, to the nighttime sleep. It only lasted a few weeks, but she was up ALL the time, and would only calm down if she came to sleep in our bed. I am so grateful that it seems to be over for now.

We're planning K's birthday party - she has requested chocolate cake (and that's all), so it pretty much gives me free reign.

I'm also 31 weeks pregnant, and starting to get pretty uncomfortable. Toddlers are rowdy! She'll start running, and its pretty comical watching me try to chase her. I'm seriously considering a harness backpack/leash thing, since she will only let DH carry her in the Tula, not me.

29. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

DS walks everywhere, or is occasionally carried. Only grandparents can push him in the stroller. Fortunately he is good about not running off.

I survived my first night away from DS, which is probably long overdue. I miss him, but am amazed by how much free time I have (and this is while working).

30. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: Like forever! haha Glad to hear he's sleeping well again.

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Do you know what you're having for #2? I can't wait to see them because you make such cuties!

@mdf106: We've pulled our stroller out a couple times recently and it felt sooo weird. L walks all over the place, or we use our wagon. He's pretty good about sticking near me too. We went to Vancouver for a wedding and were away a few nights from L. We missed him, but it was such a nice break!

31. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Alivoo01: We had really really bad sleep for a while. I'm not sure if it was because of having a baby around or just because it was a regression. At that point she was still getting a bottle ( she didn't need it, it was just a habit, but one I was too tired to try and break from. ) She started having mad tantrums when going to bed and she would throw the bottle out first thing. So we stopped giving her one. Since we stopped the bottle, she hasn't woken up once during the night. ( It's been about 2 months now.) Also, she was super hard to put down for a month or so, so we started taking a bit more time to get her ready, so she could have more one on one time and that really helped.
    Also congratulations, I hope things are still going well for you!

@Mrs. Oatmeal: 31 weeks already, that's so exciting! Are you still working?

It's B's birthday on Monday, I can't believe she's going to be 2! We are doing a party for her on Sunday, a flower theme. We were going to do an outdoor patio/pool party at my moms house, but it's supposed to pour now and be quite chilly that day. I'm super bummed that we had to change it to an indoor party at my place.

32. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@Alivoo01: congratulations! !!!! H&H uneventful 9 months!

33. HTownMom

kiwi / 558 posts

So been super busy with applying for jobs and looking to go back to work after being at home for 2 years with LO! Also, I'm looking for a job that is something totally different than what I did pre-baby, because I want to do something I love and have a passion for! I had an all day interview yesterday, which I think went well. I have a second phone interview on Monday morning as well for a different company, so it's been. a whirlwind these past weeks of getting my resume top notch and my doing all my research! It's been exciting but all scary to think if I do get an offer that will totally change our whole daily/nightly family dynamic!

So glad to read everyone's updates about their 2 yr olds and new babies! Here is our answers for C:

Crib or Bed? So we tried to get her out of our bed, like 4 months ago and had the smallest success but she would still wake up 4-6 times and night and we would have to go comfort her. Since I've been job searching, I've decided to let her back into bed and enjoy the snuggles while I can!
    Nap length? Some days 45min-1hr and others 2-3hrs!
    Bed Time? during the summer we have been pretty lax on bedtime, so between 8:30-9:30!
    Favourite Food? Chocolate, sausage kolaches, French fries, other junk food! She does eat good healthy food too!
    Favourite word/phrase? "More" and "Sorry", for no apparent reason!
    Favourite movie? No movies yet she is obsessed and will only watch Baby Boost Nursery Rhyme shows On Demand!
    Favourite outdoor item? Going to the pool this summer! She is forever a water baby!
    Are baths fun? she is more a shower girl with us but does like a big bath for splashing! Again all water is fun!
    Favourite toy? Any type of phone, her baby doll and stroller

We are still having sleep issues and eating issues. Also she is still hooked on her pacifier still and I think it's starting to curve her front upper teeth, which is worrisome. Also b/c she always has the paci in her mouth so she talks with it in there, so I think it might be impairing her speech development. We have her 2 yr checkup in two weeks, so I'll ask her ped. I think I just need reassurance that taking it away cold turkey is really going to improve her speech and development, cause it's going to be a $hit show when we do!

We aren't doing any 2 yr bday party for her, but my MIL is visiting for the week before her bday and then my mom comes the day after my MIL leaves and stays for the weekend. So it's going to be a mom overload! We did get her the kidkraft kitchen as her big gift, which I think she will really love!

34. Alivoo01

@.twist.: I spoke too soon. He's not sleeping well at all again. What gives man?! Sigh.

@MrsB2012: When we cut the bottle out at 18 months, he immediately started STTN also, but iono what's causing the recent regression. It's so frustrating. He'll sit there and yell and scream all night long. No bueno.

@BabyMats: Thanks! My 1st appt is in 2 weeks, hoping we see/hear positive news.

@HTownMom: Good luck with your job hunt and weaning the pacifier from her! She'll love the KidKraft kitchen!!

35. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Alivoo01: Do you limit the afternoon nap at all? I read something recently about long naps affecting night sleep at 2 years old. Now, can I find it? Of course not.
    Edit: found it!! http://www.babycenter.com/0_your-22-month-olds-behavior-nighttime-disturbances_1273360.bc?page=1

36. Alivoo01

@Grace: I'll talk to his daycare about it this afternoon during pick-up. The entire daycare goes down for a nap between 12:30pm and 2:30pm. Hope him napping too long this is the solution because omg, DH and I are barely sleeping. With me being newly pregnant, it's not helping! Ah!!

37. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Alivoo01: good luck!

38. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Alivoo01: yeah congrats!!!!

I'll be back to read through and post later!

39. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Alivoo01: What times does he go to bed and get up from bed? He's napping for 2 hours at daycare? I've read a lot that being over tired can make night time sleep very difficult. We went through a tough phase with B for a while, we started putting her to bed early and it helped a lot. ( She went to bed at 615/630.) It didn't work that well for us as Dh doesn't get home from work until 6 so he wasn't seeing her much. After she started sleeping better, we slowly got her bedtime back to 7-730 and she kept sleeping well.

40. Alivoo01

@MrsB2012: He goes to bed at 9pm and wakes up around 7:30am. There's no way DS will go to sleep at 6:30pm. We could drive for hours and he'd be wide awake. lol. How did you get your LO to sleep so early??

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee