Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@Alivoo01: I am using Suave kids shampoo and conditioner. I actually tried a few different ones to see if I can find one that did not bother his eyes when rinsing, but they all did. Then we started swimming regularly, and he does not mind anymore. I am not sure about the separate conditioner, I will probably use an adult one, because I have heard kids ones don't work well. I was happy with Johnson & Johnson tear free shampoo, so I will probably go back to that. I might end up cutting it short instead.

2. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs D: We should totally do a Who's Two update!

Crib or Bed?
    Nap length?
    Bed Time?
    Favourite Food?
    Favourite word/phrase?
    Favourite movie?
    Favourite outdoor item?
    Are baths fun?
    Favourite toy?

PHOTO!!!!

3. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

I'll start!

Crib or Bed? We're still in a crib, he loves it still so no point in switching yet. I think it'll be soon though.
    Nap length? Almost exactly 2 hours.
    Bed Time? 7pm, but we're thinking of extending it to 7:30 or 8pm because he is getting up at around 5:15am.
    Favourite Food? He still looooves avocados!
    Favourite word/phrase? NO. or "who dat?" when he wants to know a characters/persons name.
    Favourite movie? Cars!
    Favourite outdoor item? He is in love with his little pool.
    Are baths fun? Yes! We love baths most of the time. Especially with dinosaurs or bath crayons!
    Favourite toy? His tow mater truck from the cars movies.

PHOTO!!!! Helping me refinish a night stand.

4. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@.twist.: Fun!!

Crib or Bed? Bed
    Nap length? 2 hours, but can range from 1.5 to 3 hours
    Bed Time? 9pm
    Favourite Food? Seaweed, eggs, and mangoes
    Favourite word/phrase? mama or no/yea
    Favourite movie? Anything with lots of music so currently, Pitch Perfect
    Favourite outdoor item? Balls
    Are baths fun? Yes!
    Favourite toy? Tennis racket and balls

5. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: Oh my god he is so freakin' cute! How did your bed transition go? I'm so scared. Is it a single? toddler?

6. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

Crib or Bed? Crib
    Nap length? 1.5-3 hours, usually around 2 hours
    Bed Time? 8 pm, but I am thinking of shifting it until 8:15 to encourage sleeping later
    Favourite Food? bread, cereal, cheese. I am jealous of those healthier answers, DS would eat grains and dairy all day if he could.
    Favourite word/phrase? Outside, Mommy, No
    Favourite movie? N/A
    Favourite outdoor item? Our pool, especially with goggles.
    Are baths fun? Yes
    Favourite toy? Wooden blocks and mickey mouse phone

7. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Alivoo01: I've been using Treehouse shampoo/conditioner/bodywash. Not a fan, I'll have to try out the suave stuff next.

@Mrs D: No #2. We've been thinking maybe, perhaps we might think about it for later this year. Maybe.

Crib or Bed? Crib. Going to keep her trapped in there until 3 or when she starts climbing out.

Nap length? 1.5 hr at daycare. I wake her after 2 hr at home or else bedtime would be messed up. She would sleep 2.5 hr if I let her.

Bed Time? 8

Favourite Food? Raisins!

Favourite word/phrase? I'm not sure. Yeah/no, probably

Favourite movie? I'm one of those annoying parents who doesn't let her kid watch movies yet.

Favourite outdoor item? Lol - the stroller. Every day we come home from daycare and she asks for it. I'm not sure if it's the walks she likes or the playground that is usually at the end of the walk.

Are baths fun? Uhh, sort of. The bath part is fun. The hairwashing (specifically the lying down part) is NOT.

Favourite toy? Her shopping cart. She loves doing laps in the house with her stuffed puppy and other stuff she picks up.

I don't post pics of LO, but here is her playhouse finally being built! Hoping to have it done on Canada Day.

8. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: cute playhouse! I love that it isn't plastic.

9. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Alivoo01: re: potty training: not really, though I got this one for cheap on Amazon. She loves sitting in it because we allow her to watch the ipod (youtube videos of Elmo and Pooh), but she only peed in it once, and she gets stuck to it if she sits too long We're not pushing it right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Potty-White-Teal/dp/B00A0ID90A/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1435675807&sr=1-2&keywords=potty+seat

No particular plans to switch soaps, though I have used regular shampoo in her hair a few times.

@Mrs D: No #2 yet, we're still undecided! DH may be starting a job soon (he's been SAHD), and it wouldn't make sense with 2 in full time daycare.

So, our news: E has Lyme Disease. We noticed and pulled a deer tick off of her a few weeks ago, called the ped and they said to keep an eye on her for any unusual symptoms at the 2 week mark, and sure enough she got the bullseye rash (which apparently only 30% of people get). So that sucks a lot, but at least we caught it early. She's on 3 weeks of antibiotics. I feel like our backyard is the devil right now.

10. Alivoo01

@.twist.: Thanks! It's in a regular twin sized bed that converts to a king. We tried a toddler bed, but he just rolled right off of it. He's an intense and heavy roller. lol

@Grace: That play house is going to be awesome!!!

@StrawberryBee: Oh no!!!! Poor E!!! Glad y'all at least caught it early.

11. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: omg! Seriously? Poor girl. I also like that potty! We had a really cheap one but the base was so wide and L is so small that his poor little bum didn't even fit on the seat! LOL. L has been waking up dry so we've been putting him on the potty as soon as we get him up. He hasn't pee'd in it yet, but hopefully soon.We're not rushing it though, just trying to get him used to the idea of it all.

@Alivoo01: Oh yea, L is all over the place at night, it's one of the main reasons we haven't switched him yet, I think he'd just fall right out. LOL

12. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@StrawberryBee: I hope she feels better soon.

13. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

YES - @.twist.: - love this!!!

Crib or Bed? Crib, my boss just told me she has a toddler bed for me so my goal is to have her "big girl" room ready by September/October to start transitioning. Unless she starts climbing out before then!
    Nap length? 1.5-2 hours...every once in a while we get a random 3 hour nap.
    Bed Time? 7pm or all hell breaks loose
    Favourite Food? Banana's, Hamburger buns, berries, raisinettes
    Favourite word/phrase? Just starting to put two words together...currently "more cracker", "mama baba" - my water bottle, and "night night baba" take the cake
    Favourite movie? Not really in to movies yet but like Sofia and Doc, loves this thing called "Baby Genius Singalong songs" on Netflix - its her crack
    Favourite outdoor item? Bubble bubbles and more bubbles. She also loves the swings/slides at the play ground - and walking around the block.
    Are baths fun? Yes - except when I rinse her hair
    Favourite toy? Right now she loves her new "dollie" (little cinderella plushy doll) and her Bracelets (kids ones from Claires).

She's a fun kid right now - but she is entering the terrible twos. Last night we put her in time out for the first time - so hard. I wanted to cry as DH carried her away her screaming "mama". I am definitely her comfort - she has a little bit of attachment when we are together (she's ok with Daycare drop offs).

We just started TTC for #2 and I am terrified. I know it will be ok but its a scary bandaid to pull off!

I have a lot of DIY projects for her "big girl" room. And lots of ideas swirling for her BDay party!

Here is a picture of her with her bracelets.

14. Alivoo01

@Mrs D: What a cutie! We've instilled time outs as well. He understands when we threaten him with time out, and when he continues to misbehave, to the corner he goes! Last week was the worse, he went to time out 3 days in a row. Sigh. Sticky baby dust for #2!

15. JessKas

pear / 1693 posts

These updates are so cute. I have not kept up with this thread, but it's cool to see such big kids!!!

Crib or Bed? We have bed shared since birth and still are
    Nap length? 1-2 hours
    Bed Time? 8:30-9
    Favourite Food? Cheese, fruit, ice cream
    Favourite word/phrase? "Mama hold me" "I no want it"
    Favourite movie? She loves watching curious George episodes
    Favourite outdoor item? Her pool or the cats (to chase)
    Are baths fun? We take shower together and she loves it
    Favourite toy? Her animal flash cards, trike, or stuffed monkey

I'm expecting #2 in October and LO is pretty obsessed with babies right now. Hope she continues to love them...

16. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: @Alivoo01: Thanks!

@StrawberryBee: oh my gosh that's scary!!! Thank God you saw the rash and hopefully you'll be able to kill it all with antibiotics since you caught it so early.

@JessKas: I no want it!!! I was having a hard time coming up with LO's favourite phrase, but that's totally it!

Alivo000, I missed the potty training question. We've got a potty and on weekends we use pullups, so that if it looks like LO's doing something (or if she says something), we can get there faster. So far we've caught one poo and one pee. She seemed quite horrified to see that poo in the potty. Did not understand why we were excited. I think that's all we'll do for now. We're not in a rush.

17. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@.twist.: Such a handsome LO! Cutie Pie!

@Alivoo01: Another cutie! K loves balls too!

@mdf106: K is such an unhealthy eater too - carbs and sugar!

@Grace: The play house is amazing! I got a hand-me-down of the plastic type but would have loved to build her one! Who is the handyman?

@StrawberryBee: Sorry to hear about E - but great that you caught it so quickly! Totally understand about double daycare costs...I am dreading it!

@Alivoo01: Do you just put him in the corner and he stays? We used the crib last night but I dont want that to be a "bad" place. I just dont trust she will stay and I dont know how I feel about physically restraining her!

@JessKas: Congrats on #2. My mom took a shower with K when she had her last month and said she loved it - if her bath issues get worse we may switch to that!

OMG - some of you are potty training...that terrifies me! I take K with me into the bathroom - she prefers to come - and try to explain the process to her. I am hoping she'll just ask to use it some day!

18. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@mdf106: Oh, I could totally have put "chocolate" anything on there for his fav foods but wanted to pick one of his healthier favs. But my kid REALLY loves chocolate.

@Mrs D: Ah! She is adorable! Yea, we have done a few time outs too. I actually started putting him in his room and letting him have some time to calm down. When I go back in his room after a minute or so I ask "are you all done?" and he said "yep!" and then we talk about what happened, like "ok, now we need to put on your clothes for daycare" or whatever and he's all good. It works wonderfully and I don't feel like it's such a "punishment" but more a "you get to have some alone time right now" thing.

@JessKas: What a sweetie! So cute. I'd love to start getting Lukas to have showers but I think he's a little scared of them!haha

19. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@JessKas: Congrats. We do showers after swimming, when I am already wet, and DS loves them.

20. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Alivoo01: I've been thinking of starting to potty train, but haven't gotten around to getting a potty yet. I need to go and look and see what's out there.

I switched to a separate conditioner a long time ago. B has super super curly hair so I needed something else. I just use aveeno shampoo still. ( I use Original Sprout conditioner. )

@StrawberryBee: Oh my gosh that's so scary! Thank goodness you found the tick and got it out!

@Mrs D: I had a 5 month old! I love having the two kids, we're thinking about #3 now

21. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

Crib or Bed? Crib, I never want to put her in a bed haha. She fights bedtime occasionally still and it would be horrible if she could get around her room.

Nap length? It varies 1-3 hours.

Bed Time? 7/730. She wakes up lots if she goes to bed later.

Favourite Food? Anything bad for her - french fries, cookies, ice cream haha. Healthy food though, she loves the youghurt tubes, I freeze them and she's obsessed with them. Also bananas. Every time she sees them, Na-NaNas!

Favourite word/phrase? No No No. ( usually followed by an eye lock and then a slow head nod of yes haha.) Or Elmo.

Favourite movie? She doesn't like movies but loves Elmo, though now she's more into Peppa the Pig.

Favourite outdoor item? The wading pool at the park. At our house, she just loves going on our balcony and hanging out on the dog bed. Gross, but I figure it's strenghtening her immune system.

Are baths fun? Yes, though sometimes she wants right out.

Favourite toy? Anything musical. Or anything of her sisters baby toys. I'll add a picture on a separate post from my phone

22. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

23. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

Crib or Bed? Crib
    Nap length? 2-3 hours
    Bed Time? 7:30 - 8:30 depending on the day.
    Favourite Food? She loves avocados too, and steak, bananas, cantaloupe, and junk too.
    Favourite word/phrase? We just got a new puppy, so "Murphy bop it" takes the cake!!
    Favourite movie? She likes Sophia "Fia"
    Favourite outdoor item? Her scooter
    Are baths fun? Not so much!
    Favourite toy? Baby and baby stroller, or an American Girl size horse that she fits on.

24. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

Wow, nice to see some activity here again! I've barely logged on here lately, but I picked my kid up from daycare the other day and was advised that she's repeatedly asking to go to the potty, so I'm back in research mode.

Crib or Bed? We're still in the crib. We moved a couple months ago, and I didn't want to make any further changes right away, and she's HATED going to bed again, so I know she wouldn't stay in a bed if she wasn't trapped. We'll maybe think about a bed once she goes to bed easier again.
    Nap length? Still 2-2.5 hours. 1pm to 3-3:30
    Bed Time? Ugh.... we try for 8 o'clock. She prefers 9:30, and will cry in her crib until that time no matter what we do most nights.
    Favourite Food? Cereal
    Favourite word/phrase? "Mom, I want cereal/bubbles/sit/this/baby/etc."
    Favourite movie? No real screen time yet. I let her watch an episode of bubble guppies when she was sick though and she loved it.
    Favourite outdoor item? Bubbles
    Are baths fun? Nope... we like to scream NO NO NO, OUT OUT OUT for the entire duration.
    Favourite toy? baby doll and stroller.

PHOTO!!!!

25. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

So happy to see this thread hopping!

@.twist.: he is adorable! What a big boy! I feel bad that you guys get up so early. I hope extending his bedtime helps. We are putting L to bed later because we are home for the summer and she will sleep in later.
    @mdf106: congrats on your upcoming arrival! I hope you feel great!
    @Alivoo01: we have started potty training but taking a very lax approach. If she wakes up dry I put her on right away and she'll pee. She asks to use it lots but often just sits on it and we read to her without her actually going. She knows when she needs to pee/poo but I think gets kinda timid about actually using it. I want her trained when she goes back to daycare in September though. She always got diaper rash there and I'd love to avoid that. Your LO is so handsome! Good luck with TTC and so sorry for your loss.
    @Grace: Love the play house! happy Canada Day!!
    @StrawberryBee: oh no! I hope she's better soon! Poor thing!
    @Mrs D: we do time outs too. We sit her on the stairs. It is so heartbreaking. She always cries huge tears and as soon as she's done she wants lots of hugs and kisses. Breaks my heart. She's a monkey though and likes colouring on my walls!
    @JessKas: congrats on your upcoming baby. Your DD is so sweet, I love her hair. We just started putting L in little pigtails or ponytails.
    @MrsB2012: look at her smile! She's beautiful!
    @StbHisMrs: she's adorable! Our ŁO can't get enough of her baby stroller too. It's cute to see.
    @Sapphiresun: Sorry you're having trouble at bedtime. That sounds rough. She's such a cutie though!

26. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

Ok now for an update!

Crib or Bed? Crib! She's staying in as long as possible. She loves her crib and has never tried to escape.
    Nap length? 2.5-3 hours
    Bed Time? 7:00 during the school year but 8 now.
    Favourite Food? She's not too picky but loves berries and watermelon right now.
    Favourite word/phrase? She's such a talker and we laugh that she won't shut up ever. She's very polite so I'd say we hear most often "Help me mommy please."
    Favourite movie? No screen time except for the YouTube video for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
    Favourite outdoor item? Her water table!
    Are baths fun? Oh yes she loves baths. Probably cause we only do them once a week.
    Favourite toy: Her baby and stroller or puzzles.

Life is good right now, she's such a joy. Hoping one of these days we can give her a sibling. Still trying after our awful loss in December.

27. Alivoo01

@Mrs D: I take DS to the bathroom with me as well because he wants to. He's gone with me for quite a few months now, but I don't think he fully grasps the concept yet. Other than throwing toilet paper into the toilet. He has to throw in his own square every time DH or I go. lol

@MrsB2012: Look at her hair! Love it!!!

@StbHisMrs: murphy bop it! Too cute!!

@Sapphiresun: oh man! Bath chant of no's and out's. Bet her baths are super quick then. lol

@delight: That's awesome your LO talks in complete sentences! C is finally becoming more verbal, but a lot of his communication is still through grunts and finger pointing. Arg. That picture of her though, oh man! melty heart! Sorry for your loss. Perhaps we'll both be preggo together really soon!! *fingers crossed*

28. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@MrsB2012: Congrats on #2 - I'll be picking your brain for sure as I get closer to #2...just got a pretty clear BFP today - fingers crossed. And where are you in that picture? The scenery is GORGEOUS! (not as much as the cutie lil girl!)

@StbHisMrs: Kate loves to say "no lola" to our dog too! Any time she even gets near one of K's toys - thats all you hear!

@Sapphiresun: so cute...and sounds like she has some mini sentences down! Thats killer!

@delight: Oh my goodness...coloring on walls!!! I always want to make one of the rolls of paper on the wall for artsy time but am afraid of encouraging wall coloring! She is so precious! I have everything crossed for you this month - I would so love to be DueDate month twins again! Hugs!

29. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Alivoo01: K definitely wants to come. And this past weekend she said "bye bye poopoo" when I flushed - it was pretty funny!

30. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

I know I haven't posted on here in about a year. It's been so insane in the Hedgie house I've been lucky to lurk! So, here goes a practical stranger posting!

Crib or Bed? Crib. I like having her contained so I can sleep in while she plays in the morning. For her birthday we plan on switching her to the toddler bed we bought though since we will need the crib in Dec when #2 is born. I want to leave plenty of time between those two transitions.

Nap length? 2-2 1/2 hours.

Bed Time? We start bedtime at 7 so I guess probably 7:30 and it takes her about an hour to wind down no matter what time we put her in bed. So she usually sings and plays in bed until around 8:30 or 9.

Favourite Food? Fruit. This kid will go nuts for fruit. "Beenas" (bananas) and grapes are her #1's lately but I think thats because we don't buy a big variety.

Favourite word/phrase? We have been working on manners lately. So she says "sorry Mommy/Daddy" for everything. Still working on the meaning of Sorry. Also "Thank you", "I want" and "What's that?" She is also saying "I luloo" (I love you) more which melts my heart.

Favourite movie? Frozen.... And I didn't introduce that. She is OBSESSED. We will be having a Frozen summer birthday.

Favourite outdoor item? Water and dirt. She loves slides esp ones that end up in water.

Are baths fun? I have a water baby. If we are having a rough day I ask if she wants a bath with Mommy and she runs upstairs to get in her tub where we will take a shower so I can relax and she can play. Still hates water on her head though so washing her hair is the last thing we do.

Favourite toy? Books, cars, babies and her Frozen figures her Daddy caved and bought her. But, mostly books. She is a book worm and I love it!!!

31. JessKas

pear / 1693 posts

@.twist.: She didn't like showers at first but now she loves them. I think it helps that we take them with her.

@MrsB2012: My LO loves the dog beds too! She rolls all around on them. Strong, strong immune systems

@delight: @Alivoo01: baby dust to you!

32. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Mrs Hedgehog: those thighs ... I am in love! I want to pinch them! K loves books too - cant get her enough!

33. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@MrsB2012: Congratulations. I am glad to hear you are enjoying parenting two children.

@delight: @Alivoo01: I hope you both get your sticky baby very soon.

@Mrs D: Congratulations!

@Mrs Hedgehog: Congratulations!

@delight: Thanks. I am actually feeling pretty good, much better than last time.

34. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

Thanks for your kind words, everyone . Her rash has completely disappeared now.

@Grace: Ahh, that playhouse is gorgeous!
    @.twist.: when I bought that potty it was $5, so it was a no brainer

Everyone's LOs are so adorable!

Crib or Bed? Crib, though I got her an inflatable toddler mattress for when we go on vacation later this month, so hoping that works!
    Nap length? Ha, I'm not sure? DH is usually in charge of naps ^^;;. She crashes for sometimes 3-4 hours after her half day at daycare.
    Bed Time? between 7:30 and 8:30 usually
    Favourite Food? Yogurt, fruit, sugar snap peas from the garden (also chocolate, french fries, and cookies lol)
    Favourite word/phrase? "Melmo"
    Favourite movie? She hasn't really watched much true tv, though she watches youtube videos a little bit each day. She loves Pooh bear and Elmo and strangely enough, tap dancing (Gene Kelly Singing in the Rain, or Shirley Temple)
    Favourite outdoor item? bubbles, ball, slide, playhouse, picking berries. Everything's a winner!
    Are baths fun? torture
    Favourite toy? I don't think there's one she values above another, it just all depends on her mood

35. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

Two questions for everyone:

1. have you done first haircut yet? I'm scared to take her and have her look different (plus her hair took so long to come in!) but she won't let me put clips or ponytails in her hair, and her bangs are getting super long/in her eyes. Do I wait and let them grow out, or am I just really late in taking her for her first haircut?

2. What are everyone's plans for the 2nd birthday party? I'm thinking we'll just do a small family gathering, but DH and I also plan to take her to Sesame Place because we live relatively nearby.

36. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@StrawberryBee: I cut K's bangs about a month ago bc they were getting in her (amazing) eyelashes and causing her problems. They are almost needing to be cut again! She has amazing curls on the back of her head which I refuse to cut for fear they will go away!

37. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@StrawberryBee: LO's hair looks similar to yours. I cut the bangs shortly after 1 year, because she won't let me put stuff in it and there was a mullet getting in her eyes. I've cut it 4-5 times since then. I also took her to a kids haircutting place for a real haircut in Feb, cause it was just looking crazy and getting matted up. They evened it all up, so now it's growing at the same rate. Looks way better!
    No plans for birthday yet, except that there will be two, because Grandpa needs to come a week after her birthday so that he can watch the football game (*eyeroll*). Oh, but I bought her a Corolle doll her for her birthday. It's killing me to wait two more months, she's going to love it!

@Mrs D: Congratulations on your bfp!
    Haha! I've thought about chalkboard walls or rolls of paper and am afraid of the same thing! I was scared of colouring books because I didn't know if she'd tell the difference between them and real books. She does though. Smart cookie.

@delight: Happy Canada Day to you too!

38. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@StrawberryBee: DS has had two haircuts, but he is a boy. The first one I was unhappy with, because his hair was still really thin, but I was happy with the second one. We went to a regular cheap haircutting place, and DS was fine. We are just going to have a small family party for the second birthday, like the first.

39. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Mrs D: @Grace: @mdf106: Thanks! we may be visiting supercuts this weekend

40. Mrs Hedgehog

pear / 1812 posts

@StrawberryBee: Haircut? Nope! She might be 30 before she gets her first one. Lol. But her hair is really curly so its longer than it looks.

As for her birthday we will host a splash party at our house again. This time the kids will actually be able to play rather than just kinda sit there though. And because she is obsessed with Frozen, it will be Olafs Summer Paradise. Or just Frozen. Lol.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee