Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

My milk came in! And with it plenty of baby spit up! I think she will have to adjust to the fact that her tummy is still tiny, she's over loaded her tum a few times.

2. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

I'm ready to join you ladies! I got home from the hospital Sunday after having Nathaniel on Saturday. It was an early discharge, since we were both doing so well. I'm sleep deprived and trying to get the hang of two kids, but I'm happy to be home.

3. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@aprild: Yay!! I saw in the other thread that your toddler is having a hard time adjusting. Mine too, unfortunately. He was fine until a couple days after we came home. He's just been pushing boundaries like crazy and throwing tantrums when he used to be seriously soo well-behaved. It breaks my heart a little, honestly. I'm hoping it's just a short phase while he gets used to all the changes.

4. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@lilteacherbee: I think it is just a phase the toddlers go through while adjusting. My son has been spending a lot of one on one time with grandma, so I'm hoping he gets extra attention and doesn't feel too left out. I try to play with him at home, but it's hard since I was told not to lift anything over 10 pounds for 2 weeks. I'm trying to take it easy.

5. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

Will be joining you ladies on the other side tomorrow! Baby didn't come on her own, so I lose my VBAC to a repeat c-section.

Also have a toddler so I will be in your shoes soon I feel, ladies @lilteacherbee: @aprild: .

6. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@getjazzy: good luck with your c-section tomorrow. I can't wait to hear an update!

7. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@aprild: @lilteacherbee: my three year old is also having a bit of a hard time. He definitely does not understand why mommy can't lift or play with him. He isn't acting out too badly, he is three after all. But this morning he had a meltdown about wanting mommy and our normal morning routine.
    I know it will be fine, but it's just hard for me to see him not quite get it and be sad.

8. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@OhCaptain: I miss our routine. We used to go to the playground a lot of to Gymboree. I really hate that I can't lift him and take him to fun places like I used to. Even when I'm all healed, I worry that it will be much harder to do things, since I'll have two kids to take everywhere.

9. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

All you toddler mamas, good luck! I can't even imagine!

In happy news, my wedding rings both fit today and my feet almost look normal! overall pretty happy with how my body is recovering, taking it easy and wearing my belly bandit, even though it is too big now! Don't want to pay for the next size down, only to wear it 10 days like this one.

10. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: the feet thing is SO gratifying right!? It was for me...my ankles got huge so I regularly admire them now

11. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

And... First DH complaint. He is still off work, but work called and said they had an urgent project that only he was licensed for (the back up guy is on vacation). We were planning to give P her first real bath today before visitors arrive tonight. He told me 30 min of work... An hour and a half later I am still waiting. I got everything ready, and then took off her foot wrap from her blood test the morning. She immediately kicked the chair hard, it started bleeding everywhere and I couldn't find the cotton ball! Shouted for DH to help, he huffed and got mad for disturbing him, and threw a cotton ball at me. Sigh.

12. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: That sounds so annoying! Work is our biggest issue too. DH got promoted the week L was born, and he's really overworked.

13. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

So we're still not nursing basically at all, but! The last two times we tried, she latched and stayed on for a minute or two. All she's done up to this point (since her tie release) was cry if I even tried, so latching at all is huge.

14. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: great progress!

15. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: yay for latching! You haven't given up, what a trooper!

Finally, DH came down and said "let's make this quick" but once we got P in the bath he melted! She totally owns his heart. We got her all bathed and in a cute outfit and he kissed me and then went back upstairs to work. All is well.

16. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: That would annoy me! I often feel like I do way more of the childcare even when DH is home to "help" me. Sometimes I wonder if it would make that big of a difference for him to go back to work.

@Torchwood: I'm having trouble in the breastfeeding department too. My baby is sleepy all the time and doesn't want to put in the effort required to get the breastmilk. He'll latch on just fine, but then only suck a couple times before giving up. If he's drinking from a bottle, he has no problem at all. It's so frustrating for me, because my first was the exact opposite. He would nurse for 45 minutes at a time! I'm starting to think I won't be able to breastfeed this guy.

17. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: oh man...I would have punched him! Glad he was able to relax a little. How can you not when you're giving an adorable baby a bath!??
    @Torchwood: congrats on latching!!! That's amazing. Hopefully she will continue to improve. Breastfeeding is harder then I ever imagined.

Miles is not a fan of the bath in terms of a typical hard shell infant tub. So I tried co bathing with him the other day and he loved it!!! I was able to submerge him more then he normally would have been since I was holding him on my lap (on a towel). He seemed so comfortable and relaxed!
    I made another post related to this but he's having his lip tie fixed in 2 weeks. I'm hoping that helps improve our nursing. He's been doing ok but I know he's not getting as much milk from me as he should be because of his shallow latch. As well as im still in a bit of pain!!!

18. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Portboston: I can't wait to try co bathing! It seems like a good solution to everything, even though bath time has been okay so far. We have a softer puj folding tub, due to limited condo space.

19. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: Glad everything worked out! I know it can be super frustrating at times! DH was like that sometimes with LO1 and I found that I had to really explain to him what I expected. This time, with a toddler as well as the newborn, we're both running around trying to survive hahaha.

20. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Torchwood: Yay for you sticking with it!! You're doing a great job!

21. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

My swelling has finally gone down!! I guess I'm lucky because I never had any swelling while being pregnant (except not being able to wear my rings the last few weeks). But dang, they pump you with so many fluids after a c-section that my legs and feet felt HUGE for the past week. Also, I had some weird rash on one side of my face/neck that appeared right before we left the hospital and it's almost gone now. So weird. The nurse didn't know what it was, other than just a random reaction to hormones or any of the meds I was on.

Starting to feel like myself again! Woohoo!

22. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@lilteacherbee: ugh, I can't wait for the post surgery swelling to go away! My feet are ridiculous!

23. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

For the moms with two kids, do you think your baby is like your toddler or the opposite? I feel so lucky that my little one is the opposite of my toddler as a newborn. My toddler was a very high needs baby and would cry/fuss whenever he wasn't being held or nursed. I could never put him down! It made the first couple months exhausting for me. This new baby is so laid back and sleeps all the time. I can set him in his bassinet, the swing, my arms, wherever I want, and he just stays asleep. It's amazing to me! And it makes it easier for me to spend time with my toddler and also keep up with the housework a little.

24. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@aprild: no experience on the 2 babies, but I am so happy that this little guy is cooperating with you to make life a bit easier!

25. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

8 minutes nursing so far today! Baby steps!

So I could use some input. DH has to go to Denver for work in a few weeks. We used to live there, and LOVED it, so he suggested I go with him and we make a nice little trip of it. It's my birthday weekend, so I'd really love to. I'm fine with the thought of traveling with LO, but he's hesitant. (He hates flying, so I'm wondering how much that's a factor.) He wants to drive. It's 20 hours or so each way, usually split into two days (we've made this drive at least 5 times). While I agree with some of his points (no worrying about fitting everything into luggage, have our own car and car seat, etc), I overall think it would be really crazy to drive. But if he really refuses to fly, I think I'd rather go than not, even if it means driving. She's a very calm baby most of the time, and sleeps well in the car. Granted that could change in a few weeks, but maybe not? She'll be about 2 months, but only a few weeks adjusted.

26. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Also, somebody got fussy while I was pumping (making it hard to cuddle properly), and wound up falling asleep sitting up with her head in my hand.

27. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: my input is colored only by my own experience with my first but a drive that length would have been hell. He didn't mind his car seat until he was a month old and then he HATED it until he was almost one. We did two six hour drives when he was six weeks old and the last two hours were torture. He was over it and just cried the last two hours, no matter how often we stopped to soothe/nurse.
    If you have your husband to help I'd absolutely fly.
    Also, I realize not all babies are the same, so I'm sure someone here has a good story to counteract my bad one.

28. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@OhCaptain: Yeah, I'm definitely afraid she'd do fine for a while then lose it. We'd be very committed once we got away from the house.

29. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: no input as to what to do, but if you Do decide to come to Denver let me know! We could meet up and talk Aug babies over coffee or something

30. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: Will do! Maybe while DH is actually working.

31. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@aprild: Isla is pretty similar to how my older dd was as a newborn - they've both being pretty laid back and cruisy. DD was easier in that she didn't care where she slept but Isla prefers being held and sleeping in my bed (hoping to get her to sleep in the bassinet this weekend) Isla is a faster/more efficiant feeder - dd would take 20-40 mins for a feed but Isla usually takes 10 mins max. I've been blessed with easy babies

Isla has been sleeping longer stretches the past 2 nights! The first night she slept 9pm-3am before waking for a feed and last night she slept 8pm-1am when I woke her for a feed because I was super engorged and not able to sleep! Hopefully this extra sleep helps to kick my damn sickness which is still hanging around.

32. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@Portboston: I want to try co-bathing next week when dh is home in the evenings - how did you decide how hot to have it? I like hot baths which obviously isn't going to work for lo

33. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsStar: we actually checked it with a thermometer before we got in. It's recommended to be close to 100 so I think ours was like 98. He seemed comfortable with that temp.

34. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

L has been nursing like nonstop today!! I can't leave my couch.

35. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Mrs. J: put on some Netflix and get settled!

DH goes back to work on Monday and I'm kinda scared!

36. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: My DH goes back to work Tuesday and I'm terrified as well! Mainly because I need help with the toddler. C is still a very sleepy, easy newborn, but big bro is a handful! Thankfully, my parents are only 20 minutes away and my mom watched him when I was working, so he's very comfortable with them and they love spending time with him.

37. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

We're going to Denver! Flying, thankfully. I'm excited to have the time with DH and LO together, and to go back somewhere we love. A little nervous about traveling, but I'm sure she'll do well.

We're also making progress nursing! She latches and stays on a few minutes every time now! Hoping I can get the SNS working to maybe stop her getting frustrated. Though she might just be getting tired too. It's a lot more work than a bottle! Thank you to everyone who has been encouraging us!

And pictures because I can't resist.

38. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: woo! What a cutie!

39. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: she's so cute and expressive.

40. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Torchwood: those big eyes!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee