Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Torchwood: love those eyes!!!! So happy to hear you're making progress with nursing!

2. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

Okay, I want to see if what is happening is normal... I am 17 days postpartum and itchy! The lady parts are itchy, as to be expected as they heal up, but starting yesterday I am itchy other places... My thighs, neck, arms, hands, face! Not really seeing hives, and the itching has been mild, but wtf?! No new lotions, fabric softeners, soaps, etc. Is this normal? Hormones? Should I call my ob or wait until my 6 week appointment and pray it doesn't get worse? I already take zyrtec daily, and I want to add benadryl to help, because I am so itchy!

3. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I would say hormones. I had a rash on my face and neck from about 2 days pp until maybe a week and then it randomly went away. Hormones do some crazy things. If it's really bothering you, I'd call your OB just to see what they say and if they can do anything for you.

4. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Torchwood: She's beautiful!

5. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

How's everyone doing?! DH went back to work today, so I'm hanging out at my moms haha. It took about 2 hours to get myself and two kids ready to leave the house! I did take them both out yesterday and we all survived

Big bro seems to be getting better. Still testing boundaries, but overall, much more pleasant to be around than last week, thank goodness. C is doing well, too. I forgot how (mostly) easy a newborn is, compared to a toddler!

Here's one of the newborn pics I took

6. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

I'm 8 days PP and this is my first post in this thread. I'm lazy

Physical recovery is taking a lot longer than I anticipated. I'm incredibly sore by the end of the day but I've reached a major milestone today-- wearing sweatpants!! Pain and swelling had relegated me to skirts before today!

I need advice (or sympathy). My supply tanks around 10pm (I don't hear glug glug like I usually do) and C ends up wanting to feed every half hour until about 2am or later as a result. Three nights ago I gave up and told OH to feed her the nursette bottle the hospital sent us home with. I pumped while he did that and got half an ounce total. She slept for four hours afterwards. The night after that we just fed on demand and were up 10pm until 4am because she was just so hungry. Last night I nursed for around a half hour with no glug glugs (or milk residue in the shield) and C kept hunger crying. We fed her an ounce that I had pumped in the morning and she fell asleep for three hours. So the plan tonight is to supplement a feeding around 10pm with formula while I pump so my supply doesn't miss the feeding. Does this sound like a reasonable at all? Her pediatrician said there is nothing wrong with C having one feeding a day with formula, especially if given by OH so they can bond. I'd post on main boards, but I'm afraid of snarky comments. I trust you guys

7. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

Hey ladies - glad to be in the other side with you all! Things here are going ok. Breastfeeding is somewhat better this time around although we need to work on his latch- my one nipple is a mess so am giving it a break and pumping on that side. Not sure whether to try a bottle for that milk or try and feed him off the one side for a day or two. I need to call an LC and get a consult. DD seems to be transitioning ok- she wants to be a big helper but I think it's s little hard being told to wait or be more quiet so much more now. We actually took her over to the nanny share today so she could have some fun. Hoping things will get easier once we get into more of a groove.

8. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Ms. RV: have you tried any blessed thistle, fenugreek and oatmeal supplements to help evening supply? I'd try to see an LC to figure it out! In the meantime, supplementing with formula is fine! You need to feed your baby! You are doing a good job mama!

@abmamma: getting a bottle can't hurt, then you can use that precious milk! Glad DD is settling in to her new role as big sister!

9. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Ms. RV: sounds totally reasonable to me!! Any amount of breastmilk is great!! i had to supplement with formula with DD from 4 months on and she is healthy and happy. Whatever works to keep mama and baby healthy is a good thing.

10. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@lilteacherbee: gorgeous picture! I wish I had your talent!

11. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I have been eating so much oatmeal. At least a cup and a half (raw measurement) per day. I didn't think to try herbal supplements but will definitely. The LC's around here I don't like. I met with a couple in the hospital and I felt shamed for asking about pumping and I was told the only way I could pump enough for while C is in daycare is to rent a hospital grade pump from them. I felt like they were just out to make money and not provide any real help. That's the only LC group my insurance covers.

12. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@abmamma: Thanks! It helps to know other people supplemented. I know other people have, but I need the affirmation

13. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Ms. RV: if you ever want to talk more, let me know. I put myself through the wringer with DD- we had challenges with supply/flat nipples/her inability to latch and that coupled with weight gaining issues on her end created a lot of angst and guilt on my part. I felt like I was failing as mother and it really took a toll on our first 4?months. But we all became a lot happier once I let go of the guilt and supplemented. She ended up with a combo of breastmilk and formula until 9 months which I am still proud of. So don't let anyone shame you into anything- you are the mama and you know what's best for your family! Fingers crossed it gets easier though.

14. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

Took a benadryl, then enjoyed a 4 hours nap with P, woke up with a rash on my neck, breasts and itchy fingers. I will call my ob Fri if this continues. Ugh!

15. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Ms. RV: there's nothing wrong with supplementing! I've had to supplement a bit as well...Miles's tongue tie keeps him from getting a sufficient feed from me. So night feedings are rough. We try to do a bottle of expressed breast milk as the last evening feed but sometimes I don't pump during the day or don't get enough during that pump. So he gets a bit of formula. The boy has to eat and I need some sleep!

16. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: It doesn't look like PPUPS does it? I've read that it can occur postpartum.

17. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Ms. RV: it's not on my.stomach... And i didn't get any stretch marks, so I don't think so? Thinking it's hormones and being subconscious worried just because DH is back at work. Trying to relax, I took more zyrtec and so we will see!

18. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Ms. RV: I would agree that taking supplements would be a good idea. My LC recommended the Mother Milk Special Blend, and it made a noticeable difference for me. She also had me rent a hospital pump and I do get more.

19. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Just popping in to say hello! I want to catch up on everything soon but have been deep in the mommy fog since we had little R. Got home from the hospital today. So far breastfeeding is going pretty well! So much love over here, I'm swimming in it!

Oh also, thank God for grandmas!!!!

20. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I had an unexplained rash during late second trimester, and a dermatologist said it wasn't PPUPs because I didn't have stretch marks. When I talked to my OB about it, she said that if you don't have stretch marks it will just start other places. (Luckily, mine was just a random rash). Hopefully it isn't what you have!

21. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Torchwood: The LC told me to rent a hospital pump before I was having supply issues and without even asking how many feedings I would need to provide daily. The hospital system that the LC's are apart of owns the insurance company. The insurance company loses money on a regular pump, but makes money on hospital grade, so I think they are coached to push rentals.

22. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

So I'm at urgent care. rash got worse, spread to my back, face, scalp, and arms and hands. Called my ob, they said to see my pcp. Called my.pcp, they can't see me for a week, and told me to go to urgent care. So here I am. Itchy mess with baby in tow. So ready to be over this!

23. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: Ugh that's awful!! I hope you get seen quickly and get some relief.

24. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

Sophie is a week old today! My c-section recovery is going super well, maybe too well sometimes. I have forgotten a couple of times about it and done stupid things like pick up my toddler or other no-no activities so I'm trying to be more mindful. Soph has been eating pretty much non stop this past week, she's a little tank. My engorgement is finally seeming to work itself out which is nice, I didn't miss that feeling! My nipples are starting to toughen up too so the toe-curling first latch pain is subsiding.. Another feeling I did not miss! She's sleeping well, doing 3-4 hour stretches at night with quick 15-30 min wake up time total between feeding and diapering so I'm thankfully not a total mombie. We go for her first check up on Thursday. A little later than I had hoped but the doctor was booked up until then. Hoping after all that eating that her weight is doing well. Big brother has been amazing, he's adjusted so much better and quicker than I even expected him to. All around, we are doing really great as a family of 4!

25. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@getjazzy: thanks! I am on bf safe steroids for 5 days and a follow-up with my pcp next week. Fingers crossed this solves it! Best guess is hormones and heat rash, maybe an allergic response to something I came across at the park on Sunday.

26. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Ms. RV: My LC isn't associated with a hospital. And I get significantly more with a hospital pump than with the PISA I have.

27. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: oh that sounds terrible- hope they get it figured so you can get some relief!

@getjazzy: glad things are going well. I can't wait to get past the initial breastfeeding pain stage- N has really done a number on my nipples to the point that part of me wonders if EPing wouldn't be such a bad idea. Trying to remind myself it will get better- just need to hang in there. DD is doing well too - just wish I could focus more on her.

28. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@getjazzy: so glad things are going well!

We are settling in nicely. Last night she slept a 4 hour and then 5 hour stretch and it seems tonight is following the same pattern. We get better at breastfeeding with each session! It hurts a bit but I don't know how much of that is new nipple pain or just something with her latch. Our first ped check up is today and we are meeting with an LC so I'll ask her. Yesterday was our first full day at home and it went so well! Cycled through the poop, eat, burp, sleep routine all day with no problems. Love this little nugget! Our first outing is today and I can't wait to try the ring sling!

29. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: hope you are feeling better!

30. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Ladies, 4 days pp over here and I am seriously afraid of pooping. Only internal tearing so I hope it isn't too bad. How's it been for everyone else? I've heard horror stories!

31. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: I'm a lot less itchy today! Hooray fir steroids! Oh, and that second degree tearing and a few stitches, and pooping wasn't as bad as I feared! Good luck!

32. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@buttermilk: I was afraid too but it was better then what I was expecting! I remember with LO1 it was worse then what it was this time.

33. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Portboston: question-- do I remember from a previous post that you went on a couple day "nipple rest"? I am doing the same thing right now given the damage N has done with his poor latch but am dismayed at the amount of output I am getting with the pump. Did you have any issues like that? I am trying to figure out if I am having supply issues on top of this or if my body is just not producing for the pump. I am so scared that the nipple rest/pumping is going to permanently diminish my supply but attempts at nursing are so incredibly painful right now.... I am trying to pump more frequently and am drinking Mothers Milk Tea (and more water) but not sure what else to do.

34. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@abmamma: yep I was pumping for about two days. Apparently, what you pump is always going to be less than what your baby eats. So we did have to supplement a bit with formula. How much do you get per session & how often are you pumping?

I'm sorry you're having trouble nursing. It's killer. I'm still having trouble as well but hoping it will get better soon since we had his ties released I really wish someone would have caught them sooner!!

35. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Portboston: Right now I am only getting like an ounce (or slightly less) with each session. At the LC's earlier this week, the milk transfer was about 1.5 ounces which is what the LC said was what he needs right now (he's a week old). As of today I am pumping every two hours. Were you able to keep up with LO's needs when you started nursing again? I just don't want to see my supply tank (I had that problem with DD but not until she was like 3-4 months old).

I hope that the fact that his ties were released helps. For us, it seems like it is a combination of a shallow latch and my anatomy so we just need to practice and see if we can make it better- but is just so painful right now! I am so envious of people for whom breastfeeding comes so naturally!

36. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@abmamma: I think as long as you're pumping what he needs right now, you're fine. Your supply should increase once he needs more.

Miles is gaining appropriately so I guess I'm keeping up with him. But his shallow latch (due to the ties) keeps him from getting much at one feeding. So he's still nursing every two hours. It's rough!

I'm jealous of those women too!!!

37. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@abmamma: sorry I misread that...he's eating 1.5 oz and you're pumping <1oz...yea that's how it is when I pump too. Miles eats about 2.5-3oz a session and I usually pump about 2. Sometimes I get 3 or more but rarely. That's why we have to supplement sometimes when I'm pumping (I take days off here and there to recover my poor nips!)

38. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Portboston: Well, that's somewhat reassuring to me-- sounds like it's fairly normal and if you were able to keep up once you went back to nursing that's a good thing!! Fingers crossed that things improve for both of us soon

39. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

Question about making DH feel better! Sometimes P will be crying he is trying to soothe her, but she will only settle down for a few minutes at a time for him before crying again. I try to stay out of his way (grab a shower, just relax in our bedroom, etc. Not hovering!) but by the end of an hour he usually comes to me from help. Each time, it turns out that's she's hungry a bit earlier than normal, and I can solve the problem instantly. DH admits he feels like the worst daddy in the world, and it breaks my heart! He is so kind and gentle and patient with her, but he doesn't have the boobs! We do bottle feed occasionally with pumped milk, but that is planned around pumping, not just random crying episodes when I am available to breastfeed.

What can I do to make sure DH knows he's a great daddy! I try to tell him, and he really is good at calming P when she isn't starving! He is having a rough time, and I want him to know she loves him as much as she loves me, she just can't show it because she is only 3 weeks old!

40. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Pooping wasn't so bad! I used a warm washcloth and applied counter pressure. Done it 3 times now! I have a lot to ask about breastfeeding and weight gain etc. I'm just so tired, will try to update tomorrow. Doc gave us some formula to supplement and I am having a hard time with it. Ugh full story tomorrow. We are planning to soend the whole day in bed napping and nursing.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee