Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@katsupgirl: that's good that the fever didn't last too long. She's in mostly all 0-3 clothes now. There are a couple of footless PJs that are newborn size that she's still fitting comfortably in. I don't know when to bust out the "3 month" size clothes yet.

2. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@agold: it's so difficult especially because all brands don't fit the same. I'd take out a few faves and try them on.

3. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Do you mean 6 mo clothes?

4. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@T.H.O.U.: We're in the same boat. Actually S has been in 6 month clothes for a couple weeks now!

5. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

Is it bad that I really want F so take a freaking paci? I feel like it would just give me a break sometimes. He still doesn't like being put down for more than five min. If we're out and he's awake, he's almost always super fussy I had a ridiculous meltdown today because I finally broke down and bought a swing hoping it would be a place for him to relax a bit, and I couldn't even put it together! The holes weren't big enough for the screws so we had to return it, which was a PITA I didn't need.

6. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@MrsSCB: dang that stinks.

C likes a paci if you hold it in her mouth.

7. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@MrsSCB: Popping in from october, but i'' so sorry you had such trouble with the swing. Have you thought about a travel-sized swing? That's what we bought and it didn't have too many screws. It also takes up a lot less room. I hope you get something that works for you soon!

8. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@T.H.O.U.: same, he'll figure it out if I'm holding it in, and he'll suck for like 30 seconds if I let go...but then he just kind of lets it fall out of his mouth. He doesn't seem to get how to keep it in, or he doesn't care to I guess.

@avivoca: thanks for the tip! What kind do you have? Right now we just have a RNP type thing but it doesn't rock on its own which is kind of not helpful, haha. He sleeps really well in it at night, but I'd like something that he can maybe just chill in for a bit without sleeping. Maybe that's too ambitious at this stage? I have know idea what I'm doing

9. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@MrsSCB: I have this thing which I got to hold him in while I showered. He tolerates it for a bit. Mostly I've been putting him in the dock-a-tot or propping him up with the Boppy.
    Eta the picture

10. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@MrsSCB: I reeeeally wish my kid would take a paci too. Ever since we started the reflux med he's eating less and isn't as into comfort sucking. But he can't figure out how to soothe himself either. He's been chewing on his hands but with minimal success

11. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@MrsSCB: I have a Fisher Price Rainforest swing. We bought it a few years ago with our older daughter. Here's a pic. Please ignore my awful couch.

12. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@avivoca: I had that one for DD. I bought the newer one for DS and I prefer the older one. Same with the kick and play piano gym thing.

13. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@katsupgirl: I'm so glad we kept it! It is the one baby container that I kept from when H was little.

14. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: no, I have clothes that are "0-3" /!: then clothes that are just "3 months"; then clothes that are "3-6" month; and then clothes that are "6 months"! So many clothes - 99.9% of which are generous handmedowns from LEO wive friends. I haven't even moved beyond the 0-3 yet.

@katsupgirl: and yes! I'm finding that the brands fit differently. For footed pjs, I'm getting really particular about how the feet are sown. Most all are sown so stupidly near the toes. It makes me angry!

@MrsSCB: I am so very very sorry that you had all that hassle with the swing. I see the travel swing recommendations. I will just say that when I finally did get the huge regular swing, i find that it is tue side to side motion that my baby girl really likes. The smaller space saving swings all go front to back swinging. My baby wasn't impressed with that.

15. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

Hey girls - would you leave your 8 week, breastfed baby in order to attend the backyard wedding of your husband's coworker in the next county over? I'm staying home tonight and my husband went without me. My girl is going through some sort of growth spurt or whatever makes her extra fussy and needy. I wanted to be home with her. One of the other wives pretty much side-eyed me over this decision. Why are moms so judgey???

16. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Ah I got it. I kind of feel like 0-3 and 3 mo are so similar that I group them together.

As for the wedding....I wouldn't be ready to leave a 2 mo yet. I'd probably take her with me or just stay home with her. Welcome to parenthood where moms always judge other moms. It's tough, but the best choice is to always go with your gut. You know your child best.

17. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@agold: unless that mom is in the throes of the newborn stage as well she can shove it. I personally wouldn't go but I can't leave my 4 yr old so
    The stay or go decision totally depends on so many factors.

18. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@pregnantbee: id have brought the a
    Baby and left early or stayed home. My baby won't sleep unless he's being worn and I hte when he's overtired!! Also last time we tried he refused a bottle... so....
    I think we went on a date without my daughter when she was two months old but it was to a restaurant in town so we were gone for two hours total and she didn't even need the milk if left.

19. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: late to this party, but twice now we've done our newborn shoots at 8w. I'm not a huge fan of the sleeping baby in a basket photos, and I feel like by 8w they show their personality a bit. We just got this preview pic back from our "newborn" shoot on Monday. Although, of course she's sleeping in this pic, but not in a basket!

And do what you do. Screw the judgey moms.

@Silva: glad the Zantac has helped!

20. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Love the photo! Hope you're doing well.

21. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@pregnantbee: @agold: 3m and 0-3 are the same size. Same goes for 3-6 and 6m.

22. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@ShootingStar: I was going to say this, too. If I were @agold: I would be getting those 3 month clothes out asap because she will quickly outgrow them. They only go up to about 12.5 pounds. 3 month size clothing means "up to 3 months" generally and 6 month size clothing is "up to 6 months," etc.

23. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: they are adorable! So cute.

24. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: good to know you think they are so similar. I'm going to get them all out today or tomorrow.

@katsupgirl: thank you! She breast fed her girls for a long time and just finished a couple of weeks ago with her one year old. She also said to me, "well, both their grandmas love watching them." As if my mom doesn't?? Ugh. I love this girl, but she can shove it with her comments!

@Silva: the bride didn't invite the baby. Haha. And yes, i feel like a two hour dinner in town is the extent of what I'm comfortable doing at this point. I might go to a a police wives jewelry party.

@OldpuebloJenn: oh my gosh! That picture is adorable! Did you do your pictures are home? And are those blabla or cuddle and kind dolls? We did our pictures outside a tiny bit away from the house. And we drove a few minutes to get to a few different spots. So baby was in and out the car. Yikes! And it was at like 4-6 pm. Ha! She was a trooper and did as best she could. Cried only half the time and slept like a champ when we got home.

@ShootingStar: good to know about those sizes! So dumb. Why not be consistent? Haha. But gees. I may have skipped a whole set of clothes!

@coopsmama: thank you!! I'm going to get them out today!!!

So I've learned that clothes need to be worn BEFORE they fit her. Sometimes I think the clothes are a little big. And then a wait a bit and they fit just right but are actually at that point just too small in some ways. Ugh. At least these are all mostly handmedowns and not things I have purchased.

25. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@agold: yeah clothes are tricky. They never really "fit". I have a handle on it for my DD and she's always a size up. Still adjusting with DS to see what his growth is like. I bought a onesie for Halloween a couple weeks back. I thought the 6m size would be perfect. Sizing says up to 14 lbs and he's already 13 and change. I hope when it gets here it fits for Halloween.
    Then I have a 6-12 month hoodie that looks huge. I decided to wash it cause it might fit next month. So hard to keep up.
    With DD I did weekly pictures just to get her in outfits/clothes we were gifted. I suppose there are worse problems.

26. T.H.O.U.

Our living room decor. I figure if she's napping there and addicted to the swing then at least she's learning to sleep through our noises.

27. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@agold: Drive in your lane. I get looking left and right to get a feel for traffic/flow, so to speak, but definitely go with your gut and don't second guess yourself. If another mama is giving you side-eye over this? That says so much more about her than it does about you/your decision. (It's also something I would keep in mind going forward. When someone shows you who they are--an insecure mess--believe them). Fwiw, I wouldn't leave my baby either. I passed up a wedding when my little guy was 6 weeks because I wasn't ready to leave him or to stress out about logistics--I would have worried about him the whole time and would not have enjoyed myself.

28. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

So it appears that all I have to do for sleep to get a little better is complain about it on the internet. Not feeling so much in the weeds, even had a date night with hubby!

@agold: I wouldn't of left mine at 2 months for a wedding. We left LO#1 at 4 months and that was early enough.

@OldpuebloJenn:

@Silva: So glad the Zantac is helping

29. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Love love love that photo. Beautiful kiddies

Sorry I'm quiet but I have been reading along!
    Count us in on the nap issues, A only sleeps in a bouncer or carseat during the day, for a max of 40 mins at a time.
    And I did not expect teething this early, but the signs are there. Unusually grizzly/grumpy, red cheeks, drool, and tons of lip chewing. Argh!

30. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pwnstar: lovely advice.

@AprilFool: 4 months seems good. Turns out that my little girl is sort of cluster feeding the past couple days. Who can leave a baby in the midst of a growth spurt??

31. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

Have any of you girls had problems with swaddling? We use an Aden anais easy swaddle but my girl sort of busts out of it by morning. Toddy my husband picked her up first and said the swaddle was up around her face and she was gasping for air. I wish I had seen it because I suspect he's being dramatic. But anyhow.., looks like we aren't swaddling anymore. She's such an amazing sleeper and I feel like that's done! Has anyone tried those swaddles that keep the arms out ? (Seems pointless but they must exist for a reason)

32. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: we use the swaddle me blankets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016MP5IZI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477321181&sr=8-2&keywords=swaddleme&pi=SY200_QL40

They have Velcro tabs that keep the swaddle in place, she can still get an arm out, but overall they've worked well for us.

The cats are cuddle and kind, the girls love them. Well, as much as an 8w old can love anything.
    @AprilFool: thank you and glad you're sleeping better. I must have missed that post, but I've been struggling with insomnia this last week or so. I went through it with my first, and is a manifestation of ppd/ppa, I've had some luck with natural remedies though.
    @Umberto: thanks! Yup, that's how our naps go. teething already?! My first got her first tooth at 4m. I'm not ready to start that all again, and I love their gummy grins!

33. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@pregnantbee: thank you! I'm doing okay! M is a dream baby and already so full of personality. But the last two months haven't been without struggles- DD1 is acting out a bit at school, but thankfully we have an amazing preschool that works with us/her, and after just a few changes at home we've seen improvement.

I'm seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow to help with oversupply issues I've had. It sounds like a non problem, but I'm constantly getting clogged ducts, had a nasty bought of mastitis, I leak through pads and bras regularly. my milk had regulated by now with DD1, and eating/feeding seems pretty consistent with M, Im just not regulating to the demand.

Other than all that nonsense, life is good! Are you on leave through the new year? Hope it's going well!

34. T.H.O.U.

@agold: We have the Love to Dream arms up Swaddle and its amazing. The arms out (like a sleep sack) really doesn't do much except keep them warm. At this age they still need their arms tied down so the reflex doesn't startle them.

35. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: I've heard the A & A swaddles aren't as good because they use snaps. Ones with velcro like the SwaddleMe and more adjustable and can get a tighter fit.

@OldpuebloJenn: I'm curious what advice the LC has given you? I've been having issues regulating my supply at night. L's been sleeping long stretches since like the first week and I'm still waking up engorged and leaking. I'm probably not helping matters because I figured I'd capitalize on it and have started pumping at her first feeding. She doesn't usually eat very much so I'm still uncomfortable and I figure why waste it. And last few days I've started pumping before bed to empty myself out as much as possible.

36. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Glad to hear you're doing well overall. I'm sorry DD1 is having trouble at school. Her world has been rocked -- I'm sure it's normal and that she'll adjust, given time and lots of love. It's so helpful to get help from school, too.

I'm also sorry about your milk not regulating yet. I hope the LC has some answers for you. BF finally stopped hurting only a week ago at 11w. Crazy. I think over and under supply are both problematic. I leak like crazy on the non-nursing side especially if it has been awhile since I last fed her.

We've been doing well over here. 4yo has also had a little trouble at school, but they're also working with us, and he does ok. I'm most struggling with finding time for exercise and eating healthfully. My baby girl spits up like crazy, so I've been trying to eliminate various things from my diet....we may be on to something since I removed tomatoes, but we'ok see.

Thanks for writing!

37. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Thanks. Insomnia sucks! Sorry you have it too. So many mornings start at 4am since I can't go back to sleep after that feed. Hope things went well with the LC

DD was having issues at school and home that have mostly resolved themselves. I say mostly because she is still three What has worked at home is giving her more responsibility. I read somewhere on the Bee that defiance is a sign of asking for more responsibility, so she has jobs (taking out the rubbish etc) and try not to do things for her and she is really responding.

@agold: We use the Love to Dream too and have some ergo cocoons from #1 for when we move to arms out.

38. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

Thank you, girls, for your swaddle suggestions. I'm going to look into them. I am not sure about Velcro because I like to change her diaper anytime she wakes.

With swaddle routine,, she goes down after nighttime feed around 7 or 8 and then wakes once around 2 or 3.

Tonight, without swaddle, she went down at 730; woke herself and wailed so ate again at 830; and then woke again at1215 and seemed pretty awake so I'm feeding her again. 😩 This is now two feedings she wouldn't normally have. Is this wrong to feed her this much out of her normal routine?? Should I change her entirely and try a different swaddle? Ugh. So pissed my husband is at work. Emma was/is a dream nighttime sleeper and I feel so sad for her that she's waking up. Darn those dangerous Aden easy snap swaddles! 😰

ETA: ugh. Sorry for ranting drama. I put her in a woombie type swaddle - after feeding her again. Poor girl is exhausted. I'm praying this swaddle works. It seems like it won't go over her mouth so that is good.

39. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: Is she still pooping at night? If not don't change her diaper. Just put a layer of aquaphor on to protect her skin. And do the diaper change before you feed her when she wakes up.

40. T.H.O.U.

@agold: how did she do in the woombie

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee