Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2013 feeding

1. yerpie110

nectarine / 2771 posts

@birdofafeather: too cute!!!

2. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

@allison: mani, pedi? Movie by yourself? Anything for some alone time?

It's bamboo. I really like them and R loves chomping on them. They are by Bambu (creative name, right?) and we got them from amazon.

3. allison

pear / 1895 posts

@birdofafeather: well, it's a bit complicated... Here's my sob story:

Husband and I manage a motel, and we live here (at the motel) too. There's an apt. Anyway, so when we took this job last summer, we got rid of my cell phone because we were never away from each other and to save money. There's nothing here (literally) and the nearest town is 20 minutes away. So if I go somewhere by myself, I'd take the cell for safety purposes, but he can't call me because the motel doesn't have long distance (yes, you read that correctly). I've only gone somewhere by myself once after E was born (grocery store) and I was a nervous wreck that something was going to happen and he wouldn't be able to call and tell me.

I can't wait to move!

4. edelweiss

grapefruit / 4923 posts

@birdofafeather: she is so cute! E has sometimes rubbed his face and eyes during a feeding, basically grinding whatever puree into every single pore. i use the bumkins superbibs which I like for covering the body, but otherwise yes, our feedings have been messy!

5. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@birdofafeather: Cute! I am really starting to think that maybe we just need to strip Dax for feedings, too. He likes to grab the spoon, then like @edelweiss: said, he rubs his face, or plays with his hair, and that ish is everywhere. Yesterday I was STILL finding avocado up his nose from Sunday night's dinner...even after a bath! I guess stripping him down won't prevent it from getting on his face or hair, though, so....

And yup, we went with sweet potatoes. And no I didn't ferment them. Cuz I'm all talk, no action. Ha ha. He freakin loves them, though. Tonight's night 3 of avocado, and then we're going to try green beans.

6. pl0508

GOLD / grapefruit / 4007 posts

@littlebug: looks like he enjoyed it !! So cute !

7. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

how much are you littles eating? we just started last week, but my ped said she should be eating 3 meals a day?! i'm gonna start slow and work our way up obviously, but that seems super excessive. am i way off? i'm only offering once a day at this point since wanted to offer at least a few times before moving onto the next thing! and zucchini 3x per day doesn't sound appetizing! ha.

8. Mrs Green Grass

pomelo / 5628 posts

@birdofafeather: my paperwork says 2 starting at 6-7 months. That seems like a lot! I think a "meal" would be considered about and ounce, maybe two.

9. pinkb

pear / 1599 posts

@birdofafeather: We have been doing 2, breakfast and dinner, but at our 6 month check up they said up it to 3. I am having a hard time getting that 3rd meal in so we are gonna stick with 2 for a little while longer.

10. yerpie110

nectarine / 2771 posts

@birdofafeather: we just had our 6-month apt on friday and our ped said to aim for 3 meals by 9 months. with that, i'm planning for 2 meals by 7 months and 3 meals by 8.5 months, and i feel pretty comfortable about that. tbh, 3 meals right now seems kind of a lot, but then again, i'm no doctor!

11. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

So I just bought these things called pouch pops-silicone spouts that you screw on to food pouches. L loved it -he fed himself dinner tonight!

12. Mrs Green Grass

pomelo / 5628 posts

@dagret: I have those or something similar. Dylan doesn't know how to suck on them, but I still love them!

Feeding is going much better over here! He's actually starting to open his mouth for the spoon which is major progress and I'm starting to measure in ounces instead of tablespoons!

13. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

how much are you all feeding your LOs? i've been aiming for two times a day, but honestly, sometimes she gets an ounce, maybe two? i don't push it because i overfed her carrots once and she threw it up a little. now when she is over it, i stop. but i can't help but feel like she should be getting more?

14. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@birdofafeather: Yeah, D gets fed at lunch at daycare and then with us at dinner. We defrost a 1.5oz ice cube of food every day, and it takes him 2 dinners to eat that. So he's not getting much. I don't know exactly how much he's eating at daycare. I do know that lately his eating is crap (even nursing and bottles) because of the teething and/or he had a virus last week. So maybe once those things pass he'll eat better. But I don't push him. When he tells us he's done, then he's done. I don't want to make it about forcing him to continue to eat - we're not going to be one of those "clean your plate" households.

15. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

@birdofafeather: L gets breakfast at daycare (1/2 container of baby food), Lunch at daycare (they *say* he eats a whole container), a snack at daycare (usually mum-mums), and then he eats dinner with us. He usually eats an entire container of baby food for dinner and whatever finger foods we give him. We went for crab legs last night and he was screaming for us to give him food faster - AFTER he ate the whole pouch!

16. swurlygurl

honeydew / 7091 posts

@dagret: Woah - champion eater!!

I gave in to purees, much to my dismay. I really wanted BLW to work, but everyone was freaking the eff out, and it's too hard to do with zero support and constant criticism.

SO, we've been doing carrots/cantaloupe, peas, peaches, and green beans/watermelon. She eats 3 icecubes-worth at daycare, and then 1 more ice cube at home.

How many oz of milk/formula are your babies drinking? L has been downing close to 40 oz every day! On top of all this food!? I try to distract her after finishing a bottle, but she is inconsolable until I give her more. I feel like that is a LOT of formula!

17. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

@swurlygurl: I do purees b/c it's easier to get ready for daycare, but we mix it up with BLW at dinner. Usually after he's eaten purees so he doesn't get as frustrated with his grasping.

L drinks 12 oz at daycare, plus 5-6 bf'ing sessions.

18. kayakgirl73

clementine / 750 posts

Food is going to be the death of me yet. She wants to do it herself but then food is everywhere. We also have trouble getting her to eat at night so daycare is getting the most food in her. She gets half a container of two different stage one purees so one who container a day. She gets 15 oz of BM at daycare and one 4oz formula bottle if needed. She will eat puffs if I give them to her. She can pick them up but hasn't figured out how to put them in her mouth yet. She also hates cereal, even mixed with peaches which I tried once. Do they have to have cereal?

I just bought a mesh feeder and a silicone feeder to try giving her some real food in. I though Miss feed herself might like them. I will try them this weekend.

19. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@kayakgirl73: D hasn't had cereal yet! It's been all veggies and fruit and yogurt. You can absolutely skip the cereal if she's not lovin it!

20. pinkb

pear / 1599 posts

I know most of you breastfeed, so not sure if you could really tell me, but has you LO decreased their milk intake a lot in switching to solids? Abi was eating 25 -30 oz of formula a day but for the last week or 2 we are lucky if she gets 20oz, very lucky I would say most days it is 16-18 oz. At first I thought it was from teething but her teeth finally broke through and she hasn't taken any more than 20oz a day. I read something that once kids start crawling and being mobile they need smaller portions throughout the day. So we have been trying 4oz every 3 hours but she still wont drink it all. She will drink half and then it is a fight to get her to take any more. I have gotten her to drink more water throughout the day, maybe an oz total. She is a great eater when it comes to solids and has never turned anything down, but the milk amount makes me worry. I have tried to cut back on solids and it doesn't make any difference in the amount of milk she will drink. The only thing that makes me think it is ok is that she doesn't get constipated so I think she is getting enough liquids and not getting dehydrated. I hate calling the Dr so thought I would check here first.

21. pl0508

GOLD / grapefruit / 4007 posts

@pinkb: j gets breastmilk but I EP . He dropped from 36-40 oz to 25-30 now that we ramped up his solids!

22. edelweiss

grapefruit / 4923 posts

@kayakgirl73: how did the mesh feeder go? i'm curious about those. is she picking up and eating the puffs by herself yet? we just started puffs this past weekend and there's no way he's getting those into his mouth by himself!

@dagret: we do something similar--purees for daycare and a mixture of BLW/purees at home.

@pinkb: sounds like she's eating a lot of solids--yay! E's been getting two serving of purees/cereal at daycare, probably about 4 oz total for a few weeks now. i've noticed that he's not finishing his last daycare bottle, and usually leaves about 4 oz.

@birdofafeather: how is feeding going? i think at this age it's pretty loosey goosey. honestly if it weren't for daycare, i doubt that E would be eating as much as he does now. daycare feeds him purees/cereal twice a day. at home i was primarily doing BLW so he wasn't really eating anything, just chewing and practicing. once in a while i've fed him a 3rd meal of purees/cereal in the evenings, but not always.

23. edelweiss

grapefruit / 4923 posts

@swurlygurl: i really wanted to do BLW also but we ended up doing a mixed approach. how has your LO liked green beans? i lovingly steamed and pureed farmers market green beans, and E doesn't like them. i tried mixing them with a lot of peas, and added in some tahini to make the sweeter, but he's like "i know you have pureed peaches in the cabinet so why don't you break that out".

24. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

@pinkb: At one point we were up to 3- 5 oz bottles at daycare but now we're back down to 3 4-oz bottles; and some days he doesn't quite finish those. So it's definitely declined somewhat!

L has just started to be able to pick up puffs. The mum-mum is definitely easier for him to handle though.

25. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@edelweiss: L hates green beans too. They're the only food she's rejected.

I don't know about her milk intake. She's still EBF. I think she's nursing more often though.

We've mostly moved on to table foods and BLW. She started refusing the spoon and feeding herself. She's surprisingly good at self feeding.

Funny side note. She has asparagus pee. Haha.

26. edelweiss

grapefruit / 4923 posts

@oliviaoblivia: what vegetables has she taken to? besides asparagus, that is i've tried spinach and peas (it has to be a lot of peas) and it's hit or miss.

27. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@edelweiss: peas, squash, lettuce (helped herself to my salad), beets, kale, chard, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, avocados, olives, eggplant, zucchini, cauliflower, and broccoli. She literally loves everything we give her except green beans.

28. kayakgirl73

clementine / 750 posts

@edelweiss: I didn't get around to the mess feeder this weekend. Time got away from me. She'll take puffs if I put them her mouth. She will also pick them up and drop them, One night she did pick up a few pieces and put them in her mouth. I'm going to see what she does witht hem tonight. She's eight months today. Jeez time flies.

She get's 12 oz of BM at daycare and usually 8oz of formula. I also nurse her first thing in the am, when I get home from work and before she goes to bed so idea how much she gets from actual nursing. She's getting about 2 oz of baby food a day. I probably need to ramp it up a bit. She gets most of her food at daycare as she is often too tired to eat at night.

29. allison

pear / 1895 posts

We're still not doing much in the way of solids here. I've tried a few things, but he just hasn't seemed to be ready yet. We HAVE been giving him some fruit in a mesh feeder every few days and he likes that! He's had frozen banana and mango that way. I'm hoping that will get him used to new flavors, then we can graduate to actually chewing/swallowing food pieces.

30. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

@pinkb: i don't know when they start dropping off, but an LC said that kiddos usually peak at 6 months with 32-36 oz and then drop to 16-20 oz by a year. has she picked up eating any more formula?

@edelweiss: she's definitely eating more! i've been trying to give her finger foods to practice, purees, pouches, silicone feeder, etc. for her to try it all out. i have recently been offering 3 times, but i'm not pushing. some days she really seems to want more than 2 oz, other days, she barely gets an ounce per sitting.

@allison: yeah, i think she just wasn't that interested, ready up until a couple weeks ago. now she grabs for what we're eating, can pick up pieces of food, etc. it's crazy how fast they get the hang of it!

31. swurlygurl

honeydew / 7091 posts

@edelweiss: She loves green beans! First I made purees watered down with watermelon (it was on the counter, waiting to be eaten, so I just threw it in), and then served with carrot purees. Now she can eat plain green bean puree by itself.

@oliviaoblivia: Mushrooms and eggplant! NICE!

I think I need to start introducing solid food again. We haven't been eating the best lately, so I haven't been able to offer any of our dinner to her (plus, I season everything spicy - I need to stop doing that!).

L is drinking 36 oz a day, and 12 ice cubes of purees (broken up into 3 'meals')

32. kayakgirl73

clementine / 750 posts

I tried the silicone Mesh feeder with some Canalope in it the other night. She sucked on it a bit, but I don't think she got much. Juice was running down her face though. She's taking more Purees, however we're still on stage one, thinking about trying stage two for more variety. She can pick up puffs and put them in her mouth her self now.

33. pinkb

pear / 1599 posts

We are back to about 20-25 oz a day which I am so much happier with (crossing fingers I am not jinxing it!) Nothing is safe around Abi she wants everything we have. Current favs are mango, kiwi, liverwurst, scrambled eggs with mushroom and cheese, and carrots slow cooked with the roast. She is doing great with picking up her own food too, I love to watch her it is so cute!

Anyone have people question what or how they feed LO? So far people either think its cool we feed her all kinds of "real" food and then try and give her stuff like cake while we arent looking( my sister did thisand MIL). Or they say she is too little for the things we are giving her and laugh like we are stupid ( lady in the grocery, my mom and my other sister). I dont care what people say, we are very happy with what we have chosen to feed her. But just wanted to see if anyone else is experienceing anything similar.

34. coastmama

cherry / 210 posts

Anyone exclusively on finger foods yet? I assume the ones that did BLW are. I'm looking for some more ideas. About 2-3 weeks ago we stopped purees because we were wasting so much. LO loves feeding himself and has been eating much better. We have a scrambled egg, wheat toast, and yogurt/fruit for breakfast. For lunch and dinner we've done (boiled) carrots, sweet potato, potato, green beans, peas, squash, and then for meat I've been buying the Gerber chicken and turkey sticks because I honestly don't know how to get the meat tender enough for him to eat. Now typing it out, I guess we have a good bit of variety, but I would love other ideas!

35. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

@coastmama: roasting things is super easy! We do that a lot with veggies.

We do roasted chicken and then shred it for her. She has teeth though so she can chew, although she gums a lot of stuff still and swallows that.

We do frozen peas and corn and then just heat up a bit for her at a time. We do hunks of cheese, she shovels quinoa, rice, cous cous in her mouth.

This thread has a ton of good ideas! http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/what-do-you-feed-a-lo-who-only-wants-to-self-feed-but-has-no-teeth

36. dagret

grapefruit / 4235 posts

@coastmama: we still do purees sometimes, but mainly we give L whatever we're eating for dinner. He LOVES shredded meat.

37. allison

pear / 1895 posts

It seems that we are unofficially down to 4 nursing sessions in 24 hrs. When he dropped his second nap, he started dropping his second daytime nursing session (I was nursing him after each nap. Now I usually only nurse him before his one nap). He also nurses at 6am, right before bed, and at 2am.

Does this mean I should start offering some other form of milk? I bought some hemp seeds with the intention of making some hemp milk. Where is everyone else with this?

ETA: Oh, and he's eating three full meals a day. I'm trying to make sure it's a balanced diet, but he's getting a bit particular about what he will eat! And it changes daily...

38. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@allison: L is down to three this week. Was four last week before I started back at work. She drinks about four ounces of WCM while I'm away. I'd like to up that number but she's been a little resistant. She nurses a ton when I get home and again before bed.
    She eats three big meals and two snacks. Her appetite has really increased in the last three weeks. I'm shocked at how much food she eats.
    Her one year appointment is next week, I'm planning on talking with her doc about milk intake. I worry she's not taking enough.

39. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

@oliviaoblivia: i was wondering how it was going with work and BFing!

@allison: R is still feeding 4 times a day and once overnight (AH!) but she's showing signs of dropping that second nap as well. i'm definitely going to talk to her ped in a couple weeks about other milks if i'm still BFing, as i am hoping that i pumped for the last time a couple weeks ago!

getting her a well-balanced diet is one of my biggest worries right now!

40. edelweiss

grapefruit / 4923 posts

@allison: we've been offering a straw cup of cow's milk with his meals (although sometimes i put in breastmilk to use up the freezer stash). he doesn't drink much, but it's good practice, i guess.

we still nurse in the morning and bedtime. i send three bottles to daycare, but he's been drinking only 3--he has a lot less of his bottles as the day goes on.

i've been thinking about weaning a lot, and don't really know what to do. i wanted to go with LO's cues, but don't know how much i should be nudging or not.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee