Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2014 moms!

1. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@Glitter: good luck!

2. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Glitter: going to be stalking this thread for updates! I am prob extra scared for you bc I've had this lingering fear the last 2 weeks I could be pregnant. Just feeling a bit off and I know it is probably a hormonal shift from pump weaning, but it still has me scared bc I've not yet had a period so there isn't any day to wait for. I've thought about buying a test for peace of mind but can't make myself do it.

3. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mae: are you on bc?

4. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

just took a FRER and only one line!!

5. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Glitter: yay! I am not but we use condoms

6. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@Glitter: Yay! Maybe the shot is making you feel off?

@Mae: good luck to you too. Not sure if it helps but it was totally obvious to me when ovulation returned so I had an idea when to test.

7. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@skipra: I prob won't test unless I get nauseous or something. I'm sure I'm not pregnant. Just paranoid lol

8. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@skipra: could be.. I can't seem to put my finger on what it is but I'm so happy that it's NOT pregnancy lol

9. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

@Glitter: glad it's what you wanted!

10. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

@Glitter: holy mackerel, I can't imagine! I might have fainted if I saw that. I guess what they say about "evaporation lines" is true!

11. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

@Mamasig: love your attitude about unexpected blessings

12. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Annnd we are officially back to crap sleep. The last two nights had been bad, last night was almost record bad.

Bah......

Getting asleep is not the problem, he looooves to go to bed. It's staying asleep. He's not even going 3 hours right now. Like 1.5/2 and it's SO hard not to cave and nurse sooner than 3 hours (something he has no problem with daytime).

He's killing me, my mental health is soooo awful these last few days, like I wish I could just walk away.

13. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: I'm so sorry Have you tried putting DH on duty and going to another room where you can't hear him? I did that Sat night because I just needed a break. I told him to get me when she needed to eat and otherwise leave me be. Weirdly she had a better night. He said she woke up a ton but would just go back to sleep on her own if he let her be for a few minutes. Which makes me think that maybe I go to her to soon? But I have an issue waiting her out because I'm always so worried that if I leave her she will escalate. So I don't know. She does better than C though and we still have good nights and bad... if every night was bad I think I'd be struggling a lot more.

14. sungirl

apricot / 309 posts

@Glitter: wow! I was on pins and needles
    @Beebug: I feel you! My baby is sleeping good though. It's my 2 year old who's sleeping is crap plus the tantrums and whining I feel like I might lose my s'

15. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Mae: DH has a huge commute, I won't bug him weekdays. We live in a bungalow, so there's no escaping anyone's noise. I try to wait on going in to him, but walk a fine line with DD sleeping too, thankfully she's doing great since we cut her paci's Friday.

Just seems so endless, I know it will end either by itself or via CIO somehow/eventually, but I don't see the light on the down days.

I wish I could go to work just to get a break, given my work, I know I'm insane for saying that. Just need a change of pace.

16. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@sungirl: the tantrums are insane, she's not even two yet! And if I hear the word "mine" one more time? Omg!

17. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: you're not insane. I've thought that on bad days too. I love her and i'm so grateful I get to be home with her right now... but sometimes I do think it would be a little easier if I got a mental break ever. right now 24/7 is focused on baby for me, and its hard.

18. sungirl

apricot / 309 posts

@Mae: @Beebug: work is a nice break sometimes

19. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

@sungirl: @Mae: @Beebug: As much as I love my boys and miss them terribly during the day, I'm very happy I work. I enjoyed my maternity leave but going to work makes me a better more engaged mom. I get that break from them so when I'm with them I savor every moment. I don't even mind getting up at night because I see it as another opportunity to be with my baby. I know I wouldn't feel the same if I was a SAHM. Then I would need that break I'm sure.

20. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Mamasig: I loved that on mat leave #1 I definitely learned I am a working Mom. I thought before kids I might want to stay home, but definitely no. I will come around to being grateful for this time off, heck even one good night makes such a difference on the next day.

such a catch, I signed up for this, but am in such a rough place I feel I'm wishing it away, awful guilt, it's not a fun place. Hard to talk to anyone on feeling like this. Doc next Monday for C's 4m, but I know this is just a time thing.

21. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

@Beebug: Lack of sleep is such a hard thing. It makes me feel crazy. I hope little guy starts sleeping better for you. My older son is my challenging sleeper still at 2 years old. I can't wait for the day he doesn't fight sleep!

22. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@Beebug: I understand trying to do it all for the sake of DH's works sake. I do that too. I think SAH makes me feel like I have to? But sometimes it gets rough and I just have to sit a screaming session out while DH deals with it. Yeah, it probably sucks for him the next day at work but I don't think it's fair for moms to feel like we have to do everything just because we birthed then. It's easier said than done, but I'm trying to take my own advice now that they don't need to eat at every wake up. I really hope nights either ease up or you can find a way to get a break. Does he take bottles? Can you see if a family member or friend can stay a night sometime? You can call it a romantic night away with DH even if it's really just a night away from the kids. I think that's allowed.

23. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

I find that I don't miss going to work at all... but that could be because I work from home a few days a week and manage our home business.. so my mind is not 24/7 on baby. Maybe because he's so easy going though, I think I'd be happy being strictly SAH still.

Yesterday was DH's birthday and we left Gio with DH's parents again. It was apparently another scream fest. For some reason he just HATES it over there. He is an awesome baby everywhere else, even without DH and I around, but once he hits DH's parents house, he gets inconsolable. We had to leave dinner early and didn't get any quality time really... as soon as we went across and saw him he was all smiles again. Last Friday DH and I went out for the night and left Gio with SIL for hours... and he was great! I just don't get it :s.

24. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

Sooo LO has learned to undo his own diaper...

25. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

@anandam: ugh, I don't look forward to that. DS1 turned 2 on Friday and has turned into a different kid at times. What tantrums! OMG

26. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@anandam: nooooooooooo lol

@Glitter: aw, i'm sorry that he won't stay with your inlaws!

We are definitely feeling incapable of leaving Fia... ever. basically. I had an all-day wedding I was shooting on Friday and she actually did okay(ish) for my husband which was soooo great because she usually won't let anyone but me feed or put her to sleep. It was a rough start but after a while I think that she gave in a bit and the latter half of the day went okay. But then DH tried 3 times on saturday and 3 times on sunday to feed/put her to sleep and every time was a fail Yesterday I had a photoshoot and had to be gone for 2 hours and he was supposed to put her down 15 min after I left. When I got home 2 hrs later she was still SCREAAAMING. And of course the moment I took her she started to calm and was asleep in under 5 minutes I just feel so bad because he is trying so hard and doing everything right and she just is such a stubborn baby! She wants mom and she will scream for hours until I'm available Which makes me feel horrible because I already have commitments (just photo stuff so only a few hours/week, but still) I can't really get out of. Nor do I want to get out of it because I enjoy my photo business and I'd like to keep working!

Also this weekend we had my family over (my parents, who Fia sees a few times per month-- and my brother/sil who she sees at least once/month) and Fia started getting stranger anxiety or something? She screamed every time my dad or brother picked her up. So weird. I'm starting to think she's just really understanding the differences between people already (seems early but okay?) and is just a bit of a stubborn kid in terms of who can do what with her.

27. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

@Mamasig: @Mae: He definitely doesn't know what he's doing, but his little grabby fingers have got those tabs and opened 'em right up when we use disposables. I guess with the weather changing he'll have clothes blocking access more often, so it may not be an issue, but at first I thought, oh no...

I haven't left our guy for more than a few hours yet, either, and even then it's only been with DH. Our family is all air travel away and we don't really have any friends with kids who we'd trust to watch him yet. And he also usually has a meltdown and refuses sleep with DH, so Fia's not the only one! I agree that it seems stranger anxiety has started. Sometimes he's fine, but we had a few visitors last week and he just screamed when they greeted him.

28. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

Baby boy had his 4 month visit today. He's 20 lbs 1 oz and 25 3/4 inches. He is such a chunk! We got the ok to start baby food. I've noticed he watches and stares when we eat now. Poor thing probably thinks it looks better then his bottle!

29. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@anandam: Oh my! Not looking forward to that development in my LOs!

@Glitter: @Mae: Alice has some separation anxiety too. She will go to others fine 75% of the time, but if she is tired or sleepy or just in a mood it is all about me. What's funny is she's not at all needy about me holding her when we are alone during the day. She's fine playing in the bouncer or the swing while I nurse Blake, as long as she can look up and make eye contact with me. It's just when others are around that she gets really clingy to me. She's going through some bottle refusal too, so I know that is part of it.

@Mamasig: Big boy!! Let me know how he does with baby food. We tried it and my kids loved it, but it was causing Blake some distress in the middle of the night trying to poop. Since our night sleep is chaos right now, we decided to put solids on hold and try again later.

My kids have their first colds! I thought they had a cold last week because they were sniffly, but it's nothing compared to what we've been dealing with for the last 24 hours! Rivers of nasal drainage and low grade fevers and coughing. Poor babies. Night sleep has been rough lately but it reached a new low last night. I ended up sleeping in the recliner in the nursery with one baby and when the other would wake up, DH would come in and switch them, haha. I've been sick and so sleep deprived that I'm not even sure what was going on. But we managed to keep them mostly happy for 3.5 straight hours. Better than the constant up and down and crying every hour for the first part of the night. I'm making naps #1 priority today in a hope that we can beat this bad sleep cycle. Pretty sure they've been chronically overtired for the last 3 weeks. I'm reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins but I'm so tired I'm not sure what I'm reading half the time. And if I see "drowsy but awake" one more time I'm going to scream!

30. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@anandam: Oh no! DS1 didn't start doing that til he was way older and the key was to keep him in onsies!

@Mamasig: Wow, what a big boy! Our little guy was the same height at his appointment but only 13lbs 6oz! We got the go ahead to start solids too but I was planning to wait until closer to 6 months. The little guy is just so interested though that I let him have a taste of banana and he LOVED it. So I gave him a tiny bit of squash on my finger and he sucked it off. I put a tiny bit on a spoon and he shoveled it in his mouth. Last night I let him gnaw on a banana and he actually ate a couple bites. I guess he's starting solids a little earlier than I originally planned.

@Mae: Aww sorry you are having trouble leaving Fia It's probably pretty normal, right? I mean you are with her like all day, every day so you're her world. I think it's funny how clueless DH can be with G, considering this is our second. Granted the boys are totally different but still... like just yesterday I put G in the swing for a nap (please don't judge me for still doing that - it works and is a life saver so whatever!) so I could get W down for his nap. I came downstairs and DH was just standing in front of the swing looking at G, who was still awake. I was like, what are you doing? And DH was just like, I don't know he wasn't sleeping so I thought I'd stand here. I made him walk away and surprise surprise G went right to sleep! DH thought I wanted to get him to sleep or something. I have no clue!

31. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

@twodoghouse: poor things! I put Vicks on the feet and cover with socks. Possibly an old wives tale, but I do it anyway.

And I hate "drowsy but awake"! What if your kid is never drowsy? My older son hardly ever drifts off to sleep. He fights and fights until he passes out. And he's been like that since he was born. The other night he actually climbed into his toddler bed and fell asleep by himself! I thought it was a miracle. Now his little brother is a sleeper. I still don't understand drowsy but awake. But I guess little brother does understand the concept.

32. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@twodoghouse: Aww poor babies! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

33. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@skipra: Thanks!

@Mamasig: We've been doing the baby Vicks and socks! Drowsy but awake worked for a hot second during our baby sleep bliss period at 3.5 months. Now it's like a bad joke. This book in reading keeps talking about catching the baby's drowsy wave and then putting them down for naps. Which is all well and good if we could all sit there and stare at our kids waiting for one to blink three times in a row or something. But who has time for that? Especially if you have another child to look after!

34. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

@twodoghouse: Oh how sad! Is this post vaccine or just random? Sooo not looking forward to our first cold. Extra rough that you've caught one yourself Fx for fast recovery!

@Mamasig: So many big boys from this board! What was in the water last August?! We're at 17.5lb and 26.8in, but 20!!! You must be getting such a workout carrying him around.

35. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

@anandam: he's taking after his older brother! They are pretty much in the exact % for weight, height, and head circumference. My older son doesn't look as chubby- he's solid. I wonder how little brother will grow.

36. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@twodoghouse: @skipra: yep i know this is normal but its still hard on us (dh esp). I think if we could get back to where we were a month or so ago when all we had to do to put fia to sleep was wait until she was tired (she has cleeeear signals) and stick her in her bed then she'd let him do it. i think we are still on the tail end of some regression stuff but also at this point i think getting rocked to sleep is just habit. so starting today i'm trying to swaddle wean her. ped said it will be easier for her to self-soothe if she has her arms if/when we sleep train, so I think this is a necessary first step. its been a sort of rough day but not horrible. since we've been doing the double swaddle with an a&a then the swaddle sack to really make a tight swaddle i decided to take a 3 step weaning approach. today she is in her a&a blanket swaddled but then just zipped into a sleep sack with the arm holes sewed closed. so she's sort of swaddled but not nearly as snug as usual. after she is used to this i think we'll remove the a&a and just zip her into the sleep sack with arm holes sewn so she can move around somewhat but not smack herself in the face. once she's ok with that i'll open the arm holes and just let her sleep in the sleep sack as intended. hopefully this makes the transition not too horrible?? Or at least do-able. I've tried a few time now swaddling her with one or both arms out and i've never been able to get hr to sleep that way, she just cries and rubs her eyes until i swaddle her.

37. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

Resurrecting the defunct thread!! I'd love to hear what you guys' schedules are currently like. Over the last few weeks we finally have one but it still feels a bit rushed. Our typical day:

6-6:30am: Fia gets up and my husband takes her downstairs

7:30am: First bottle (6.75 oz)

8am-10am: I take her up for her first nap. I'm still holding her for all naps, but by doing that she generally will nap for 2+ hrs.

10am: Best time for solids I think. But some days we have errands to run at this point and then I don't know when to do solids.

11:30am: 2nd bottle (6-8 oz). If she seems really tired sometimes I'll let her take a 15 min catnap at this point, otherwise we power through.

1-3pm: 2nd nap (I hold her again)

3:30pm- 3rd bottle (6-8 oz)

5-6:30pm- 3rd nap (I hold her again)

7:30pm- bed time (I know it is weird to have her last nap so close to bed, but if she is up more than 1 hr before we start bedtime she melts down and is impossible to get to sleep. she's weird.) Bath e/o night. Bottle, books, song, bed. We just started sleep training last night so I don't have to rock her to sleep and hold her all night or cosleep. So far so good, but its only been one night (but she did sleep in her crib all night and i never once picked her up after 8pm last night!!!)

She hasn't wanted to eat MOTN since 2 mo so that isn't an issue. Overnights are still a work in progress. Hence sleep training.

38. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@Mae: Our schedule is still awake-time based, not clock based, but here's a rough outline of what it's been lately.

5:00 on the dot they are AWAKE. Wtf? Sometimes we can get them back down until 6ish, but not always. I usually nurse one then the other for as long as I can until they both are like super awake and then we go downstairs. Blake gets his medicine. Both get 2 oz bottles and nurse again.

1.5 hrs after wake up - 4 oz bottles and nurse to sleep for nap 1. This nap is starting to improve and they usually sleep an hour before starting crying. As long as it's only one baby crying I can keep the nap going to 2 hrs by nursing or rocking. After waking, Blake will take a bottle and nurse.

1 hr after nap wake up Alice might take a 4 oz bottle. Sometime give Blake 2 oz bottle here too. Both nurse and lately we've been trying to get solids in here too.

2 hr after nap wake up Alice gets 2 or 4 oz bottle, Blake gets 4 oz bottle. Both nurse to sleep. Nap lasts between 45 min and 2 hrs. (Different everyday) I isually end up nursing one or both of them back to sleep mid nap. When they wake Blake takes 4 oz bottle. Alice might take a bottle?

1 hr after nap Alice takes 4 oz bottle. Both nurse.

2 hr after nap wake up they both get 4 oz bottles and nurse. I try for a nap here but they've been rejecting it.

3 hr after nap wake up they usually go down for a cat nap (nurse to sleep). Only sleep for 20-40 minutes. Nurse or bottles when they wake up.

1-2 hr after wake up (depending on what time it is) they get bath, books, bottles, nurse then down for the night. Lately they've been up between 3-5 times each in the night. I generally nurse them and Blake sometimes eats a couple bottles (2 oz) in the night).

ETA: I've really been wanting to do a day in the life log of one of our days at 6 months. I already can't remember what the newborn days were like! Maybe this post will be my motivation!

39. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@twodoghouse: OMG they both eat so often!

40. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@Mae: I knowwww! They eat a ton per day too. Sometimes Blake gets to 30 oz of (high calorie) formula per day + nursing. No wonder he's gained 12 lbs since birth! I think eating frequently is really good for his reflux and helps minimize spit up, but I wish we could go longer between feedings!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee