Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2014 Names

1. gingerblonde

cherry / 184 posts

@Mae: So have you come to a consensus yet?? I am so curious! I really do like both - you're not going to make a 'bad' choice - but I get what you're saying about feeling like you are losing something by picking one.

We 'decided' on Alicia Claire... and I made the foolish error of sharing with my friends, and not just my safe board buddies! Of course, the response was lukewarm at best, and not impressed at worst. And now, as stupid as it is, I am feeling insecure about our choice. I like the name and that should be all that matters... but I am surprised that no one has told me that it's great or beautiful or that they like it. There has been criticism from all fronts. Is there something I'm not considering about this name?

2. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@gingerblonde: whaaaat? I'm so surprised that you haven't gotten great responses! I guess Alicia is not super popular right now (although it is still in the top 300!), but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It's not like "Jessica" which I think peaked and would sound really sort of odd/dated on a new baby. I think it has definitely lasting power. I think Alicia Claire is beautiful!

And no, we haven't discussed it anymore. Sort of shockingly to myself-- I'm kind of cool just living in indecision until a decision presents itself to me. But I have also sort of decided that until I make another decision, she's Fiona June. It is my husband's favorite and what he calls her, and I like calling her something. But we're just not telling anyone we're calling her that in case I change my mind at some point (But I do sort of think it will be Fiona June)

3. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

@gingerblonde: People are so weird about names. We haven't told anybody our top considerations except by accident when it slipped out, and both times it got a weird confused look and they repeated the name as if something gross was in their mouths while they said it. Some friends just keep calling the baby what they want them to be named - Diego, Serafina, Natasha... we're like, um. None of those are this child's name.

So I say stick with it if you love it. It's lovely, it's special but not weird. There's nothing I can think of that makes it unappealing - Maybe people have an aversion to a famous Alicia? Or to a stinky kid who they went to school with? Or an ex? Could be anything. I also think people just like to express opinions about all things pregnancy/parenting related, and don't always think about how they affect the receiver.

4. gingerblonde

cherry / 184 posts

@Mae: @anandam: Thank you both - that is very kind and validating. I know in my head that it's a nice name and there isn't anything weird about it.. but for some reason, I am being affected much more than I thought I would be by the lack of enthusiasm from my girlfriends. I'm going to try to get a grip! Thanks again.

5. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@gingerblonde: We picked a similar first name (Alice) so I'm a little biased, but I think Alicia is beautiful! Also, my favorite aunt is named Alicia, so I have such a great association with that name. I'm sorry that responses to your choice have been lukewarm. I think people are just weird about names sometimes. I am afraid to tell many people our names because I want everyone to love the names as much as I do, and I know they are not everyone's cup of tea. They aren't weird names (at least, I don't think so!) but they are probably not the style of a lot of people I know, so we're mostly keeping them to ourselves. I just don't want to hear anyone's less than enthusiastic response because they are perfect to me! Alicia Claire is perfect to you (and your SO, I assume) and that is ALL that matters!

6. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

DH and I added Connor to our boy name likes. He hasn't added anything to girl name ideas, and well....I haven't pushed, LOL.

Colin
    Connor
    Lauren
    Nathalie

is about where we're at, ha!

7. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

I still go back and forth between Otis and Owen. We have decided to stick with one of the two and not introduce any others. We'll decide when he's born. No emergency girl name choices either as DH has finally accepted the fact that its a boy. I think if it were a girl we might have gone with Nora Helen.

@gingerblonde: I really like Alicia and it sounds so pretty with Claire!

@Beebug: Well at least you don't have to worry about the H in Nathalie

8. gingerblonde

cherry / 184 posts

@twodoghouse: I am now, of course, wishing I hadn't told anyone. We love the name Alice - it's DH's grandmother's name - which is actually how we came to Alicia! I think it's beautiful, good work.

@skipra: Thank you! All the awesome feedback from the May mamas definitely makes me feel better, thanks y'all!

9. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@skipra: LOL you are right.

10. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@gingerblonde: I'm not a May mom but I was lurking and have to say - Alicia Claire is absolutely lovely! I'm sorry you haven't received a better response on the name front - some people just don't have a clue and don't know when to shut up. And that's a beautiful name, so clearly those folks don't have much in the way of taste! (fwiw, we announced our unborn DD's name --Marlowe Rose -- and not one person IRL has said anything positive either. It is what it is. :()

11. gingerblonde

cherry / 184 posts

@coopsmama: Thank you!! And Marlowe is FABULOUS. Would it kill people to be a little supportive sometimes?!

12. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@coopsmama: What is the deal with people? Geez! I love the name Marlowe!

13. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@gingerblonde: @twodoghouse: Thanks. We love it and that's what matters I suppose! I think sometimes people just don't know what to say (when a simple, "congratulations! That's a great name!" would suffice) so they end up saying something stupid instead.

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee